WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

This is the natural reaction. No one's trying to take away or demean Black Panther's success or say 'y'all gave them this, what about us.'.

i think the second part of your statement is the first part, the natural reaction

nobody clamored for a movie after proud mary came out

but its the success of BP and seeing black people rally around it that makes people question "where's mine?"

Dominicans are black though :nerd:
tumblr_p4o1pteNSJ1sv0kh6o1_540.jpg

Using a lack of excitement after Proud Mary which has a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes in a discussion about Black Panther? You don't see how one inspired millions of black and brown people and the other came and went? You don't see the difference in the content? In showing an African royal family? In having such strong female characters? In tackling the discussion around fatherless boys growing up in impoverished neighborhoods?

And your argument is that no one asked for a Latina action star after Proud Mary? Don't be disingenuous. You know the difference, man.:lol::smh:

Using a lack of excitement after Proud Mary which has a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes in a discussion about Black Panther? You don't see how one inspired millions of black and brown people and the other came and went? You don't see the difference in the content? In showing an African royal family? In having such strong female characters? In tackling the discussion around fatherless boys growing up in impoverished neighborhoods?

And your argument is that no one asked for a Latina action star after Proud Mary? Don't be disingenuous. You know the difference, man.:lol::smh:

i could say the same things about proud mary, strong female character, fatherless boy

pm didnt have the fanfare bp did but the basis for representation isnt based off the success of the movie right?

the reason they didnt ask for one is because a) black women are not societally as low on the totem pole as black men and b) they have had colombiana, everly etc

the difference i see is of who is "allowed" to be celebrated and what it means for others to see the "celebration"

Gamora is an alien but Zoe Saldana is Puerto Rican/Dominican. Ghost Rider in Agents of Shield is Mexican, Darwin from First Class is supposed to be Latino.

The closest Latinos have now is Miles Morales, half Black/half PR. Although I think it's lame that they made him from Brooklyn. Spider-Man will always be from Queens, FOH Marvel.

I'm Dominican, I like the idea of a superhero that Latinos can look up to but will it ever feel right? Latinos are too diverse. It'll turn into "well, we have a Mexican hero", "now we need a Puerto Rican hero", "now we need a Colombian hero".
Closest you’ll get lol

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/America_Chavez_(Utopian_Parallel)

i could say the same things about proud mary, strong female character, fatherless boy

pm didnt have the fanfare bp did but the basis for representation isnt based off the success of the movie right?

the reason they didnt ask for one is because a) black women are not societally as low on the totem pole as black men and b) they have had colombiana, everly etc

the difference i see is of who is "allowed" to be celebrated and what it means for others to see the "celebration"
Not at all, but the quality of the film determines whether or not people even talk about it.

This is a different type of representation in that we have yet to have a superhero film. We've seen other action films with black female leads, so this isn't some groundbreaking monumental movie. The compairson is inherently flawed in that a good amount of people didn't even know it was coming. The marketing for this Proud Mary film was damn near nonexistent. You're realistic expectation is for people to react similarly to Proud Mary as they did to Black Panther. You have to know that's a flawed argument.

And yo bring it to the issue of black women when Black Panther made placing black women on a pedestal a priority? What are we even talking about anymore?

I think you should take a close look at why other groups asking for the same type of equality makes you feel like people are imposing on you. Everyone's just trying to get what they deserve. The narrative that people just want to take from Black people is a terrible way to go about life. White people are definitely out to get you/us, but black and brown folks should be supporting one another in this.

Amazon truck is offering a Avengers IW Funko Pop 2-Pack today. Comes with Iron Man & Spidey.

I think you should take a close look at why other groups asking for the same type of equality makes you feel like people are imposing on you. Everyone's just trying to get what they deserve. The narrative that people just want to take from Black people is a terrible way to go about life. White people are definitely out to get you/us, but black and brown folks should be supporting one another in this.

its not thats its imposing its more so like demeaning in that its only cuz BP is so successful

like you said pm came and went not a peep

but now bp poppin everyone knows they need a movie too

like if it was other people wanting what they deserve then BP shouldnt have been what made them aware

black/brown SHOULD support but the fact is it doesnt always happen

but when panthero negrito comes out ppl gonna expect black ppl to support right?

I was about to say that marvel aren't doing out of continuity movies anytime soon, but then I realize I'm forgetting that there's a chance the next phase is going to be about multiverses

his question was totally reasonable.

Marvel Latino superher roster is pretty wack...none comes to mind other than X-men like Forge or Sunspot.

EDIT.

Ill say Miss America is probably the best one.
Cosign.

I give it some thought and there's an argument for Marvel having better Asian characters that could helm a solo or consist ofna team movie.

If you go by the alphabet hard to find a b-list Latino Marvel hero.

Before Disney doing their own streaming service I really thought the White Tiger was gonna get a series given the name drop.
Nova should have been integrated in GotG someway, wasn't he hispanic or at least half?
The child Nova is half Hispanic.
i think the second part of your statement is the first part, the natural reaction

nobody clamored for a movie after proud mary came out

but its the success of BP and seeing black people rally around it that makes people question "where's mine?"
Cuz Proud Mary wasn't watched by many.

Your point is either pointless orgies without saying.
The closest Latinos have now is Miles Morales, half Black/half PR. Although I think it's lame that they made him from Brooklyn. Spider-Man will always be from Queens, FOH Marvel
Wait so you're saying every version of Spidey no matter whonis under the mask needs to be from Queens? :lol:

Bump that. BROOKLYN KEEPS ON TAKING IT! :pimp:

Last edited:
I looked up Proud Mary and I couldn't get through the synopsis without getting bored.

I'm all for representation but the premise of the movie still has to be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom