Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

What we do when we assume no one is paying attention demonstrates our true character.

On Friday, during a very stressful week for Washington, I looked to escape the madness for 30 minutes on what was a warm fall afternoon. I was reading The Post and eating a quick lunch at a table outside a local sandwich shop while a disheveled homeless man sat nearby, persistently and unsuccessfully asking anyone who walked by if he or she could “spare a sandwich.”

After about 25 minutes, Otto Porter Jr., the Georgetown basketball star and the Washington Wizards’ newest first-round draft pick, drove up, hopped out of his car and entered the shop. Mr. Porter soon exited with his sandwich and drink — but also with a sandwich, a bag of chips and a drink for the homeless man. Mr. Porter then sat down next to the man, and they both enjoyed their sandwiches while making small talk.

It was a wonderful thing to watch. This pure act of kindness, when no one was paying any attention, demonstrated true character and a genuine concern for someone in need. Mr. Porter, kudos to you. You are a gentleman and a true role model for fans of all ages.
smokin.gif
To echo what I think is a common sentiment:  I don't think that we drafted Otto with the expectation that he'll become an All Star.  In this draft class, nobody knows who the future All Stars will actually be - and anyone who claims otherwise is blowing smoke.  It's a gamble.

What we do know for certain is that Otto Porter will be a great teammate.  His versatility means he's suitable for a wide variety of roles - and his humility means that he'll be willing to accept any of those roles so long it benefits the team.  He's a glue guy, and such players are rare and indispensable.  

This isn't a video game.  If you replaced Dennis Rodman with Shawn Kemp on the '96 Bulls, they wouldn't suddenly go 82-0 just because Kemp would've been rated a 90 and Rodman a 75.  Kemp never would've accepted a tertiary role, even if it meant winning a championship.  You'd much rather have Rodman playing to 100% of his capability than Shawn Kemp playing at 50% of his.  Obviously Otto isn't anything like Dennis Rodman, but the point is that you only need so many players who can score 30 points a game.  The rest need to DEFEND, play their position, and demand at least a body when on offense.  It's actually advantageous, in today's NBA, that we drafted somebody who won't demand a max level contract.  We'd just have a James Harden situation on our hands and groom an up and coming superstar for somebody else.

Porter did not impress in summer league, and folks are down on him for that reason.  I'm not concerned about his box score in a pickup game.  I'm more concerned with his defense and his intangibles.  He's a guy who has as much potential to be an impact defender at this level as anyone in the draft - including Victor Oladipo.  Everyone was high on MKG last summer due to his effort and defense.  With Porter, you have a little less passion, but a lot more polish.  

It's difficult to be bullish on the Wizards with injuries already wreaking havoc on our roster before the preseason has even begun, but I'm more satisfied with the direction of the team than I'd thought possible under the current regime.  I hate to say it, but a failed playoff bid could be a blessing in disguise for this team.  It would finally give Ted cause to usher out Wittman and Grunfeld and we all know that next year's draft looks to be the strongest class in years.  However remote the chances, the more chips we can give ourselves in the Greg Monroe sweepstakes the better.  We need more youth and durability up front.  

Goddamn, here I was all excited to sit down and watch this and its blacked out on NBATV, and CSN is showing hockey (who gives a damn about Florida vs Philadelphia hockey in the Caps market)

My internet isn't working to find a stream (on phone now) so Ill be asking yall for a synopsis afterwards

Goddamn, here I was all excited to sit down and watch this and its blacked out on NBATV, and CSN is showing hockey (who gives a damn about Florida vs Philadelphia hockey in the Caps market)

My internet isn't working to find a stream (on phone now) so Ill be asking yall for a synopsis afterwards
The worst part of it is that there are TWO CSN channels.  The other has NO programming whatsoever and is just looping the station ID.  

They "covered" the summer league games.  (Rebranding NBATV's coverage with CSN logos and a voiceover track recorded in Bethesda.)  Why can't they show this?  

What we do when we assume no one is paying attention demonstrates our true character.

On Friday, during a very stressful week for Washington, I looked to escape the madness for 30 minutes on what was a warm fall afternoon. I was reading The Post and eating a quick lunch at a table outside a local sandwich shop while a disheveled homeless man sat nearby, persistently and unsuccessfully asking anyone who walked by if he or she could “spare a sandwich.”

After about 25 minutes, Otto Porter Jr., the Georgetown basketball star and the Washington Wizards’ newest first-round draft pick, drove up, hopped out of his car and entered the shop. Mr. Porter soon exited with his sandwich and drink — but also with a sandwich, a bag of chips and a drink for the homeless man. Mr. Porter then sat down next to the man, and they both enjoyed their sandwiches while making small talk.

It was a wonderful thing to watch. This pure act of kindness, when no one was paying any attention, demonstrated true character and a genuine concern for someone in need. Mr. Porter, kudos to you. You are a gentleman and a true role model for fans of all ages.
:smokin

To echo what I think is a common sentiment:  I don't think that we drafted Otto with the expectation that he'll become an All Star.  In this draft class, nobody knows who the future All Stars will actually be - and anyone who claims otherwise is blowing smoke.  It's a gamble.

What we do know for certain is that Otto Porter will be a great teammate.  His versatility means he's suitable for a wide variety of roles - and his humility means that he'll be willing to accept any of those roles so long it benefits the team.  He's a glue guy, and such players are rare and indispensable.  

This isn't a video game.  If you replaced Dennis Rodman with Shawn Kemp on the '96 Bulls, they wouldn't suddenly go 82-0 just because Kemp would've been rated a 90 and Rodman a 75.  Kemp never would've accepted a tertiary role, even if it meant winning a championship.  You'd much rather have Rodman playing to 100% of his capability than Shawn Kemp playing at 50% of his.  Obviously Otto isn't anything like Dennis Rodman, but the point is that you only need so many players who can score 30 points a game.  The rest need to DEFEND, play their position, and demand at least a body when on offense.  It's actually advantageous, in today's NBA, that we drafted somebody who won't demand a max level contract.  We'd just have a James Harden situation on our hands and groom an up and coming superstar for somebody else.

Porter did not impress in summer league, and folks are down on him for that reason.  I'm not concerned about his box score in a pickup game.  I'm more concerned with his defense and his intangibles.  He's a guy who has as much potential to be an impact defender at this level as anyone in the draft - including Victor Oladipo.  Everyone was high on MKG last summer due to his effort and defense.  With Porter, you have a little less passion, but a lot more polish.  

It's difficult to be bullish on the Wizards with injuries already wreaking havoc on our roster before the preseason has even begun, but I'm more satisfied with the direction of the team than I'd thought possible under the current regime.  I hate to say it, but a failed playoff bid could be a blessing in disguise for this team.  It would finally give Ted cause to usher out Wittman and Grunfeld and we all know that next year's draft looks to be the strongest class in years.  However remote the chances, the more chips we can give ourselves in the Greg Monroe sweepstakes the better.  We need more youth and durability up front.  

Completely agree. Otto is the perfect fit for Wall and Beal. Best part is the team should be able to keep those 3 together for years as long as they're willing to play in D.C

And this is probably the one year I wouldn't mind the team being sub 450. This draft class is going to be awesome.

Man anyone know how I can watch the game tonight
Drive out of the DMV.  

We take illegal content streams seriously - as we have to take any criminal abuse of our forums seriously.  The "unjustness" of the broadcasting situation is irrelevant.  

The worst part of it is that there are TWO CSN channels.  The other has NO programming whatsoever and is just looping the station ID.  

They "covered" the summer league games.  (Rebranding NBATV's coverage with CSN logos and a voiceover track recorded in Bethesda.)  Why can't they show this?  
:smh: Wow.. I didn't even know there was a different CSN channel. That's so stupid that they aren't showing anything

To people watching, how is Wall's defense?

Last edited:
[table][tr][th=""]WASHINGTON WIZARDS [/th][/tr][tr][td]FIELD GOALSREBOUNDS[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]POS[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FGM-A[/td][td]3PM-A[/td][td]FTM-A[/td][td]+/-[/td][td]OFF[/td][td]DEF[/td][td]TOT[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PF[/td][td]ST[/td][td]TO[/td][td]BS[/td][td]BA[/td][td]PTS[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]J. Vesely[/td][td]F[/td][td]28:22[/td][td]1-4[/td][td]0-0[/td][td]1-2[/td][td]+4[/td][td]5[/td][td]7[/td][td]12[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][/table]
Okay, can we please dead this whole "pick up Jan's option, he was great in Euroleague" nonsense now?  

[table][tr][th=""]WASHINGTON WIZARDS [/th][/tr][tr][td]FIELD GOALSREBOUNDS[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]POS[/td][td]MIN[/td][td]FGM-A[/td][td]3PM-A[/td][td]FTM-A[/td][td]+/-[/td][td]OFF[/td][td]DEF[/td][td]TOT[/td][td]AST[/td][td]PF[/td][td]ST[/td][td]TO[/td][td]BS[/td][td]BA[/td][td]PTS[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]J. Vesely[/td][td]F[/td][td]28:22[/td][td]1-4[/td][td]0-0[/td][td]1-2[/td][td]+4[/td][td]5[/td][td]7[/td][td]12[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]0[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][/table]
Okay, can we please dead this whole "pick up Jan's option, he was great in Euroleague" nonsense now?  
Jan Vesley career bum.... Who in their right mind wants to pick up his option 

laugh.gif

This guy couldn't be more foul prone if he had a hook for a hand.  Rebounds in a ragged preseason game don't stand out to me.  
Honestly we should just decline the option and still give him a contract at a fractoin of what hes getting now  give his roster spot to a professional basketball player.
Fixed.

I was at the game. Shortly after Blatche checked in this dude behind me shouted "We paid you to leave Andray". Blatche shouted back "But you paid ME tho". 

laugh.gif
 I hate Blatche but I gotta admit it was funny the way the fan shut up. Dray gave him a head nod later and put his thumb up in good sport.

I hope Pops makes the team. Always liked his game. He's a blue collar guy all the way.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for any Wizards fans who are still awake and tried in vain to watch the game on CSN tonight:  the game is currently being rebroadcast on NBATV.  You can catch the second half if you tune in now.

Evidently, although the game was played in DC, only the Brooklyn crew covered it.

This is such a poor franchise.  
mean.gif

Just a heads up for any Wizards fans who are still awake and tried in vain to watch the game on CSN tonight:  the game is currently being rebroadcast on NBATV.  You can catch the second half if you tune in now.

Evidently, although the game was played in DC, only the Brooklyn crew covered it.

This is such a poor franchise.  :smh:

Surprised they didn't have Buck and Chenier calling the game from the CSN studio :lol:

*I quickly looked at the box score and saw that GRJr. had 12 points in 17 minutes. He's going to find a way to contribute this year.

the game was shown live on the non HD NBATV with Nets broadcasters smh

I watched about a half of the game, John Wall looked ready to roll. Midrange jumper still there but I saw a few one man fast break attempts but no big deal. We're in huge trouble if Jan Vesely is starting though, I saw ZERO improvement :x

:pimp:

I think Otto is going to turn out to be a good player for us in due time, but I really think that GRJr. is going to have a bigger impact as a rookie.

Forgot to mention this...but Eric Maynor is trash.

That's all.

Not even close to being trash. I think he will keep improving and regaining confidence in his knee. He is one of the better back-up PGs in the league. I really like the way he runs an offense, unit, and pick & roll.

That floater is deadly too.

I always thought he played well with Harden, Collison, Serge, Sef.....only dude on OKC running an actual offense.

Na...he's trash. Take your VCU hat off.

Guarantee you he won't even put up Shelvin Mack #'s this season.

One of the better backups? 
laugh.gif

Would rather have (in no order):

Jarrett Jack

Patrick Beverly

Mo Williams

Andre Miller

Norris Cole

Darren Collison

Goran Dragic

Devin Harris

Luke Ridnour

Ramon Sessions

Grevis Vasquez

Shaun Livingston

Aaron Brooks (who probably won't even play)

Will Bynum

Nate The Great

That's literally HALF of the league's back up points and I purposely left out rookies like McCollum, Larkin, etc.

Which one of those dudes is Maynor better than to justify being considered "one of the better"?
I think Otto is going to turn out to be a good player for us in due time, but I really think that GRJr. is going to have a bigger impact as a rookie.
People are down on Otto for one reason...summer league. That's it.

He's going to make alot of people look silly THIS season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom