The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Aside from gus being a terrible footy announcer, his taste in suits is terrible. I mean he gets allowances outside of his salary for suits & has access to stylists & that's what he comes up with? Get him the eff off of footy broadcasts....

Last edited:
As much as I don't want Neymar on Barca, comparing the Brasilian league to the D-League isn't accurate at all. Of course it's not as strong as La Liga, Bundesliga, and the Premier League, but people make it sound like Neymar was playing in the MLS or something. Let's also not forget that Corinthians (a Brasilian team) won the club world cup. The Brasileirao has made huge strides in the past few years with the growth of the economy over there, and they've been able to retain a large number of solid players who would've gone to Europe in the past.

I don't think he's the 2nd coming of Ronaldinho or some bull @#$%, but to say he's an average player? Nah. 21 year old average players don't even start for mid tier European clubs
Quoted for real talk.

Aside from gys being a terrible footy announcer, his taste in suits is terrible. I mean he gets allowances outside of his salary for suits & has access to stylists & that's what he comes up with? Get him the eff off of footy broadcasts....

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I like enthusiasm and like I said Fox basically threw this at him this year...he's learning.
What's the difference between Ray Hudson's orgasms about Messi (which are hilarious and wayyyyyy over the top) and Gus :rofl: ?

Look we can't get Martin Tyler or Ian Darke to call every game after all

Check this article out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/s...broadcast-of-soccer-final.html?pagewanted=all

Dude had literally NO experience calling soccer, let alone basic formations prior to a year ago....I'll criticize FOX for putting him in the spotlight so soon but they're grooming him for the WC when they have it, I guess they wanted an American voice. He'll learn over time, but the guy is putting in an effort, hell I can't even pronounce all the German, Serbian, other European names right and to have to do it so quickly without ANY experience is gonna be rough at first. But give Gus a chance fellas He's learning on the job so it's gonna be rough

In fact I would LOVE a Gus Johnson/Ray Hudson El Classico :lol: that would be incredible

"they should name a constellation in the heavens after Lionel Messi :rofl:"

Last edited:
Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I like enthusiasm and like I said Fox basically threw this at him this year...he's learning.
What's the difference between Ray Hudson's orgasms about Messi (which are hilarious and wayyyyyy over the top) and Gus :rofl: ?

Look we can't get Martin Tyler or Ian Darke to call every game after all

Check this article out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/s...broadcast-of-soccer-final.html?pagewanted=all

Dude had literally NO experience calling soccer, let alone basic formations prior to a year ago....I'll criticize FOX for putting him in the spotlight so soon but they're grooming him for the WC when they have it, I guess they wanted an American voice. He'll learn over time, but the guy is putting in an effort, hell I can't even pronounce all the German, Serbian, other European names right and to have to do it so quickly without ANY experience is gonna be rough at first. But give Gus a chance fellas He's learning on the job so it's gonna be rough

In fact I would LOVE a Gus Johnson/Ray Hudson El Classico :lol: that would be incredible

"they should name a constellation in the heavens after Lionel Messi :rofl:"

That's exactly the point, it's not the enthusiasm. It's that he doesn't know much about the sport and doesn't know half the people on the pitch. Why even have someone like that doing commentary? His random facts that he throws in are pointless. "TURKISH PARENTS!!!"

^^ :lol: I hear you but he's learning all that...he's coming from an American college bball environment where its FILLED with useless facts and statistics. He's gonna only get better, with things like letting the game speak for itself and pauses....but you're right I dunno why Fox cast this on him with so much so quickly. He's only gonna get to know the names through practice an repetition and studying the game more. If he's still doing the same stuff in a year or two yrs then it might be time to yank the experiment imo

Comparing Gus Johnson and Ray Hudson? Nah.

Ray Hudson is over the top on purpose.  It's the equivalent of Bill Walton saying "That was the best _____ in the history of Western civilization."

Gus is just wrong. I know he's just getting started and needs experience, but I'm still going to laugh at him for a totally different reason than Ray Hudson.

Supposedly Dortmund are trying to get Barcelona B attacker Gerard Deulofeu on loan for next yr...trying to get a Goetze replacement. Don't know a thing about him but it seems like he put up good numbers in the second Spanish league, only 19 too plus getting minutes next yr at Camp Nou would be damn near impossible

Supposedly Dortmund are trying to get Barcelona B attacker Gerard Deulofeu on loan for next yr...trying to get a Goetze replacement. Don't know a thing about him but it seems like he put up good numbers in the second Spanish league, only 19 too plus getting minutes next yr at Camp Nou would be damn near impossible

Anyone know is Dortmund is looking at Amin Younes? Kid is a lite Gotze and is highly rated in Germany. Would be a nice fit.

I like Deuloefu though. Shows good promise. German league would suit his style of play nicely.

i think Deuloefu is signing for liverpool this summer unless that was someone different which could be, dortmund has bittencourt as well, i think him and gotze are the same age but bittencourt isnt as hyped

Deuloufu would be good on a loan. Havent seen much of him to see if he'd be a good permanent replacement..

He looks German enough too :lol:

BVB should go for a Julian Draxler type player.. or start to play Nuri Sahin (is he injured?)

All I want this summer is for someone to buy Torres. Even if it's a free transfer just pick up his wages and take him away please. But nobody wants him. |I

LyonBC1 & anyone else that likes Gus, I respect the fact you like him however I don't. I hate how he tries to infuse American terms into his broadcasts. Its sounds terrible. He needs to model himself after another American BEIN's Phil Schoen. Also as a professional broadcaster, not pronouncing the names correctly is a no no. That's the one thing you really need to get right & gus can't even do that.

Schoen is the gold standard for any American Futbol broadcasters. He's extremely knowledgeable about the sport. Comparing gus to Ray Hudson is also woefully incorrect. It's like saying an egg roll is comparable to Texas BBQ. Ray Hudson knows the sport, gus doesn't. I put most of the blame on a lazy corporation like fox though. The pairing of Schoen & Hudson is my favorite. It would be perfect if my provider had BEIN in HD.

The 3 young players I don't want the Blaugrana to lose are Alcantara, Deulofeu, & middie Sergi Samper. If Barca loses Alcantara, then I definitely don't want them to lose Samper. He could end up being the next Xavi also. If any teams had a halfway decent scouting dept, they would raid Barca of these guys ASAP. Also to a lesser extent, add forward Jean Marie Dongou.

Loaning out Deulofeu would be good for him. I'd like to see what he could do playing for Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

for me that's the one redeemable factor in Gus Johnson's soccer announcing.... I hate when non European folks try to speak all proper English and "footballish" (hell I notice it in this thread).

I like Gus bringing some Americanism into it. It's much needed IMO and removes some of the soccer snobbery stigma that comes with watching soccer. It should help attract more fans, beyond just Gus Johnson's appeal

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer a European to call soccer games....sounds weird when it's an American :lol: ...I will say Gus was decent on Saturday

I've grown accustomed to hearing a british voice calling a game over the years.... but I welcome hearing an American voice

Deuloufu would be good on a loan. Havent seen much of him to see if he'd be a good permanent replacement..

He looks German enough too :lol:

BVB should go for a Julian Draxler type player.. or start to play Nuri Sahin (is he injured?)
Sahin isnt getting playing time I assume, because of just being placed back into the squad after being sold back to Dortmund from Real Madrid. He played for a little bit, during the champions league final against Bayern Munich though. He probably will get more playing time next season.

people are forgetting about christian eriksen i think he would be nice at Dortmund, or they could attempt to get kroos though older than eriksen, i think he would probably cost less and do the same job

LyonBC1 & anyone else that likes Gus, I respect the fact you like him however I don't. I hate how he tries to infuse American terms into his broadcasts. Its sounds terrible. He needs to model himself after another American BEIN's Phil Schoen. Also as a professional broadcaster, not pronouncing the names correctly is a no no. That's the one thing you really need to get right & gus can't even do that.

Schoen is the gold standard for any American Futbol broadcasters. He's extremely knowledgeable about the sport. Comparing gus to Ray Hudson is also woefully incorrect. It's like saying an egg roll is comparable to Texas BBQ. Ray Hudson knows the sport, gus doesn't. I put most of the blame on a lazy corporation like fox though. The pairing of Schoen & Hudson is my favorite. It would be perfect if my provider had BEIN in HD.

The 3 young players I don't want the Blaugrana to lose are Alcantara, Deulofeu, & middie Sergi Samper. If Barca loses Alcantara, then I definitely don't want them to lose Samper. He could end up being the next Xavi also. If any teams had a halfway decent scouting dept, they would raid Barca of these guys ASAP. Also to a lesser extent, add forward Jean Marie Dongou.

Loaning out Deulofeu would be good for him. I'd like to see what he could do playing for Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

Not only does when he use his own terms sound bad but I think it would be confusing to people new to the sport. Big fan of Schoen and Hudson. You're right, FOX is mostly to blame. I mean, we know why they did....but's risky and silly. I would love to see stats, ratings and etc on games that Gus has called. And in comparison to games that he hasn't called.

Arsenal has been trying to do this. We're set to sign our 4th Barca academy player(Miquel, Bellerin, Toral and Pleguezuelo is to come) and maybe another one. We were in talks with 3 of them. Not sure on the status of the other two. I'm what I've seen, I like Dongou. There's another black player at the academy, born in Barcelona. His name slips my mind but I believe his is a winger. I read that he is highly rated and moving through the ranks quickly

people are forgetting about christian eriksen i think he would be nice at Dortmund, or they could attempt to get kroos though older than eriksen, i think he would probably cost less and do the same job

I've been steady saying that they need to get Eriksen, I really hope they do :lol: . But yea, I'm surprised it's not being talked about more. I think Ajax is asking around 15mil for him. I think one of the major criticisms against him, is that he lacks goals. He'll do better there than at Liverpool.

What are the chances of Sahin staying at BVB?

laugh.gif
 at all this Gus and Ray talk... unfortunately, I have no idea who they are... 
embarassed.gif
  But thank goodness?

I guess I'll have to look into those articles and videos posted, but for me, I guess it'd be weird hearing an American accent commentate footy, just as weird as it would be to hear a Brit call a baseball game.  Of course this is all just based on the accent.  Whether the comm knows anything about the sport it's a different matter.  

I've seen a vid-stream of Sky UK's NFL-playoff coverage where they had a Brit talk about strategies and formations during the pre-show, but when the game started, they switched to the American commentators, which I guess makes the most sense.

I saw an interview with Sahin and he said that he wasted the past 18 months at Real and Liverpool and now that hes back at Dortmund hes 100% happy and wants to stay

:lol:  at all this Gus and Ray talk... unfortunately, I have no idea who they are... 
embarassed.gif

But thank goodness?

I guess I'll have to look into those articles and videos posted, but for me, I guess it'd be weird hearing an American accent commentate footy, just as weird as it would be to hear a Brit call a baseball game.  Of course this is all just based on the accent.  Whether the comm knows anything about the sport it's a different matter.  

I've seen a vid-stream of Sky UK's NFL-playoff coverage where they had a Brit talk about strategies and formations during the pre-show, but when the game started, they switched to the American commentators, which I guess makes the most sense.

I don't mind an Americans doing it. But majority of them aren't good. Or they're too US/MLS partial...Alexis Lalas and Talyor Twellman. They both sound stupid and dickheaded at times
Apparently American football is growing in the UK. Only a matter of time before some rich UK guy buys a team :lol: I remember having to stream a game and it was Sky and the Brit was talking. It caught me off guard and I was amused by it. Also when streaming some soccer games I noticed that, the pre-shows, half and post would be in Arabic and during the game they switch to UK commentators

I saw an interview with Sahin and he said that he wasted the past 18 months at Real and Liverpool and now that hes back at Dortmund hes 100% happy and wants to stay

Sahin doesn't like Rodgers at all. But when moving to big club like Real, you have to understand that chances are that you won't be in the starting XI right away. You're sacrificing a lot of PT, among other things. Cesc isn't getting the close to the amount of playing time he was getting at Arsenal. I don't know the in's and out's of his situation but I feel for him. He's played more games during his BVB loan spell than at Real and Liverpool combined from what I've read. I'm sure he would have been happy at Arsenal :D

Toni Kroos? He and Gotze are the future of Bayern and Germany. Bayern would never sell him, but if they did he would be worth three Christian Eriksens.

Arsenal has been trying to do this. We're set to sign our 4th Barca academy player(Miquel, Bellerin, Toral and Pleguezuelo is to come) and maybe another one. We were in talks with 3 of them. Not sure on the status of the other two. I'm what I've seen, I like Dongou. There's another black player at the academy, born in Barcelona. His name slips my mind but I believe his is a winger. I read that he is highly rated and moving through the ranks quickly

I believe you're referring to Adama Traore. As Deulofeu is set to join the senior side, Traore will be his replacement on the B team. Talented kid, and yeah he plays on the right wing. I suppose there's a chance Deulofeu could be sent out on loan, but it's highly unlikely. He'll get time next season, and he's the latest pearl of the academy. And Wenger can raid the juvenile squads all he wants, just as long as he knows Barca will come calling should they become top players. :lol: The top 10 or so talents won't be persuaded to leave, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom