THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tony Parker and billups won as score first PGs. Bibby and stoudamire played on tough teams.

give me the guy that can put pressure on the defense.
Don't necessarily disagree. Just saying previous basketball culture held on tight to positions and what each of them needed to do. It's difficult to let go of that until the youth grow up with the new

Don't necessarily disagree. Just saying previous basketball culture held on tight to positions and what each of them needed to do. It's difficult to let go of that until the youth grow up with the new

I agree. And really I don’t consider Magic a pass first PG. he was a great passer and it made sense for him to defer to KAJ but when he came down to it he could go get you a bucket and will his team to wins. Kidd and Stockton? Nah

I agree. And really I don’t consider Magic a pass first PG. he was a great passer and it made sense for him to defer to KAJ but when he came down to it he could go get you a bucket and will his team to wins. Kidd and Stockton? Nah
Agreed with your second statement. Tbh I think Nash and Magic were pass first it's just that they could do both and more importantly score in the half court and 1 v 1 situations

Not a huge fan of Player A v. Player B debates, but arguing Nash versus Kidd seems more worthwhile than “would you sign a LeBron-Hannibal Lecter hybrid to your team?”

As for the question at hand, I’ll just say I enjoyed watching Nash play more.

bde53f60fc6e0447ed092114a4864012.jpg

It's close between Jason Kidd and Steve Nash. The thing that swings it in Kidd's favor is that he was an elite defender for most of his career. For as good as Steve Nash was offensively, he was a net negative on defense because even the worst point guards could consistently the score on him and drive past him (I remember watching Derek Fisher put the ball in the floor and drive right past Steve Nash on many occasions).

Contrast that with Kidd, who was elite on both ends of the court (9 time all-NBA defender).

Side note: it's always boggled my mind how players like Steve Nash or so quick on offense but yet so slow on defense. Is this just an effort thing? Did Steve Nash literally not care about playing defense? Was he saving his energy to fun the offense? Did he just have bad fundamentals and never learned?

Solutions for remainder of NBA season:

30-Day comeback (this is obviously the most optimistic timeline):

1. Current records are official, just go straight into the playoffs and stick to league calendar with all best of seven series throughout.

2. Play out the full 82, end in mid-May, first and second rounds are best of five, one two-day break for each series. That puts you at essentially where the Finals would have started. Finals end first week of July. Bumps the league calendar back by a few weeks. Not too crazy.

45-day comeback: Current records are official, first round best of five.

60-day comeback: Current records are official, best of five in first two rounds.

I just don't see a scenario where they do best of seven the entire playoffs unless they come back in mid-April and declare the regular season over.

Agreed with your second statement. Tbh I think Nash and Magic were pass first it's just that they could do both and more importantly score in the half court and 1 v 1 situations
Guys like Bron and Luka are the same way tbh. Feel like they would rather make the great pass, but they can score if/when needed.

Solutions for remainder of NBA season:

30-Day comeback (this is obviously the most optimistic timeline):

1. Current records are official, just go straight into the playoffs and stick to league calendar with all best of seven series throughout.

2. Play out the full 82, end in mid-May, first and second rounds are best of five, one two-day break for each series. That puts you at essentially where the Finals would have started. Finals end first week of July. Bumps the league calendar back by a few weeks. Not too crazy.

45-day comeback: Current records are official, first round best of five.

60-day comeback: Current records are official, best of five in first two rounds.

I just don't see a scenario where they do best of seven the entire playoffs unless they come back in mid-April and declare the regular season over.

I like the idea of going back to a best-of-five series for the first round. Honestly, I never really liked going to best-of-seven in the first round in the first place. Most first-round matchups are beatdowns and playing to best-of-seven just extends a series another couple of days.

I like the idea of going back to a best-of-five series for the first round. Honestly, I never really liked going to best-of-seven in the first round in the first place. Most first-round matchups are beatdowns and playing to best-of-seven just extends a series another couple of days.

Literally, nobody has ever liked the first round best of 7. It's a money grab that doesn't really pay off. The best teams dominate (sweeps or 4-1 wins), and you're left with crap 7-game series between teams nobody cares about that nobody watches. Make it best of 5, which allows for upsets. That being said, I've always liked Bill Barnwell's idea for the first round: if a team goes up 3-0, the series is over.

People’s infatuation with pass first PGs is baffling
And Centers who protect the rims. Whaaat is the deal? And these Shooting Guards who... shoot? Get that follishness on somewhere, amirite? I need SGs who protect the rim, Centers who run the offense, and forwards who... I don't know, go backwards? Sell popcorn?

I see PGs who pass and I'm all like...

giphy.gif

Hot Take.

I don't consider Magic a Point Guard.

I view him the same way I view Luka/Ben Simmons/LeBron.

A overgrown, dominant ball-handler with exquisite IQs.

I am of the, "You are what you guard" mentality when it comes to positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom