Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on cue.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226040/Wizards-Have-Leagues-Best-Defense-With-Wall-In-Lineup

Wizards Have League's Best Defense With Wall In Lineup
Feb 09, 2013 10:15 PM EST

The Washington Wizards have allowed 95.1 points per 100 possessions since John Wall returned, a mark that would rank 1st overall.

“That’s one thing coach (Randy Wittman) prides us on is doing it on the defensive end because we can score in various ways and get out in the open court. They was doing a good job of making it tough on teams,” Wall said of his teammates before his return. “The main thing to be good in this league, especially a young team, you got to come out and play hard and that’s what we try to do every night and create offense off of our defense.”

The Wizards have held opponents to less than triple digits in 14 of Wall’s first 16 games, and only five opponents have shot better than 45 percent during that span.

“Our guys have bought into the system and has worked their tails off to do the things night in and night out that we need to do on the defensive end,” Wittman said. “Are you going to make mistakes? Yeah. But I like our mistakes now being made now because they’re aggressive. We’re overaggressive. We’re trying too hard. You take those as a coach.”

Via Michael Lee/Washington Post

Right on cue.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226040/Wizards-Have-Leagues-Best-Defense-With-Wall-In-Lineup

Wizards Have League's Best Defense With Wall In Lineup
Feb 09, 2013 10:15 PM EST

The Washington Wizards have allowed 95.1 points per 100 possessions since John Wall returned, a mark that would rank 1st overall.

“That’s one thing coach (Randy Wittman) prides us on is doing it on the defensive end because we can score in various ways and get out in the open court. They was doing a good job of making it tough on teams,” Wall said of his teammates before his return. “The main thing to be good in this league, especially a young team, you got to come out and play hard and that’s what we try to do every night and create offense off of our defense.”

The Wizards have held opponents to less than triple digits in 14 of Wall’s first 16 games, and only five opponents have shot better than 45 percent during that span.

“Our guys have bought into the system and has worked their tails off to do the things night in and night out that we need to do on the defensive end,” Wittman said. “Are you going to make mistakes? Yeah. But I like our mistakes now being made now because they’re aggressive. We’re overaggressive. We’re trying too hard. You take those as a coach.”

Via Michael Lee/Washington Post

:wow:

Had no clue.

Might be a BOLD statement...but if the Wizards can win at the minimum 35 games (TALL task and probably impossible), Wittman will get a vote or two for COY. That being said, do you want him back next year? Players love the guy. We all know that he's here because Flip is still being paid and he's a cheaper alternative...but I wouldn't be mad if he's coaching this team going forward. For now :lol:

My main problem with Wittman has been his poor rotations. It seems like he has a tendency to put the wrong guys on the floor at the wrong times. There have been so many times when our starting unit was keeping us in the game, then he takes everyone decent out of the game and puts in guys who can't score or run any sort of offense.

But a lot of that is just due to our mediocre roster, which isn't really Wittman's fault. The majority of the offense is initiated by either Wall or Nene, and whenever those two are out of the game at the same time bad things are gonna happen. This team has D-league players like Price and Temple getting major minutes. Players like Kevin Seraphin getting major minutes, a blackhole PF who is allergic to defense and rebounding.

I've come around on Wittman and I think we should keep him. He's proved that when he has a healthy team at his disposal, he can coach effectively against any team and gets guys to play for him. Having a defensive-minded coach is a huge benefit in this league, just look at what Thibs is doing with the Bulls despite their lack of offensive talent. The real issue here is that this late season surge is going to save Grunfeld's job once again.. can't wait to see how he botches this draft/offseason :smh:

Last edited:
My main problem with Wittman has been his poor rotations. It seems like he has a tendency to put the wrong guys on the floor at the wrong times. There have been so many times when our starting unit was keeping us in the game, then he takes everyone decent out of the game and puts in guys who can't score or run any sort of offense.

But a lot of that is just due to our mediocre roster, which isn't really Wittman's fault. The majority of the offense is initiated by either Wall or Nene, and whenever those two are out of the game at the same time bad things are gonna happen. This team has D-league players like Price and Temple getting major minutes. Players like Kevin Seraphin getting major minutes, a blackhole PF who is allergic to defense and rebounding.

I've come around on Wittman and I think we should keep him. He's proved that when he has a healthy team at his disposal, he can coach effectively against any team and gets guys to play for him. Having a defensive-minded coach is a huge benefit in this league, just look at what Thibs is doing with the Bulls despite their lack of offensive talent. The real issue here is that this late season surge is going to save Grunfeld's job once again.. can't wait to see how he botches this draft/offseason :smh:
I hear you....

Cant remember who they played before BK, but he had a lineup of AJ Price, Temple, Ariza, Singleton, and Okafor. :x Needless to say, they couldn't get ANYTHING going on offense.

His rotations are questionable at times, but IMO, the positives that he brings to the table outweigh the negatives.

The key is what exactly is going to happen w/ Grunfeld. I hope that this is his last year with the team. We need someone in here who is a better talent evaluator. Period.

^Agreed. It's bittersweet seeing good results on the court because in the back of your mind you're like "Damn, how is Grunfeld gonna screw us up next".. ah well

BF is floating around the idea of trading AJ Price/Martin for Eric Maynor.

I'd be all over it. I think Price has a one year deal and we need someone in here who can backup Wall long-term.

*BF also said that they don't expect the Wizards to be very active at the deadline. I think we should be. The value (on this team) of guys like Okafor/Ariza/Nene will probably never be higher. If you're thinking long-term, I hope that EG is going to do his due diligence and see what's available out there. I'd like to think that some of our guys would be viewed as assets on contending teams. As good as the Wizards have been of late, they can't get complacent. Have to find pieces to the puzzle that can contribute 3, 4, 5+ years from now. What's out there? I just don't know.

*I'd also dangle Crawford, Booker, and Ves.

Wizkids win another thats 4 in a row...and beal with 28
pimp.gif
 5 more wins and we are at 20 for the season...Playoffs I believe

I feel next year we could fight for seeds 6-8 by then I see bandwagon fans joining our thread

This streak is great it feels good watching them win games

Beal career high highlights

We got one with this kid, that shot is silky smooth.

A few in here were already calling him a bust three weeks into the season...but I won't say no names tho.

Beal has been amazing in 2013, out there like Ray Allen Jr. Hopefully Beal can work with Wall to help him get a better J. Let's make it 5 straight vs the Pistons and go into the All-Star break on a high note.

I said this in the PG discussion thread (yesterday afternoon):

The objective of the point guard is the facilitate the offense and make everyone better. Well, the Wizards have improved offensively since his return and most importantly, they are ranked #1 in defense since he came back. It's a small sample size (15/16 games or so), but it speaks volumes as to the impact Wall has had on the Wizards. THAT is what you want out of your point guard. If that doesn't merit any talk for being in the top-10 for the position, then I really don't know what to tell you.

I 1000000% stand by this. And I challenge ANYONE who thinks differently of Wall to come up w/ a counter argument. Dude is a franchise player.

*Also, how about some props to this thread? We got some real knowledgeable dudes in here and guys who have stuck by this team at their lowest. This is one of the most active season threads in S&T and it's a testament to how much all of us want to see this thing turned around. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later. We're almost there!

:pimp:

I was one of the people who poo poo'ed the Beal pick and was never high on him even before he played a single minute, but I'll admit he has been proving me way wrong.

They've been pretty competitive since Wall got back, he's been a much bigger spark than I woukd have thought coming off the injury. I swear if he could just learn to hit a jumpshot...

[/B]
I said this in the PG discussion thread (yesterday afternoon):

The objective of the point guard is the facilitate the offense and make everyone better. Well, the Wizards have improved offensively since his return and most importantly, they are ranked #1 in defense since he came back. It's a small sample size (15/16 games or so), but it speaks volumes as to the impact Wall has had on the Wizards. THAT is what you want out of your point guard. If that doesn't merit any talk for being in the top-10 for the position, then I really don't know what to tell you.

I 1000000% stand by this. And I challenge ANYONE who thinks differently of Wall to come up w/ a counter argument. Dude is a franchise player.

*Also, how about some props to this thread? We got some real knowledgeable dudes in here and guys who have stuck by this team at their lowest. This is one of the most active season threads in S&T and it's a testament to how much all of us want to see this thing turned around. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later. We're almost there!

:pimp:

Seriously didn't think we had this many devoted fans

Anybody else think Seraphin is a Cancer to this team? everytime he is a doubled team he loses the ball, he also rushes too many shots. He, Vesly and Crawford all need to be traded, I think Seraphin would be a good fit with another team not with the wizards IMO

Anybody else think Seraphin is a Cancer to this team? everytime he is a doubled team he loses the ball, he also rushes too many shots. He, Vesly and Crawford all need to be traded, I think Seraphin would be a good fit with another team not with the wizards IMO

Cancer? Absolutely not.

Has he regressed? Yes.

This game was a good example of why we need to replace Seraphin. We already know he doesn't rebound or defend, but he also gave nothing on offense today and played with no effort. Price was *** cheeks too, Wittman leaving him on the floor with Seraphin, Ariza and Singleton for waaay too long cost us the game. None of those guys can run any type of effective offense when Wall/Nene/Okafor/Webster are out.

The team is built very thinly right now and the offense is too dependent on certain players. We're in desperate need of another PF/SF who can add energy and scoring. We could've drafted Kawhi Leonard and Faried instead of Vesely and Singleton, but that would have made too much sense.

Oh yea, Will Bynum cooked the got damn Wizards.
I hate that dude. He's not even good but he always balls out against us.

Last edited:
Keep seraphin dog is having a bad season hopefully he returns to form

Today we had key defensive breakdowns in the fourth

That 4 point play... :smh:

[h1] [/h1]
[h1]Agent David Falk slams John Wall, Washington Wizards[/h1][h3]By Mike Wise, Thursday, February 14, 10:07 AM[/h3]
In a column I wrote  about John Wall  for Sunday’s paper, in which I essentially said the Wizards’ 22-year-old point guard is a work in progress but is also worth keeping in Washington and appreciating anew, this paragraph was typed:

“A prominent NBA agent, whom I’ll save from embarrassment here, told me a year ago the Wizards needed to unload Wall before the rest of the league found out he didn’t have trade value.”

It turns out David Falk didn’t want anonymity. He just wanted to go off on Wall.

And Emeka Okafor.

And Trevor Ariza.

And the Wizards’  alleged rebuild.

But he mostly wanted to go off on any perceived homer who believes Wall can eventually make Washington a contender.

“I’m going to save you  from embarrassment,” Michael Jordan’s former agent said as an introduction Monday night when he called. A Wizards season ticket holder, Falk added: “You guys are in dreamland. Because this team [stinks] so bad you guys want John Wall to be someone he will never be. “Before Wall becomes Nene, I would trade him and get rid of him.”

Come on, really? “I’m serious. He doesn’t have a feel for the game,” Falk said. “He only knows how to play one speed. Magic Johnson had a great feel, a court sense, by the time he was a sophomore in college. Chris Paul had it by the time he was a sophomore in high school. “You can develop your jump shot all you want, but if you don’t know how to play more than an up-and-down game by the time you’re about 20 as a point guard, the chances of learning are very slim. I don’t see it happening.”

“Let me ask you a question,” Falk said, maybe 28 times over 30 minutes, often answering for you. “Who’s bigger, Kyrie Irving  or John Wall? John Wall. Who’s a better athlete? John Wall. Who’s faster? Who’s stronger? John Wall.

“Now, who’s a better player? Kyrie Irving,” he said of Cleveland’s all-star point guard who was rookie of the year in 2012. “John Wall will never be good as Kyrie Irving was in his first week in the NBA.

“You want to know the reason why just nine teams have won an NBA title in 40 years? Because if both of them came out today, 99 percent of all general managers would still take John Wall instead of Kyrie Irving. They’d take the athlete over the ballplayer. And they’d be wrong.”

It should be noted that it’s highly unusual for a working agent to eviscerate a current player. So I asked Falk, who often likes to be right instead of happy, why he has so much contempt for Wall’s stop-and-pop game? Is it because 76ers swingman Evan Turner, one of a handful of clients to sign with Falk since he got back in the agent game after handsomely cashing out on his company, went No. 2 behind Wall in the 2010 NBA draft? Does Falk yearn for the days when he was the game’s biggest power broker, not John Calipari or some Liaison to the Stars everyone calls Worldwide Wes?

Did he just receive his Stan Van Gundy Starter Kit in the mail? (“I don’t think he’s good enough that you can build a franchise around him,” Van Gundy said earlier this year.) Either way, Falk picked an odd time to drop an anvil on a third-year player who’s been tearing it up lately. Since returning from injury, Wall has led the Wizards to 10 wins in 18 games and, more important, created real hope for a Wizards team that started the season an embarrassing 5-28.

Yes, Wall needs to slow the game down, wait for a secondary break or a pick on the perimeter. But he’s also clogging passing lines like Scottie Pippen used to. And when he forces a steal, he weaves through the other team  as if they are traffic cones instead of people. He’s growing, he’s learning.

What’s this really about?

“I’m not down on John Wall,” Falk said, before being further down on John Wall. “I just think people want him to be something he’s never going to be. He’s a big tease. He doesn’t have a good enough feel for the game to be an elite player. I don’t think he’ll ever be the player you think he is.”

Again, Falk is not down on John Wall, whom he said has about an 18-month window to develop court sense and become a special player. “He might, but I don’t think he’ll be a much smarter player,” he said. “You can’t become a smart player. You either are or you aren’t.”

“If I own this team, the only guy I’d keep is Bradley Beal,” Falk continued. “I would trade John Wall before what you wrote [Sunday] is wrong.”

Okay then, time for lightning round.

Falk on Nene: “He’s not going to win on this team. He knows it. He doesn’t want to be here. By the time Washington is good, how old is Nene going to be?”

Falk on Okafor and Ariza: “You paid about $29 million for them when could have had [Falk client] Elton Brand for $2.1 million after he was amnestied? Would you rather have a Mercedes for $20,000, or a broken-down Chevy and broken-down Yugo for $250,000?” On why Falk has attended just four games this season: “ ’Cause the team is going nowhere. Randy [Wittman] is doing a great job with minimal talent. You’re one of two things in the NBA: either one player away from contending or you’re rebuilding. The Wizards are in limbo. I love Ernie [Grunfeld] and Ted [Leonsis], but I’d rather have Orlando’s team in four years. I wouldn’t want [Jordan] Crawford. You think [Jan] Vesely is going to turn into this year’s number six pick, Damian Lillard from Portland? No, he’s not. And [Trevor] Booker isn’t going to turn into Blake Griffin. . . .I like Beal. That’s it.

I communicated with Wall on Tuesday night via the Internet. You always want to get the other side. But this was awkward, essentially grade-schoolish: “Hey, John, Falk thinks you’re lousy. What do you think of that?”

Apprised of the gist of Falk’s comments, Wall wrote back that he had no desire to issue a response — which, if you think about it, is actually the big news. A proud 22-year-old is skewered by the agent who represented the greatest single performer in basketball at the height of Jordan’s fame, during a chaotic year in which Wall, barely mentioned anymore in conversations about the league’s top young point guards, had real doubt about whether his knee was going to hold up and afford him the explosiveness that gave him this great life. And it comes on the heels of the team’s recent four-game winning streak, led by a suddenly hungry and healthy . . . John Wall. That kid, whom Falk says isn’t going to get it, let the words float by, lost in the ether of nothingness.

Let me ask you a question: Is there a better feel for the game than that?

For more by Mike Wise, visit www.washingtonpost.com/wise.

[emoji]169[/emoji] The Washington Post Company

I didn't read the whole article (yet), but how much of Falk's sour grapes are due to how the Wizards treated Mike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom