The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness.

Originally Posted by torgriffith

Originally Posted by proper english

i am an Atheist..  i have my reasons..
but i cant help to think that alot of you non-god believers do it to feel "holier-than-thou" (
grin.gif
).. constantly coming up with the same "I live a better/enlightened life because of what I DONT believe in..etc etc,, yada yada yada" shtick every time a religion thread pops-up. calm down already.. you guys are just as bad as the religious heads trying force feed us w/ their beliefs on here. 
tired.gif

Yep
What's funny is that scientist are using scientific method to study both athiest vs. religion debates such as these. 
laugh.gif
 Ya'll both arms on the same body of ( I don't know). Just one side admits it, while the other side proclaims a truth. Both polar opposites of the same ideology. 

I'm tryna separate this whole science vs. religion "debate". I use science first and foremost for practical reasons and admit that science does NOT have all the answers but they're are perpetually looking. Religious people are in here tryna front like their entire lives aren't affected in one way or another by "science". 

When it comes to the unknown, there are somethings science cannot prove. The difference between myself (strict agnostic) and a religious person is I don't make absolute statements about the unknown. I don't claim to know where I go when I die. I don't make attempts to describe a holy, higher-being I have never witnessed.

I don't know what happens when we die. I don't know/can't know if there is a God. I treat the scriptures in organized religion like I treat all other things fiction, but I still contemplate existence.

Even religious people use science to call ducktales on the unbelievable....just as long their own religion is left alone. If I told a religious person that I'm supersaiyan and can shoot bolts of energy out of my hands, they are gonna want proof.

but i cant help to think that alot of you non-god believers do it to feel "holier-than-thou" (
grin.gif
).. constantly coming up with the same "I live a better/enlightened life because of what I DONT believe in..etc etc,, yada yada yada" shtick every time a religion thread pops-up. calm down already.. you guys are just as bad as the religious heads trying force feed us w/ their beliefs on here. 
tired.gif

Yep
What's funny is that scientist are using scientific method to study both athiest vs. religion debates such as these. 
laugh.gif
 Ya'll both arms on the same body of ( I don't know). Just one side admits it, while the other side proclaims a truth. Both polar opposites of the same ideology. 

I'm tryna separate this whole science vs. religion "debate". I use science first and foremost for practical reasons and admit that science does NOT have all the answers but they're are perpetually looking. Religious people are in here tryna front like their entire lives aren't affected in one way or another by "science". 

When it comes to the unknown, there are somethings science cannot prove. The difference between myself (strict agnostic) and a religious person is I don't make absolute statements about the unknown. I don't claim to know where I go when I die. I don't make attempts to describe a holy, higher-being I have never witnessed.

I don't know what happens when we die. I don't know/can't know if there is a God. I treat the scriptures in organized religion like I treat all other things fiction, but I still contemplate existence.

Even religious people use science to call ducktales on the unbelievable....just as long their own religion is left alone. If I told a religious person that I'm supersaiyan and can shoot bolts of energy out of my hands, they are gonna want proof.

Religion kills more people than it saves. Christianity is one of the newest religions just widely spread. I believe in giving back wether it's to mother earth or to my fellow man. I do not need to carry a burden and believe someone is watching me. I know what's right and what's wrong. So I stay positive as possible the whole universe is created of energy law of attraction. Does anyone realize that the Indians that ruled America did not even have a clue about Jesus etc. The sad thing is while Colombus forced Christianity on the Indians he also created a genocide millions died. To celebrate the guy is quite hilarious. Religion is created to divide and conquer.

Religion kills more people than it saves. Christianity is one of the newest religions just widely spread. I believe in giving back wether it's to mother earth or to my fellow man. I do not need to carry a burden and believe someone is watching me. I know what's right and what's wrong. So I stay positive as possible the whole universe is created of energy law of attraction. Does anyone realize that the Indians that ruled America did not even have a clue about Jesus etc. The sad thing is while Colombus forced Christianity on the Indians he also created a genocide millions died. To celebrate the guy is quite hilarious. Religion is created to divide and conquer.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by Master Zik

The irony of the constant barrage of threads like this is that those making them seem just as, if not more, obsessed with religion and God than the so-called religious fanatics... and are convinced that your point of view is the correct one just as much as the staunchest of believers... and attempt to force your beliefs on others just as much as those you mock and insult.
The religious had a couple hundred years head start and then like a 8 century movement. Those that subscribe to the opposite have only recently increased.
And your response is relevant... how?  Your response is not even accurate and really has nothing to do with the hypocrisy of the actions of some non-believers (which I described in my post).
Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

And
it also  happens  the other  way around, too. Many atheists have
suppressed peoples freedom to be religious  outside the US. Priests
were  executed by the government in Mexico.  For a long time   china
didn't allow people to be openly religious. Religious people in  the
USSR  had it much worse  than non-believers in America.
And OP's response is.....?  Or do you only care about such matters when it is the religious who are culpable and not the non-believers?

1. When religion calls for bigotry, are we not supposed to fight it? Posts like this make it more acceptable for closet atheists to come out. 5 years ago on NT, you wouldn't have ever seen this much religion topics on here.

2. Those atheists made atheism a state religion. Atheism doesn't call for the execution of people. Religion does.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

The irony of the constant barrage of threads like this is that those making them seem just as, if not more, obsessed with religion and God than the so-called religious fanatics... and are convinced that your point of view is the correct one just as much as the staunchest of believers... and attempt to force your beliefs on others just as much as those you mock and insult.
The religious had a couple hundred years head start and then like a 8 century movement. Those that subscribe to the opposite have only recently increased.
And your response is relevant... how?  Your response is not even accurate and really has nothing to do with the hypocrisy of the actions of some non-believers (which I described in my post).
Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

And
it also  happens  the other  way around, too. Many atheists have
suppressed peoples freedom to be religious  outside the US. Priests
were  executed by the government in Mexico.  For a long time   china
didn't allow people to be openly religious. Religious people in  the
USSR  had it much worse  than non-believers in America.
And OP's response is.....?  Or do you only care about such matters when it is the religious who are culpable and not the non-believers?

1. When religion calls for bigotry, are we not supposed to fight it? Posts like this make it more acceptable for closet atheists to come out. 5 years ago on NT, you wouldn't have ever seen this much religion topics on here.

2. Those atheists made atheism a state religion. Atheism doesn't call for the execution of people. Religion does.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
laugh.gif

What I find interesting is that both arguments are not complete theories. They are both ever evolving and growing into something else or towards a single point. We all know that science continues to re write itself and branch off into new segmented fields of study, and religious institutions schism and are created just alike. kcmochris: said something very important and that was about instead of religion, we should focus on our mystical connection to something bigger than ourselves. IMO this is essentially all religion should amount to if it is around and that's to bring people into focus on theirselves instead of preaching about an external God and Christ that you have to get to come to you.

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
laugh.gif

What I find interesting is that both arguments are not complete theories. They are both ever evolving and growing into something else or towards a single point. We all know that science continues to re write itself and branch off into new segmented fields of study, and religious institutions schism and are created just alike. kcmochris: said something very important and that was about instead of religion, we should focus on our mystical connection to something bigger than ourselves. IMO this is essentially all religion should amount to if it is around and that's to bring people into focus on theirselves instead of preaching about an external God and Christ that you have to get to come to you.

torgriffith wrote:

proper english wrote:

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
laugh.gif

What I find interesting is that both arguments are not complete theories. They are both ever evolving and growing into something else or towards a single point. We all know that science continues to re write itself and branch off into new segmented fields of study, and religious institutions schism and are created just alike. kcmochris: said something very important and that was about instead of religion, we should focus our mystical connection to something bigger than ourselves. IMO this is essentially all religion should amount to if it is around and that's to bring people into focus on theirselves instead of preaching about an external God and Christ that you have to get to come to you.

No. God and creationism is not a theory. A theory has to have the ability to be tested.

torgriffith wrote:

proper english wrote:

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
laugh.gif

What I find interesting is that both arguments are not complete theories. They are both ever evolving and growing into something else or towards a single point. We all know that science continues to re write itself and branch off into new segmented fields of study, and religious institutions schism and are created just alike. kcmochris: said something very important and that was about instead of religion, we should focus our mystical connection to something bigger than ourselves. IMO this is essentially all religion should amount to if it is around and that's to bring people into focus on theirselves instead of preaching about an external God and Christ that you have to get to come to you.

No. God and creationism is not a theory. A theory has to have the ability to be tested.

That Camus quote is on point. I definitely see the need for religion. I don't think civilization could function without it as there are too many stupid and irrational people out there (not all religious people are). God is that person watching over your back to them. Their actions are judged... think about where many of these people would be if they didn't have this moral compass from religion. They definitely aren't searching for one in other places. That is why we as a whole need religion. Read up on Hobbes. Read Conrad's Heart of Darkness. "The Horror! The Horror!" will be our existence without religion. Read McCarthy's The Road. We are not innately good. Look at human history. We are innately evil. Societal boundaries have created ,on average, a good society with people who stay within the line. Even so, there is still so much destruction in the world, even with this God supposedly watching your back. There is a reason that a "God-fearing person" is even a character trait. What would that person be and do if they didn't fear God? I shudder in many instances. Not everyone is able to rationalize existence without God. Many people need that entity. I don't. However, I am not a believer or a non-believer. I am just in doubt of everything.

That Camus quote is on point. I definitely see the need for religion. I don't think civilization could function without it as there are too many stupid and irrational people out there (not all religious people are). God is that person watching over your back to them. Their actions are judged... think about where many of these people would be if they didn't have this moral compass from religion. They definitely aren't searching for one in other places. That is why we as a whole need religion. Read up on Hobbes. Read Conrad's Heart of Darkness. "The Horror! The Horror!" will be our existence without religion. Read McCarthy's The Road. We are not innately good. Look at human history. We are innately evil. Societal boundaries have created ,on average, a good society with people who stay within the line. Even so, there is still so much destruction in the world, even with this God supposedly watching your back. There is a reason that a "God-fearing person" is even a character trait. What would that person be and do if they didn't fear God? I shudder in many instances. Not everyone is able to rationalize existence without God. Many people need that entity. I don't. However, I am not a believer or a non-believer. I am just in doubt of everything.

Its That Dude... u mad doggie?
dude has been trolling extra hard lately, typical annoying self-righteous atheist you find on the internet.

Its That Dude... u mad doggie?
dude has been trolling extra hard lately, typical annoying self-righteous atheist you find on the internet.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

torgriffith wrote:

proper english wrote:

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
laugh.gif

Can creation not be tested?

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

torgriffith wrote:

proper english wrote:

grin.gif
tired.gif

Yep
laugh.gif

Can creation not be tested?

Originally Posted by jbone2308

grin.gif
tired.gif
QFeveryreligiousT

I'm a believer and agree with this.

THIS

Originally Posted by jbone2308

grin.gif
tired.gif
QFeveryreligiousT

I'm a believer and agree with this.

THIS

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Well everything you've said here is under the assumption that without "God" there would be anarchy and I completely disagree. There is also an assumption that all "God fearing" people are more likely to do good. There is a lot of proof to the contrary (prejudices, wars, genocides based on religion).

These irrational people you speak of are also susceptible to doing the will of "false prophets", who preach evil/destruction and hatred under the guise of holiness and morality. Religion is more of a political than a divine institution.

We ARE innately evil, no amount of religion can change out nature. Religion/ the devil is just an excuse/ scapegoat. Laws of society are based on what is for the greater good. I wouldn't want murder to be legal, because that puts my life at risk. Non-divine consequences to my actions are enough to hamper me from committing crimes.

I too am in doubt of everything....or better yet, inquisitive.

Well everything you've said here is under the assumption that without "God" there would be anarchy and I completely disagree. There is also an assumption that all "God fearing" people are more likely to do good. There is a lot of proof to the contrary (prejudices, wars, genocides based on religion).

These irrational people you speak of are also susceptible to doing the will of "false prophets", who preach evil/destruction and hatred under the guise of holiness and morality. Religion is more of a political than a divine institution.

We ARE innately evil, no amount of religion can change out nature. Religion/ the devil is just an excuse/ scapegoat. Laws of society are based on what is for the greater good. I wouldn't want murder to be legal, because that puts my life at risk. Non-divine consequences to my actions are enough to hamper me from committing crimes.

Ehh. I disagree, but hey philosophers have debated that for hundreds of years, no reason to prolong the argument. We all have personal agendas, and natural selection plays a factor. But I have seen some remarkable things done by man in times of great duress, that would certainly support the belief that humans want to do good. I am sure you have some examples to prove otherwise as well.

I wouldn't say that God-fearing people are less likely to do evil, or more likely to do good. I would argue that the consequence of the belief is futile. What matters is the realization that there is a greater group, or more at steak than just ourselves. Whether you feel religion divides us or unites is not the issue (as many on NT claim to believe) if humans are innately evil, naturally so is religion as itself is a human construct.

God, however, is unexplainable- I only claim to know nothing except that I believe in God. Even though my religion believes in God, that does not mean that God is the same to all of us under that religion. Culture, history, among other factors all distinguish one religion from another. My god is a personal relationship, nothing more nothing less. It may be fairytales to some, but for me god is as real as the words on this screen.

Family is what seperates us from animals, the conscious, it is only with this seperation that humans find meaning.       

Ehh. I disagree, but hey philosophers have debated that for hundreds of years, no reason to prolong the argument. We all have personal agendas, and natural selection plays a factor. But I have seen some remarkable things done by man in times of great duress, that would certainly support the belief that humans want to do good. I am sure you have some examples to prove otherwise as well.

I wouldn't say that God-fearing people are less likely to do evil, or more likely to do good. I would argue that the consequence of the belief is futile. What matters is the realization that there is a greater group, or more at steak than just ourselves. Whether you feel religion divides us or unites is not the issue (as many on NT claim to believe) if humans are innately evil, naturally so is religion as itself is a human construct.

God, however, is unexplainable- I only claim to know nothing except that I believe in God. Even though my religion believes in God, that does not mean that God is the same to all of us under that religion. Culture, history, among other factors all distinguish one religion from another. My god is a personal relationship, nothing more nothing less. It may be fairytales to some, but for me god is as real as the words on this screen.

Family is what seperates us from animals, the conscious, it is only with this seperation that humans find meaning.       

Originally Posted by kix4kix

-Many many many animals form strong family/ friendship bonds, so we aint special in that regard.

-What we define as evil is just our innate propensity of selfish and positively reinforcing behavior at the expense of others. There are many factors that determine whether we choose to engage in "evil" behaviors or not (you mentioned on of them...stress). People show less alltruism and more disregard for the wellbeing of other during times of stress. This is usually the opposite during times of economic growth etc. Some people commit evil for reasons unknown (boredom, psychological issues etc). On a macroscopic level, war is "evil", but such behavior is perpetuated and encouraged in many religious scriptures.

-Cliff notes: Our propensity for evil is based on individual cost-benefit analyses. People who steal know it is morally wrong, but the benefits for doing so outweigh the consequences (divine and mortal).

-I somewhat agree that religion is "natural", technically everything we do as human-beings is "natural"...no matter how little sense it makes.

Our propensity for higher thought is what truly separates us from animals, but we share more in common with them than we think.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

-Many many many animals form strong family/ friendship bonds, so we aint special in that regard.

-What we define as evil is just our innate propensity of selfish and positively reinforcing behavior at the expense of others. There are many factors that determine whether we choose to engage in "evil" behaviors or not (you mentioned on of them...stress). People show less alltruism and more disregard for the wellbeing of other during times of stress. This is usually the opposite during times of economic growth etc. Some people commit evil for reasons unknown (boredom, psychological issues etc). On a macroscopic level, war is "evil", but such behavior is perpetuated and encouraged in many religious scriptures.

-Cliff notes: Our propensity for evil is based on individual cost-benefit analyses. People who steal know it is morally wrong, but the benefits for doing so outweigh the consequences (divine and mortal).

-I somewhat agree that religion is "natural", technically everything we do as human-beings is "natural"...no matter how little sense it makes.

Our propensity for higher thought is what truly separates us from animals, but we share more in common with them than we think.

Back
Top Bottom