V.2014 ITS BALLING SEASON AGAIN.....TAXES!!! Where you doing yours?

Did mine today
I feel cheated
H&R taking out close to $400 :smh:
I gotta start taking villains advice and learn to do my own

Last edited:
Did mine today
I feel cheated
H&R taking out close to $400
mean.gif

WOOOOW do your own. tax turbo walk you through it. It is so so easy. All you do is just enter in the data and it is free. Takes 10 min. <y advice to others. If you make less then I think it is 32k you can file free so use any of the online tax software. Try to do it your self, it is easy , just plug in the numbers. Then take it to hr block or wherever if you have issues which you will not

But what day did they say to expect refund?

Last edited:
Did mine today
I feel cheated
H&R taking out close to $400 :smh:
If you dont own a business there's nothing to "learn". Turbotax is almost error proof. Its so simple

Last edited:
Yup turbo tax is too easy. Been using them for atleast 5 years now. Step by step. These big tax preparers are jus takin ya money for nothin....

Most of this thread is confusing as hell. I am not trying to have another year like last year when I had to pay. Only thing that still sticks out to me and I don't get is the tax preparer told me if I make too much money without claiming dependents that it is always likely I will have to pay. That was the 1st year I've ever had to pay and I have always claimed 0 on all W2's.

Feb 5 is supposedly when my chick is gettin hers back. Can never trust the IRS and their schedule especially about giving back money LOL...I haven't even got my W-2 tho SMH...

Had my sister file mine. Getting my refund by Wednesday.
I know most tax places charge by form, so with 400, I gotta think it's not a simple 1040.
Yep HR block is notorious for charging $$$ for EIC form because they know poor people have kids and poor people get alot money back off EIC.. Funny thing HR block hires of the street

Last edited:
Most of this thread is confusing as hell. I am not trying to have another year like last year when I had to pay. Only thing that still sticks out to me and I don't get is the tax preparer told me if I make too much money without claiming dependents that it is always likely I will have to pay. That was the 1st year I've ever had to pay and I have always claimed 0 on all W2's.
LOL You should never have to pay if you claim 0. never heard of that and really it dont seem right. How much did you make roughly and how much fed taxes they take out roughly

A lil over 3,600 after the fees
It seems like all my refund amount was because of my 2 kids and eic
not really because they take a whole lot out of my check during the year
I guess that's good
$3000 of it getting added to my buy a house fund
The rest towards Disneyland trip for the kids this summer
2 kids you should have gotten more back alot. Depending on how much you made... its crazy a person who made 17k and claims 2 kids is getting back 9k easily

Feb 5 is supposedly when my chick is gettin hers back. Can never trust the IRS and their schedule especially about giving back money LOL...I haven't even got my W-2 tho SMH...
Yea remember that schedule is a projection. They had to guessitmate this year because IRS wouldnt release one. take it with a grain of rice but usually it is within 10 days for sure

Just check wheres myrefund and it will give you accurate info

http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Where's-My-Refund-It's-Quick,-Easy,-and-Secure

Last edited:

you have multiple w2's, meaning multiple employers, right?

when you start working for an employer you fill out a form called a w-4. on that form, you tell your employer information that (supposedly) will match up to your tax situation when you go to file your tax forms for that year. for example, if you are single, and live on your own, you probably put single and one... maybe in some cases single and two. this information corresponds to what you will be filing on your tax forms in the future...

you think the government "takes" money out of your pay check? naw, b. your employer voluntarily complies with what the government asks them to do... your employer goes to a big printed out book, then looks up the amount of money that they want to pay you for that period of time, let's say, $950 / week.... then goes over to the column marked "single/1" or single/2 or married/6 or head of household/5 and reads off the dollar amount associated with that information.

your employer DOES NOT CARE whether or not the information on your w-4 form is true (unless you claim "exempt")... they just want to know which column and row to look in when they look up how much to "withhold" from your paycheck in their big book.

when you have multiple employers, the system gets more complicated. Say employer A pays you 13,000/year and withholds the correct amount based on your w-4 single/2 and employer B pays you 14,000/year and withholds the correct amount based on your w-4 single/2. Both of the employers did exactly what you told them to do. the problem is...

instead of only earning 13,000 like employer A thought, or only earning 14,000 like employer B thought... you actually earned 27,000. (A+B, 13,000 + 14,000).

due to the united states progressive tax rates, somebody that earns 27,000 owes a "higher percentage" tax on their income as compared to folks that only earn 14,000 or 13,000. that means that even though your employers did exactly what you told them, you ended up putting yourself in a situation where not enough tax was withheld and you would "owe" in theory.

the w-4 form has a worksheet for you to run through that allows you to ask one employer to withhold additional money (i.e. the normal rate for single/2 and then PLUS $45 per pay period)... check out the instructions for the w-4 and in particular line 6.

This is why even though you're being "honest" with each employer, neither of your employers knows how much money you're making in "total", and thus, you're underwithheld and end up owing money.

A lil over 3,600 after the fees

It seems like all my refund amount was because of my 2 kids and eic

not really because they take a whole lot out of my check during the year

I guess that's good

$3000 of it getting added to my buy a house fund

2 kids you should have gotten more back alot. Depending on how much you made... its crazy a person who made 17k and claims 2 kids is getting back 9k easily
Hmmmmm.........interesting
I'm thinking I should have em looked over
But then again idk
I didn't get that much taken out of my checks throughout the year
Idk part of me is like I should see what's up
And another part is like I ain't trippin
But damn 9 racks could be put up for my fund instead of 3

God damn I'm pissed haven't been this mad in ages. Me and my kid's mom agreed to alternate years. She claimed her this year on the wrong year. So now I have to wait 12 weeks to get my ******g return since she has to send in an amendment and my tax guy has to re file mine. If I wanted my taxes ****** up I'd have done them myself.

This is all assuming the IRS blocks my return because we both claimed the same dependant. I really hope mine goes though and hers is blocked. Let her sort out her own dumb *** mess she created.

you have multiple w2's, meaning multiple employers, right?

when you start working for an employer you fill out a form called a w-4. on that form, you tell your employer information that (supposedly) will match up to your tax situation when you go to file your tax forms for that year. for example, if you are single, and live on your own, you probably put single and one... maybe in some cases single and two. this information corresponds to what you will be filing on your tax forms in the future...

you think the government "takes" money out of your pay check? naw, b. your employer voluntarily complies with what the government asks them to do... your employer goes to a big printed out book, then looks up the amount of money that they want to pay you for that period of time, let's say, $950 / week.... then goes over to the column marked "single/1" or single/2 or married/6 or head of household/5 and reads off the dollar amount associated with that information.

your employer DOES NOT CARE whether or not the information on your w-4 form is true (unless you claim "exempt")... they just want to know which column and row to look in when they look up how much to "withhold" from your paycheck in their big book.

when you have multiple employers, the system gets more complicated. Say employer A pays you 13,000/year and withholds the correct amount based on your w-4 single/2 and employer B pays you 14,000/year and withholds the correct amount based on your w-4 single/2. Both of the employers did exactly what you told them to do. the problem is...

instead of only earning 13,000 like employer A thought, or only earning 14,000 like employer B thought... you actually earned 27,000. (A+B, 13,000 + 14,000).

due to the united states progressive tax rates, somebody that earns 27,000 owes a "higher percentage" tax on their income as compared to folks that only earn 14,000 or 13,000. that means that even though your employers did exactly what you told them, you ended up putting yourself in a situation where not enough tax was withheld and you would "owe" in theory.

the w-4 form has a worksheet for you to run through that allows you to ask one employer to withhold additional money (i.e. the normal rate for single/2 and then PLUS $45 per pay period)... check out the instructions for the w-4 and in particular line 6.

This is why even though you're being "honest" with each employer, neither of your employers knows how much money you're making in "total", and thus, you're underwithheld and end up owing money.
Fam you make no sense. Dude said he put 0 , that is the minimal you can put so he should be straight regardless. His employer wasnt witholding enough. I had a few that did that before. Sometimes they didnt withhold jack for weeks, why i dont know

My friend made $28,00, claimed 0 and he is getting back $1200 no kids

And 27k is not a higher tax bracket, its like 33k next level, but still as long as he claim 0 or 1 it shouldnt matter he shouldnt owe

My other friend screwed up because he thought he was claiming his son, he made like 45k and was claiming like 3 or 4 i think.. tax time his baby mama said naw, he owed like 3k  lol

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.........interesting
I'm thinking I should have em looked over
But then again idk
I didn't get that much taken out of my checks throughout the year
Idk part of me is like I should see what's up
And another part is like I ain't trippin
But damn 9 racks could be put up for my fund instead of 3
All depends on how much you made and what you claimed.

Example i did someone taxes who made 29k and claimed 0 throughout year and they claimed 2 kids and got back 3k.

I know somebody who made 16k and claimed 3 throught year and claimed 2 kids and got back 9k

dude who made less got back more because of EIC(earned income credit), when you make so much  money you get less EIC. He was at the peak or near. Plus he got the extra 1k per kid because of the Child Credit

But your a perfect example here. If you want to get more money on your paychecks you can up what your claiming exemptions, so you will even out.

If you claim the right exemptions, you should be able to see extra $70 per check if you get paid weekly but at tax time you will not get any money, you will even out

This is if you plan to have the same tax situation this year as well

Last edited:

hare,
for a lot of folks, what you described is just perfectly normal and fine by them. i don't know enough to say whether or not you got a good deal, or your taxes were done correctly, but it does sound like you're "pleased" with the outcome and "pleased" with the amount of money and time you spent to get to that point.

understanding your own tax situations is especially helpful if you want to make adjustments or changes to your situation during the year...
if you want to treat your taxes like a surprise at the bottom of a cereal box, then that's perfectly fine, guess what, you'll be surprised and you'll have fun with what you find, which is usually more than you had before....

when you understand your tax situation, it's more like trying to pick the cereal at the grocery store based on what the box says the surprise toy might be inside... it's just another opportunity to plan ahead and manipulate your own life/outcome.

i'll tell you what, hare, you're going to love that house when you get it, and it's going to be super exciting and totally worth it.

Turbo tax says I should get back around 2800, that's what I usually get every year, I'm tempted to try somewhere local, just to see what the difference is, I got a co-worker getting back 10k :x

Turbo tax says I should get back around 2800, that's what I usually get every year, I'm tempted to try somewhere local, just to see what the difference is, I got a co-worker getting back 10k
sick.gif
10k lol

he must be claiming some  youngins

But when you get back money say the feds took out 3k on your w2 and your getting back 4k, that mean you didnt have to pay tax so you can claim exempt this year if you situation will be the same. Exempt they wont take any fed taxes out because you will get it back anyways so it doesnt make sense for them to take it out.

Last edited:
Yea she has 6 kids
WOW well i think he can only claim 3, better ask him to throw some your way

O if you buy a house you get back like 8k. if you adopt a kid you get a credit of like 13k per kid...

Last edited:
3 things: How many years back can you have a tax person look over and check? Does only H&R Block do that? How many recommend using something like turbo tax over having a office do your taxes?

Back
Top Bottom