WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

No, I’m dead serious. I feel like Lee and Kirby did a great job for representation when making these character in racist 60’s America. Trying to reinterpret their characters with a more diverse roster is trying to find fault in what they did. As a black kid growing up in Queens, I never once looked at Peter Parker and wished he was black. I never saw color. He was me regardless. Same when I saw the Human Torch, or I saw Hulk. Make or promote new diverse characters like Blue Marvel. Don’t try and cram in POC in iconic roles just to play it “safe”

But they outnumber us, now.

So you guys are saying you want a movie set in the 2035? Cuz that's how it got to be if you want to use Tony's daughter...

:rolleyes

Yeaaaa, that's not happening.

:lol: at 'I don't see color' When I hear that I think of the girl in this skit

Don't be like her

Reactions: wr
Homeboy said 'I never saw color.':rofl:

To each his own.

Spider-Man was my favorite character growing up. Seeing Into the Spider-Verse had me welling up. I can only imagine kids growing up with that representation today.

That scene that highlighted all the Marvel female chatacters gave me chills. It's nice to see a change from the norm and know that groups who have felt left out at times are getting their moments.
Don't take what Lame said out of context.
How do you take that out of context? Explain to me how with context this isn't a pretty closed minded and anecdotal perspective that doesn't apply to everyone.

Avengers: Endgame is Being Called Out For Doing "The Bare Minimum" With First Gay Character

https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/avengers-endgame-first-gay-character-backlash/

People are dragging Avengers: Endgame for its lack of LGBTQ representation.

Avengers: Endgame has broken every record going since its release. The film, which came out on Friday (April 26), has already taken $1.2 billion dollars at the box office globally, making it the biggest worldwide debut of all time.

The film was also notable for introducing Marvel's first openly gay character. As many noted, the inclusion was long overdue after some 20+ movies. But some fans are disappointed because the character's role was so small.

***Minor spoilers ahead ***

upload_2019-5-1_11-17-32.png

Avengers: Endgame First Gay Character / Joe Russo. Picture: Walt Disney Studios / Getty

As you know, Avengers: Infinity War ended with Thanos snapping his finger and decimating half the population of the known universe and inspired a million memes in the process.

In Avengers: Endgame, a minor character who attends a support group is grappling with the aftermath of Thanos' snap. He discusses going on a recent date with another man in which they both got emotional over their snapped loved ones. The character is played by Joe Russo, one half of the film's Russo Brothers directing duo.

Speaking to Deadline, Joe Russo expanded on the significance of the character. “Representation is really important. It was important to us as we did four of these films, we wanted a gay character somewhere in them. We felt it was important that one of us play him, to ensure the integrity and show it is so important to the filmmakers that one of us is representing that."

While this is the first gay character in the films, there have been a number of LGBTQ characters on the small screen, including Jeri Hogarth on Jessica Jones and Joey Gutierrez on Agents of SHIELD. Tessa Thompson also revealed that a scene was cut from Thor: Ragnarok that referenced Valkyrie's bisexuality.

While the inclusion of the character is a positive step forward, many are calling out the film's creators for doing the bare minimum because they didn't give the character a name and only gave him a few lines.

While there was obviously a lot of story to fit into one film (poor Katherine Langford's character didn't even appear in the film), some felt it was a wasted opportunity to introduce a new gay superhero into the franchise.

Others have been more supportive.

https://twitter.com/tymcsilva/statu...vengers-endgame-first-gay-character-backlash/

https://twitter.com/andy_samuelson/...vengers-endgame-first-gay-character-backlash/

As reported by Variety, Marvel producer Victoria Alonso has also called for a gay superhero. “I’m so passionate about this, I’ve got to tell you. Our entire success is based on people that are incredibly different. Why wouldn’t we? Why would we only want to be recognized by only one type of person? Our audience is global, is diverse, is inclusive. If we don’t do it that way for them, we will fail.”

There are rumours that the studio is looking for a queer lead character for upcoming production The Eternals, so lets hope that comes through for the LGBTQ representation that is so badly needed.

If marvel does what I think they're going to do, the next couple of years is going to be annoying. There's going to be loud segment of fans crying about 'forced diversity' and that will get old quick

Just picture a thousand of Lames all over the internet.
So you mean, a bunch of you's all over the internet.

How do you take that out of context? Explain to me how with context this isn't a pretty closed minded and anecdotal perspective that doesn't apply to everyone.

Because in a vacuum you and others are saying that you didn’t appreciate Spider-Man until a Black and Hispanic kid portrayed him. So no one of color can truly like Captain America or Tony Stark? Ironically, I picked up comics to escape the real world. Colorism included.

Because in a vacuum you and others are saying that you didn’t appreciate Spider-Man until a Black and Hispanic kid portrayed him. So no one of color can truly like Captain America or Tony Stark? Ironically, I picked up comics to escape the real world. Colorism included.
Not at all what I said, that's an implication you assumed.

I appreciated and enjoyed Spider-Man growing up, too...but through the prism of someone with the type of family and life I couldn't completely relate to.

You can certainly enjoy anything, even if it doesn't speak to your personal experience, but it's another level when you see your favorite character going home to his Hispanic mother and Black father, and that's exactly how you grew up. It's a level of appreciation that white kids, who have been predominantly the represented class in most entertainment have had for as long as they can remember. I'm cool with shifting a few characters so that everyone can enjoy these movies the way certain groups have been able to forever.

And that's my personal opinion on anecdotal story, but it seems most people agree. People finding genuine joy in some of these moments. I'm not sure what benefit there is to pushing back against that.

Really, none of this makes sense.

At all.

Not even a little bit.

Asking for more representation does not = disliking or not appreciating white characters

You can choose to ignore the inherent differences people have in this world ('I don't see color') but just know it makes you look like you want to keep yourself in a bubble like the white girl in the skit a couple of posts above you

Not at all what I said, that's an implication you assumed.

I appreciated and enjoyed Spider-Man growing up, too...but through the prism of someone with the type of family and life I couldn't completely relate to.

You can certainly enjoy anything, even if it doesn't speak to your personal experience, but it's another level when you see your favorite character going home to his Hispanic mother and Black father, and that's exactly how you grew up. It's a level of appreciation that white kids, who have been predominantly the represented class in most entertainment have had for as long as they can remember. I'm cool with shifting a few characters so that everyone can enjoy these movies the way certain groups have been able to forever.

And that's my personal opinion on anecdotal story, but it seems most people agree. People finding genuine joy in some of these moments. I'm not sure what benefit there is to pushing back against that.
Well said!

There's a difference between something (character/story) naturally happening as opposed to it being as a result to appease certain "political" crowds. I don't like feeling donated to.

So...cap went back and was able to return the stones in stone forms back to the way they found them (meaning back as a tesseract, back into Jane foster...back to vormier?) Hard to believe

Also, coming out with a black widow movie but she’s dead now...so.... prequel? Kind of weird if you ask me. Unless the hulk is obsessed with bringing Nat back and the movie is about them going into vormier to do what they can get bring her back??

we talking new characters.. i wanna see:

198697989ecd3c259df16d999814d316d7ac4ebb_hq.jpg

and as i've stated previously, i wanna see richard rider or probably sam alexander

I always joke that this guy is Hollywood’s go-to Asian actor when Martial Arts isn’t involved in the role but if they go that route, they’re seriously gonna de-age dude judging by that art.

31484ACE-6475-4E83-879C-3D9340D80C68.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom