Thoughts on the Johnathon Martin - Ritchie Incognito situation?

Welp Phins organization is looking bad right now, didn't Ireland call Dez mom a *** too or something in the pre-draft interviews?

Surprise!!, there were red flags before this happened.

This is the go to ******g response on this board when people can't think of anything else to say 
laugh.gif

Go paint your face
You literally said some meaningless internet tough guy phrase though...
laugh.gif

And the plot thickens......

Sources: Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin

"Miami Dolphins' coaches asked player Richie Incognito, who was the offensive line's undisputed leader, to toughen up teammate Jonathan Martin after he missed a voluntary workout last spring, at least two sources told the Sun Sentinel.

And I'm suppose to believe Joe Philbin knew nothing about this... ******** :smh:

Court of public opinion should be harsh when judging Philbin. It's your job to know anything related to the team. Partially why I respect Coughlin so much. He does things the right way. Tough as nails, but respected and understood. Handled the Prince situation proactively.

I've lost respect for Pouncey during this situation and the Hernandez fiasco. Is he brother in Pittsburgh like-minded?

Court of public opinion should be harsh when judging Philbin. It's your job to know anything related to the team. Partially why I respect Coughlin so much. He does things the right way. Tough as nails, but respected and understood. Handled the Prince situation proactively.

I've lost respect for Pouncey during this situation and the Hernandez fiasco. is he brother in Pittsburgh like-minded?

View media item 643130
It's amazing what Urban Meyer and Tebow covered up

Last edited by a moderator:
And I hold Urban Meyer just as accountable at UF as Philbin in MIA. Pro, college, don't matter. My team or not, doesn't matter. Do the right thing. Or be exposed.

Yup incognito would definitely be back in the league
People have done worse and kept playing ball. That was never in question. This would have been his last season in Miami anyway as he was 30 making 4 mil.

At least paste the entire article:
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Sources: Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin[/h1][h2]  [/h2]
[h5]  [/h5]
Omar and Chris views on Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin

Related Content Philbin on workplace expectationsBryant McKinnie's thoughts on IncognitoJared Odrick's thoughts on hazingCoach Joe Philbin on Martin and Incognito.Cameron Wake on life in the locker roomVideo: Jonathan Martin story reportedly takes racial twistAdam Schefter on Dolphins mess: 'This story is just warming up. This is going to get bad.'Mike Ditka: 'If Incognito did it he should be kicked out of the league'Hyde5: Could Martin saga cost coaches jobs?Video: Dave Hyde reacts to Dolphins' horrible mess

By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel
8:17 pm, November 5, 2013

Miami Dolphins' coaches asked player Richie Incognito, who was the offensive line's undisputed leader, to toughen up teammate Jonathan Martin after he missed a voluntary workout last spring, at least two sources told the Sun Sentinel.

The sources told the paper they believe that Incognito, who is accused of using racially incendiary language and bullying tactics against Martin, may have taken those orders too far.

It's not clear whether those marching orders will now become part of a pending investigation by the NFL into the Dolphins' locker room culture, and the alleged bullying that took place between Incognito and Martin.

"I'm just trying to weather the storm right now. This will pass," Incognito told WSVN-TV when reached outside a doctor's office.

Incognito has been suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins for conduct detrimental to the team for his tactics involving Martin, the team's 2012 second-round pick, who left the team last week and later accused the Dolphins of having an unsafe working environment.

Martin's smoking gun is a threatening, and racially offensive voice mail Incognito left him in April. In that voice message Incognito calls Martin, who is bi-racial, a "half n-----," threatened to slap his mother across the face, and uttered the words "I'll kill you."

Sources say that communication took place when Martin skipped two days of the team's OTA program, and Incognito was encouraged by his coaches to make a call that would "get him into the fold," one source said.

Even though OTA workouts are voluntary, the NFL culture forces coaches to strong arm the team's leaders to make sure everyone attends. Sources say Incognito was doing his job, but they admit he crossed the line.

"Richie is the type of guy where if he's on your team you love him," a teammate said. "If he's not on your team, you hate him. Every team needs a guy like that."

A Dolphins spokesman declined comment when told about Incognito's directives from the coaching staff, saying the franchise is fully cooperating with the NFL's independent investigation, which was requested by owner Steve Ross.

It is clear Incognito embraced his role as the team's enforcer and tough guy, his teammates said. However, nobody knew how troubling his relationship was with Martin, who started 10 straight games next to Incognito going back to the 2012 season, those same teammates added.

Martin abruptly left the team last week after a lunch room prank orchestrated by his fellow offensive lineman caused his emotional distress, and forced him to return to his California hometown, where he's receiving treatment.

The NFL Player's Association released a statement Tuesday saying it will monitor the NFL's investigation to ensure all the players the union represents, which includes Incognito, get a "fair investigation."

"We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples," the statement read. "It is the duty of this union to hold the clubs and teams accountable for safety and professionalism in the workplace."

During Martin's rookie season he was nicknamed "Big Weirdo" by his teammates, and was forced to sport an embarrassing haircut given to him by the offensive linemen. He also forked over $15,000 for a veterans trip to Las Vegas he didn't attend.

The Dolphins traditionally hold rite of passage rituals for its rookies, and some of the team's antics – which included ridiculous haircuts, hair dying, and elaborate dinners paid for by the rookies – could be considered hazing. Those would make them a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Sources say players were annually directed by coach Joe Philbin to "cut out" the rookie hazing. Philbin comes from a Green Bay Packers culture where rookie hazing is minimal, or at least subtle. While Philbin tried to rein it in with the Dolphins, he and his coaching staff never policed it when the team was dying and shaving heads for the second straight training camp.

However, Philbin did insist that the rookies got decent haircuts before the team's first exhibition game, but that was after weeks of them sporting their embarrassing looks.

Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe indicated that Martin should have come to the leadership council with his problems, which apparently carried over to his second season. The problem is Incognito was also on the leadership council, and possessed a tremendous amount of power and influence.

That might explains why Martin hid his issues with Incognito, and on occasion hung around with him in South Florida, and during road trips. It is possible Martin felt he had to do so to feel accepted.

According to ESPN, Martin told former Stanford teammate Zach Ertz he planned to continue playing football. The Dolphins have kept him on the team's 53-man roster, and players have gone out their way to make sure he knows he's welcomed back.
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Hyde5: Ricky Williams defends Incognito, says bullying not issue[/h1][h2]  [/h2]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]
Email
[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
Facebook
[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
Twitter
[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][/table]

Related Content Video: Dave Hyde reacts to Dolphins' horrible messBryant McKinnie's thoughts on IncognitoJared Odrick's thoughts on hazingPhilbin on workplace expectationsHyde5: Could Martin saga cost coaches jobs?Mike Ditka: 'If Incognito did it he should be kicked out of the league'Adam Schefter on Dolphins mess: 'This story is just warming up. This is going to get bad.'Video: Jonathan Martin story reportedly takes racial twistCameron Wake on life in the locker roomCoach Joe Philbin on Martin and Incognito.Omar and Chris views on Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin

Dave Hyde
6:51 pm, November 5, 2013

Every former player and coach has a take on the Jonathan Martin saga. Most say it never should have happened. You'd expect Ricky Williams to have his own, interesting take on the Jonathan Martin saga.
Here's how he summed up his feelings in a San Francisco radio interview on KMGZ:
"I think it has to do with a guy who didn't know what he was getting into when he got in the NFL,'' Williams said. "And then it got kind of hot and heated he didn't have any mentors or anyone who could give him any advice. And it got out of hand. I think the only issue is a lack of leadership in the locker room and this is the way it was manifested."

Ricky sided with Richie Incognito and said Jonathan Martin perhaps shouldn't play football. He gave no thought that Incognito bullied or hazed or harrassed Martin. Ricky played with Incognito with the Dolphins in 2010, so he has worked with him.

Here are Ricky's main comments to the radio station::

1. On bullying: "My first thought was how is bullying something that's even mentioned regarding the NFL? Because that's kind of what we're taught to do, at least on the field - to bully the guy across from us so we can win the football game."

And: "What we're required to do physically, mentally and emotionally for the course of a season is astronomical; it's amazing. And I'm not saying that it's bad. I'm saying just really speaks to what it takes to be a professional football player. And to me there's no room to play the victim or to be bullied or to even have that discussion when it comes to the NFL. If you're having that discussion, it just means that maybe you don't belong in the NFL."

2. On relating to Martin considering he quit football for a period: "I think I can relate and I can speak on this because I was at a point where I was done with the NFL and I needed to take a break. But unlike Jonathan, I didn't have to find a scapegoat or someone to blame. I just failed a drug test. But I didn't have to bring anyone else down when I found out that I just couldn't handle what I was going through at the time."

3. Ricky on how he would have reacted to Incognito's message: "I never made it a personal attack on me. I just considered it part of the game. When I came in as a rookie, they called me 'Ricky Weirdo.' And they busted my balls and they gave me a hard time, but I just laughed because it was funny."

And: "If someone sent me those messages, I would send a text back and call him a redneck and put 'lol.' To me, situations that you got yourself into, you got yourself into. It falls on you to find a way to get yourself out. And I'm not judging the way he got himself out of the situation. I actually think it's quite brilliant.

4. Ricky on what should have happened: "If I was on the team, and I saw this getting out of hand, I'd just go up to Richie, tap him on the shoulder and say, 'Hey, why don't you lay off. I think he's had too much.' But if you look at the situation, I think people are getting facts here and there and not looking at what occurred ..

And: "(Martin) is fighting back in his own way. There's all these text messages and these voice messages. It takes some awareness and some planning and some orchestration to actually save those and record those. ... (Martin) is fighting (Incognito), but he's just doing it in his own way. If we're going to talk about the story as a hazing story - which doesn't fit - or as a bullying story, it's really a great example of the kid that is 'getting bullied' fighting back in his own way. I think they're both victims. I think the truth is never going to come out. One guy has a paid vacation. And one guy has a vacation that's not paid right now."

5. Ricky on Incognito's use of the n-word: "It's not inflammatory if it's your family.When you look at a team, especially two guys who play , you can't put it in the context outside a family setting. So to say it's inflammatory to me is not fair ...

And: "I played with Richie. And I'm black. My personal experience is, no, he's not racist. But that's just my personal experience. Everyone has a right to their own experience ... If you had a tape recorder in the locker room, you would hear a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly in the media. A football team, the NFL, it's a fraternity. ... It's not fair and it's not right for people on the outside to judge and try to figure out what's going on on the inside because most of the people on the outside wouldn't last a week on an NFL team."

Last edited:
And I hold Urban Meyer just as accountable at UF as Philbin in MIA. Pro, college, don't matter. My team or not, doesn't matter. Do the right thing. Or be exposed.

Doing the right thing isn't nearly as important as winning american culture.

Lance Armstrong made millions off lying. Arod makes more than some countries because of steroids. Media destroyed lebron ffor taking a short cut, not doing it the right way etc. Not that same media is on his **** once he got a ring.

So let's not pretend like doing the right thing matters that much because unfortunately it doesn't.

I agree, but those Tebow years at UF had a lot of questionable guys but they were winning and had the Tebow.

Man, the way college sports are these days nothing would surprise me. I assume the worst when it comes to these big football schools.

Some parts of this story are just odd. Martin participated in the same hazing and pranks on the rookies as other guys...and after leaving the team texted incognito to say he didn't blame the guys just football culture.

The voicemail was from April and since then Martin and incognito went go karting together, Heat playoff game together, and hung out in New Orleans and got pictures snapped with a fan. Martin's parents are both lawyers too.

With the new news coming out though, I imagine this falls on Philbin and upper level staff. I tend to think incognito will find a team before Martin.

I love all the people saying oh just punch, oh just hit the bully in the face. Richie Incognito is a crazy person, a crazy person who also happens to be 330 pounds, but more importantly bat**** insane. :lol:

Everyone saying that is probably sub 6 feet. :rofl:

I'm a big guy, and even If I was oline big your ******g crazy if think I'm going any where near Richie Incognito.

You don't fight crazy people, its like rule 1 in life. :lol:

Exactly. Fight a tough guy, fine. Fight Ron Artest, lose a limb. Leave crazy folk the **** alone. :lol:

This may end up a Dolphins fan dream come true. Ireland, Philbin, Sherman could all be gone and take Richie-Martin with them. Phin fans would celebrate.

But if the NFL cops draft picks, I ain't celebratin. :smh:

Some parts of this story are just odd. Martin participated in the same hazing and pranks on the rookies as other guys...and after leaving the team texted incognito to say he didn't blame the guys just football culture.

The voicemail was from April and since then Martin and incognito went go karting together, Heat playoff game together, and hung out in New Orleans and got pictures snapped with a fan. Martin's parents are both lawyers too.

With the new news coming out though, I imagine this falls on Philbin and upper level staff. I tend to think incognito will find a team before Martin.

Martin sounds more like a little girl with every piece of information that comes out. He's gonna have a hard time finding a new team after this if he's released.

Martin sounds more like a little girl with every piece of information that comes out. He's gonna have a hard time finding a new team after this if he's released.

:lol:

Honestly when you use the term "bully" people automatically assume it's a child's problem..... If we call it something else like assault, extortion, racism, or harassment then people see it differently.

Exactly. Fight a tough guy, fine. Fight Ron Artest, lose a limb. Leave crazy folk the **** alone. :lol:

This may end up a Dolphins fan dream come true. Ireland, Philbin, Sherman could all be gone and take Richie-Martin with them. Phin fans would celebrate.

But if the NFL cops draft picks, I ain't celebratin. :smh:

How credible is Omar Kelly the writer who wrote the article? He says he has two sources of course he can't name them. Hope its worth it can't see any player or coach welcoming him in the locker room again.

Last edited:
Omar is in the locker room. He's a complete douche bag, arrogant as hell, but he wouldn't make up stuff like this. He isn't the best beat guy the Dolphins have, but he does have access.

Ben Volin would have been great, he left in the summer. Adam Beasley is our best right now. He is one of the ones that tracked Incognito's dad thru the internet.

The pompous, dismissive, elitist "oh you think different then me so I'm going to completely disregard your opinion and act like I'm smarter then you" mindset some niketalkers have is comical. Some of you come across as if you think your smarter then you really are.

It seems like its either one extreme or the other on this topic and there's no such thing as a middle ground and/or waiting for all the facts and information to come out huh.

Back
Top Bottom