The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness.

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

For those comparing science to religion, stop it.
laugh.gif

Here is the fundamental difference between science as religion. Based on the scientific method, scientists come up with hypotheses and theories based on observation and systematically tests those theories in order to find proof. Religion blindly comes up with theories and don't feel they hold the burden of providing proof. Blind faith is ok, just stop trying to front like isn't more than that.

Praying to Jesus Christ, did NOT make my broken Blackberry start working again.
They're both man-made. you believe one over the other because they gave you an explanation you like?
laugh.gif

I think science is bogus fwiw. Just a collective group of individuals trying to be the first to name or do something. egomaniacs.

Can't prove a damn thing in this reality, science or not. Why try?

If you ever get a horrible illness with a known cure (i.e. rabies).....just let it ride out. The explanation science has given to why you'll die a slow painful death from rabies is bogus anyways.

Science's explanation for rabies...viral infection and we have a proven cure.

Religion's/superstition's explanation for rabies....the devil done it, it's God's will. I can pray for you, it may or may not work.

So by your characterization of both sides, I would only choose science in this situation because it's the "explanation I (arbitrarily) like". It as nothing to do with the fact that it works.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

For those comparing science to religion, stop it.
laugh.gif

Here is the fundamental difference between science as religion. Based on the scientific method, scientists come up with hypotheses and theories based on observation and systematically tests those theories in order to find proof. Religion blindly comes up with theories and don't feel they hold the burden of providing proof. Blind faith is ok, just stop trying to front like isn't more than that.

Praying to Jesus Christ, did NOT make my broken Blackberry start working again.
They're both man-made. you believe one over the other because they gave you an explanation you like?
laugh.gif

I think science is bogus fwiw. Just a collective group of individuals trying to be the first to name or do something. egomaniacs.

Can't prove a damn thing in this reality, science or not. Why try?

If you ever get a horrible illness with a known cure (i.e. rabies).....just let it ride out. The explanation science has given to why you'll die a slow painful death from rabies is bogus anyways.

Science's explanation for rabies...viral infection and we have a proven cure.

Religion's/superstition's explanation for rabies....the devil done it, it's God's will. I can pray for you, it may or may not work.

So by your characterization of both sides, I would only choose science in this situation because it's the "explanation I (arbitrarily) like". It as nothing to do with the fact that it works.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by dreamhigh

i ve seen prayers come true and lived miracles .. divine intervention ... ive witnessed it .. #%!$ einstein

Only smart person in the thread .

Stay true to your belief and remember how great God is.

Originally Posted by dreamhigh

i ve seen prayers come true and lived miracles .. divine intervention ... ive witnessed it .. #%!$ einstein

Only smart person in the thread .

Stay true to your belief and remember how great God is.

i am an Atheist..  i have my reasons..
but i cant help to think that alot of you non-god believers do it to feel "holier-than-thou" (
grin.gif
).. constantly coming up with the same "I live a better/enlightened life because of what I DONT believe in..etc etc,, yada yada yada" shtick every time a religion thread pops-up. calm down already.. you guys are just as bad as the religious heads trying force feed us w/ their beliefs on here. 
tired.gif

but i cant help to think that alot of you non-god believers do it to feel "holier-than-thou" (
grin.gif
).. constantly coming up with the same "I live a better/enlightened life because of what I DONT believe in..etc etc,, yada yada yada" shtick every time a religion thread pops-up. calm down already.. you guys are just as bad as the religious heads trying force feed us w/ their beliefs on here. 
tired.gif

grin.gif
tired.gif

grin.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by proper english

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
What's funny is that scientist are using scientific method to study both athiest vs. religion debates such as these. 
laugh.gif
 Ya'll both arms on the same body of ( I don't know). Just one side admits it, while the other side proclaims a truth. Both polar opposites of the same ideology. 

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
What's funny is that scientist are using scientific method to study both athiest vs. religion debates such as these. 
laugh.gif
 Ya'll both arms on the same body of ( I don't know). Just one side admits it, while the other side proclaims a truth. Both polar opposites of the same ideology. 

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Even mine for example...im not supposed to be judgmental yet i am supposed to believe that everyone who does not believe in one god and jesus christ is doomed for heck...so how can anyone win?
Also, can you honestly think it is RIGHT that someone who is born into a world that is not dominated by Christianity has to suffer? So because I am born in a MUslim nation, I have to be sent to hell? You never questioned why a God would do something so unfair and unreasonable? Just think about that.

Like I asked someone before, if I were a teacher and passed pop quizes out to half of the class and I punished the folks that I did not pass the quiz out to, how unfair and unreasonable would that be?

That is a big issue I have with religion. They all think everyone else is wrong and they are right.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Even mine for example...im not supposed to be judgmental yet i am supposed to believe that everyone who does not believe in one god and jesus christ is doomed for heck...so how can anyone win?
Also, can you honestly think it is RIGHT that someone who is born into a world that is not dominated by Christianity has to suffer? So because I am born in a MUslim nation, I have to be sent to hell? You never questioned why a God would do something so unfair and unreasonable? Just think about that.

Like I asked someone before, if I were a teacher and passed pop quizes out to half of the class and I punished the folks that I did not pass the quiz out to, how unfair and unreasonable would that be?

That is a big issue I have with religion. They all think everyone else is wrong and they are right.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Its funny when people claim they don't have faith yet put all their belief into a famous scientist or 'science' itself.
QFT&E

Like how are you criticizing someone having faith in God when you have faith in science? Beyond stupid. Especially when you sit back and think every thing that we do requires some type of faith. After all, faith is simply believing in something. Basically anything we just do (take sitting for example) requires faith. Of course, we as humans take something so simple and make it more complicated than it really is.
So believing in something without a single shred of evidence is the same thing as believing in something that is backed by facts?  I never get that argument.  "We both have faith in something...blah blah moronic blah."  What I believe in actually has tangible evidence backing it.  What you have is some mythological nonsense backed only by your faith.  I always want to ask the faithful, "Well, don't you wish there was a better explanation?"  By believing Magic Man did it, it becomes a shortcut to actual thinking.  When you subscribe to a religion you are automatically content with whatever nonsense they feed you.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Its funny when people claim they don't have faith yet put all their belief into a famous scientist or 'science' itself.
QFT&E

Like how are you criticizing someone having faith in God when you have faith in science? Beyond stupid. Especially when you sit back and think every thing that we do requires some type of faith. After all, faith is simply believing in something. Basically anything we just do (take sitting for example) requires faith. Of course, we as humans take something so simple and make it more complicated than it really is.
So believing in something without a single shred of evidence is the same thing as believing in something that is backed by facts?  I never get that argument.  "We both have faith in something...blah blah moronic blah."  What I believe in actually has tangible evidence backing it.  What you have is some mythological nonsense backed only by your faith.  I always want to ask the faithful, "Well, don't you wish there was a better explanation?"  By believing Magic Man did it, it becomes a shortcut to actual thinking.  When you subscribe to a religion you are automatically content with whatever nonsense they feed you.

grin.gif
tired.gif
QFeveryreligiousT

I'm a believer and agree with this.

grin.gif
tired.gif
QFeveryreligiousT

I'm a believer and agree with this.

I know they are word associations, but one day on NT we can have a discussion about god withouth mentioning "jesus christ" or religion. God and religion do not go hand in hand like some of you claim. I am personally Jewish, but hey that doesn't mean I am not eating pepperoni pizza everytime the pizza man comes through.

Religion as the great bonhoeffer once said serves as a tool of community, for community itself is an entity all its own. The issue with religion is people are involved, and we manage to %%++ everything up.

I know they are word associations, but one day on NT we can have a discussion about god withouth mentioning "jesus christ" or religion. God and religion do not go hand in hand like some of you claim. I am personally Jewish, but hey that doesn't mean I am not eating pepperoni pizza everytime the pizza man comes through.

Religion as the great bonhoeffer once said serves as a tool of community, for community itself is an entity all its own. The issue with religion is people are involved, and we manage to %%++ everything up.

Back
Top Bottom