USC Sanctions Released..Vol. No BCS For Them

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

smh nuckleheads is used to keep me from tyoing the N word ... ur reading too much into it

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by YoungBuck32

2 years? 
indifferent.gif

I think anyone that followed our probation era can tell you the effects of it didn't just last 2 years. We went from a program that was in the national title hunt EVERY year to being a contender in a weakened Big East conference who got exposed during our OOC play. Our record during that period may look decent with only 3 or 4 losses in most of the years, but the actual losses that we incurred show the bigger picture. We were a totally different program due to the sanctions. We were losing to FSU by 30+ point for 3 straight years and went on a 5 year losing streak to them. Losing by nearly 30 points to ECU? 

Also you need to look back at what happened to recruiting during those years. With probation hanging over our heads top recruits, especially the ones in South Florida did NOT want to come to Miami. FSU took whoever they wanted during that period and UF had the opportunity to cherry pick the area if Spurrier wasn't allergic to South Florida. We had to settle for what may people considered at the time as 2-3 star players.

You're right about people saying the same things when Butch Davis came along and not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Though what has Lane Kiffin done to get the benefit of the doubt? The only people who don't think the sanctions are going to hurt are mostly USC fans which this post is a perfect example of.

Butch came through and proved his eye for talent was the best to ever grace college football and this ability was what saved us from being in an even deeper hole. Unless Lane Kiffin has shown this ability, I don't see how what Butch Davis did at Miami should be what is expected of at USC. In addition some of the things Butch was able to take advantage of is no longer available and it's arguable USC has an even more uphill climb. Butch and our administration (Paul Dee and his law background also played a big part that doesn't get mentioned enough) ended up being the absolute PERFECT group to face probation. Miami was the exception to the effects of sanctions of this level, not the norm. Even then you're underplaying how much of an effect it still had on our program.

I'm sure sanctions didn't help, but did you expect Miami to be a National Title contender forever?

It doesn't happen.  Runs of dominance happen all the time in college football, they also end.

Nebraska isn't what it was in the 90's and they never got sanctioned.

USC went through a rough patch in the 90's and that was without sanctions.

I say it took Miami 2 years to recover, because they only really had on awful year where you can say they "fell off".

Nobody runs the table in college football forever.

Miami had a great run in the 80's and early 90's, it wasn't going to last forever.  Sanctions didn't help, but they rebounded well.

Miami went 8-3 in Butch Davis' first year, and that was before they got hit with sanctions.

laugh.gif
Dude really said it took Miami 2 years. What???? You're just looking at the raw record. Impact went WELL beyond that...

And as YoungBuck alluded too earlier..Butch was a SLY and creative cat. Butch pulled certains stunts to by-pass number issues that are now completly disallowed by the NCAA today(if you're on probation).

Things like recruiting Santana Moss, having him come thru on a track scholarship and IMMEDIATELY switching him over to football THAT year. You can no longer do this. The college football landscape in general has really changed since the mid 90's.

And Lane Kiffin has like a sub.500 record as a head football coach...So he's certainly no messiah. Butch was an absolute messiah when it came recruiting at Miami. His eye for hidden gems was ridiculous. Ed Reed was a 2 star DB prospect with only one other D-1 offer outside Miami. That being Tulane....

This is going to hurt for a decent period of time. THIRTY schollys is alot, man. 

Currently reading the full report and so far I have no idea how the NCAA is going to make this sanction stick.  There are a LOT of assumptions made on the part of NCAA.  They basically take Lloyd Lake's word as gold.
I'm starting to think more and more, they came down harsh to make the public happy, knowing it will be appealed by SC.

The sanctions relative to allegations are COMPLETELY disproportionate - way too harsh.  

Kal Ripped Ken wrote:
dude acting like USC is harvard or something...
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

Hook em #$@!%
Nobody is saying anything to that nature, quit talking out of your $%#. I am not on a high horse of any type; I simply represent my school with the utmost pride.

If the CEO of BP was from USC, my dude firstborn would find a way to put a positive spin on the oil spill.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

If the CEO of BP was from USC, my dude firstborn would find a way to put a positive spin on the oil spill.
laugh.gif
You're a damn fool DoubleJs
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Noboby logged off, I actually have a career fellas and I can't spend all my time on here like back in the days. Don't know why you guys post the
laugh.gif

I am living beyond comfortable and have my Alma Mater to thank for that, which is why I will always suport them. There are more actual Trojans here (members who actually attend or graduated) than fans/stans. Most people that take shots at SC are purely from a point of jealousy.
ahhhh the i'm mad so ima play the "i'm doing this and that" statement 
laugh.gif
 it never fails 

Dude really said it took Miami 2 years. What???? You're just looking at the raw record. Impact went WELL beyond that...
laugh.gif

Ya'll really expected Miami to be on top forever
laugh.gif

When Dennis Erickson bounced it was already going towards rebuilding.  Should I blame last year performance on the impact of sanctions
laugh.gif

Every dominant team eventually has down years.  Miami's down years was expedited by the sanctions, and even then they only had ONE losing season.  Yes, I know they were getting spanked by FSU, yes they lost to ECU.  However, in 1998 they did manage to pull a huge upset against UCLA.

Did Miami not have NFL talent on those squads?  As far as I know, Edgerrin James ran all over UCLA to dash their Fiesta/Title hopes.

It also happened to be a time where FSU was dominant and Miami was at a downturn.

How is it 6 years?

They got slapped after the 1995....

1996 (One season)
1997 (two seasons)
1998 (three seasons)
1999 (four seasons)
2000 National Title

That is some impact right there boy, I tell ya
laugh.gif

Plus, many of you are acting as if this isn't going to be appealed.  Sanctions are always appealed.  The penalties are too harsh considering it only involves 2 players.

Ohio State never returned their title and they played with an "uneligible" Freshman
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Noboby logged off, I actually have a career fellas and I can't spend all my time on here like back in the days. Don't know why you guys post the
laugh.gif

I am living beyond comfortable and have my Alma Mater to thank for that, which is why I will always suport them. There are more actual Trojans here (members who actually attend or graduated) than fans/stans. Most people that take shots at SC are purely from a point of jealousy.
ahhhh the i'm mad so ima play the "i'm doing this and that" statement 
laugh.gif
 it never fails 
The ******ed nter who talks out of their +%+, it never fails.

I haven't so if you could, please tell me how impossible it is. Very impossible? Slightly? Not impossible at all?

He did it on purpose...but there was some seriousness to my question.

What has changed to make it so difficult to appeal? Is that part of the reason why the investigation/decision on sanctions seemed to take so long...the NCAA (feels it) is being more thorough and firm?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

have yall heard how impossible an appeal is now since the rules changes?
Not saying it'll happen but if there's any case that can be somewhat overturned it's this one.  These sanctions are extremely harsh considering the facts.  There is a LOT of dependence on circumstantial evidence.  I think it's reasonable to think that the 2 year ban can be reduced down to 1 year.
Stewart Mandel puts it best:

"You'd be hard-pressed to find precedent for a school hit so hard over activities by parties with no association to the university. It's not unreasonable to think it will find sympathy from the Infractions Appeal Committee, which, in 2003, overturned the second year of Michigan basketball's postseason ban despite four former players taking $616,000 from rogue booster Ed Martin. But such reversals are rare.

If anything, it sure seems the committee is trying to set a new precedent. It's holding USC responsible for the sins of not just Bush and Mayo, Ornstein and Guillory, but all the star athletes and seedy brokers everywhere whose misdeeds go unreported. They spent four years building their case in order to use it as a global deterrent.

...One thing's for certain: After keeping fans waiting in the dark for four years, the NCAA delivered a powerful resolution. But it sure seems the end result was less about the organization punishing USC than it was about flexing its muscle to the rest of the country."

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

have yall heard how impossible an appeal is now since the rules changes?
Not saying it'll happen but if there's any case that can be somewhat overturned it's this one.  These sanctions are extremely harsh considering the facts.  There is a LOT of dependence on circumstantial evidence.  I think it's reasonable to think that the 2 year ban can be reduced down to 1 year.
Stewart Mandel puts it best:

"You'd be hard-pressed to find precedent for a school hit so hard over activities by parties with no association to the university. It's not unreasonable to think it will find sympathy from the Infractions Appeal Committee, which, in 2003, overturned the second year of Michigan basketball's postseason ban despite four former players taking $616,000 from rogue booster Ed Martin. But such reversals are rare.

If anything, it sure seems the committee is trying to set a new precedent. It's holding USC responsible for the sins of not just Bush and Mayo, Ornstein and Guillory, but all the star athletes and seedy brokers everywhere whose misdeeds go unreported. They spent four years building their case in order to use it as a global deterrent.

...One thing's for certain: After keeping fans waiting in the dark for four years, the NCAA delivered a powerful resolution. But it sure seems the end result was less about the organization punishing USC than it was about flexing its muscle to the rest of the country."
I hadn't followed too closely.  Aside from your view as a U$C fan, how do you know there was no proof of association with the university/anyone within the athletic department and that it is just circumstantial evidence?  Obviously you're going to find and attach yourself to the viewpoints that feel this penalty was too harsh and should be overturned but what is the actual basis for it?

I hadn't followed too closely.  Aside from your view as a U$C fan, how do you know there was no proof of association with the university/anyone within the athletic department and that it is just circumstantial evidence?  Obviously you're going to find and attach yourself to the viewpoints that feel this penalty was too harsh and should be overturned but what is the actual basis for it?
If you have the time, I suggest that you read the 67 page report.  In the report there is no proof of association from anyone within the university.  The only person that was included was RB coach Todd McNair, and the only thing they got him for was that he knew Bush was getting benefits.

No one else was involved. 

Of course, there was involvement when it came to the Basketball team, since Tim Floyd was directly involved with giving OJ Mayo money.

However, in the Reggie Bush portion they only cite circumstantial evidence.

It's not about being a USC fan, it's all in the report that is on ESPN/SI/LA Times/Yahoo Sports front page.

Here I will help you out:

USC Report

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Dude really said it took Miami 2 years. What???? You're just looking at
the raw record. Impact went WELL beyond that...
laugh.gif

Ya'll really expected Miami to be on top forever
laugh.gif

When Dennis Erickson bounced it was already going towards rebuilding.  Should I blame last year performance on the impact of sanctions
laugh.gif

Every dominant team eventually has down years.  Miami's down years was expedited by the sanctions, and even then they only had ONE losing season.  Yes, I know they were getting spanked by FSU, yes they lost to ECU.  However, in 1998 they did manage to pull a huge upset against UCLA.

Did Miami not have NFL talent on those squads?  As far as I know, Edgerrin James ran all over UCLA to dash their Fiesta/Title hopes.

It also happened to be a time where FSU was dominant and Miami was at a downturn.

How is it 6 years?

They got slapped after the 1995....

1996 (One season)
1997 (two seasons)
1998 (three seasons)
1999 (four seasons)
2000 National Title

That is some impact right there boy, I tell ya
laugh.gif

Plus, many of you are acting as if this isn't going to be appealed.  Sanctions are always appealed.  The penalties are too harsh considering it only involves 2 players.

Ohio State never returned their title and they played with an "uneligible" Freshman
nerd.gif

Do u realize we were playing in the garbage big east? Conference was and still is garbage. Not hard to get wins.

Y'all are going to be trying to make a comeback in a Pac16 superconference. You're out of your mind if you think your comeback is going to be in any way similar to Miami's....

Not saying it's impossible. Because SC can and will make a comeback. It's just not going to be quick and easy by any means.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0611-usc-coaches-20100611,0,1745152.story
The coaches — along with USC Athletic Director Mike Garrett — appeared at a Northern California Trojans Club function just hours after learning from the NCAA what penalties they'll be dealing with for the next few years.

Garrett wasn't at all contrite.

"As I read the decision by the NCAA," he told the group, "… I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy. They wish they all were Trojans."
eek.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom