The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

As much as I don't want Neymar on Barca, comparing the Brasilian league to the D-League isn't accurate at all. Of course it's not as strong as La Liga, Bundesliga, and the Premier League, but people make it sound like Neymar was playing in the MLS or something. Let's also not forget that Corinthians (a Brasilian team) won the club world cup. The Brasileirao has made huge strides in the past few years with the growth of the economy over there, and they've been able to retain a large number of solid players who would've gone to Europe in the past.

I don't think he's the 2nd coming of Ronaldinho or some bull @#$%, but to say he's an average player? Nah. 21 year old average players don't even start for mid tier European clubs
A lot of Americans and Europeans have such a limited scope, if it's not EPL or CL and being forced down their throats they discard it completely. 

LOL at the Brasileiro being comparable to the D League straight disrespect. 

Brasileiro is one of the most skill full AND athletic leagues in the world. For those not famliliar with it it's worth checking out this summer while the adored Euro leagues are on break, you can watch a lot of the games on ESPN3.

Last edited:
Let's also not forget that Corinthians (a Brasilian team) won the club world cup.

Nobody gives a damb about that tournament. Any English/Spanish/German/Italian club would rather win the domestic cup, the smallest title of the three main ones, over that tournament. They beat Chelsea while they had their worst period of the season.

But funny you should mention that exact tournament while trying to justify the hype around Neymar. Didn't he and his team get slaughtered by Barcelona last year by 5-0?

I'm not saying Neymar will fail, but he has failed to deliver in any even remotely big game so far. He has some nice highlights from Brazilian league games. It's a nice league and all, and it has plenty of raw talent. But the four big leagues in Europe are light years ahead when it comes to scooping up the best talent from around the globe, including Brazil. And in terms of talent, Brazil is in the worst position it has been since the late 80s.

Let's also not forget that Corinthians (a Brasilian team) won the club world cup.

Nobody gives a damb about that tournament. Any English/Spanish/German/Italian club would rather win the domestic cup, the smallest title of the three main ones, over that tournament. They beat Chelsea while they had their worst period of the season.

But funny you should mention that exact tournament while trying to justify the hype around Neymar. Didn't he and his team get slaughtered by Barcelona last year by 5-0?

I'm not saying Neymar will fail, but he has failed to deliver in any even remotely big game so far. He has some nice highlights from Brazilian league games. It's a nice league and all, and it has plenty of raw talent. But the four big leagues in Europe are light years ahead when it comes to scooping up the best talent from around the globe, including Brazil. And in terms of talent, Brazil is in the worst position it has been since the late 80s.

Same Barcelona?

Oh, okay.

Neymar is a very good player, but he's team isn't amazing. They were very inconsistent.

It's a shame for Neymar because even when he performs well in Europe, everyone will say, "well if it wasn't for Messi, Neymar wouldn't be scoring as often".

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I believe we should just wait and see how he actually performs. But calling him average, or weak is disrespectful to the kid. We're talking about Barcelona here, the same club that has discovered legends like Messi. I think they know a thing or two about scouting. I think they can see potential in players. I doubt they would invest that much money in someone they thought was average or weak.

He was player of the tournament when Santos won the Copa Libertadores. Perhaps that doesn't mean anything to you, but it's the most prestigious football tournament strictly in this hemisphere, and the last time Santos won, Pele was in his pomp. Plenty of South Americans have come over to Europe and dominated, yet very, very few can say they've accomplished as much as Neymar has before coming over. When people say he'll flop, I don't see them actually basing that prediction on anything related to his ability. There's a reason every big club in the world was after him, and it's because he's prodigiously talented. He's only 21 and will need time to settle and develop some, but there's little reason to believe he won't be successful.

I agree that Brazil aren't in the best position going in to this World Cup, but it's not like they're barren. They'll have Thiago Silva, Luiz/Dante, Alves, and Marcelo in defense -which is as talented a backline as any. Then there's Oscar, Lucas, Neymar, Luis Gustavo, Ramires, Hulk, Damiao, etc. to fill out the rest of the side. Believe it or not, the bookies have Brazil as the favorites followed by Argentina, Spain, and Germany.

-West Brom are considering a move for 27-year-old Anderlecht striker Dieumerci Mbokani.

-Sunderland are close to agreeing a four-year contract with Basel midfielder Cabral, 24, who is out of contract next month.

-Queens Park Rangers playmaker Adel Taarabt, 24, could be on his way out of Loftus Road - with United Arab Emirates side Al Ain plotting a move

-Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, 21, says he wants to remain on loan at Atletico Madrid for "one more year" before competing for the number one jersey with Petr Cech, 31, at Stamford Bridge.

-Tottenham have opened talks over a £10m move for Barcelona striker David Villa, 31, and have renewed their interest in 23-year-old Leandro Damiao, a long-term target.

-Fulham are lining up a loan deal for Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano, 28.

Gained a whole new respect for Gus after reading those articles above (although I have sky tv and have never heard him call a game). Cant hate on the man for stepping up to the job, atleast he is taking it very seriously and for that i applaud his effort. With the work ethic he has I'm sure he will get it down.. The real issue with footie in the states is everyone is afraid of being a newb.. no one started out knowing everything yet that couldnt be further from the expectation.. fans dont allow for a learning curve because your too busy trying to prove your a much bigger fan than the next man. I know this attitude alone has kept a couple of my friends from really enjoying the sport.

Michu?

Lukaku?

I think it will be very hard for Michu to repeat what he has done this past season, Defenders will be a lot tighter on him and make sure he doesn't get the chances he had this time

IMO I think Benteke will have a difficult season coming up aswell

IF one of these players have a repeat of this last season or better it then you can guarantee they will be snapped up by a 'bigger' club

Michu had a breakout season last year with rayo. Lukaku had a much better season this year tho. Pogba deserves to be on the list, idk if I would put varane as #1 he was ok only 19 but I didn't think he was the best out of those 5

Edit: I'd put Michael Bradley up there he was Roma's midfield rock this year

Last edited:
Michu?

Lukaku?

I think it will be very hard for Michu to repeat what he has done this past season, Defenders will be a lot tighter on him and make sure he doesn't get the chances he had this time

IMO I think Benteke will have a difficult season coming up aswell

IF one of these players have a repeat of this last season or better it then you can guarantee they will be snapped up by a 'bigger' club

If I'm correct, he was La Liga's highest scoring midfielder in 2011-2012 season, at a "weaker" Rayo Vallecano....

He then came into the Prem and straight up beasted at Swansea. He scored relentlessly in two different leagues back to back and didn't have much support.

I guess his breakout was 2011-12

Last edited:
List is on point.. I think Varane was the stand out
:smh: man do I wish we would have kept a hold of Pogba

Looks like Neymar has been given the number 11. I wonder if this is another sign for Thiago's departure. I really hope not.

Last edited:
Didn't benteke score like 20+ goals this season? I think he should be #1. And Bradley took over holding mid over de Rossi the Italian captain and he got no shout out? Not saying varane is bad just a tad overrated if he's considered the best. Also think erikson had another good year but I doubt espn knows any club in la liga outside barca and rm and any of the lower leagues

The breakout player for me this year was Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho. Watching him play when he got to the Reds was fun. I'm looking forward to see his play mature & to watch him play more. I'm actually going to get his shirt for my son now that Warrior has done away with those stupid collars on the new shirt.

Looks like the Blaugrana are going to open talks to extend CB Marc Bartra to in an effort to keep him on the Barca side. With the injury to Puyol (& possible diminishing of his skills) along with the mysterious declines of Pique & Mascherano, I never understood why he didn't get more playing time.

In fact, I totally confused as to why a lot of the youngsters like Bartra, Tello, & Alcantara didn't get more playing time. I'll chalk it up to Tito being out for long periods of time & Jordi Roura playing it safe by playing vets.

I hope with the upcoming season, they figure out whose going to play because as it stands right now, Pique doesn't deserve playing time. His ability & drive to play well has greatly diminished & Mascherano has been really inconsistent. I mean sometimes he looks absolutely lost on the pitch like he had no clue what to do.

Looks like Neymar has been given the number 11. I wonder if this is another sign for Thiago's departure. I really hope not.

If I'm not mistaken, Thiago was wearing #4 before Cesc came back & gave the number back to him. So I wouldn't be surprised with him giving up #11 for Neymar. I'm anxious to see how the transfer market shakes up for the Blaugrana.

If I'm correct, he was La Liga's highest scoring midfielder in 2011-2012 season, at a "weaker" Rayo Vallecano....

He then came into the Prem and straight up beasted at Swansea. He scored relentlessly in two different leagues back to back and didn't have much support.

I guess his breakout was 2011-12

True, and I do think h is a very good player but he was still pretty much an Unknown quantity in the EPL when he first signed for Swansea, You seen in the second half of the season when defenders started marking him harder and tighter he did not score so many

I think Thiago is outta there. As a footballer, watching your days on the bench is like a very slow suicide. I think he'll look for more minutes.

For most teams someone with Thiago's talent & ability, yes they would be gone in a heart beat but all corniness aside, Barcelona is a different club. I have a feeling there is a strong chance of him staying. If he leaves, it'll be on loan. This might be wishful thinking though I guess. :rolleyes :D

For most teams someone with Thiago's talent & ability, yes they would be gone in a heart beat but all corniness aside, Barcelona is a different club. I have a feeling there is a strong chance of him staying. If he leaves, it'll be on loan. This might be wishful thinking though I guess. :rolleyes :D

I think it was David Villa who said, the problem at Barce is that the team gels so well, and it also progresses and evolves so fast, that he felt when he got injured, coming back was difficult, because it's moved on without him. So a player like Thiago, without getting consistent regular full minutes, then going on loan, when he comes back may not be easy to adjust.

Surprises Klopp hasn't taken an interest in him.

in other news...

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff 7h
Rene Meulensteen has left his position as first team coach of Manchester United. [voetbal international]

Seems like Moyes really wants to do things his way....

Sad to see Meulensteen go. A lot of the Man U players have had great things to say about him over the years. If I'm not mistaken, he's had a huge hand in the youth system too in addition to running most of the practices. I wonder if he thought he should've been in line for the job. I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard his name talked about for some of these jobs in the Prem... I've always liked hearing what he has to say.

Last edited:
Sad to see Meulensteen go. A lot of the Man U players have had great things to say about him over the years. If I'm not mistaken, he's had a huge hand in the youth system too in addition to running most of the practices. I wonder if he thought he should've been in line for the job. I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard his name talked about for some of these jobs in the Prem... I've always liked hearing what he has to say.

Maybe he got a couple offers safs protege can't be unemployed long

Back
Top Bottom