Was Barkley the best player on the 92 olympic team?

I was watching the Dream Team games from vhs that i found in my basement and what struck to me was that Barkley was just monster at these olympics. Maybe the best player on the team.

I was watching the Dream Team games from vhs that i found in my basement and what struck to me was that Barkley was just monster at these olympics. Maybe the best player on the team.

Yes. I think he led the team in scoring (by 3 whole points) and field goal percentage. He shot an insane 71% compared to Jordan who shot 45%. He also did the same on the 96 team where his FG% was even more insane at 81%. Other than scoring, he also led the 96 team in rebounding.

Yes. I think he led the team in scoring (by 3 whole points) and field goal percentage. He shot an insane 71% compared to Jordan who shot 45%. He also did the same on the 96 team where his FG% was even more insane at 81%. Other than scoring, he also led the 96 team in rebounding.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Yeah, Barkley was a monster. But it can be attributed to Jordan's intensity in practice. It's also why Barkley had a career year in '93.

Yeah, Barkley was a monster. But it can be attributed to Jordan's intensity in practice. It's also why Barkley had a career year in '93.

Yup, he went 59-83 from the field, 7-8 from 3 PT, and led the team in scoring.

Larry Bird on Dream Team:

"Basketball is so simple. You can run the pick and roll to perfection; work for the open man; if you don't have a shot, swing the ball. But it doesn't always happen. On this team it happened. It wasn't about scoring because we could've just got it into Charles, who at that time was the most dominant player in the world offensively. But it wasn't about that. It was about playing the game correctly."

Yup, he went 59-83 from the field, 7-8 from 3 PT, and led the team in scoring.

Larry Bird on Dream Team:

"Basketball is so simple. You can run the pick and roll to perfection; work for the open man; if you don't have a shot, swing the ball. But it doesn't always happen. On this team it happened. It wasn't about scoring because we could've just got it into Charles, who at that time was the most dominant player in the world offensively. But it wasn't about that. It was about playing the game correctly."

Originally Posted by THE GR8

eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Well he shot .816 so I need to correct myself. That rounds off to 82%. But yeah, overall, since pros were allowed to play in the Olympics until the most recent olympics (1992-2008), Barkley is hands down the best player. And really, anyone else is a distant second.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Well he shot .816 so I need to correct myself. That rounds off to 82%. But yeah, overall, since pros were allowed to play in the Olympics until the most recent olympics (1992-2008), Barkley is hands down the best player. And really, anyone else is a distant second.

Not sure if he was the best player, but he was ABSOLUTELY unstoppable during that summer thats for damn sure...

Not sure if he was the best player, but he was ABSOLUTELY unstoppable during that summer thats for damn sure...

No doubt he was a beast but considering only him and Laettner were the only ones on the Dream Team to not make the playoffs (Magic just retired from the HIV announcement), he had some time to be fresh Barcelona.

No doubt he was a beast but considering only him and Laettner were the only ones on the Dream Team to not make the playoffs (Magic just retired from the HIV announcement), he had some time to be fresh Barcelona.

The thing I really like about Barkley looking back at him and the Olympics, he played and acted like he was better than his opponents. Like they didn't even have the right to be on the court with him. That's why he punked that Angola player. I think that's the attitude that's been missing from the USA teams ever since Dream Team 2. Now I will say that the rest of the world has caught up to the USA big time and FIBA/International refs would probably love to throw out a USA player at the drop of a dime if anyone pulled something like Barkley did, so it's hard to have that same attitude.

The thing I really like about Barkley looking back at him and the Olympics, he played and acted like he was better than his opponents. Like they didn't even have the right to be on the court with him. That's why he punked that Angola player. I think that's the attitude that's been missing from the USA teams ever since Dream Team 2. Now I will say that the rest of the world has caught up to the USA big time and FIBA/International refs would probably love to throw out a USA player at the drop of a dime if anyone pulled something like Barkley did, so it's hard to have that same attitude.

Back
Top Bottom