Ways To Make CPU Faster?

yeah man, that processor is pretty weak
sick.gif
. It's a Socket P processor although i doubt op is up to the task to replace a cpu, especially in a laptop 

Ok, so you have quite a few options for a processor. However, it will be limited by your FSB (Front Side Bus) speed on your computer. Think of the Front Side Bus as a pipe. The bigger the pipe, the more water (information) that can pass through. So if you have an INSANE amount of pressure and a small pipe (pause), you'll be limited by the amount of data that can pass through at any given time.

That processor was released Jan-Mar 2009, and it was the low end back then, so imagine 2.5 years later (thats like 10 years in computer years).

Options in your socket type (PGA478) are as follows:

Intel Core Duo (800MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo (800MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Quad (800MHz FSB)

prices range from $30 to $1000+ online for the processors.

Remember, if the FSB speed doesn't match up, it won't work properly or at all.

Your last choice would be to decide whether it is worth it investing more money in this computer or putting it towards a new computer.

In 2009 a laptop with the specs you posted would have run anywhere from $299.99 to about $399.99 on the HIGH end, if you paid more, you got got.

So, is it worth it to invest 1/2 of the price of that machine into it? Possibly more than what you paid for it? That's your decision to make.

My VERDICT. Look for a new laptop. Spend $500 now and you'll get a NEW computer with 4GB of memory and a FAST Dual Core Processor.

Problem solved. (Back up your information onto an external and you're good to go)

You're welcome!

Ok, so you have quite a few options for a processor. However, it will be limited by your FSB (Front Side Bus) speed on your computer. Think of the Front Side Bus as a pipe. The bigger the pipe, the more water (information) that can pass through. So if you have an INSANE amount of pressure and a small pipe (pause), you'll be limited by the amount of data that can pass through at any given time.

That processor was released Jan-Mar 2009, and it was the low end back then, so imagine 2.5 years later (thats like 10 years in computer years).

Your last choice would be to decide whether it is worth it investing more money in this computer or putting it towards a new computer.

In 2009 a laptop with the specs you posted would have run anywhere from $299.99 to about $399.99 on the HIGH end, if you paid more, you got got.

So, is it worth it to invest 1/2 of the price of that machine into it? Possibly more than what you paid for it? That's your decision to make.

My VERDICT. Look for a new laptop. Spend $500 now and you'll get a NEW computer with 4GB of memory and a FAST Dual Core Processor.

Problem solved. (Back up your information onto an external and you're good to go)

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by Str8Hood

You're welcome!
Thanks for the info.

You're welcome!
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

You're welcome!
he could also just look into buying a decent board that's upgradable as far as graphics card and processor ports ... i shop EXCLUSIVELY at @ MicroCenter 
cheap parts that serve purpose. my board gets up to 16GB  and can run a Phenom II X6 1100T .

which is over kill ...but i edit phot and video so CS5 demands A LOT of RAM
You want him to buy a new board for his LAPTOP? Is he going to retro-fit it to fit in his case? The amount of $$ and time, not to mention ability that is going to require.... $500 on a new laptop (toshiba is best bang for buck IMO) sounds like his best bet. I'm pretty sure he said he's fairly computer illiterate. Would you do a ****** & engine swap on your car if you couldn't change the brakes?

You're welcome!
he could also just look into buying a decent board that's upgradable as far as graphics card and processor ports ... i shop EXCLUSIVELY at @ MicroCenter 
cheap parts that serve purpose. my board gets up to 16GB  and can run a Phenom II X6 1100T .

which is over kill ...but i edit phot and video so CS5 demands A LOT of RAM
You want him to buy a new board for his LAPTOP? Is he going to retro-fit it to fit in his case? The amount of $$ and time, not to mention ability that is going to require.... $500 on a new laptop (toshiba is best bang for buck IMO) sounds like his best bet. I'm pretty sure he said he's fairly computer illiterate. Would you do a ****** & engine swap on your car if you couldn't change the brakes?

Originally Posted by quiickz

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Epitome of a sheep. 
laugh.gif
epitome of a guy who found it funny that someone would think that i didn't know macbook wasn't apple's brand of laptop and felt compelled to tell me like "he was doing it"
THEN...when i simply laughed, his intelligence was obviously insulted and felt the need to go into beast mode and tried to insult me further.

that's what i found funny, i build PCs and have successfully upgraded macbooks...so to ASSUME i didn't know the difference and attempt to belittle my intelligence while shinning light on his own
was hilarious.

You must get all the e-#$$*!!$ right? 

Originally Posted by quiickz

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Epitome of a sheep. 
laugh.gif
epitome of a guy who found it funny that someone would think that i didn't know macbook wasn't apple's brand of laptop and felt compelled to tell me like "he was doing it"
THEN...when i simply laughed, his intelligence was obviously insulted and felt the need to go into beast mode and tried to insult me further.

that's what i found funny, i build PCs and have successfully upgraded macbooks...so to ASSUME i didn't know the difference and attempt to belittle my intelligence while shinning light on his own
was hilarious.

You must get all the e-#$$*!!$ right? 

will post in the pc thread also but can you guys help me out

I got a old desktop which I want to use as a family computer, light stuff like surf the web, etc...

Its a compaq sr1900nx

-intel celeron d processor cpu 3.2ghz
-win 7
-2gb ram

It slow as f, and for some reason the old s from the previous win os is still there and taking up a lot of space. My question is, is it worth upgrading it to run decent or should I just cop a one from walmart. Im also looking for another monitor so I figure its cheaper to buy the whole thing.

and I need another computer to run programs such as autoCAD and PS smoothly. Should I build a pc or buy a mac? autocad just came out with a mac version so I havent heard much from other students but the autodesk website says its ight

http://www.autodesk.com/u...ow_reasons/en/index.html

here are the requirements for autoCAD

For 32-Bit AutoCAD 2012
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions); Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji] Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, or Home Premium (SP2 or later) (compare Windows Vista versions); or Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP Professional or Home edition (SP3 or later)
For Windows Vista or Windows 7: Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Pentium[emoji]174[/emoji] 4 or AMD Athlon[emoji]174[/emoji] dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology; for Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology
2 GB RAM
2 GB free disk space for installation
1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Internet Explorer[emoji]174[/emoji] 7.0 or later
Install from download or DVD

thanks

I got a old desktop which I want to use as a family computer, light stuff like surf the web, etc...

Its a compaq sr1900nx

-win 7
-2gb ram

It slow as f, and for some reason the old s from the previous win os is still there and taking up a lot of space. My question is, is it worth upgrading it to run decent or should I just cop a one from walmart. Im also looking for another monitor so I figure its cheaper to buy the whole thing.

and I need another computer to run programs such as autoCAD and PS smoothly. Should I build a pc or buy a mac? autocad just came out with a mac version so I havent heard much from other students but the autodesk website says its ight

For 32-Bit AutoCAD 2012
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions); Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji] Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, or Home Premium (SP2 or later) (compare Windows Vista versions); or Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP Professional or Home edition (SP3 or later)
For Windows Vista or Windows 7: Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Pentium[emoji]174[/emoji] 4 or AMD Athlon[emoji]174[/emoji] dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology; for Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology
2 GB RAM

thanks

Wow alot of the specs in your the computers posted are slow and bad. OP and anyone else who is having slow computers the best I can suggest is just to go with Mint, Debian or Ubuntu Linux. Yes it Linux but its EXTREMELY lightweight and can bring a old weak computer up to speed.

Wow alot of the specs in your the computers posted are slow and bad. OP and anyone else who is having slow computers the best I can suggest is just to go with Mint, Debian or Ubuntu Linux. Yes it Linux but its EXTREMELY lightweight and can bring a old weak computer up to speed.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Its a compaq sr1900nx

-win 7
-2gb ram

For 32-Bit AutoCAD 2012
2 GB RAM

thanks
if i was you i'd just build another pc. it'll come out cheaper than buying a pc or a mac & you'll get to choose the exact parts you want/need
Newegg has this Acer monitor for $130, although it has no reviews
ohwell.gif

& like milestailsprowe & Los Angeles Fresh said in the pc thread, if your up to it try running a linux distro like Ubuntu on the family machine. It should run smoother
nvm
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Its a compaq sr1900nx

-win 7
-2gb ram

For 32-Bit AutoCAD 2012
2 GB RAM

thanks
if i was you i'd just build another pc. it'll come out cheaper than buying a pc or a mac & you'll get to choose the exact parts you want/need
Newegg has this Acer monitor for $130, although it has no reviews
ohwell.gif

& like milestailsprowe & Los Angeles Fresh said in the pc thread, if your up to it try running a linux distro like Ubuntu on the family machine. It should run smoother
nvm
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

finallyfast.com...you p.o.s will be fast, finally

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Finallyfast.com Maker to Refund Thousands in Spyware Case[/h1]
By Robert McMillan, IDG News

The company whose late-night commercials promised to "make your computer run fast the way it's supposed to," will pay tens of thousands of dollars in fines and refunds to settle charges that it engaged in deceptive advertising.

In a settlement with the Washington State attorney general's office, Ascentive, best known for its FinallyFast.com Web site, will pay $78,000 in penalties and offer $17.90 refunds to thousands of its Washington State customers who purchased the company's PC cleanup products but did not use them.

At FinallyFast.com, PC users download software that tests their system for any performance bottlenecks and then offers to clean things up -- for a fee. Consumers complained that the software didn't work as advertised and that Ascentive racked up charges without properly notifying customers.

According to Assistant Attorney General Jake Bernstein, the company was peddling scareware -- software that always found severe problems no matter what the condition of the computer being scanned. "They basically crossed the line in terms of advertising to consumers," he said.

Bernstein's office has a list of complaints against Ascentive, which echo consumer grievances that can be found online.

In court documents, the Washington attorney general's office said that until March 2009, Ascentive's free scan software came with adware and endless, annoying pop-up warnings that exaggerated problems on the computer. "The free scan categorizes everything that it identifies as an 'error,'" the filings state.

Customers who wanted to cancel their subscriptions were forced though a cumbersome process and finally had to respond to an e-mail message before their accounts would actually be closed. The company has now agreed to fix the way it advertises and bills for its products, Bernstein said.

Ascentive sued Google in June 2009 after the search engine company began refusing to run advertisements for its products. It dropped the suit a month later, and Google is again running ads for Finallyfast.com.

Ascentive could not be reached for comment.

However, it looks like the company has made a lot of money. Ascentive claims there have been more than 20 million downloads of its free scans. In a YouTube video interview with Ascentive CEO Adam Schran, filmed on Richard Branson's Necker Island Caribbean resort, Schran describes how he's enjoying the money he's made with the company, "It's important to spoil yourself along the way," he says. "Treat yourself to trips to Necker Island or a local spa or massage. Whatever is fun."

Robert McMillan covers computer security and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Robert on Twitter at @bobmcmillan. Robert's e-mail address is [email protected]

Link

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...aker_to_refund_thousands_in_spyware_case.html

grin.gif
you dont need that crap OP

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

finallyfast.com...you p.o.s will be fast, finally

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Finallyfast.com Maker to Refund Thousands in Spyware Case[/h1]
By Robert McMillan, IDG News

The company whose late-night commercials promised to "make your computer run fast the way it's supposed to," will pay tens of thousands of dollars in fines and refunds to settle charges that it engaged in deceptive advertising.

In a settlement with the Washington State attorney general's office, Ascentive, best known for its FinallyFast.com Web site, will pay $78,000 in penalties and offer $17.90 refunds to thousands of its Washington State customers who purchased the company's PC cleanup products but did not use them.

At FinallyFast.com, PC users download software that tests their system for any performance bottlenecks and then offers to clean things up -- for a fee. Consumers complained that the software didn't work as advertised and that Ascentive racked up charges without properly notifying customers.

According to Assistant Attorney General Jake Bernstein, the company was peddling scareware -- software that always found severe problems no matter what the condition of the computer being scanned. "They basically crossed the line in terms of advertising to consumers," he said.

Bernstein's office has a list of complaints against Ascentive, which echo consumer grievances that can be found online.

In court documents, the Washington attorney general's office said that until March 2009, Ascentive's free scan software came with adware and endless, annoying pop-up warnings that exaggerated problems on the computer. "The free scan categorizes everything that it identifies as an 'error,'" the filings state.

Customers who wanted to cancel their subscriptions were forced though a cumbersome process and finally had to respond to an e-mail message before their accounts would actually be closed. The company has now agreed to fix the way it advertises and bills for its products, Bernstein said.

Ascentive sued Google in June 2009 after the search engine company began refusing to run advertisements for its products. It dropped the suit a month later, and Google is again running ads for Finallyfast.com.

Ascentive could not be reached for comment.

However, it looks like the company has made a lot of money. Ascentive claims there have been more than 20 million downloads of its free scans. In a YouTube video interview with Ascentive CEO Adam Schran, filmed on Richard Branson's Necker Island Caribbean resort, Schran describes how he's enjoying the money he's made with the company, "It's important to spoil yourself along the way," he says. "Treat yourself to trips to Necker Island or a local spa or massage. Whatever is fun."

Robert McMillan covers computer security and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Robert on Twitter at @bobmcmillan. Robert's e-mail address is [email protected]

Link

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...aker_to_refund_thousands_in_spyware_case.html

grin.gif
you dont need that crap OP

ram, and also the placement of your ram. 
use the same kind, using different brands can slow down your computer.

your processor has to be about that life too, nothing less than dual core

use removable drives instead of sata or parallels...paging relies on ram as well

coincidentally last 2 days i just starting using chrome because i upgraded to 64bit, Firefox has conflicts with chrome.
honestly I own a macbook (2009) and with how powerful my PC is, my mac is dated and is like 60% faster.

i might go full mac by the fall.

huh? using different brands has nothing to do with it. as long as the ram is compatible you'll be fine. (same speeds, timing and so on)

if you stick in slower ram, it'll down clock the other ram to that.

actually, what the hell are you talking about? use removable drives? please tell me you aren't trying to get this man to boot off a USB external drive. because im sure there is no hot swappable drives for laptops.

im sure he was being sarcastic whyhellothere
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom