• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm gonna get a new phone from T-Mobile within the first two weeks of June.
I've narrowed my options down between the Nexus 6 and the Samsung S6 Edge.
I'm most likely switching to the S6 soon coming from the nexus 6, just need to decide on a color lol

I think I'm over the big phablet phase or just looking for an excuse to get a new phone

Finally got around to rooting my G3 on Lollipop. What apps can I get thatl save battery? Ive got Titanium backup( no idea what to freeze etc tho) greenify and a screen brightness app...

I'm most likely switching to the S6 soon coming from the nexus 6, just need to decide on a color lol

I think I'm over the big phablet phase or just looking for an excuse to get a new phone
What were your favorite and least favorite things about the Nexus 6?

just scooped this joint up the other day

very happy with it but then they had to go ahead and announce that damn iron man version :smh:

Finally got some money for a new phone today, think I'll wait on that OP2 and cop either a tablet or smart watch with it for the same price as the newer flagships

Finally got around to rooting my G3 on Lollipop. What apps can I get thatl save battery? Ive got Titanium backup( no idea what to freeze etc tho) greenify and a screen brightness app...

Greenify is all you really need

These battery saving apps really don't do much besides run in the background.

Since you're rooted greenify works wonders and titanium backup is dope too. Freeze whatever bloat you don't need, but don't necessarily want to uninstall

so my note 4 is kind of inconsistent with battery life on cm12.1.

i love the stock 5.1.1. i don't want to leave that, but i do want the battery life i had on touchwiz. any tips? some people talk about changing the kernel...im gonna be honest, i don't tinker with phones enough to really know much about kernels so any schooling would be appreciated.

all i know is that kernels, like radios, can be separately changed regardless of rom..i've heard franco kernel mentioned a few times in here...:nerd:

ill have to monitor the battery life more, and its still pretty solid, but not quite as good as touchwiz it seems. idk maybe my expectations are too high.

Last edited:
so my note 4 is kind of inconsistent with battery life on cm12.1.

i love the stock 5.1.1. i don't want to leave that, but i do want the battery life i had on touchwiz. any tips? some people talk about changing the kernel...im gonna be honest, i don't tinker with phones enough to really know much about kernels so any schooling would be appreciated.

all i know is that kernels, like radios, can be separately changed regardless of rom..i've heard franco kernel mentioned a few times in here...:nerd:

ill have to monitor the battery life more, and its still pretty solid, but not quite as good as touchwiz it seems. idk maybe my expectations are too high.

Its all a matter of turning apps off. Brightness. Things like that from what I've seen in the note 4 google plus community and on xda

Idk how ppl using lollipop can have 5+ hours when i was getting at least 2.5

Before we let this sentiment go any further-

In short, kernels facilitate communication from the software on your device to the hardware that powers it. So, when you do something like turning up the brightness on your phone, your request to the software goes through the kernel, that then tells the backlight (hardware) for the screen to increase brightness by the % level specified by the user (this is a very basic example, tech/IT people don't come at my neck :lol: )

Generally speaking, there are two main types of kernels, CAF and AOSP. I'll save the finer details for those that are interested, but not all kernels are interchangable and you can really mess up your device if you're messing with kernel settings when you shouldn't. CAF is short for Code Aurora Forums, which is where Qualcomm (major hardware manufacturer) releases their sources for developers to use. AOSP is short for Android Open Source Project, which is Googles version of the same thing.

CAF and AOSP have begun combining sources, so hopefully soon people won't have to worry about it. But for the meantime, all kernels are not interchangable and you should always double check to make sure a Kernel is compatible with a ROM that you want to flash it over. If you are unsure, ask. Generally speaking, developers will make a note saying if their ROM is compatible with AOSP/CAF kernels and vice versa.

Francos kernel is a light kernel that most people report some performance boost with, myself included. It supports both AOSP and CAF as far as i know.

The same should go for radios. Don't go flashing a 4.3/4.4 radio on a device running 5.0 without first checking to make sure its compatible, otherwise you will be spending some time learning ADB/odin.

I said that to myself last summer when I got the Galaxy S5
laugh.gif
Then found out I was lying to myself when I hopped back on the phablet wagon with the Note 4.
I'm hoping i don't regret it. I know when that new note 5 rolls around i'll be
eek.gif
and eventually try to get it too lol
Originally Posted by st1llundftd  

What were your favorite and least favorite things about the Nexus 6?
It's my first android device since the HTC Evo days and I love it. The size and performance is great. I think the only downside to the phone is the camera. I knew from the start  the camera wouldn't be all that great. Other than that, it's a dope phone.

At work, I got a chance to play with both (S6 and S6E) and it just made me want to get a new phone.

Asus Zenfone 2 lands in the US tomorrow starting at $199

Asus originally unveiled the Zenfone 2 at CES back in January. The phone (in its many variations) went on sale in parts of Asia, then got released in Europe at the end of March. And now it's finally on its way to North America.
Today at a special event in New York Asus announced that the Zenfone 2 will become available in the US and Canada tomorrow.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Two variants of the handset will be offered, both coming with the ZE551ML model number. For just $199 unlocked and sans carrier contract, you can get a device with a 5.5-inch 1080p touchscreen, a 13 MP rear camera with dual-LED flash, a 5 MP selfie shooter, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of expandable storage, a 3,000 mAh battery, and an Intel Atom Z3560 chipset (with a 1.8 GHz quad-core CPU).
If you're able to shell out $100 more, the RAM amount doubles to 4GB, storage becomes 64GB, and the chipset is bumped up to an Intel Atom Z3580, which has a 2.3 GHz quad-core CPU. That's quite an upgrade. Both models will run Android 5.0 Lollipop, with Asus ZenUI on top.

Man idk. This is tempting. Yall think this will have good dev support? If not I'm good.
probably not but I'm thinking about copping to hold me down till the 1+2 or new nexus.

And just slide to momb dukes upon new coppage...

Summer is long, and that phone doesn't look too shabby

Last edited:

Before we let this sentiment go any further-

In short, kernels facilitate communication from the software on your device to the hardware that powers it. So, when you do something like turning up the brightness on your phone, your request to the software goes through the kernel, that then tells the backlight (hardware) for the screen to increase brightness by the % level specified by the user (this is a very basic example, tech/IT people don't come at my neck :lol: )

Generally speaking, there are two main types of kernels, CAF and AOSP. I'll save the finer details for those that are interested, but not all kernels are interchangable and you can really mess up your device if you're messing with kernel settings when you shouldn't. CAF is short for Code Aurora Forums, which is where Qualcomm (major hardware manufacturer) releases their sources for developers to use. AOSP is short for Android Open Source Project, which is Googles version of the same thing.

CAF and AOSP have begun combining sources, so hopefully soon people won't have to worry about it. But for the meantime, all kernels are not interchangable and you should always double check to make sure a Kernel is compatible with a ROM that you want to flash it over. If you are unsure, ask. Generally speaking, developers will make a note saying if their ROM is compatible with AOSP/CAF kernels and vice versa.

Francos kernel is a light kernel that most people report some performance boost with, myself included. It supports both AOSP and CAF as far as i know.

The same should go for radios. Don't go flashing a 4.3/4.4 radio on a device running 5.0 without first checking to make sure its compatible, otherwise you will be spending some time learning ADB/odin.

repped man thanks

probably not but I'm thinking about copping to hold me down till the 1+2 or new nexus.

And just slide to momb dukes upon new coppage...

Summer is long, and that phone doesn't look too shabby

It's between the Zenphone and Alcatel Idol for me until the 6s/Moto X(3)/1+2 drops.

Back
Top Bottom