These Bishops Booooooooy I Swear vol. Jo Walker

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) - A scandal has rocked one of Nashville's largest churches.

Its leader, Bishop Joseph Walker, is accused of sexual abuse.

For the first time, one of the women making those accusations is telling her story.

"It's not right. It's not right. That's why I'm doing it, at whatever cost," said Valencia Batson in an exclusive interview with Channel 4 News. "It's not right and it just needs to stop."

Batson said until now, fear kept her from coming forward with explosive allegations against Walker and Mt. Zion Baptist Church.

"Church is not to get sick," said Batson. "It's to get better, to be better."

Friday, the 42-year-old real estate broker filed a civil suit claiming she was sexually abused and spiritually and psychologically manipulated at the hands of the bishop and other church leaders.

"When you're in a position of power, you're not to misuse that power," said Batson. "It is not for you to take control over another person and have them do things for your benefit or your pleasure. That is abuse because you're damaging that other person."

Batson wouldn't speak in detail about the alleged abuse, but claimed it started two years after she joined the church.

Batson and three other women listed as "Jane Does" in the suit claim they would meet with Walker and other leaders for counseling and were coerced into sex at a time when they were most vulnerable.

"There is an incident where I was forced to do something while someone else watched," said Batson.

Still, Batson stayed at the church for 11 years.

"All of me was trapped there. My spirit was in that place and I didn't know how to get out," said Batson. "I didn't know how to leave."

"It's a secret society where you don't say anything, but you know what's going on because you're either arranging it or you're participating in it," she said.

Batson said she was afraid to call police, but one time told a church leader about her concerns and was threatened.

Almost immediately after the suit was filed, the church issued a statement through its public relations firm denying the accusations and questioning the credibility of the accusers.

"It appears this action is not a quest for truth or justice, but instead solely for money," said church spokesman John Van Mol in a statement released on Saturday.

Batson, who is a single mother who lost her home while struggling financially, denied to Channel 4 News that money was the focus of the lawsuit.

"I trusted someone. I trusted someone I thought I could trust. And I feel like that's not the focus here," said Batson. "It's not about money. It is not about money, and it never has been about money. It's about what I have lost."

Last Sunday, Walker acknowledged the allegations as an attack with support from the congregation.

"The Lord said because you've been encouraging marriages and empowering young people," said Walker. "You have 2,000 men at the altar praying and you ask why now."

Copyright 2012 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Chick stayed at the chuch 11 more years.
I know alot of members at his church(es), and this has been the "talk of the town"
DiscussEdit: sorry bout the wall of text...stupid tablet

So they ran that thing on her, and now she wants some $$$ ?

They must've promised her that 1st lady of the church position

she should just take the L. There are predators everywhere and if your open well you will get got.

2098318603_e9d9a97a3e_z.jpg

Her use of the word "forced" makes me angry. This preacher really knew how to prey tho, can't knock him for that

So what does she want? Does she want him to face jail time or is she looking for compensation?

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Not sure if I should feel sorry for her or not....leaning towards not feeling sorry for her at all.

Hard to feel bad for her, u stuck around.The lady from the article is one of five in the suit. There's a pdf of the suit out there.One of whom "alegedly" had a "forced" abortion.

she is about to lose her home and is a single mom, yet denies finances has nothing to do with it. she stayed at the church for a decade after the incidents occurred. is there a stature of limitations?

Originally Posted by Keif Sweat

Her use of the word "forced" makes me angry. This preacher really knew how to prey tho, can't knock him for that

why not?

i get how this could happen but it still blows my mind that it does

how does a grown person get taken advantage of like that...

like a few years ago that lady let her boss just drop his D on her forehead in the back of the store...

you a grown person how do you just let that happen?

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

why not?

i get how this could happen but it still blows my mind that it does

like a few years ago that lady let her boss just drop his D on her forehead in the back of the store...

I think its a mixture of curiosity on the victim's part and manipulation on the predator's part. The mind can be real easy to play with if you know what your doing/who your dealing with.

if this is true I really find it hard to believe that people can be so intellectually and emotionally weak to be coerced into something like this.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 How does this even happen and its not foreplay. I mean seriously

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

I think its a mixture of curiosity on the victim's part and manipulation on the predator's part. The mind can be real easy to play with if you know what your doing/who your dealing with.
yup. really easy. i've seen it.

Originally Posted by cap1229

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

only reason i remember is cuz it was so strange...

i think it masturbated and came on her too in a separate incident...they worked at a furniture store or something

she sued but i don't remember if she won...i think so

cap1229 wrote:

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

SWEAR TO GOD....

i work for the FEDS right? so this guy i was reaaaal cool with was the head of our IT department (young dude). how about this fool dropped his pants right in the middle of the the office on some "hey, look at my D".......and that wasnt the first time he'd done it.

THEN, dude had this chick working in the IT department working the phones (switchboard operator). dude stars to harass her on some, unzipping his pants and putting his crotch RIGHT NEXT TO HER FACE saying to her "TOUCH IT, TOUCH IT, you know you wanna touch it" she was married to.

oh and thats not it....

....the same girl went to lunch with him and 2 other coworkers. they all rode with him. on the way back, my dude asked her to flash her %%*%. when she refused he pulled the truck over and said we're not moving another inch until you show us.

....the reason i said i work for the feds is because out of any job you can have the feds dont play that sexual harassment stuff at all.

....crazy part about it to me was dude was no where near like that outside of his office. i still think something may have been wrong with the guy. he had some sort of a medical condition where he was skinny as hell. and im talking you could see his bones through his clothes. apparently he had a brother who passed due to the same condition.
...our tables at work were 6 feet long and i swear half of it was filled with medication bottles and nutrition or weight gaining products. i really do thing maybe he was suffering from some sort of reaction to mixing something.

....and YES, he was fired.

....SIMPLE, the same principle applies to teachers and students.

....the preacher/pastor/bishop/priest is the teacher, the congregation are the students. that plus the fact that people let their guard down when they come to church.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

i think it masturbated and came on her too in a separate incident...they worked at a furniture store or something

Yup. It was a Aarons i believe

Originally Posted by moundraised23

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yup. It was a Aarons i believe

Nope. It was definitely Seaman's furniture (Peace to Phife).

You 40+ and getting sexually abused?
...aight.
grin.gif

It wasn't domestic abuse...but sexually abused

Not sexual harassment....but sexually abused?

He FORCED you to do do something...IN FRONT OF SOMEONE ELSE? Why not say he raped you then?

...Did you think that was in the bible or something? 
laugh.gif

Is she on HGF or something? 

*shrug* maybe god is "testing" her faith... 
laugh.gif

I mean...if god saw something wrong with it...i'm sure he would have stepped in... 
eyes.gif

This is why Eddie Long never had criminal charges filed against him except for just a civil suit. Those boys were OF AGE and anything they did was consensual. 

Good luck to her itching for quarters now.

I'm glad for her calling out the church leadership...but she needed to hand the case over to someone who has a more LEGIT form of sexual assault or something. Her case makes her look more like a fool than an abused woman.

Watch the preacher start talking about him "facing demons" and "fighting spiritual battles against the enemy" and all this other war-torn military talk while the audience gets swept up in it.

I blame everyone who was in the pews reinforcing his ego. 
laugh.gif

The bishop is definitely going to pull the "demons got the best of me" and "inner weakness" card. He'll ask the congregation to pray for him, he'll be forgiven, and no charges will happen. They might even crown him if he takes a page out of the Eddie Long book.

^...dunno bout the crowning and all, but he and eddie are good friends. Long was in Walker's wedding.
Shh cray

Back
Top Bottom