The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Officially official! 

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-united-appoints-new-manager-david-moyes.aspx

Manchester United appoints new manager

• Manchester United Board unanimously approves the recommendation of Sir Alex Ferguson

• Moyes to take the helm on 1 July

• Committed to long-term in 6 year deal

NYSE:MANU, Manchester UK. David Moyes will take over as the Manager of Manchester United from the 2013/14 season.

David, 50, has been the Everton manager since 2002, joining after a successful spell as manager of Preston North End.

Announcing his successor, Sir Alex Ferguson said: 

"When we discussed the candidates that we felt had the right attributes we unanimously agreed on David Moyes.  David is a man of great integrity with a strong work ethic. I've admired his work for a long time and approached him as far back as 1998 to discuss the position of Assistant Manager here. He was a young man then at the start of his career and has since gone on to do a magnificent job at Everton. There is no question he has all the qualities we expect of a manager at this Club.”

Sir Bobby Charlton said:

“I have always said that we wanted the next manager to be a genuine Manchester United man. In David Moyes, we have someone who understands the things that make this such a special club. We have secured a man who is committed to the long-term and will build teams for the future as well as now. Stability breeds success.

“David has tremendous strength of character and recognises the importance of bringing young players through and developing them alongside world class talent.  At United, I think David will be able to express himself.  I’m delighted he has accepted and I’m

Last edited:
With regards to Man U, how is this team being run financially? I know the Glazers "inherited" a ton of debt when they bought the team but it's currently listed at $571 mill (US). I mean that's enough debt that should have everyone in the finance dept & members of the Glazer family losing sleep. The Glazer's also financed most of the money to purchase Man U also using very little of their own money (buying on credit, the American way)

They had bond issued back in 2010 that raised $657 million & then a 10% "flotation" on the New York stock exchange raising an additional $197 mill. Why on earth is the debt still so high?

The exact moment Fergie realised David Moyes was the man to replace him...

In addition to Copa90's youtube channel (for entertainment value), I keep forgetting Goal.com's youtube channel. Here is episode #4 of Transfer Talk. Thialgo Sliva's agent talking about Barca... :x :D but I'd rather have Hummels if we could get him. Also a fun vid of Beck's kids kicking the ball around with Ibra & Silva..

i didnt think the glazers inherited debt, i thought the debt came from them borrowing money to buy the team. Also from what i got from reading articles is Uniteds financial survival teeters on them qualifying for UCL every yr and money from winning a cup or two. The money just covers the interest on the loan :x :smh: ... I think alot of reds (myself included) look at what happened to Rangers and have fear that our club too can become victim. This is why alot of reds were starting the whole anti-glazier movement (green/gold scarves, etc).

^ I think you're right, when they purchased the club back in 04 or 05, they saddled the team with $850 mill :smile:x) in debt with interest payments at apprx $78 mill a year. They paid down a lot of the debt since then (a staggering amount paid down if you think about it), but it seems like they've maxed out what they can pay in terms of big chunks without selling the team or selling a larger chunk..

David Moyes first match in charge is likely going to be the Community Shield against city, let the games begin

The Man U fans I work with are a little miffed about the Moyes hiring. Their worried that he doesn't have any CL experience & not a single piece of silverware. They all wanted to see Jose hired. They thought it made for the perfect storm.

I wonder what circumstances led to Pep declining the Man U offer? Sir Alex, Gill, & a member of the Glazer family met him in NYC late last summer which is well before he accepted the Bayern job. It sound like Moyes is getting a lot of control from the youth system & to first team so control shouldn't have been an issue.

I really don't think Pep rates the premier lg, that or being the manager right after SAF is not the most ideal shoes to fill. Who knows

I don't think anyone expected the retirement to coming as soon as it did, Pep couldn't wait any longer. Feel like this has to do with the surgery he has coming up, hope his health isn't going under.

EDIT:
Originally, I wanted Mourinho to take the position but UTD needs stability. Mourinho won't give us that.

Last edited:
I really don't think Pep rates the premier lg, that or being the manager right after SAF is not the most ideal shoes to fill. Who knows

I don't even trust Pep after him throwing his toys out of the cot and going on a vacation because he went through a season of not winning.

I do respect Moyes for doing a pretty good job at Everton of keeping them relatively competitive (especially in the past 5 years or so), with little to no resources over a period of 12 odd years.

Does this mean United will get Fellaini now? :nerd:

Ronaldinho still doing all those tricks with a big pot belly. Good for him. :lol:

When you sit back and think about the Moyes hiring it makes too much sense, especially when Alex Ferguson had the decision.

I wonder what circumstances led to Pep declining the Man U offer? Sir Alex, Gill, & a member of the Glazer family met him in NYC late last summer which is well before he accepted the Bayern job. It sound like Moyes is getting a lot of control from the youth system & to first team so control shouldn't have been an issue.

:lol: Same as Mourinho. For up and coming managers, sure United is a dream job. But Pep and Jose have already been managers of the two biggest clubs so they're not looking at the United job with heart shaped glasses like other managers would be.

The fact that United fans still fail to realize this is another testament to how full of yourselves you are. It's not every manager's dream drop to manage your club. Especially the likes of managers who have already established themselves as the best in Europe.

:lol: at Ibra and Beckham's sons. I'm pretty sure all of them were on trial at Chelsea. Reminds me of how Zidane's children, all three boys are at the Real Madrid youth academy. With him getting his credentials soon, couldn't ask for a better "teacher" :lol: As fan's we always want the son's of established players of our clubs to succeed.

I haven't gotten a chance to go over the official press release from United but I'm sure one thing going against Mourinho is his lack of bringing up youth through. For big clubs that is a must, especially United. City and Chelsea are coming around with state of the art facilities. But the their stability is an issue, more so Chelsea.

I don't think the "youth aspect" is an issueat all. The problem with someone like Mourinho or Pep is they would come in and want complete control, they'd do it there way.

With Moyes he's a fellow countryman of Fergie, and I'm sure behind the scenes Alex Ferguson is going to be running things for a little longer. You could not do that with Mourinho or Pep. Plus Moyes would be the type of guy who would stay forever, Pep and Mourinho track record have shown long stability is not always there priority.

It's going to be interesting if Man United in a couple years don't do well. We'll see how the management and fans react then.

:lol: Same as Mourinho. For up and coming managers, sure United is a dream job. But Pep and Jose have already been managers of the two biggest clubs so they're not looking at the United job with heart shaped glasses like other managers would be.

The fact that United fans still fail to realize this is another testament to how full of yourselves you are. It's not every manager's dream drop to manage your club. Especially the likes of managers who have already established themselves as the best in Europe.

:lol: At any Chelsea fan calling another fan base arrogant, PLEASE :lol:

Can't wait for my daughter to start playing soccer :pimp: ...think ima buy her a lil soccer ball for the summer since she runs very well now (only 1.5) :lol:

im a man u fan cuz of my father..but don't keep up wit soccer overall..can yall tell me if the team im good hands wit the new guy or not??

Back
Top Bottom