WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

Def need more Wanda vs Hulk. Where was Thor though? Thought he would’ve showed up unless he got taken out at Wakanda

I think his story went the same way that it did in IW…So he doesn’t know what’s going on with earth…At that point he’s out getting Stormbreaker…Going to assume he shows up right after that Thanos tease…

I think his story went the same way that it did in IW…So he doesn’t know what’s going on with earth…At that point he’s out getting Stormbreaker…Going to assume he shows up right after that Thanos tease…

he about to rainbow road into Wakanda and immediately be overtaken by high tech powered warrior zombies :lol:

I’d like to think some of these stories are going to get revisited in future seasons but who knows…Pretty much all of them have been cliffhanger endings so far…

As the Doctor Strange sequel nears release, Cumberbatch has watched the legal battle between Scarlett Johansson and Disney over Black Widow‘s simultaneous release on Disney+ and in theaters. In July, Johansson filed a lawsuit alleging the media giant breached her contract with the hybrid rollout, which deprived her of salary that was to be based largely on box office. Disney responded with an eyebrow-raising statement calling Johansson’s suit “especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” stating that she had already made $20 million. “It’s sad what’s going on between the lawyers,” Cumberbatch says. “Just the verbiage and the accusations of, ‘Put it in a global pandemic context.’ The whole thing’s just a bit of a mess. We’re trying to understand what the revenue streams should be for artists that contribute to the billion-dollar business that is Disney. And it has to be contractualized. How does an artist’s normal compensation with box office bonuses, how does it work? It’s a new paradigm, and it’s a very complex one. No one saw this coming, and no one should use hindsight to say, ‘Well, it should have been done.’ That was the first of these films that was going to get a cinematic release during the pandemic and got stalled and stalled and stalled. It’s very new territory.”

While he was in New Zealand shooting The Power of the Dog, Cumberbatch got a call from Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who told him Marvel was replacing Scott Derrickson, who had directed and co-written the 2016 Doctor Strange movie, over creative differences on the sequel. “I was sad to hear about it, but that was not my decision,” Cumberbatch says. “I completely respected the studio’s decision, and it was done very amicably. The grown-ups called and just talked me through it. And that was that.” Sam Raimi, who directed the three Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies of the early aughts, was brought on board.

“He was an assured pair of hands, who knew that world,” Cumberbatch says. “He’s got certain Raimi traits. The smashed-zoom close-up. The mixture of just on the level of horror and just on the level of camp. There’s fun in there, but there should be some real thrills as well.” Raimi encouraged Cumberbatch to improvise. “With the first film, you’re always locked into a script, because it’s the origin story,” he says. “But there was a lot more freedom this time around. I guess, because we were … not literally making it up as we go along, but sometimes it feels like that. Marvel has this amazing ability to come into production: ‘We really just have to start shooting now. It doesn’t matter that the third act is not quite where you want it to be.’ You really do things on a wing and a prayer sometimes.”

Cumberbatch says he developed a comfort with improv on Marvel productions while making Avengers: Infinity War in 2018, watching Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Holland riff. In that film, in a scene where he and Downey’s Iron Man are bickering about how to save the universe, Cumberbatch ended up improvising one tonally pivotal word. When Iron Man asks, “What exactly is your job, besides making balloon animals?” Doctor Strange answers, “It’s protecting your reality, douchebag.”

Says Cumberbatch, “I remember on the set when I called him a douchebag, there was this sort of ripple effect. ‘Oh my God. Did you just call Iron Man a douchebag?’ They kept it, good for them. And then, it got the same kind of response at the cinema. I was just … I got bored of being compared to Liberace or whatever other retorts the guy with the same camp goatee had opposite me, so I tried to knock him down. It’s great fun to play with that stuff. You find your feet. The more times you do it, the more familiar it becomes.”

The Doctor Strange sequel shot in London during the height of the pandemic in late 2020 and early 2021. “I lost count of how many lockdowns we actually filmed through,” Cumberbatch says. “With this government-approved gold standard testing and tracing and temperature taking and PCR and lateral flow tests. But it worked. And 500-plus crew came back after Christmas, and there was not one single positive test. We never stopped it. I got taken off, because of someone near me getting a false positive. But that was it. People made such sacrifices. Some of their children were going to school, and they weren’t necessarily going to be sleeping in the same part of the house, or even in the same house. I was really, really blown away by that.”

This past fall, Cumberbatch arrived in Atlanta to shoot Doctor Strange’s scenes in Spider-Man: No Way Home, in which his character casts a spell that will make the world forget Holland’s Peter Parker is a superhero. “There’s a close relationship,” Cumberbatch says of Strange and Spider-Man. “They’re neighborhood superheroes, and they’ve had an experience or two. They’ve got history. It might be the case that Peter asks me to help him do something? I think I’m allowed to say that much. I help him fill in his tax returns. That’s what I do.”

More I think about it the better fit is Raimi's style for a nearly blank canvas like Dr. Strange. There are no overbearing definitive takes on the character so he can pretty much do his own thing within reason.

Can someone explain something to me

why do the ten rings look so different in the comics than Shang chi?
these look like bracelets in the movie and while in the comics they are actual rings. The powers are different too

Watching What if makes me think of what could have been with the animated Guardian's of the Galaxy show and other Marvel animated stuff.

Same with Agents of Shield if it got the streaming service stimulus package.

these look like bracelets in the movie and while in the comics they are actual rings. The powers are different too

theres video clips of them talking about the changes from the comics I can’t remember all of them but iirc one of the reasons was to separate them from the infinity stones

short answer, they didnt want to be similar to the infinity gauntlet/infinity stones

the long answer…

HOW MARVEL REMADE SHANG-CHI’S TEN RINGS
Across Marvel’s vast comic-book universe, the Mandarin has received several origins. But the basics stay the same: A descendant of Genghis Khan, the Mandarin finds ten powerful rings in the spaceship of a dragon alien from the planet Maklu IV. The Mandarin takes the rings for himself, using them to amass power and influence throughout the criminal underworld.

In the comics, the Ten Rings are ten unique finger rings, each with their own colors and abilities. That idea makes them strikingly similar to the Infinity Stones, which Marvel had spent 11 years building its films around as Shang-Chi entered pre-production.

“We were making this movie as Avengers: Endgame’s marketing was ramping up,” explains Shang-Chi screenwriter Dave Callaham. He says producer Jonathan Schwartz asked for the Ten Rings to feel unlike Endgame’s all-powerful bling, for those working on the film to “do something unique and different.”

Callaham explains that Schwartz said, “Listen, we can’t have these be finger rings. No more knuckle jewelry. We’re gonna be sick of knuckle jewelry. We need to change it.”

And change the rings they did. The MCU’s version of the Ten Rings ditch those vibrant colors and many of the powers they possessed in the comics, turning them into a unified weapon of uncertain origin. (Callaham says the MCU may one day explain where the Ten Rings came from, but not yet.)

They are also no longer finger rings, but iron training rings worn typically by practitioners of Shaolin kung fu disciplines like Hung Gar. As further explained here, iron rings are used for weight training, strengthening arms and fists by hardening muscle, skin, and bone.

Iron rings are also a staple weapon in kung fu movies; they’re seen in the 1978 Shaw Brothers classic The 36th Chamber of Shaolin starring Gordon Liu. Both Callaham and director Cretton tell Inverse that The 36th Chamber, as well as Stephen Chow’s cult classic comedy Kung Fu Hustle, released in 2004, inspired the Ten Rings’ transformation into Shaolin iron rings.

“We just knew we didn’t want to keep them on the fingers,” Cretton tells Inverse. “The 36th Chamber was one of the big inspirations, [and] also Kung Fu Hustle, another great movie that used those weapons. It was through brainstorming while watching these movies that [it] clicked and made sense.”

Additionally, “Marvel is an incredible, collaborative experience,” Callaham says. On top of creatives like Callaham, Destin Daniel Cretton, co-writer Andrew Lanham, and producers Jonathan Schwartz and Kevin Feige, “you start bringing in department heads and fight choreographers,” and suddenly “ideas are coming out of everywhere,” according to the scribe.

“The way Marvel works, every project is assigned to a small conference room,” says Callaham. “Every day you just go in there and spitball ideas. All your secrets could be on the wall, and you wouldn’t have to worry about people coming in and out. You start to amass story notes, but also imagery and still shots and pictures of mythological creatures that start to inform the movie.”

A still frame of actor Chiu Chi-ling, a real Hung Gar master who wears iron rings in Kung Fu Hustle, was one of many reference pictures hanging on the wall for the Shang-Chi team.

“We all looked at [that picture] and said, ‘What about that?’” Callaham recalls, with regard to the specific inspiration for the Ten Rings. “I don’t think we had to ask [Marvel head honcho] Kevin [Feige]. The minute it got said out loud, it was so obviously cool and different and set us apart that it was the obvious choice.”

Adds Callaham: “Finger jewelry is great, but it’s not specifically Asian. The imagery of iron rings is unmistakably martial arts. Immediately, you know you’re dealing with something more thought-out and more specific.”

short answer, they didnt want to be similar to the infinity gauntlet/infinity stones

the long answer…

HOW MARVEL REMADE SHANG-CHI’S TEN RINGS
Across Marvel’s vast comic-book universe, the Mandarin has received several origins. But the basics stay the same: A descendant of Genghis Khan, the Mandarin finds ten powerful rings in the spaceship of a dragon alien from the planet Maklu IV. The Mandarin takes the rings for himself, using them to amass power and influence throughout the criminal underworld.

In the comics, the Ten Rings are ten unique finger rings, each with their own colors and abilities. That idea makes them strikingly similar to the Infinity Stones, which Marvel had spent 11 years building its films around as Shang-Chi entered pre-production.

“We were making this movie as Avengers: Endgame’s marketing was ramping up,” explains Shang-Chi screenwriter Dave Callaham. He says producer Jonathan Schwartz asked for the Ten Rings to feel unlike Endgame’s all-powerful bling, for those working on the film to “do something unique and different.”

Callaham explains that Schwartz said, “Listen, we can’t have these be finger rings. No more knuckle jewelry. We’re gonna be sick of knuckle jewelry. We need to change it.”

And change the rings they did. The MCU’s version of the Ten Rings ditch those vibrant colors and many of the powers they possessed in the comics, turning them into a unified weapon of uncertain origin. (Callaham says the MCU may one day explain where the Ten Rings came from, but not yet.)

They are also no longer finger rings, but iron training rings worn typically by practitioners of Shaolin kung fu disciplines like Hung Gar. As further explained here, iron rings are used for weight training, strengthening arms and fists by hardening muscle, skin, and bone.

Iron rings are also a staple weapon in kung fu movies; they’re seen in the 1978 Shaw Brothers classic The 36th Chamber of Shaolin starring Gordon Liu. Both Callaham and director Cretton tell Inverse that The 36th Chamber, as well as Stephen Chow’s cult classic comedy Kung Fu Hustle, released in 2004, inspired the Ten Rings’ transformation into Shaolin iron rings.

“We just knew we didn’t want to keep them on the fingers,” Cretton tells Inverse. “The 36th Chamber was one of the big inspirations, [and] also Kung Fu Hustle, another great movie that used those weapons. It was through brainstorming while watching these movies that [it] clicked and made sense.”

Additionally, “Marvel is an incredible, collaborative experience,” Callaham says. On top of creatives like Callaham, Destin Daniel Cretton, co-writer Andrew Lanham, and producers Jonathan Schwartz and Kevin Feige, “you start bringing in department heads and fight choreographers,” and suddenly “ideas are coming out of everywhere,” according to the scribe.

“The way Marvel works, every project is assigned to a small conference room,” says Callaham. “Every day you just go in there and spitball ideas. All your secrets could be on the wall, and you wouldn’t have to worry about people coming in and out. You start to amass story notes, but also imagery and still shots and pictures of mythological creatures that start to inform the movie.”

A still frame of actor Chiu Chi-ling, a real Hung Gar master who wears iron rings in Kung Fu Hustle, was one of many reference pictures hanging on the wall for the Shang-Chi team.

“We all looked at [that picture] and said, ‘What about that?’” Callaham recalls, with regard to the specific inspiration for the Ten Rings. “I don’t think we had to ask [Marvel head honcho] Kevin [Feige]. The minute it got said out loud, it was so obviously cool and different and set us apart that it was the obvious choice.”

Adds Callaham: “Finger jewelry is great, but it’s not specifically Asian. The imagery of iron rings is unmistakably martial arts. Immediately, you know you’re dealing with something more thought-out and more specific.”
Ah makes sense thanks

I’m watching thedr strange what if and first 10 mins all I’m thinking is the DMV needs to revoke stranges license 😂

As usual with some things they completely changed the macguffin that gives you powers.

If they kept the powers the same on top of being a 4000 year old martial arts master I don't see how the Mandarin would lose.

Same with Shang-Chi having it.

Its kinda like how the soul stone really didn't display any of its powers when it showed up or the mind stone being underutilized.

As usual with some things they completely changed the macguffin that gives you powers.

If they kept the powers the same on top of being a 4000 year old martial arts master I don't see how the Mandarin would lose.

Same with Shang-Chi having it.

Its kinda like how the soul stone really didn't display any of its powers when it showed up or the mind stone being underutilized.

don’t sleep on home court advantage, remember moms had the edge in Ta’Lo too. Shang chi had the elements powering him.

damn, we were robbed of milana as squirrel girl?

1631159107406.jpeg

1631159124980.jpeg

damn, we were robbed of milana as squirrel girl?

1631159107406.jpeg

1631159124980.jpeg

Wait did you really not know she was cast as Squirrel Girl? That was the only reason New Warriors was noteworthy.

I knew they were going with the reality TV show angle but didn't know it was just going to be "proudly gay". There were a few shows that only got a pilot that got shelved.

i knewshe was cast but i didnt know it went to shoot a pilot and then she voiced squirrel girl on the cartoon so i thought it was just that, project just disappeared and never even knew it got that far

i didnt know they had more than just casting news and then got shot down, we see and hear a lot about casting and going nowhere

I remember the pilot was shot cuz at the time some involved kept talking about ot and were still hoping against hope the characters could crossover with Cloak and Dagger or more specifically The Runaways at the time.

On another note, all of these good What If episodes are depressing as **** (except for one). This whole thing has such a dark take :lol: Its funny cuz I don't remember this kind of reaction reading my What If? comics. Even when most ppl died in the stories.

Also how did zombie Thanos get the time stone? Did zombie Strange willingly give it up?

Back
Top Bottom