*Unguarded*-The story of Chris Herren. ESPN TONIGHT 8 PM

Grew up watching that Fresno St team so glad to see Chris get his life back in order. I'm always torn between two different point of views when hearing these type of stories...part of me feels like here's a person with extraordinary talent and it all just basically went to waste, and then the other part of me feels like people like Chris are victims to the demons of substance abuse and I just can't help but to feel bad them. I guess the difference is that with Chris, his personality made him more likable so I think the public sides more with the victim angle as opposed to a guy like Mike Beasley who's a nut so most of us don't care as much for him personally and focus more on his basketball talent...but it could also be be a white/black thing 
ohwell.gif

I just say its best 30 for 30 since it about just 1 person. Not the university, team, season or etc its strictly what he went through. Just my 2 cents.

I've never heard of that Bob Knight Neil Reed story before mentioning it here. That #@+% is terrible and the video is disgusting

I don't care how legendary Knight might have been or how he was regarded by some players but he should've been rocked

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I don't recall seeing him play while I was of an understanding basketball mind, but I remember when he was in Fresno, Athlon Sports called him a "West Coast Jason Williams." So since then I wanted to see him PLAY play. Never did though.
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa...

whoa...

west cost j-dub? is this real life?

i need some video pronto...

missed the doc, and want to see how the homey got down...

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

GUNNA GET IT wrote:
Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Having 2 close friends friends walk the same path as Herren, one ending up sober with a wfie and kid and the other doing 7 years for Assault & Battery/B&E, certainly made this story hit home. Also having literally grown up watching him, going to his HS & AAU games, being a fan gave me a certain appreciation. Interested to see how the story ends for both Herren and my buddies because basically that %$*! is going to chase you until the man upstairs comes calling.

The Kid is Back!
pimp.gif

but yeah, thats a Life Long battle Chris is/will be fighting

see this is the thing that makes me wanna shed a tear...this guy has to live with the pain of pissing a opportunity million lil kids dream of everyday.
frown.gif

now that's a demon there...but life is such a beautiful thing, it always has a way of humbling people.

great doc. i wish i can find a woman like his wife. she's the perfect example of a ride or die chick

KingJay718:
Do one on LeBron's decision and the days leading up to it.
Agreed. The lack of media coverage for that was borderline neglectful.

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I wonder if youtube has the footage of bobby Knight Choking him

30t6p3b.gif
ridiculous

Edit just looked, its there
30t6p3b.gif

tired.gif
nerd.gif

search neil reed choked by bobby knight.

you can even check the cnn/si articles. even have Knight denying it, and other players lying for Knight. real disgusting stuff

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

3) Mike Danton/Sheldon Kennedy/Theo Fleury stories (molestation while playing junior hockey and how it ruined their lives)

I would love to see it but that would be hard to watch.

A few I could sit down and watch:

Collusion in baseball throughout the years.
Marge Schott.
Duke Lacrosse.
Operation Slapshot.
1999 SCF's.

After watching the doc on DVR I kinda went through several emotions which after only watching the story TV I can imagine must be worst for Chris's family & friends. I went from thinking he was a weak minded fool who wasted his talent & surrounded himself with enablers (that story of scoring in Celtics warmups pregame)....then him telling about missing picking up his family from the airport/sleeping behind a store & thinking about being homeless made me feel sorry for how far he'd fallen...then to eventually see the work he's doing now won me over. But at the same time I kinda dont want to be in his corner because a relapse would be so disappointing. Stuff those who know addicts feel everyday.

Just finished watching it on DVR...

I was blown away by how good everything was edited and how well the whole film flowed. It's funny...I know his story. I grew up watching him...I read his book over the summer. However, I was on the edge of my seat and I was totally engrossed in this project.

I'm so glad he's 3 years clean. You just never know if he'll slip up and speaking about his ups/downs is part of the recovery process. His wife....WOW. A truly amazing person. A truly TOLERANT person. I got a lil' choked up towards the end of the film seeing the effect he had on the kids/adults that listened to him speak as well as watching his son cherish the tokens. His story should serve as a cautionary tale of how your friends can be the downfall of a promising life.

The one thing I wish the film got in to was how his "boys" feel to this day. I wonder if there is any guilt or remorse on their part in not wanting to steer him clear of drugs/alcohol. They served as enablers.
30t6p3b.gif

After watching the documentary, I now have that as my favorite in the 30 for 30 series.

Again, I'm so happy that he's cleaned himself up....for the sake of his family, I hope it's for real this time.

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

Was anyone else bothered by the constant Under Armor product placement?

At the Brandon Jennings camp where he was speaking?  I didn't notice it anywhere else but there....

I was blown away by how good everything was edited and how well the whole film flowed. It's funny...I know his story. I grew up watching him...I read his book over the summer. However, I was on the edge of my seat and I was totally engrossed in this project.

I'm so glad he's 3 years clean. You just never know if he'll slip up and speaking about his ups/downs is part of the recovery process. His wife....WOW. A truly amazing person. A truly TOLERANT person. I got a lil' choked up towards the end of the film seeing the effect he had on the kids/adults that listened to him speak as well as watching his son cherish the tokens. His story should serve as a cautionary tale of how your friends can be the downfall of a promising life.

The one thing I wish the film got in to was how his "boys" feel to this day. I wonder if there is any guilt or remorse on their part in not wanting to steer him clear of drugs/alcohol. They served as enablers.
30t6p3b.gif

After watching the documentary, I now have that as my favorite in the 30 for 30 series.

Again, I'm so happy that he's cleaned himself up....for the sake of his family, I hope it's for real this time.

Summed up everything I wanted to say.

I remember watching that Fresno squad... I remember him with Denver... I know his story... But to see it presented visually was just a bit more than I expected... I got teary eyed a couple of times no lie.  Definitely the best espn film I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

30t6p3b.gif

Summed up everything I wanted to say.

I remember watching that Fresno squad... I remember him with Denver... I know his story... But to see it presented visually was just a bit more than I expected... I got teary eyed a couple of times no lie.  Definitely the best espn film I've ever seen.

Cake, someone is watching out for this man....you gotta think about the chances we get in life.  Sometimes all you get is one...maaaaybe, two and that's it.  Granted, he's done a lot of it to himself....but how many times has he been to hell and back?  Unbelievable.  And to think he STILL has his family in his corner.  He'll always be an addict.  I think he realizes this.  However, if he ever is teetering on the fine line between going back to drugs and staying clean, I hope he takes a real good look at his 3 BEAUTIFUL kids and realizes what he has in life.  I do believe he has some sort of "gift."  Just look at the effect he had on Tark, those HSers, the other people in rehab, etc...those were some genuine hugs/tears.  As much as he's spreading the word of his troubles, he has a lot of people in his corner pulling for him.  Like I said before...I just hope he can stay clean. 

You know its real when you can bring soiders to tears
30t6p3b.gif

That man's wife was a god send, any normal woman would've been left him after the airport situation let alone the birth of their third child.

Yeah you're right about his ability to touch people, can't count the amount of people who broke down after hearing him or talking about him.

Back
Top Bottom