*Unguarded*-The story of Chris Herren. ESPN TONIGHT 8 PM

Originally Posted by The Stoic Paisano

Originally Posted by Strictlyhainan

Best 30 for 30.
Enh.
thrill-hill-o.gif

The Two Escobars was my all-time favorite....

C's welcomed him back with open arms a few years ago....treated him and his son VERY well.  In his book (didn't watch the 30 for 30 yet, but I will when I go home today), he said how guys like Stephon Marbury, Paul Pierce, Garnett went out of their way to embrace him. 

It's so funny how people are quick to judge some of these NBA cats, but in actuality some show great acts of humility towards others...

^^^yeah for real the 2 escabars almost had me crying in tears
im still sayng the fool that killed the soccer player escabar deserve the death penalty

Another great doc. Really liked the way they jumped to different locations Herren was speaking at and telling the same story.

The best thing ESPN did (or better yet Bill Simmons convinced ESPN to do) was to stay out of the way. They provided cash and film footage for these filmmakers and said "have at it." Then they present in with minimal commercial breaks and no BS or crap. And this 30 for 30 series rarely disappoints. I look forward to many more.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Another great doc. Really liked the way they jumped to different locations Herren was speaking at and telling the same story.

The best thing ESPN did (or better yet Bill Simmons convinced ESPN to do) was to stay out of the way. They provided cash and film footage for these filmmakers and said "have at it." Then they present in with minimal commercial breaks and no BS or crap. And this 30 for 30 series rarely disappoints. I look forward to many more.
Now all they have to do is tone down the other entertainment aspects to let these shine more.
10-15 films a year is sustainable imo.....

^ Good point. And I think they are going to do even less than that. Here is Simmons earlier this year:

According to 30 for 30 producer Bill Simmons: "We're spinning off the "30 for 30" series next year into something that will probably be called "30 for 30 Presents" or something like that... we're going to be putting out 4-5 sports docs per year on the level of the best "30 for 30" docs and getting the best filmmakers to do them. Same creative team is involved. We have some terrific ideas in the hopper."

It looks like "Roll Tide/War Eagle" November 8th is the last one of the year.

Also here was one blog I saw's wishlist for future topics, some pretty good ones in here:

The Death of Bison Dele
The Tim Donaghy gambling scandal
Rickey Henderson story
Shoes obsession / killings
"The War" - Marvin Hagler vs. Thomas Hitman Hearns 1985
The XFL
1994 Arizona State basketball betting scandal
Nation's oldest high school football rivalry (New London vs. Norwich)
Ken Griffey Jr and Sr story
Dennis Byrd

^ Good point. And I think they are going to do even less than that. Here is Simmons earlier this year:

According to 30 for 30 producer Bill Simmons: "We're spinning off the "30 for 30" series next year into something that will probably be called "30 for 30 Presents" or something like that... we're going to be putting out 4-5 sports docs per year on the level of the best "30 for 30" docs and getting the best filmmakers to do them. Same creative team is involved. We have some terrific ideas in the hopper."

Also here was one blog I saw's wishlist for future topics, some pretty good ones in here:

The Death of Bison Dele
Rickey Henderson story
The XFL
Dennis Byrd

I'd like to see the Luke Recker story added to that....the ups/downs this dude had in a 3-5 year stretch were
eek.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

The Death of Bison Dele
Rickey Henderson story
The XFL
Dennis Byrd

I'd like to see the Luke Recker story added to that....the ups/downs this dude had in a 3-5 year stretch were
eek.gif

Ah haven't heard LR's name in a while.  

Do one on LeBron's decision and the days leading up to it.  

eek.gif

^That would be a great one. You would have to have Knight agree on being interviewed on camera though or else it wouldn't work IMO and who knows what he would agree to plus ESPN would never step on their employee Knight and make him look bad.

Or Neil Reed doc too!

this was really great, sad, but truthful.

it's crazy to see how he would do drugs and then go out and play and have solid games.

what a story, very well told

eek.gif

^That would be a great one. You would have to have Knight agree on being interviewed on camera though or else it wouldn't work IMO and who knows what he would agree to plus ESPN would never step on their employee Knight and make him look bad.

Or Neil Reed doc too!

YES!!!!!

Having 2 close friends friends walk the same path as Herren, one ending up sober with a wfie and kid and the other doing 7 years for Assault & Battery/B&E, certainly made this story hit home. Also having literally grown up watching him, going to his HS & AAU games, being a fan gave me a certain appreciation. Interested to see how the story ends for both Herren and my buddies because basically that %$*! is going to chase you until the man upstairs comes calling.

Griffeys' doc will overtake the Colts' band doc for most corny. Believe in that.

Is there any juice to that story?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Having 2 close friends friends walk the same path as Herren, one ending up sober with a wfie and kid and the other doing 7 years for Assault & Battery/B&E, certainly made this story hit home. Also having literally grown up watching him, going to his HS & AAU games, being a fan gave me a certain appreciation. Interested to see how the story ends for both Herren and my buddies because basically that %$*! is going to chase you until the man upstairs comes calling.

The Kid is Back!
pimp.gif

but yeah, thats a Life Long battle Chris is/will be fighting

Good call on Neil Reid! As hoops crazy as Indiana is, he was villified(sp?) almost to the same extent as Steve Bartman....

I wonder if youtube has the footage of bobby Knight Choking him

30t6p3b.gif
ridiculous

Edit just looked, its there
30t6p3b.gif

tired.gif

Griffeys' doc will overtake the Colts' band doc for most corny. Believe in that.

Is there any juice to that story?

I think there is. Especially if it is researched and presented correctly.

Father and son rarely got along when Ken was growing up and Junior even admitted to attempting suicide (downed pills) because of the baseball pressure and the pressure at home. We know the rest of the story with being teammates and now they are also best friends they say.

Just thought of a few more

1) Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan story

2) Can't remember the exact article, but does anyone remember the blurb about the guy whose life ended after the T-Mac dunk in AAU? Obviously he didn't due because of the dunk, but everything in his life went sour afterwards....

3) Mike Danton/Sheldon Kennedy/Theo Fleury stories (molestation while playing junior hockey and how it ruined their lives)

2) Can't remember the exact article, but does anyone remember the blurb about the guy whose life ended after the T-Mac dunk in AAU? Obviously he didn't due because of the dunk, but everything in his life went sour afterwards....

3) Mike Danton/Sheldon Kennedy/Theo Fleury stories (molestation while playing junior hockey and how it ruined their lives)
This?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3471118

The Death of Bison Dele
Rickey Henderson story
The XFL
Dennis Byrd

That one could be great.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

This?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3471118

That's EXACTLY it!  Thanks for putting that up....

No problem, I recalled reading it on ESPN a while back and vividly recalled what you were describing.

Back
Top Bottom