Toronto Raptors Off-Season Post: Home of the Red, White, and BLACK

indifferent.gif
Clutch
the hell you stonefacing for? dude played like a 3 year old girl this past season.

not exactly marketable or a cause of huge popularity gain.

bargs isnt even going to ever be an all star nevermind hof.

smh, no draft choices this year.

JO averaged 13 and 6 last season, (most likely less this year) there was no one in that range who was going to be able to average that at some point in theircareer?

that's some bs. im tired of waiting until, such and such year fa's.

the really big time fa's almost never jump ship anyway.

feels like this team is always on the verge of somethin , then they mess it up.

just going around n circles.

2d297iv.jpg

Franchise and JPZ, I see you.

Its just that were not used to risks being taken in the history of the Raptors...

I mean, we thought Hafa was the PF to accomodate Bosh...
laugh.gif

JO averaged 13 and 6 last season, (most likely less this year) there was no one in that range who was going to be able to average that at some point in their career?
He played through intense pain...what on $%#*%%@ earth makes you think he'll average less?

It's a gamble but he had no other choice.

I honestly dont know why theres so much hate for JO. Nobody knows just where his knees are today, why not give him the benefit of the doubt that he'llrehab and be healthy again? If JO can even average a 15-17ppg and 6-8rpg thats still a LOT more of an interior production than what we had last year. He'llbe a big defensive presence, theres no doubt he'll crash the boards, go for his blocks, and play physical on other bigs.

JO is also gonna bring that leadership, tough mentality on court, and composure.

jose
parker/moon
bargnani
bosh
o'neal

i dont know what some of you guys think toronto would have been better off with the 17th pick. There hasnt been that many great pick ups from the 17th in thepast couple years and even if you guys bring up names such as sean and shawne williams from the previous two drafts and even danny granger which did turn outto be a good pick but for the most part 17th is a hit or miss.

i say wait til BC is finished some of you clearly think you can do better which most obviously dont know the circumstances. What did u guys expect? a barondavis? a Shawn marion? im sure bc has looked at every possible offer without taking away the main pieces of the team.

lets just give BC some time im sure he'll end up with a late first round draft pick.

So now that the Raps are spending so much money on Jermaine, is there enough money for Calderon and a scorer?

Originally Posted by dland24

So now that the Raps are spending so much money on Jermaine, is there enough money for Calderon and a scorer?

Calderon: Yes

Scorer: Whats scorer?

The only way were getting help on the perimeter is through the drat unless BC can trade back in I think were done.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

The only way were getting help on the perimeter is through the drat unless BC can trade back in I think were done.
The scorer you need to become a good team.

The scorer you need to become a good team.
We let Delfino walk, and let Kapono step in and play major minutes.
Not that he is a slasher. Courtney Lee would have been a good fit for us.

I think it may turn out to be a good move, but again I am not 100% sure.

It all depends on Jermaine's knees.

When Bargnani gives his HOF of fame speech I will laugh at you all.
pimp.gif

Record this for further reference.

If Bargnani makes the HOF, I will commit suicide.

Originally Posted by Apollo XXXIII

When Bargnani gives his HOF of fame speech I will laugh at you all.
pimp.gif

Record this for further reference.

If Bargnani makes the HOF, I will commit suicide.
roll.gif

Dually noted.
laugh.gif

Sig Check FTW

laugh.gif

I still hate this trade. I just do not like the fact a frail $@$ motha %@#%%! in Jermaine O'neal is coming here.

Dude is like porcelain. One nudge and he shatters.

Im glad we got rid of TJ.
smile.gif

but Im not so sure if im comfortable with JO yet. ehh I guess well see how the season plays out
Bargnani better be working on his game this offseason, Im expecting a lot better this fall. Otherwise, he was just a waste of a #1 draft pick. sigh. I thinkthe raps are cursed sometimes.

Article I got from yahoo, pretty much sums it all up.

TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors needed to get rid of point guard T.J. Ford, and they needed to get serious talent back. But T.J. is flawed, so any talent would be flawed. No matter what, it was going to be a risk.

Now, it looks like the Raptors may be taking such a risk. On Wednesday night, Ford was on his way to Indiana for a physical, which could pave the way for a trade for six-time all-star Jermaine O'Neal. The Raptors would also send Rasho Nesterovic, the No. 17 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, and salary-cap ballast to Indiana.

Of course, between O'Neal's knee issues and Ford's history of spinal injuries, this could all yet fall apart. The Raptors resolutely refused to confirm that a deal had been agreed to in principle, and even if it is, it can't be officially consummated until July 1, anyway. General manager Bryan Colangelo, in an afternoon update, said that "four or five" trades remained in play.

Like Ford, O'Neal has problems. At 29, he's got knee and leg problems which have caused him to miss 132 games over the past four years. In fairness, 15 of those games came because O'Neal delivered one of the best punches in NBA history, to the jaw of an on-court bozo during the infamous 2004 brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

He's got shooting problems. O'Neal has shot 45.2% or worse in four of his last five partial seasons, which for a 6-foot-11, 260-pound big man is pretty abysmal. He's got salary problems. Or rather, whatever team is paying him has salary problems, because it has to pay him US$44-million over the next two seasons. To put that in perspective, O'Neal would command over a third of Toronto's salary cap through 2010.

He's got leadership problems, or at least some NBA people think he does. Hey, you try to lead a would-be contender that includes Ron Artest.

But despite all of that, the Raptors seem willing to roll the dice, because as one member of the organization puts it, "It's a star's league." And O'Neal, for all his flaws, has been a star. The last time O'Neal played a full season, he was second team All-NBA. Of course, the last time O'Neal played a full season, George W. Bush was a one-term President. So get ready for the liberal use of the qualifier, 'When healthy.'

When healthy, O'Neal is a 20-10 guy who can command a double-team and who gets to the free-throw line, which most of the Raptors do not.

When healthy, O'Neal is an outstanding and underrated defender - he has averaged between 2.1 and 2.6 blocked shots per game over the past eight seasons, and is annually among the league leaders in charges drawn per game. That combination is hard to find.

When healthy, Jermaine O'Neal is a star. A secondary star, but a star.

Does he remain one? Maybe. If he blends with Bosh, despite the fact they are both natural power forwards. If he can accept not being a franchise's cornerstone anymore. If he passes. If he plays.

But whatever his drawbacks, the Raptors had to swing for the fences to get any better.

Worst-case scenario: O'Neal is done, but in the 2009-10 season he is a US$23-million expiring contract/trade chip to be bartered before the most anticipated free-agent class in league history, which could theoretically include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Kobe Bryant, Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili, Carlos Boozer, Michael Jordan, Jesus, Pele, and Tiger Woods, or thereabouts. Even if he isn't dealt, O'Neal's deal comes off the cap in time to re-sign Bosh, and for some shopping.

Best-case scenario: O'Neal is reborn, fortifies the interior defence, and combines with Bosh to give the Raptors two 20-point big men, surrounded by a re-signed Jose Calderon and shooters. Former No. 1 pick Andrea Bargnani, freed from some pressure, comes off the bench. The Raptors aren't perfect, or even title contenders. But the Raptors get better.

"You're always looking for an impact player, sure," said Colangelo yesterday, before the trade was done. "Interestingly, the depth and quality of play, particularly at the point guard position, was our greatest strength, and perhaps the depth at that position in particular and maybe with the rest of the roster became a little bit of an Achilles' heel, trying to keep everyone happy ... it was tough for players to find a consistency.

"So we're now in a situation where we're looking for the quality pieces, to hone our roster a little bit, so we can make some progress that way."

They've got a quality piece. We'll see if it holds together, and how well it fits.

Back
Top Bottom