Uber Driver killed by 13 and 15 yr old in DC

parents can be held accountable as accessories, I surely can want both to be held accountable to some degree, is not either punish the kids or punish the parents in charge of the kids....if that was my blood they took, I’d want them both to be held accountable.
How are they accessories though? Did they help them plan the carjacking, did they buy the taser?

I know what you are saying, but I am saying it makes no sense.

In that case you are not looking for justice, you are looking for vengeance

You can't say that teenagers should be viewed as though are fully functional adults, and get punished as if they were, in the harshest way possible. Then argue that somehow it is the parent's fault this happened.

So age should not matter when determining the punishment for teenagers. Then it should matter to hold the parents responsible?

Last edited:
How are they accessories though? Did they help them plan the carjacking, did they buy the taser?

I know what you are saying, but I am saying it makes no sense

You can't say that teenagers should be viewed as though are fully functional adults, and get punished as if they were, in the harshest way possible. Then argue that somehow it is the parent's fault this happened.

So age should not matter when determining the punishment for teenagers. Then it should matter to hold the parents responsible?

In that case you are not looking for justice, you are looking for vengeance

fair point, I’d def want vengeance...because to me justice wouldn’t be me losing my father and the killers getting to live their adult lives free....so yes, holding the parents accountable as well if they were found to be negligent at least with the 13 year old would be easier to swallow for me....even then, in the end I have to deal with the trauma of senselessly losing a loved one who did nothing wrong to lose his life....dudes in here worried about the kids and their parents are focused on the wrong group of people...God only knows the pain and anger of the victims family.

You are better than this man.

1. I like how you simplified the crime as, "to end a delivery drivers life while on the job?"
It was an "armed ROBBERY." The intent was to acquire goods. The intent wasn't to kill because they didn't even kill using the "weapon" they brought to the crime scene.

2. I know you know this but since you asked:

Daily chart - The stark relationship between income inequality and crime | Graphic detail | The Economist

Im aware that crime happens more frequently among those who are socioeconomically disadvantaged.

I’m asking how we know that these two girls were born into a situation that they felt like they had no choice but to commit armed robbery of an Uber driver?

and yes I’m simplifying the armed robbery as ending the drivers life, because that’s what happened. He doesn’t die if they aren’t armed, I don’t care that the weapon wasn’t used.

To put things into perspective about parents being “accessories” parents are fined if a kid doesn’t go to school a certain amount of days. Of course this isn’t a 1-1 comparison, just saying there are laws in play in which parents are responsible for something they may not have control over

To put things into perspective about parents being “accessories” parents are fined if a kid doesn’t go to school a certain amount of days. Of course this isn’t a 1-1 comparison, just saying there are laws in play in which parents are responsible for something they may not have control over

How are people not understanding this is baffling...

Yea but nobody rejected the idea of the parents being fined.

People rejected the idea of parents being locked up.

If his initial post claimed the parents should be fined, I doubt there would have been any pushback.

Crazy freak scenario, you are a great parent...you have a weapon in your home for protection...is liscenced, you have a slip up and forget to lock it up somehow, your 11year old is having 3 other kids over, somehow they get a hold of the gun and your kid shoots the other kids and kills them all, I know extreme, but in a case like this, someone has to be held accountable...no? Far fetched for you as the parent to catch the blame? And this would more than likely be labeled a freak accident product of some level of negligence by the parent involved of course.

min this case there was NOTHING accidental about it....why is this even a debate 🤣

Crazy freak scenario, you are a great parent...you have a weapon in your home for protection...is liscenced, you have a slip up and forget to lock it up somehow, your 11year old is having 3 other kids over, somehow they get a hold of the gun and your kid shoots the other kids and kills them all, I know extreme, but in a case like this, someone has to be held accountable...no? Far fetched for you as the parent to catch the blame? And this would more than likely be labeled a freak accident product of some level of negligence by the parent involved of course.

min this case there was NOTHING accidental about it....why is this even a debate 🤣

That would be why you would be held responsible.

Nice try though.

That would be why you would be held responsible.

Nice try though.

It’s negligence none the less, or do you consider parents having a child who’s already been arrested at 13 and not done anything to turn her life around, NOT negligence? Once again we don’t know if they did or didn’t do anything, but once again I said is worth looking into and if they in fact didn’t do Jack they should be charged.

It’s negligence none the less, or do you consider parents having a child who’s already been arrested at 13 and not done anything to turn her life around, NOT negligence? Once again we don’t know if they did or didn’t do anything, but once again I said is worth looking into and if they in fact didn’t do Jack they should be charged.

I am simply saying the example you used was a bad one.

Nothing further.

Damn we’ve reached the point of the thread where we’re writing negligent parent fan fiction, huh?

Fiction? Crap has like this HAS happened....happens every year and in some cases a parent that very well could have been great to his kid but made the worst mistake possible ends up with his kid in a body bag and him in prison charged with manslaughter for his own child.....I don’t see how some of this sake logic can’t be applied to this event here.

I am simply saying the example you used was a bad one.

Nothing further.

How is it a bad comparison? We are talking about parental negligence that terminated in a death....all the same ****....if this 13 year old can’t really get a substantial punishment due to the laws and she’ll be out to carry the rest of her life as an adult, look to see if her parents were negligent with her supervision after her first encounter with the law and if that’s the case, CHARGE THEM....is simple.

They'll probably get charged and sentenced as youthful offenders and will be in some type of juvenile rehabilitation locked facility until they're 18-21 (depending on the state). My guess.

13 and 15 year olds ain't seeing crazy adult sentences unless they're in a screwed up state like FL or TX, although the 15 year old should be a little more shook.

How is it a bad comparison? We are talking about parental negligence that terminated in a death....all the same ****....if this 13 year old can’t really get a substantial punishment due to the laws and she’ll be out to carry the rest of her life as an adult, look to see if her parents were negligent with her supervision after her first encounter with the law and if that’s the case, CHARGE THEM....is simple.

There is clear cut negligence in the gun situation. That can't be disputed. The parent LEFT the gun in a position for the child to access it. There is no debating that.

In the CarJacking situation, "negligence" is up for interpretation. Someone has to use their own discretion to determine if/how negligent the parent was. Not to mention, whoever is using that discretion only has access to AVAILABLE evidence.

So again, the gun example doesn't apply to THIS situation.

You are responsible for them as far as providing food/water/clothing/shelter, sure.

But as far as the parents being CHARGED for a crime the kids committed, the legal system doesn't work that way. (Which was what was mentioned earlier.)

Yeah most that would probably happen is the family of the deceased could come after the parent(s) of the offenders civilly for wrongful death or something like that.

It's only criminal in nature if the parents were involved with the crime.

Hey can we circle back around to these questions since no one has addressed them since I posted them over 48 hours ago?

For those who think these kids deserve a life sentence: do you find it unsettling that the United States stands alone as the only nation that sentences people to life in prison without the chance of parole for crimes they committed before the age of 18? Does the fact that the United States has the highest prison population per capita out of any nation despite scoring lower on societal health indexes in comparison to nations that are seemingly more lenient/permissive give you pause in your consideration of how we handle criminals?

Yeah most that would probably happen is the family of the deceased could come after the parent(s) of the offenders civilly for wrongful death or something like that.

It's only criminal in nature if the parents were involved with the crime.

They aren’t pursuing any civil case. They’re also not “suing DC” as someone mentioned earlier at some point. Don’t know where tf that came from.

They aren’t pursuing any civil case. They’re also not “suing DC” as someone mentioned earlier at some point. Don’t know where tf that came from.

Didn't say they were doing either.

My comment was in regards to the aforementioned criminal culpability of the parents.

Hey can we circle back around to these questions since no one has addressed them since I posted them over 48 hours ago?

It is unsettling.

There was a ruling in a supreme court case here in MA in 2014 that determined that the imposition of a life without parole sentence for juveniles is unconstitutional (via the 8th Cruel & Unusual). I think the precedent was Miller v. Alabama.

So now the max sentence is 2nd degree life for a juvenile, meaning they can begin to get parole hearings after serving 25 years (minus good time) and juveniles who had already been sentenced to life without parole immediately began getting parole hearings if they served the minimum time required to be eligible for one.

Well you are the one that spun what I said and took away ALL context of my statement.

Please refer to the context of my statement.

Again, I didn't know we were FORCED to ONLY feel sorry for one of the parties involved in this tragedy.

I didn't know that we weren't allowed to feel bad for these girls that they felt the need to rob this man.

But apparently we must pick A (one) side here.

Niketalk, the last of Black and White.

So do you feel that way for all people who commit crime? Just these girls?

Back
Top Bottom