Third look/Comparison CDP IV vs '99 Retro

Originally Posted by 23collector1985

^^^ There would only be something wrong with me if I HATED the CDP IV's and STILL bought them. I have no issue with them. If you think there is something wrong with me because I like them, there is something wrong with you. It's a matter of opinion.

I agree, the quality is not what it used to be. I have the MARS IV's and the retro military blue IV's. I can see the difference. It's just not that big of a deal to me. I'm not wearing them to play ball in as I did in high school back in 1989. I'm just using them to walk around in. I couldn't care less about the slant of the mesh or the jumpman on the heel or the length of the toe box. All I know is that they are not going to fall apart while I'm walking down the street. So, for ME... just speaking for me... they look close enough to what I wore to play ball in 1989, so I will buy and wear them shame-free. If I want to reminisce about how the shoe used to look EXACTLY... I'll go to my closet and pull out my OG's or my '99 retros.

Plus, I'm 34 years old... I don't have any peers that will slam me for the shape of my shoe. None of my friends can even understand why I have so many shoes, nor can they rap their heads around the fact that a pair of shoes, like my OG carmine VI's are worth a lot of money. I buy my J's for the sheer pleasure of owning them. I haven't bought shoes to impress anyone for about 18-20 years
laugh.gif

Im not saying there is something wrong with you for LIKING the shoe, re-read my post. Appearance and quality are 2 different things

Again what im saying is IF you or ANYONE are/is comfortable/happy or whatever you want to say paying 310 dollars for that pack then there IS something wrongwith you becaue its a rip off for what your getting. You can buy the SAME shoe on ebay for 60 bucks, only difference is they were not made at a JB factory.

I paid 100 dollars for my mochas in 01, I paid 140 for the Pure $ III's in 07, the mochas cost me less and are made a HELL of alot better. I work hard formy money and if im going to pay for something I want it to be worth every damn penny.

If YOUR opinion regarding the quality of the shoe, NOT THE APPEARANCE, is that they are GOOD, sorry to break it to you but THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU

Since your 34 years old so you might understand this better....

You go to buy tires for your car, you have been a Michelin man your whole life and a single tire usually costs you about $150. Michelin always has madeEXCELLENT, ABOVE AVERAGE tires, however, to maximize their profit they are now selling tires that have been re-treaded and using poor quality rubber/ treadpattern similar to a generic brand such as Riken. Michelin is now charging 199 for that tire, but Riken only charges 79. Its the SAME tire, just made by adifferent factory.

Are you going to buy the Michelin just because its what youve always bought and it was made at a Michelin factory?

Originally Posted by arc9802

^^ Yes, you are right, it's a matter of opinion. Usually it's a young dude that doesn't care about the quality. I'm surprised it's an old guy (I'm old too, 34 as well) that doesn't have a problem with the quality. But it's fine if you don't have a problem. However, wouldn't you rather have them better? Wouldn't you rather have the quality and comfort like they were in the old days? You are paying more money for a shoe that has bad quality. If you had to choose wouldn't you like that Jumpman replaced with Nike Air? That Nike Air was a big part of the beauty of the shoe in my opinion. I would say that about the 3's, 4's and 5's.

Thanks for the post, arc, however, I'm not willing to call myself old just yet
laugh.gif

Of course I would like all the retros to be exactly like the OGs. I'd have to be an idiot not to (don't say anything, sickickz
laugh.gif
). Buthonestly, it's such a HUGE difference that I'm going to get angry about it.

I'll say this about the quality of the OG's. I was fortunate enough to own and play varsity ball in OG 3's, 4's and 5's, and this is whatI experienced...

The 3's were fantastic. I had both the white/cements and the fire reds. They were a great shoe to play ball in. I had no issues with them. When theseason was over, I played outdoor ball in them and it took months do finally destroy them. I literally wore them until they had holes in the soles.

Now... the OG IV's... and hold on to your hats, everyone... had quality issues!!! I had OG white/cement, OG fire red and the black/red IV'sand I played varsity ball in all of them. While they were very comfortable, there was an issue with them. The inside lining on the heel tore on all 3 of mine(I'll try to take pics of my OG black/reds to show you what I mean). Also, the heel tab bent after a while. It was made of plastic, not the rubbery kindof material that the recent retros are made with. Inevitably, because the heel tab on the OG's was made of plastic, it bent backwards after a few monthsof use and looked horrible. I actually got my OG fire red IVs because I took my OG white/cements back to Footlocker after the lining ripped on the heel and myheel began rubbing against the plastic underneath. Apparently, this had been a problem they had seen before and Footlocer was nice enough to let me exchangefor the fire reds which had then come out at the time. I ended up having the same issue with the fire red IV's a few months after that. Another issue...some of the stitching would come off around the toe area.

The V's were ok to play in, but I found the sole didn't have a lot of traction. I found them to be a bit "slippery" to play in. Butoverall, they were comfortable and offered decent support.

The point I am trying to make is, people are complaining about the quality of the recent retros, but the truth is, even the OG's had quality issues oftheir own. We hold the OG's and earlier retros in some mythical regard that they are void of any imperfections... but that simply is not the case.

I guarantee this... if things were reversed, LOOKS-wise... if the OG IV's looked like the the '08 retros and the '08 retros looked like the OGIV's... people would now be complaining that the toe box was too short and the mesh was slanted differently. That is a fact.

PS:

To Jeanius:

I understand what you are saying. I never said I was happy with the quality of the newer retros. I just don't think they are as horrible as a lot of youthink they are. See the rest of my post above as to why I may have a bit of a different experience than some of you.

PSS: You don't have to give me an analogy about car tires just because I'm 34 years old. I've been buying J's since 1985... I get the qualityargument
laugh.gif

Still a pass for me. Why spend $310 on a pair of shoes that will look beat after a couple of wears due to the horrible quality? It's deja vu of themilitary/mars all over again. I would be a fool to spend $310.

i have to agree w/ some people when they say: STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE MATERIALS. we should be THANKFUL that they are even dropping again. out of the 9 or 10years NT has been in existence, how many times have people asked for nike to re-retro the 4's, or drop the carmine 6's, etc? these CDP's allow forthis to happen. 10 years of complaining and crying, and JB has satisfied most needs in just THIS ONE YEAR. if you don't want the 4's then stop *****ingabout it and stay home so that someone else who appreciates ****.

^^ Yes, you are right, it's a matter of opinion. Usually it's a young dude that doesn't care about the quality. I'm surprised it's an old guy (I'm old too, 34 as well) that doesn't have a problem with the quality. But it's fine if you don't have a problem. However, wouldn't you rather have them better? Wouldn't you rather have the quality and comfort like they were in the old days? You are paying more money for a shoe that has bad quality. If you had to choose wouldn't you like that Jumpman replaced with Nike Air? That Nike Air was a big part of the beauty of the shoe in my opinion. I would say that about the 3's, 4's and 5's.

laugh.gif

Of course I would like all the retros to be exactly like the OGs. I'd have to be an idiot not to (don't say anything, sickickz
laugh.gif
). But honestly, it's such a HUGE difference that I'm going to get angry about it.

I'll say this about the quality of the OG's. I was fortunate enough to own and play varsity ball in OG 3's, 4's and 5's, and this is what I experienced...

The 3's were fantastic. I had both the white/cements and the fire reds. They were a great shoe to play ball in. I had no issues with them. When the season was over, I played outdoor ball in them and it took months do finally destroy them. I literally wore them until they had holes in the soles.

Now... the OG IV's... and hold on to your hats, everyone... had quality issues!!! I had OG white/cement, OG fire red and the black/red IV's and I played varsity ball in all of them. While they were very comfortable, there was an issue with them. The inside lining on the heel tore on all 3 of mine (I'll try to take pics of my OG black/reds to show you what I mean). Also, the heel tab bent after a while. It was made of plastic, not the rubbery kind of material that the recent retros are made with. Inevitably, because the heel tab on the OG's was made of plastic, it bent backwards after a few months of use and looked horrible. I actually got my OG fire red IVs because I took my OG white/cements back to Footlocker after the lining ripped on the heel and my heel began rubbing against the plastic underneath. Apparently, this had been a problem they had seen before and Footlocer was nice enough to let me exchange for the fire reds which had then come out at the time. I ended up having the same issue with the fire red IV's a few months after that. Another issue... some of the stitching would come off around the toe area.

The V's were ok to play in, but I found the sole didn't have a lot of traction. I found them to be a bit "slippery" to play in. But overall, they were comfortable and offered decent support.

The point I am trying to make is, people are complaining about the quality of the recent retros, but the truth is, even the OG's had quality issues of their own. We hold the OG's and earlier retros in some mythical regard that they are void of any imperfections... but that simply is not the case.

I guarantee this... if things were reversed, LOOKS-wise... if the OG IV's looked like the the '08 retros and the '08 retros looked like the OG IV's... people would now be complaining that the toe box was too short and the mesh was slanted differently. That is a fact.

PS:

To Jeanius:

I understand what you are saying. I never said I was happy with the quality of the newer retros. I just don't think they are as horrible as a lot of you think they are. See the rest of my post above as to why I may have a bit of a different experience than some of you.

PSS: You don't have to give me an analogy about car tires just because I'm 34 years old. I've been buying J's since 1985... I get the quality argument
laugh.gif
No, you are not old yet! 34 is still young! : ) I understand what you are saying about the IV's and V's, I had the same problem with the backheal of the IV's. But maybe they could have just fixed that part of the shoe and leave everything else the same. Wouldn't that be cool? My biggestproblem with the new retros is the comfort. The new retros just hurt. I have a pair of 2000 black/silver V's and a pair of 2006 V's and there is nocomparison as far as comfort goes. I have said it before but I wish JB would make some III's exactly like the OG's! Those are my favorite Jordans.Please JB make me a pair : )

Thanks SG you just convinced me to not waste my time or money on these low quality 4's.

btw '99 IVs won't "crumble"
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
). But honestly, it's such a HUGE difference that I'm going to get angry about it.

I'll say this about the quality of the OG's. I was fortunate enough to own and play varsity ball in OG 3's, 4's and 5's, and this is what I experienced...

The 3's were fantastic. I had both the white/cements and the fire reds. They were a great shoe to play ball in. I had no issues with them. When the season was over, I played outdoor ball in them and it took months do finally destroy them. I literally wore them until they had holes in the soles.

Now... the OG IV's... and hold on to your hats, everyone... had quality issues!!! I had OG white/cement, OG fire red and the black/red IV's and I played varsity ball in all of them. While they were very comfortable, there was an issue with them. The inside lining on the heel tore on all 3 of mine (I'll try to take pics of my OG black/reds to show you what I mean). Also, the heel tab bent after a while. It was made of plastic, not the rubbery kind of material that the recent retros are made with. Inevitably, because the heel tab on the OG's was made of plastic, it bent backwards after a few months of use and looked horrible. I actually got my OG fire red IVs because I took my OG white/cements back to Footlocker after the lining ripped on the heel and my heel began rubbing against the plastic underneath. Apparently, this had been a problem they had seen before and Footlocer was nice enough to let me exchange for the fire reds which had then come out at the time. I ended up having the same issue with the fire red IV's a few months after that. Another issue... some of the stitching would come off around the toe area.

The V's were ok to play in, but I found the sole didn't have a lot of traction. I found them to be a bit "slippery" to play in. But overall, they were comfortable and offered decent support.

The point I am trying to make is, people are complaining about the quality of the recent retros, but the truth is, even the OG's had quality issues of their own. We hold the OG's and earlier retros in some mythical regard that they are void of any imperfections... but that simply is not the case.

I guarantee this... if things were reversed, LOOKS-wise... if the OG IV's looked like the the '08 retros and the '08 retros looked like the OG IV's... people would now be complaining that the toe box was too short and the mesh was slanted differently. That is a fact.

PS:

To Jeanius:

I understand what you are saying. I never said I was happy with the quality of the newer retros. I just don't think they are as horrible as a lot of you think they are. See the rest of my post above as to why I may have a bit of a different experience than some of you.

PSS: You don't have to give me an analogy about car tires just because I'm 34 years old. I've been buying J's since 1985... I get the quality argument
laugh.gif
No, you are not old yet! 34 is still young! : ) I understand what you are saying about the IV's and V's, I had the same problem with the back heal of the IV's. But maybe they could have just fixed that part of the shoe and leave everything else the same. Wouldn't that be cool? My biggest problem with the new retros is the comfort. The new retros just hurt. I have a pair of 2000 black/silver V's and a pair of 2006 V's and there is no comparison as far as comfort goes. I have said it before but I wish JB would make some III's exactly like the OG's! Those are my favorite Jordans. Please JB make me a pair : )

Ah man, of course that would be cool. Ideally, I would LOVE them to be exactly as the OG's or earlier retros. In a perfect world, they would be. I'm just saying, I don't find the differences that horrible. I also have the 2000 retro V's (2 pairs of the white/black/red and 1 pair orthe black/silver), but I haven't worn them. I can't bring myself to. I have tried on my 2006 retro V's and noticed they weren't thatcomfortable, but hadn't worn a pair of V's since 1990 and couldn't remember how they felt to compare.

As far as the IIIs are concerned, I have to say, my '94 retros are almost, if not exactly like my OG's. Oh, the irony... the 1994 retros were damnnear identical to the OG's... BUT ALMOST NO ONE BOUGHT THEM!!
laugh.gif

It was a good time to be and "ol' time" Jordan head. I was finally able to get leather I's (I only had the black/red AJKO's back in85/86), I was FINALLY able to get my II's, which my parents couldn't afford to buy for me back in 1987, and I got my III's that I had destroyedback in 1988. Then, of course the IV's were retroed and was thrilled to get those again. When they decided to retro Jordans in 1994, I thought I had diedand gone to heaven
laugh.gif
I never thought I would see the J's I wore in high school again.

Anyway, again, I absolutely would love if the retros were made exactly like the OG's or earlier retro Jordans. Honestly, there really is no reason theycouldn't. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'm just happy the colorways I love are coming out again... and if thequality ain't that great, I won't feel as bad wearing them
laugh.gif

...Maybe if I actually wore my OG's or 1994-2001 retros, so I could compare them to today's retros, I'd be complaining more!
laugh.gif

After watching that video (Thank You BTW) I'm gonna pass on the pack and buy the 99 retros. I could care less about the 19's. You're basicallypaying $310 for some run of the mill 4's JB put together overnight.

my dude hooking me up ima cop the concord xis for 3 bills DS then ima cop the 99 again F a countdown pack. its a shame if there doing it 1 more time why dontthey just do it the right way.

^^^ Their "target" consumers do not demand a change, so in turn JB continues to cut corners(i.e. spending the least on materials to make the mostprofit). I know their sales suggest otherwise but IMO other than the current XXIII line JB has been boring for a few years now. It just does not have the samecache anymore in my eyes. JB was the benchmark, to me their just another brand now.

Originally Posted by sickickz23

"I don't understand all this hate."

"The differences aren't noticable."

smh.gif
Terrible.

I'mma have to cosign, I wouldn't call myself a "sneakerhead" or a sneakergeek.

I prolly can't help with ANY legit check but that video made it perfectly clear how JB doesn't care about quality.

he said it himself, hes not a big collector and he can tell how cheap they are. the militarys, the mars on the mars... I'm done with 4s JB, I'mgoing to even sell my used pairs.
maybe use the $ to pay for half of some OREOs. another # of Jordans I want nothing to do with. you ruined 7s for me, now4s,
tired.gif

my take on it is that i seriously dont understand how brand Jordan intends to maintain its integrity and customer loyalty, while upholding the legacy of these shoes if when they drop they find someway of ruining it. i mean that toebox is waaay off. i mean yea they say they cant fully replicate the shape because they dont have original molds or wutever, but cmon... how many engineers does nike/jordan have? you tellin me the the largest sports company which promises to deliver the best uncompromised goods cant even eyeball the shape of a shoe to realize its off?? smh. these and the cement iii's are like my most sought after shoes, and i must say i am seriously disappointed. and by the looks of it, they're probably gonna find a way to ruin those iii' comin out later this year. thank you JB for being the grinch who who stole christmas....
Dont believe for one minute that JB cant make retroes EXACTLY like they were in 99-01.

They are VERY capable, but you know what?

THEY DONT HAVE TO. (right now)

Why in the hell would a business with no integritiy, JB included, give its consumer a quality product when they can give them an inferior one the resemebleswhat the consumer wants, raise the prices, AND HAVE THE SHOES SELL OUT?

Of all of the retroes released in this nightmare of an era, starting with the XII in 2003, JB can take 2009 off and come back in 2010 and release the sameshoes over again with better material and Nike Air, if applicable, and everyone, me included, would buy them again.

example:

I bought 3 pairs of fire red 5s in Dec. 2006, and I dont regret it, Im enjoying them. If JB released them again THIS CHRISTMAS on the 2000 format (quality andNike Air), ID BUY 3 MORE!!!

is that really a 8.5? that sucks. the toe is the only thing that bothers me. hopefully it does have the same quality as the militaries.

Back
Top Bottom