THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a pretty cool video of Rodman explaining the triangle offence. Now can someone explain to me why it's not working today? Shouldn't it be more effective since everyone on the team is now expected to know how to shoot a basketball?

Uhhhh all I see is Dead eye 3 point bomber Steve Kerr set multiple screens to free up Bill wennington...for a mid-range jumpshot?

Russ on basketball>Bill. And he actually contributed to the culture instead of just having ****** biased hot takes. Simmons knows a lot of stuff historically but none of it matters because he can't articulate anything without coming off as a prick or having a bad opinion.

EWo5OxUUcAAZu8R

^^^ I loved the Andre the Giant documentary Bill Simmons produced for HBO. That’s about it.

What would be the point in imagining that?
Idk I was just watching ep3 of Last Dance and thinking man if one of these soft flopping dudes like James Harden had to play this Pistons team when the game was officiated like this he'd probably just walk off the court and go find a new career

They weren't calling fouls on the nonsense touches that put him at the line in today's game.
Jordan averaged 13 FTA per game against them in 89, 10 in 90, and 12 in 91. The Pistons were fouling him A LOT. So sure, while some little touch fouls wouldn't get called, Harden would still be going to the line a ton. He's one of the best ever when it comes to drawing fouls/contact. The idea of trying to discredit him is dumb.

Idk I was just watching ep3 of Last Dance and thinking man if one of these soft flopping dudes like James Harden had to play this Pistons team when the game was officiated like this he'd probably just walk off the court and go find a new career
So are you taking James Harden that was born in 1989 and transposing him to the 1990s

Or

Are you thinking of a 1965 James Harden that would have been born and bred to compete in the 1990s?

It's hard to look at Isiah's number and conclude he's the like the second or third greatest PG of all time like a lot of old timers seem to believe.

but given how difficult it was for small player to succeed...

I can imagine how incredible he must have seemed at the time.

Im willing to believe he's probably underrated by the advanced metrics, but still overrated by old timers.

The best offensive player on a team primarily built around defense always gets overrated.

Jordan averaged 13 FTA per game against them in 89, 10 in 90, and 12 in 91. The Pistons were fouling him A LOT. So sure, while some little touch fouls wouldn't get called, Harden would still be going to the line a ton. He's one of the best ever when it comes to drawing fouls/contact. The idea of trying to discredit him is dumb.

I don't have an opinion on the matter but I believe his point is that while Harden is good at drawing contact, it is generally "soft" contact. He believes that Harden would be hesitant to drive or initiate contact when he knew it would be reciprocated in in the manner which the Bad Boys Pistons employed on Jordan. He also might be factoring in Harden's penchant for Stepback 3s which he would rely on even more if he were genuinely concerned with the physicality of the Bad Boy Pistons.

I do not agree with comparing across eras due to the difference in rules, standards and evolution. This makes me think that for certain superlatives the disclaimer "of his/her era" should added to acknowledge the changes over time.

It's hard to look at Isiah's number and conclude he's the like the second or third greatest PG of all time like a lot of old timers seem to believe.
but given how difficult it was for small player to succeed...
I can imagine how incredible he must have seemed at the time.
Im willing to believe he's probably underrated by the advanced metrics, but still overrated by old timers.
The best offensive player on a team primarily built around defense always gets overrated.
If you honestly want Zeke's POV on it

The Prologue: Bill Simmons remembers the day when he learned “The Secret” of basketball from Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas, then built his New York Times no. 1 bestselling book around the premise in 2009. Only one problem: 10 years later, we’re in the middle of the player empowerment era and “The Secret” might not matter anymore.

The Secret Is Now Rented (Prologue) | Book of Basketball 2.0 from Book of Basketball 2.0 | Podbay https://podbay.fm/podcast/1483525141/e/1572940800

I am sure you enjoyed MANY 30 for 30s, which he had his hand in the original concept and certain episodes.

Actually, no.

I’ve only ever watched 1 or 2 30s for 30s in my life. I haven’t been intentionally avoiding them; I just don’t watch ESPN for anything other than live sports. I probably should watch some of them, as I probably would like a lot of them.

I don't have an opinion on the matter but I believe his point is that while Harden is good at drawing contact, it is generally "soft" contact. He believes that Harden would be hesitant to drive or initiate contact when he knew it would be reciprocated in in the manner which the Bad Boys Pistons employed on Jordan. He also might be factoring in Harden's penchant for Stepback 3s which he would rely on even more if he were genuinely concerned with the physicality of the Bad Boy Pistons.

I do not agree with comparing across eras due to the difference in rules, standards and evolution. This makes me think that for certain superlatives the disclaimer "of his/her era" should added to acknowledge the changes over time.
What has James Harden ever done to suggest he would duck TRUE physical contact?

Simply because he benefits from the refs being advised to make "soft" calls now?

I am failing to see the basis of that assumption.

Harden played with 2 scratched corneas. Eye think he would have been ok.

and where were the hard fouls the next year after the Jordan rules? Prison ball worked one year against mike

Actually, no.

I’ve only ever watched 1 or 2 30s for 30s in my life. I haven’t been intentionally avoiding them; I just don’t watch ESPN for anything other than live sports. I probably should watch some of them, as I probably would like a lot of them.
Oh ok. For the sake of staying true to however you think you feel about Simmons, I would avoid them.

So are you taking James Harden that was born in 1989 and transposing him to the 1990s

Or

Are you thinking of a 1965 James Harden that would have been born and bred to compete in the 1990s?

And under either of those scenarios, what’s he hypothesizing would happen? 6’5” 220 pound James Harden would just quit because he wasn’t getting enough foul calls?

And under either of those scenarios, what’s he hypothesizing would happen? 6’5” 220 pound James Harden would just quit because he wasn’t getting enough foul calls?
Yea, good question. Harden would just walk off the court.
Or he would ask to be subbed out.

Or he would avoid driving to the bucket.

Put some logic behind yall's hatred please. It is sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom