Under Armour = flabby & sick VOL. NY times

To me they don't market curry's shoes well. They just release with no build up. You don't see any buzz about them. So they did this to themselves.

It's not an easy fix obviously they are a huge brand. But i lived in the baltimore area most of my life and own a lot of under Armour work out gear. I worked in Harbor East for a few years and the Brand House store is right there. So UA was plentiful in Bmore and could be had for cheap at their outlets / sales.

All that being said. I agree with people in here about they expanded too fast without getting a good foothold on a certain industry. IMO they had the market of base layer / compression gear with their Heat Gear and Cold Gear line when they originally made a name for themselves. But as time went on and other competitors came to market and they expanded their products declined.

I still work out in mostly under armor just based on price point but i can tell you they aren't the best performance wise. I have tried Reebok , Adidas, Lulu, Nike and a bunch of generics (eastbay , amazon, target brand etc) and would say UA is middle of the road. And this is all just about performance work out clothes. A whole different conversation about athliesure / sneaker culture / fashion .

Nike is a marketing machine. They always come out the gate with either good or bad strategies and still move units. Peep the zoom fly 4% creating controversy within the running world, and people are still buying them up with the negative stigma that they help you "cheat".

I wonder how much Durant/Nike landing in the Bay Area impacted the momentum Curry/UA had.

wonder how much of a difference it would've made had UA won the bid to get KD rather than him resigning with Nike

Didn’t the first 2-3 curry sigs sell well? If a durant ua sig looked good then they could’ve sold ok.

Under Armour makes ugly shoes and apparel. Period. I've literally never seen anyone hoop in Under Armour shoes. Like the article says, UA isn't cool. You can't wear their shoes casually.

They've had Steph Curry, a player whose defined an era, ushered in the 3 pt shooting era, and botched the marketing campaign and made ugly shoes.

UA is MAGA wear. They focus more on hunting and fishing and military boot licking than they do cool athleisure. To he** with them

Worked retail for UA for 4 years.
Majority demographic is the MAGA type. Had people come into the store wearing the hats sometimes (not common in Cali).
Honestly, the way they ran everything and the rationale for their decision making baffled me constantly. Corporate seemed like it was just a bunch of college bro's that thought they knew it all. Kevin Plank came off as super into himself and thought he was a godlike figure from what I read/heard.
On top of that, you could always tell they were trying way too hard to be cool and it came off as corny and wack most the time.

Left the retail scene entirely when I was done there and about a year and a half after I left my old manager was in my DM's trying to get me to come back and work for them :lol:. Told her no and a couple months later she did it again. She was super All Lives Matter, felt good telling her I'm never going to come back

Last edited:
To be fair, Nike had a 32 year head start on UA while adidas had a 71 year head start. While they'll never dethrone Nike, with more time I think we'll see UA turn things around.

To be fair, Nike had a 32 year head start on UA while adidas had a 71 year head start. While they'll never dethrone Nike, with more time I think we'll see UA turn things around.
i don't see it
their logo and name is trash

but they temporarily beat Adidas....

Back
Top Bottom