To my NT agnostics/atheists/Antons

Question, do ya'll use phrase such as "Thank God I made it here on time.." "Jesus Christ, look at that mass!" "Goddamn, son got styled on"?? ...not the exactly how I used em, but you get my drift. ..Just curious, it may just come out from time to time. Pause.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

My parents are super religious and hard headed, real talk they'd prolly try to kick me out the crib if I told them I don't believe in their savior. Its hard getting to explain that you have formed your own beliefs, when they are so stuck in their ways.

anyways, realized that I didn't believe when I sat down and thought to myself, if my parents raised me to a Muslim, would I still 'believe' in Jesus? the answer was NO, is believe whatever it was they taught me. that made me realized I only believed in Christianity because that was the only religion presented to me when I was younger.

Only if other religious folks can see this type of reasoning. The only reason why you're are what you are is because you were taught it. 

Originally Posted by 18th letter

My parents are super religious and hard headed, real talk they'd prolly try to kick me out the crib if I told them I don't believe in their savior. Its hard getting to explain that you have formed your own beliefs, when they are so stuck in their ways.

anyways, realized that I didn't believe when I sat down and thought to myself, if my parents raised me to a Muslim, would I still 'believe' in Jesus? the answer was NO, is believe whatever it was they taught me. that made me realized I only believed in Christianity because that was the only religion presented to me when I was younger.

Only if other religious folks can see this type of reasoning. The only reason why you're are what you are is because you were taught it. 

Originally Posted by NeptuneBeats187

Question, do ya'll use phrase such as "Thank God I made it here on time.." "Jesus Christ, look at that mass!" "Goddamn, son got styled on"?? ...not the exactly how I used em, but you get my drift. ..Just curious, it may just come out from time to time. Pause.
I might say "Jesus Christ" in response to certain things once in a while. I remember as a kid I use to think ppl were saying Jesus Marian Joseph instead of Jesus, Mary & Joseph. I still say it the wrong way.
laugh.gif
I might say "Bless you" once in a while when ppl sneeze.

I credit all of that to conditioning as a kid due to the environment I grew up in and anything or anyone I interacted with.

Originally Posted by NeptuneBeats187

I might say "Jesus Christ" in response to certain things once in a while. I remember as a kid I use to think ppl were saying Jesus Marian Joseph instead of Jesus, Mary & Joseph. I still say it the wrong way.
laugh.gif
I might say "Bless you" once in a while when ppl sneeze.

I credit all of that to conditioning as a kid due to the environment I grew up in and anything or anyone I interacted with.

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

James Earl Zones wrote:
badmoonRison wrote:
I stopped believing somewhere in high school... it didn't help that I had a catholic H.S. that liked to force-feed jesus stuff to the students. I really reacted badly to that, and realized that I really doubted everything about the Bible and I was just faking it for my mom.

When I told my mom I didn't care about Catholicism anymore, she said "it's nice to have something to comfort you, for instance when my grandmother died believing in God really helped me picture her in a better place." 

So I always thought that maybe I would have a large conversion if someone close to me died... but my cousin died last summer, and I got even more bitter and angry. How could a "loving god" let my cousin die like that? A 32-year-old successful accountant in a Chicago firm about to get engaged to his longtime GF? Nah, it wasn't part of the plan, it's just that things happen. People die randomly and it's horrible, but it's part of life. There's no god up there calling the shots.

I used to be very angry and I used to love trolling people like mormons and witnesses, but I've been going to meditation lately and there we talk about forgiveness and peace and things like that... so I've accepted that people are different and will always have varying opinions on religion until the end of our existence. 
There's a few kinds of people that keep my faith in humanity alive, and you're one of those kinds of people. You were the opposite, a real life troll, but you made that transition to an understanding human being. I don't know you from the next poster, but I appreciate that a lot and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope whatever deity out there that exists blesses you through your life sir.

Thank you man, that's a big compliment. That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on NT in eight years 
happy.gif

I'm engaged in a constant quest to find peace and calm in my life... I'm really trying to live less negatively, if that makes sense. If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, I suggest visiting a meditation center. Most people there are Buddhist or Atheists, and there's no religious talk of any kind... just searching your soul and things like that. 

@ lobotomybeats

"Along with being an atheist, I am also an antitheist. I believe church and it's effect on people is harmful. "

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wow man, that sounds like you are going to be a hater for the rest of your life... that's like declaring yourself a Republican-hater, you can stress and stress and stress about it but they will never go away... same with churches. The closer we move towards the end of existence (which really can be tomorrow or can be 2,000 years from now), I think more people will turn to churches for comfort.

You've really made it clear in your posts that you dislike religion... and I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, but I suggest keeping it at just that: a dislike. Ripping on churchgoers seems like it would be satisfying, but it's really pretty malicious and hurtful. I don't like church either, but there's a lot worse things people could be doing than trying to be a better person once a week.
[/font]

Look, I have nothing against religious people per se. They are fine and can't help it.   It's religion I am against. I dislike religion because of what it falsely promises and what it asks of it's followers.  It wrongly tells you that the reasons for things happening are not only in the hands of someone else, but should also be accepted because of this.  The different pains and happiness felt are caused by some invisible entity that has no problem doling out both.  Not only should you accept it but accept that god is perfectly content knowing you are going through such pains.  God is indifferent towards your pain because somehow it makes you stronger or because it's part of god's plan.  RUBBISH!  Don't doubt god, it's part of his plan.  Also, don't doubt anything else or have any wonderment!   Religion asks it's followers to somehow forget any logic and knowingly make themselves ******ed in regard to things that are obvious %+*%%%#!.  Be content with an unwavering god that refuses to evolve.  We evolved. God hasn't.  If god was a friend, you would have forgot about him after high school.  Religion was born in a time when no one knew anything.  It is the equivalent of having a toddler determine what is morally right for the rest of our days here.  It doesn't sound right, does it?  That said, if no one was introduced to religion until later in life (age of reason), there is no way religion would be as prevalent as it is. 

The promises of eternal happiness is like some Make-a-Wish foundation promise, only Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't visit you in the hospital and a puppy doesn't lick your face.  It's ridiculous.  Consolations that are false aren't any different than lies. 

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

James Earl Zones wrote:
badmoonRison wrote:
I stopped believing somewhere in high school... it didn't help that I had a catholic H.S. that liked to force-feed jesus stuff to the students. I really reacted badly to that, and realized that I really doubted everything about the Bible and I was just faking it for my mom.

When I told my mom I didn't care about Catholicism anymore, she said "it's nice to have something to comfort you, for instance when my grandmother died believing in God really helped me picture her in a better place." 

So I always thought that maybe I would have a large conversion if someone close to me died... but my cousin died last summer, and I got even more bitter and angry. How could a "loving god" let my cousin die like that? A 32-year-old successful accountant in a Chicago firm about to get engaged to his longtime GF? Nah, it wasn't part of the plan, it's just that things happen. People die randomly and it's horrible, but it's part of life. There's no god up there calling the shots.

I used to be very angry and I used to love trolling people like mormons and witnesses, but I've been going to meditation lately and there we talk about forgiveness and peace and things like that... so I've accepted that people are different and will always have varying opinions on religion until the end of our existence. 
There's a few kinds of people that keep my faith in humanity alive, and you're one of those kinds of people. You were the opposite, a real life troll, but you made that transition to an understanding human being. I don't know you from the next poster, but I appreciate that a lot and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope whatever deity out there that exists blesses you through your life sir.

Thank you man, that's a big compliment. That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on NT in eight years 
happy.gif

I'm engaged in a constant quest to find peace and calm in my life... I'm really trying to live less negatively, if that makes sense. If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, I suggest visiting a meditation center. Most people there are Buddhist or Atheists, and there's no religious talk of any kind... just searching your soul and things like that. 

@ lobotomybeats

"Along with being an atheist, I am also an antitheist. I believe church and it's effect on people is harmful. "

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wow man, that sounds like you are going to be a hater for the rest of your life... that's like declaring yourself a Republican-hater, you can stress and stress and stress about it but they will never go away... same with churches. The closer we move towards the end of existence (which really can be tomorrow or can be 2,000 years from now), I think more people will turn to churches for comfort.

You've really made it clear in your posts that you dislike religion... and I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, but I suggest keeping it at just that: a dislike. Ripping on churchgoers seems like it would be satisfying, but it's really pretty malicious and hurtful. I don't like church either, but there's a lot worse things people could be doing than trying to be a better person once a week.
[/font]

Look, I have nothing against religious people per se. They are fine and can't help it.   It's religion I am against. I dislike religion because of what it falsely promises and what it asks of it's followers.  It wrongly tells you that the reasons for things happening are not only in the hands of someone else, but should also be accepted because of this.  The different pains and happiness felt are caused by some invisible entity that has no problem doling out both.  Not only should you accept it but accept that god is perfectly content knowing you are going through such pains.  God is indifferent towards your pain because somehow it makes you stronger or because it's part of god's plan.  RUBBISH!  Don't doubt god, it's part of his plan.  Also, don't doubt anything else or have any wonderment!   Religion asks it's followers to somehow forget any logic and knowingly make themselves ******ed in regard to things that are obvious %+*%%%#!.  Be content with an unwavering god that refuses to evolve.  We evolved. God hasn't.  If god was a friend, you would have forgot about him after high school.  Religion was born in a time when no one knew anything.  It is the equivalent of having a toddler determine what is morally right for the rest of our days here.  It doesn't sound right, does it?  That said, if no one was introduced to religion until later in life (age of reason), there is no way religion would be as prevalent as it is. 

The promises of eternal happiness is like some Make-a-Wish foundation promise, only Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't visit you in the hospital and a puppy doesn't lick your face.  It's ridiculous.  Consolations that are false aren't any different than lies. 

my parents are hindu

they know i dont practice or believe in any of it. they know my view on religion

my parents are hindu

they know i dont practice or believe in any of it. they know my view on religion

I see what you're saying, and I share a lot of the same views. But those are our opinions as non-believers... getting all worked up over someone else's religious affiliation is futile. As you must know, churches like Catholicism are so established and wealthy that they will never, ever go away. I wish they would, but they won't. So why are you beating yourself up over it?

Also, all of the things you're saying about the afterlife or the possibility of a god are just as unfounded as the religious claims that you despise. Just like some people can't prove there is a god... you can't prove that there isn't one. Who knows? My guess is that we'll find out when and only when we pass away. The driving force behind our existence is probably something so transcendant and crazy and unexpected that we can't even comprehend it.

Side note: I attended church today for the first time in years. My grandparents are Catholic and I visited them for the first time in 6 months... they're both 86 years old and they loved it that I accompanied them. I actually liked going - I didn't like the mass (and the priest's homily was so conservative and monotonous), but it felt so good to spend time with my grandparents doing something that they really do enjoy. For older people, religion gives them so much comfort. It also gives them something to do, something to be a part of. After hating religion and thinking it does nothing but deceive and hurt people, I really saw the positive effects of it today.

And you never know... if you or I were facing an impending death, maybe we would also turn to God. All I know is that my grandparents will die happy and hopeful... and that's a good thing.

I see what you're saying, and I share a lot of the same views. But those are our opinions as non-believers... getting all worked up over someone else's religious affiliation is futile. As you must know, churches like Catholicism are so established and wealthy that they will never, ever go away. I wish they would, but they won't. So why are you beating yourself up over it?

Also, all of the things you're saying about the afterlife or the possibility of a god are just as unfounded as the religious claims that you despise. Just like some people can't prove there is a god... you can't prove that there isn't one. Who knows? My guess is that we'll find out when and only when we pass away. The driving force behind our existence is probably something so transcendant and crazy and unexpected that we can't even comprehend it.

Side note: I attended church today for the first time in years. My grandparents are Catholic and I visited them for the first time in 6 months... they're both 86 years old and they loved it that I accompanied them. I actually liked going - I didn't like the mass (and the priest's homily was so conservative and monotonous), but it felt so good to spend time with my grandparents doing something that they really do enjoy. For older people, religion gives them so much comfort. It also gives them something to do, something to be a part of. After hating religion and thinking it does nothing but deceive and hurt people, I really saw the positive effects of it today.

And you never know... if you or I were facing an impending death, maybe we would also turn to God. All I know is that my grandparents will die happy and hopeful... and that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom