THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of KP tho, I don't see why he gets a pass for having such a huge hole in his game. I'm one of those guys who thinks he has top 5 talent but I can't excuse that. You gotta getcho big *** in the post, no reason he shouldn't have even a basic understanding of how to score down low. If he was getting Dwight Powell money I could understand but he's the highest paid player on the team and he's severely limiting his own potential as well as the team's by not developing that part of his game. Instead of saying he's not good at it so we're gonna avoid it they should be saying we're gonna force feed him until he figures it out. It's legit the exact same situation as Simmons not shooting 3s
A big not knowing how to post isn't as detrimental as your PG not even trying to shoot a three but gI et the overall point.

It's exactly the same. You can win as many games as you like in the regular season but you're not doing **** in the playoffs with that big of a liability in your lineup. In the first two games the Mavs looked like they could give the Lakers a run for their money. If he's gonna allow himself to be guarded by Danny Green and Avery Bradley they wouldn't even win a game. It cripples the entire offense against a good defensive team. Same way Philly is never going anywhere until Ben learns to shoot, it cripples their offense
What's crippling their offense is the fact they don't have literally anyone that can create offense in any form off the bounce outside Luka.

Like, their second best shot creator is either Jalen Brunson or Tim Hardaway Jr.

That's a bit of an indictment on KP, but it's also got nothing to do with his inability - or the Mavs offense even wanting him to post up on the block.

It’s difficult to build a 4 out and 1 post player offense. What porzingis needs to do is shoot better and stop being allergic to the paint (which doesn’t involve too many post ups)

Carlisle specifically said they need to get porzingis inside more on different actions

Posting up is not what these new offenses do, especially a team like the mavs who depend on the floor being spread

So yes, porzingis deserves criticism and should not just be a spot up shooter I agree with that

I didn't say they should run a post centric offense thru him tho. That would be just as much of a waste of his ability to spread the floor. But he should be a bucket down low anytime a mismatch pops up, that should be EASY money. He should be an elite post player. Literally only needs 2-3 consistent moves to score on anybody at his height. Again, they will never win anything significant if he doesn't greatly improve down there

Indeed. Now my question is, do you think Gentry is holding back the team ?
Yes and No. I feel like he’s coaching to not lose his job, more than actually allowing the players to develop. Losing Zion probably shifted his plan for the team. On the flip side, of Zion was healthy, would the ball still be in BI’s hands?

What's crippling their offense is the fact they don't have literally anyone that can create offense in any form off the bounce outside Luka.
Then wouldnt it help if u could iso your 2nd best player in the mid post or low block and he could get a bucket or FT?

That's basically how we use AD when Bron is out.

KP is basically davis bertans out there.

Brunson, delon and JJ are really good backup guards so letting them run the bench offense is a great option. But when things get tighter in the playoffs and teams take away Luka like we did last night, KP has to be able to get his own shot. It's not the most efficient offense but it's definitely neccessary at times.

I didn't say they should run a post centric offense thru him tho. That would be just as much of a waste of his ability to spread the floor. But he should be a bucket down low anytime a mismatch pops up, that should be EASY money. He should be an elite post player. Literally only needs 2-3 consistent moves to score on anybody at his height. Again, they will never win anything significant if he doesn't greatly improve down there

He should be elite because he’s tall?
He’s had one good season posting and that was the year he played 48 games. He doesn’t have the strength to do it consistently. But no, guards shouldn’t be able to guard him

But no means does his game scream elite level post player.

It's exactly the same. You can win as many games as you like in the regular season but you're not doing **** in the playoffs with that big of a liability in your lineup. In the first two games the Mavs looked like they could give the Lakers a run for their money. If he's gonna allow himself to be guarded by Danny Green and Avery Bradley they wouldn't even win a game. It cripples the entire offense against a good defensive team. Same way Philly is never going anywhere until Ben learns to shoot, it cripples their offense
The only thing we can ever agree on

HOWEVER

him being aggressive can mask that but i digress

On the subject of KP tho, I don't see why he gets a pass for having such a huge hole in his game. I'm one of those guys who thinks he has top 5 talent but I can't excuse that. You gotta getcho big *** in the post, no reason he shouldn't have even a basic understanding of how to score down low. If he was getting Dwight Powell money I could understand but he's the highest paid player on the team and he's severely limiting his own potential as well as the team's by not developing that part of his game. Instead of saying he's not good at it so we're gonna avoid it they should be saying we're gonna force feed him until he figures it out. It's legit the exact same situation as Simmons not shooting 3s

Same as Jaren Jackson. 6’11” averaging 4.7 rebounds[/QUOTE]

Like, their second best shot creator is either Jalen Brunson or Tim Hardaway Jr.

That's a bit of an indictment on KP, but it's also got nothing to do with his inability - or the Mavs offense even wanting him to post up on the block.
Do you think they could get one if KP was making 3rd option money?

Do you think they could get one if KP was making 3rd option money?
I think there's a good chance they'll get one in 2021 regardless. They'll have max space and they've never been this well equipped on the roster to be attractive for free agents.

KP was never going to make 3rd option money anywhere, whether Dallas or elsewhere, so it doesn't matter. :lol:

Like you said, he's a guy that's got insane talent - they gambled on it and it cost them damn near nothing. 32 games off an 18+ month hiatus isn't the time to start second guessing it.

The team itself is way ahead of schedule as it is - and KP ain't even done **** offensively.

He should be elite because he’s tall?
He’s had one good season posting and that was the year he played 48 games. He doesn’t have the strength to do it consistently. But no, guards shouldn’t be able to guard him

But no means does his game scream elite level post player.
It's a chicken and egg scenario. He doesn't post because he's not good at it. If he was, what reason would there be not to post him up? And yes when you have that significant of a height advantage you should be elite at scoring easy buckets 5 feet from the rim over guys who can't come close to bothering your shot. When you hoop you let 5'2 dudes lock you in the post?

It really isn't but go off :lol:

He is 7'3 and was guarded effectively by a 6'6 Danny Green, and had little to no impact on the boards either.

does it mess up the offense the way Simmons does no, does it significantly put a cap on the players ceiling absolutely. Not being able to take advantage of smaller defenders and having your bigman being able to be guarded by a guard is detrimental to teams.

why would he post up if he's not effective at it? Ben Simmons is a horrendous shooter and he gets slandered in here daily for not at least attempting & working on it.

A big part of the appeal of having a big who can shoot is that it draws out the defenses rim protectors, if i could just throw my guard on him it takes away most of the advantages.

Last edited:
It's a chicken and egg scenario. He doesn't post because he's not good at it. If he was, what reason would there be not to post him up? And yes when you have that significant of a height advantage you should be elite at scoring easy buckets 5 feet from the rim over guys who can't come close to bothering your shot. When you hoop you let 5'2 dudes lock you in the post?

his lack of lower body strength negates his height advantage. he’s not getting position 5 feet from the basket ever.

and let’s not let his whiteness fool you into thinking he’s some lights out shooter. He’s been a sub 45% field goal shooter forever

his lack of lower body strength negates his height advantage. he’s not getting position 5 feet from the basket ever.

and let’s not let his whiteness fool you into thinking he’s some lights out shooter. He’s been a sub 45% field goal shooter forever

'He's not strong enough' is the lamest excuse possible. It's the NBA, get in the weight room. Nobody else would get a pass like that

I think rick knows porzingis deficiencies and instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole, he’s going all in on the hybrid flow x 5 out offense

The open looks that porzingis gets consistently are abundant. His jump shooting has been very poor

Again I agree he should be more than a spot up shooter. Posting up just isn’t his thing, it’s not that he gets a pass for that at all. He needs to be able to score more inside for sure and not shy away from the rim because his 3 point shot probably won’t get to dirks level

However if he starts getting his jump shooting going I don’t limit their ceiling at all

Post game or no post game as a big you can’t let a small defend you. Inside scoring, shooting over smalls or just getting hella offensive rebounds you have to make them pay.

This basically is what everyone is saying in a nutshell, hell we see guards & forwards do it to an extent.

Brandom ingram weighs as much as two thumbs & finds a way to use his height advantage over smaller players to consistently get easy looks. Kat damn sure ain't in the post looking for contact all game, but i'll be damned if he doesn't destroy you if you throw a guard on him for a majority of the time.

I also think the Mavs brass are probably going out of their way right now to avoid saying anything negative about what KP does or doesn't need to work on publicly.

There's no reason to air all that out.

I'd guess they're not standing around in practice just telling him to shoot jumpers and slash more.

I also think the Mavs brass are probably going out of their way right now to avoid saying anything negative about what KP does or doesn't need to work on publicly.

There's no reason to air all that out.

I'd guess they're not standing around in practice just telling him to shoot jumpers and slash more.
Definitely got that vibe from Carlisle especially with the deflection to the triangle which nobody said

I think rick knows porzingis deficiencies and instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole, he’s going all in on the hybrid flow x 5 out offense

The open looks that porzingis gets consistently are abundant. His jump shooting has been very poor

Again I agree he should be more than a spot up shooter. Posting up just isn’t his thing, it’s not that he gets a pass for that at all. He needs to be able to score more inside for sure and not shy away from the rim because his 3 point shot probably won’t get to dirks level

However if he starts getting his jump shooting going I don’t limit their ceiling at all
I'm saying, he's 7'3. Posting up SHOULD be his thing at least somewhat. Imagine a player as fast as Westbrook saying transition offense aint my thing. It's a waste. KP is tall for nothing at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom