THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The doc is clearly going to paint Phil in a positive light, but there's a reason why he has had issues everywhere he has gone. Not the easiest guy to get along with. Plenty of people have had issues with Phil.

Just saying this for a differing perspective.

The doc is clearly going to paint Phil in a positive light, but there's a reason why he has had issues everywhere he has gone. Not the easiest guy to get along with. Plenty of people have had issues with Phil.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but like who?

And I don't really think that diminishes his greatness. Clearly he was as strong a personality as anyone in the room, and also used button pushing for motivation.

Phil is a boss man. That episode was all about the defining lines between goodness and greatness. Which is something Phil understood better than ever how to bridge. Replacing Collins with Phil was a bet on going from good to great. Then Phil replaces the entire offense because he knows good isn’t good enough. And tells the best player in the league that he has to change to be great and convinced him and shows him how.

Yea him and Tex realized real early on that ball movement was the way to go and helped usher out that iso-ball era.

It's definitely a credit to MJ's drive that regardless of how cool he was with Collins, he still had the hunger to improve and be the best even if it meant moving on from him, changing up the team's whole style while sacrificing his absurd numbers in order to become the best.

That's the main thing Krause deserves a lot of credit for, he had the forethought and balls to go with Phils more modern approach to the game even when they were already on the ascendency and didn't have too much pressure or reason to shake things up.

Phil the coach is the GOAT to me, can't say much for his executive career just like MJ but that hasn't been a focus in the doc yet :lol:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but like who?

And I don't really think that diminishes his greatness. Clearly he was as strong a personality as anyone in the room, and also used button pushing for motivation.
Jerry West, Jerry Buss, fellow coaches.

He’s always been a quirky guy. For a time, his different way of thinking was a benefit to him and the team’s he coached. But I think his ego eventually got the better of him and he convinced himself he was smarter than he really is.

The league changed, he didn’t, which is not a good look for someone who likes to act enlightened like Phil does.

It is. Here's an update:

22.png

Please tell me you didn’t spend an hour of your life photoshopping this lame “update.”

Jerry West, Jerry Buss, fellow coaches.
Oh yeah, for sure. I thought he meant players. Which while Phil had tons of feuds with players he coached they all seemed to love him and respect him tremendously (for example Shaq recently saying about the 90s Bulls vs. 00s Lakers in a head to head, "Who's Phil coaching?")

It's pretty clear Phil was as difficult to get along with as a lot of the stars he coached. Who cares though? Doug Collins was famously easy to get along with.

The league changed, he didn’t, which is not a good look for someone who likes to act enlightened like Phil does.
This really doesn't apply to his coaching at all though. I don't think you can say the game passed him by because he was a bad GM. I think if you put him on the Clippers for example he'd get something out of Kawhi and PG that Rivers is incapable of getting.

Oh yeah, for sure. I thought he meant players. Which while Phil had tons of feuds with players he coached they all seemed to love him and respect him tremendously (for example Shaq recently saying about the 90s Bulls vs. 00s Lakers in a head to head, "Who's Phil coaching?")

It's pretty clear Phil was as difficult to get along with as a lot of the stars he coached. Who cares though? Doug Collins was famously easy to get along with.

This really doesn't apply to his coaching at all though. I don't think you can say the game passed him by because he was a bad GM. I think if you put him on the Clippers for example he'd get something out of Kawhi and PG that Rivers is incapable of getting.

I have serious doubts about that. He seemed to have lost his knack for relating to players during his Knicks tenure. He alienated both Melo and Kristaps in stupid ways. I don’t think all that would go away if he chose to coach again.

I have serious doubts about that. He seemed to have lost his knack for relating to players during his Knicks tenure. He alienated both Melo and Kristaps in stupid ways. I don’t think all that would go away if he chose to coach again.

It's totally different. Phil Jackson as a coach used a lot of manipulation techniques to motivate his players. He quickly found out in the FO that that works when you're with the team all the time building relationships, it doesn't work when you're up in the box removed from the locker room.

It's totally different. Phil Jackson as a coach used a lot of manipulation techniques to motivate his players. He quickly found out in the FO that that works when you're with the team all the time building relationships, it doesn't work when you're up in the box removed from the locker room.

I simply disagree that it’s totally different.

And I also don’t agree that all the button pushing techniques he used when he was coaching would work now, on today’s players.

Got no problem with you thinking differently, but you’re not going to change my opinion.

I simply disagree that it’s totally different.

And I also don’t agree that all the button pushing techniques he used when he was coaching would work now, on today’s players.

Got no problem with you thinking differently, but you’re not going to change my opinion.

Not trying to change your opinion. We'll never know, will we? It's a hypothetical. I'm just sharing my read on what happened with the Knicks.

you know what really grinds my gears? the same people who devalue a player's career because of not winning a ring are the same people who whine & cry when players place themselves in the best position to win one.
Well, it's difficult to give out credit to players for the additional success that they attain, when they didn't have to get better for that new success.

It's like someone not being able to beat a video game on the default (medium) setting, so they set the difficulty to easy and beat the game. More success without having to improve, and looking for the same credit had they beat the game on medium :smh:

Well, it's difficult to give out credit to players for the additional success that they attain, when they didn't have to get better for that new success.

It's like someone not being able to beat a video game on the default (medium) setting, so they set the difficulty to easy and beat the game. More success without having to improve.

Yeah I completely forgot every player is placed in a similar situation (having good teammates, coaches, organization)

I thought everyone used civil rights, the state of childhood nutrition and likelihood of mercury exposure to compare the skills, talent and abilities of basketball players across eras....
Not everyone. Just those who readily acknowledge how blatantly obvious and undeniable the effects of those things are. Of course there are some who do deny the effects of those things, like environment has no effect on growth and potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom