WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

‘Black Panther’: Meet Princess Shuri, the Smartest Person in the World
BY DAVE TRUMBORE JANUARY 25, 2018

SHARE TWEET

black-panther-shuri-slice-600x200.jpg

In Black Panther, T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) may be the heir apparent to the throne of Wakanda, but he’s not the sole member of the royal family. After King T’Chaka (John Kani) was assassinated in Captain America: Civil War, Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett) remained in Wakanda to eventually welcome her son back into the fold. But in the meantime, T’Challa’s younger half-sister Shuri (Letitia Wright) had already risen to become the head of the Wakanda Design Group at the age of 16. That’d be an impressive achievement anywhere, but the fact that Wakanda is decades ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to their technology means that Shuri is truly exceptional.

During our set visit last year, Black Panther producer Nate Moore said as much, calling the character of Shuri “the smartest person in the world, smarter than Tony Stark.” Shots fired, Iron Man. Not a bad person to have at your side as you attempt to restore balance to a nation in upheaval while also staving off interference from enemies outside of Wakanda’s borders. But while Shuri may very well prove to be a fan-favorite character in the upcoming Black Panther movie, her comic book history suggests there’s much more story ahead for her if the MCU decides to explore it.

Image via Marvel Studios

Audiences will be introduced to Shuri as a tech expert and gadget-provider for T’Challa, sort of like how Q works alongside James Bond. The first clip from the film even featured Shuri taking charge of a tense situation while T’Challa sprang into action, but it seems like only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what exactly Shuri can do. Originally introduced in 2005 by writer Reginald Hudlinand artist John Romita, Jr., Shuri shows a fascination with the mantle of Black Panther from an early age. She also proves herself quite capable at defending Wakanda through combat against numerous invasions.

It’s probably safe to assume the Shuri we meet at the beginning of Black Panther is a little less tested on the battlefield, but exceptionally gifted where tech is concerned. The Wakanda Design Group was originally introduced in the comics in 1999 in order to manufacture Quinjets, but Black Panther has repurposed it as a sort of Wakandan Silicon Valley with Shuri as its leader. The facility, located on Mount Bashenga, will look quite different from the other locations in Wakanda; keep an eye out for the use of sand in its design. Production Designer Hannah Beachler also mentioned that Shuri’s artistic ability informed her space, located on Mount Bashenga, every bit as much as her technological know-how: “And she also likes to do some graffiti, so you’ll see a lot of her graffiti up on the walls and in her main computer.”

Image via Marvel Studios

It sounds like Black Pantheris setting Shuri up to be quite the character. We’ve already seen some marketing that features her assisting T’Challa in his heroics and even getting into the action herself. But when the producer describes a character with a superlative like “smartest person in the world” and explicitly mentions that she’s smarter than Tony Stark, you can’t help but get the feeling that bigger things are ahead for Shuri. In the comics, and this is going to get a bit spoilery if you care about such things, Shuri has actually had quite a complicated history that includes acting against T’Challa, banishing him from Wakanda and assuming leadership of the nation both as queen and as the new Black Panther. In this role, she reinstated the Hatut Zeraze that T’Challa had disbanded and led an invasion force into Atlantis against Namor. The siblings shared the title of Black Panther for a time, though their powers have changed and evolved over the years. If that brief tease interests you, you should definitely dive into the comics.

Could the future of the MCU have a place for Shuri both as an heir apparent to Tony Stark and as another Black Panther? (Personally I’d love to see Shuri and Riri Williams’s Ironheart team up alongside Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, The Wasp, and, hey while we’re at it, Jane Foster’s Thor!) And since Marvel has a habit of signing actors up for multiple movies (Wright will be appearing in Avengers: Infinity War at least), there’s every chance she’ll have a bigger role to play in the future. Be sure to let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

http://collider.com/black-panther-shuri-letitia-wright/#images

depends what your definition of Hero is...
we both call Cap a hero, and yet he went into nazi camps to take over and kill all the nazi leaders in order to free the people
He went on missions to achieve objectives, not necessarily to kill anyone

Like when he invited a stronghold to rescue Bucky

Plus nazi's are not innocent anyway

So many ppl gloss over how he killed his girl just to get to Klaw :rolleyes That's no hero

Do I still have to do spoilers?

I think in the comics Shuri assumes the BP mantle but the problem is the mcu version can't fight
Two vastly different characters. Don't expect the MCU version to do much of what the comic version has done or is doing.

MCU version is a great character and cool little sister but I prefer the comic version. She's badass beyond compare, way more fierce and ruthless plus now she's basically a demi god on some black woman magic steez.
Think the Captain Marvel movie will be the gauge used to determine what solo female movies the MCU does going forward. They have been very careful about taking L's in their lineup of pictures. To date WW has been the only hit female lead super hero movie. Although Marvel did not do the movie, Elektra was introduced in Daredevil and followed it up but only did less than a third of the BO.

Captain Marvel will be watched closely. Also how much will they prop it up with other heroes that folks will go to the movie just to see them. Lots of questions will be answered with that movie.

Antman and Wasp is like the stepping stone to Captain Marvel.
I see what you saying but it aint much to pack the CM movie with.

Fury is in it, maybe Pym, maybe agent Carter, maybe Robert Redford reprises his role, and thats it.

I honestly think the hype and support for Captain Marvel is gonna be one notch below the BP hype once we see the trailer or if she does show up at the end of Infinity War.

chadwick has a 5 movie deal.. not out the realm of possibility. but he will more than likely sign more.
I think BP's future in the MCU may have a lot to do with Marvel acquiring X men or not. The first thing people are going to want is Storm and BP... but Lupita herself probably doesn't want that (actress said this in an interview)
If we get the Illuminati. BP can still go to Shuri while BP is doing Illuminati / avenger stuff.
I dont know Marvel's whole thing now is more diversity, more heroes. They've been making this shift for about 10 years in the comic.
The movies will get there it will take some time. If We're all still alive we'll see it (maybe just speaking for myself.)
BP without a doubt is getting a trilogy. He'll probably sign another multi movie deal for the 3rd film and if they make BP a member of the Avengers.

BP2 probably coming out in 2020.

X-Men movies aint getting made for 4-5 years from now.

He went on missions to achieve objectives, not necessarily to kill anyone
Like when he invited a stronghold to rescue Bucky
Plus nazi's are not innocent anyway
You're missing the point.
Heroes have killed. and some people need killing. Cap has certainly killed people before, if not severely disfigured them with his strength.
Nazi's are innocent. but in the eyes of killmonger neither are the Wakandans.
The whole point of his rant, even Nakiris, is where would our people be had wakanda stepped in, had they not been hiding and not sharing. Dudes are flying Stark type technology in 96. before Ironman even became a thing, and it's also safe to assume they were far above Starks father tech even in the 50s. Wakanda may have not turned it's back on their own people, but turned their back on their continent. South Africa would be different, Congo, all the less fortunate countries. Aid could be administed to the rest of Africa.
Killmonger wanted to liberate black people. the same as cap wanting to liberate America's allies.

Just aesthetic differences though. Both give you the same athletic performance.
No it does not.

What the serum did to a puny Steve is not same as what the herb did to T'Challa.

Aesthetics matter since Steve gained 5 ft and 50 lbs of muscle.

Pretending they're the same cuz they now have similar abilities is not using your rational mind.

This film just reaffirmed that Marvel's direction is to make the stories more self contained and then have a big crossover event once a year like in the comics. I can see spiderman being the exception and his films always having another Marvel character cameo since he is Marvel's main hero. The crossover events won't necessarily be Avengers films either. Black Panther could have easily been an infinity war prep movie and he could have been chasing the Mcguffin that is an infinity gem. Thankful that Feige gave BP breathing room and had faith in audiences to still keep in the back of their head that infinity gems are out there but don't have to be in your face every film. More of a reason why I have BP, Homecoming and Ragnarok as my top 3.

You're missing the point.
Heroes have killed. and some people need killing. Cap has certainly killed people before, if not severely disfigured them with his strength.
Nazi's are innocent. but in the eyes of killmonger neither are the Wakandans.
The whole point of his rant, even Nakiris, is where would our people be had wakanda stepped in, had they not been hiding and not sharing. Dudes are flying Stark type technology in 96. before Ironman even became a thing, and it's also safe to assume they were far above Starks father tech even in the 50s. Wakanda may have not turned it's back on their own people, but turned their back on their continent. South Africa would be different, Congo, all the less fortunate countries. Aid could be administed to the rest of Africa.
Killmonger wanted to liberate black people. the same as cap wanting to liberate America's allies.
You confused me when you said Nazi's are innocent but I think that was a typo :lol:

There's been many villains who commit evil and claim that it's for a greater good, as if they're selfless, and he's no different.

His background was more sympathetic than most, but if he really cared about Wakanda he wouldn't have burned those flowers. He would've kept the flowers so future generations can have a king. If he was a hero he would do his best to spare innocent lives in pursuit of a goal, but he killed his girlfriend without a second thought.

Don't compare Cap to Killmonger. He'd never kill Peggy or Sharon to get to Red Skull, for example. He'd have given up his life before Wakanda loses those flowers.

There was no villain in this movie.

2 heroes. 2 different goals.

Damn shame they couldnt co-exist. Such is life in our community. Part of the social conditioning and engineering. The narrative that 'there can only be one'

No it does not.

What the serum did to a puny Steve is not same as what the herb did to T'Challa.

Aesthetics matter since Steve gained 5 ft and 50 lbs of muscle.

Pretending they're the same cuz they now have similar abilities is not using your rational mind.
In comics and in the mcu, there's no direct correlation between appearance and abilities. So appearance doesn't matter. A guy like Peter is punier than Steve but we know who is stronger.

In comics and in the mcu, there's no direct correlation between appearance and abilities. So appearance doesn't matter. A guy like Peter is punier than Steve but we know who is stronger.
I'm not simply talking about appearance.

I'm talking about a physical transformation.

And in the comics there is a direct correlation between physical transformation and abilities; see Hulk, see Juggernaut, see Thor, etc.

Peter Parker is not punier that Steve. He is leaner and that's for speed. Steve is more jacked but Peter is ripped.

Stop making stuff up.

Man listening to this score just got me falling in love with the movie all over again remembering the scenes the songs where played.

I love this ****

Man listening to this score just got me falling in love with the movie all over again remembering the scenes the songs where played.

I love this ****

I said the same thing. The soundtrack fueled my workout. Built like a wakandan warrior. On challenge day t'challa wouldve ran this fade. I would've bagged up all the village yambs.

I'm not simply talking about appearance.

I'm talking about a physical transformation.

And in the comics there is a direct correlation between physical transformation and abilities; see Hulk, see Juggernaut, see Thor, etc.

Peter Parker is not punier that Steve. He is leaner and that's for speed. Steve is more jacked but Peter is ripped.

Stop making stuff up.
Ok. So are you saying that Cap is stronger than BP then? That is what your argument is leading to. I don't see the evidence. They appear to be in the same class of ability and strength.

I don't understand why you are bringing transformation into the equation when in the end I am just comparing strength and ability. That's all I was ever comparing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom