WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - Deadpool & Wolverine = 07/26/24

Laura Harrier And Tony Revolori In Talks To Join Diverse Cast Of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

The cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming continues to grow, and Peter Parker now has two more classmates. First up is relative unknown Laura Harrier. Best known for starring in One Life to Live, The Wrap doesn't have any details on who the actress is playing, and there obviously any number of possibilities so we can't really hazard any guesses here! How about Mary Jane Watson?!

However, Tony Revolori's role may be a tad easier to figure out. The Grand Budapest Hotel and Dope star isn't going to be a villain, but Deadline states that he WILL be Peter Parker's high school nemesis. That sounds an awful lot like Flash Thompson, don't you think? However, The Wrap's Jeff Sneider mentions that he's playing Peter's friend Manuel, while also revealing that Marvel are looking to cast a second supporting villain who will be played by a non-white actor.

View media item 1996582

I thought those two would be his shield team classmates like that spiderman cartoon they have now.

^Hmm, I actually hadn't thought of that. But damn I hope not, because I don't care for that cartoon at all :lol:

Phase 3's about to be the GOAT of this franchise :smokin

Pretty good review of Civil War

Back in 2008, Marvel Studios released two movies, which were their first in-house film projects. The first Iron Man was a surprise success that was bolstered by an instantly iconic performance from Robert Downey Jr., while The Incredible Hulk was only a moderate hit that never ended up receiving a sequel. Although it was established that these two films existed in the same reality, the idea of developing a cinematic universe had not been attempted for almost seventy years, with the first one being the crossovers featured in the classic Universal Monsters series. Despite Marvel's early success, no one really had any idea if the “Marvel Cinematic Universe”, as it was called, was going to end up being more than a failed experiment. Eight years later, not only has the MCU become a successful franchise, it's the premiere entertainment enterprise of the modern cinematic age.
Regardless of any issues that certain fans may have with individual films or creative decisions, there is no denying the staying power of the Marvel movies, and how they have irreversibly changed the film industry. We now live in a time where developing a continuing storyline not just within one trilogy, but between interwoven narrative arcs across multiple franchises that coalesce into a greater whole is a feasible concept, and where top shelf actors are hired for film contracts that can go up to nine instalments. Kevin Feige spoke the truth when he said that a greater ensemble of characters, actors and stories has never been assembled in film history, and the sheer volume of material that Marvel Studios can deliver without slowing down is perhaps their greatest strength.

The reason I am bringing all of this up is because Captain America: Civil War is a movie that proves that not only does the MCU work, but that a story like this could not have been told without the exponential increase in narrative output that Marvel has created. This is the thirteenth film in the franchise, and it truly does feel like it, because many of the characters involved are people who the audience has gotten the chance to know and love over multiple years. The Avengers have been established, were brought together by the threat of a god from another dimension, went their separate ways, were forced to deconstruct their worldviews by a megalomaniacal artificial intelligence, and now, their relationships to each other are being tested by the greatest crisis they've ever faced. Without seeing the journeys for all of these characters over so many films, much of the emotional impact of Civil War would have been lost, and the film's story is a testament to the narrative power of the MCU.
The film opens a while after Avengers: Age of Ultron, with Captain America leading the New Avengers as they hunt down Crossbones, who has been embarking on a terrorism spree. The hunt for the supervillain leads them to Lagos, Nigeria, but the battle goes south when over a dozen civilians are killed. This proves to be the last straw for many of the governments of the world, who have witnessed civilians die in the Battle of New York, the fall of SHIELD in Washington, D.C., and the Battle of Sokovia. 117 countries draw up the Sokovia Accords, which would make the Avengers sanctioned agents of the United Nations who would only be allowed to use their powers when given approval from a committee. Driven by guilt because of his role in creating Ultron, Tony Stark approves of the decision, while Steve stands against it, with the rest of the Avengers choosing sides. Matters are complicated by the arrival of the Wakandan prince known as Black Panther, the return of the Winter Soldier, and the master plan of an enigmatic enemy named Zemo, who may just be the most devastating threat the Avengers have ever faced.

Make no mistake, there is a lot going on in Captain America: Civil War. There are more major characters in play here than in Age of Ultron, but the film is also clearly a Captain America story, and not an Avengers one. The Avengers are present, and they have important roles to play, but the focus is almost always on Steve's journey, and the way that he reacts to the events that are transpiring around him. His relationships with Bucky and Sharon Carter receive more development this time around, and the interactions he has had with his fellow Avengers in the past informs much of the character work in this film. Not surprisingly, the most critical relationship is the one between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, which is one of real tragedy and fallen friendship. These are not enemies who are trying to kill each other, but rather comrades forged in the fire of battle who are forced into a situation where neither one wants to hurt the other, but neither can they back down. This emotional core drives the entire conflict of the story, and makes this possibly the most personal narrative in the franchise.
Mouse over video for audio
The film's ability to balance so many characters at once is a testament to the strength of the script, which deftly manages to move the story along at a brisk pace while also giving almost every character a small emotional arc. If this is the type of writing and direction that can be expected of the Russo Brothers when they handle films with large ensembles, then Infinity War is truly in the best of hands. Of course, the directors are helped by the incredibly talented cast, with nearly everyone at the very top of their game. Chris Evans is still the embodiment of Steve Rogers, and Robert Downey Jr. manages to bring genuine pain to his portrayal of Tony Stark, who has evolved a great deal from the frivolous billionaire playboy that he was in the first Iron Man. The rest of the Avengers also fill out their roles quite well (with Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch being particularly strong), with each and every one getting a moment to shine.

There are also multiple new players, and they're all winners. Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther brings a persona of regal responsibility but also cynical rage, creating a character who will likely be very much a fan-favourite as the franchise moves forward. Tom Holland as Spider-Man is simply perfect. It is a modern miracle that, with less than twenty minutes of screentime, Holland has become the best live-action interpretation of Spider-Man we have ever seen. Daniel Bruhl is excellent as Zemo, who is a very unexpected but also very effective villain who enhances the tension between Steve and Tony in a smart way. He has a sense of understated malice and a very personal stake in the conflict, and it will likely take multiple viewings to fully appreciate the complexity of the minimalist villain that Bruhl has created. All three are definite highlights, and I can't wait to see them all return in the future.
As expected, there are quite a few action sequences in Civil War, and they all manage to showcase the individual skills and powers of each character involved while also feeling like necessary parts of the narrative. The opening battle with Crossbones is brutal and bone-crunching, a highway chase involving Captain America, Black Panther and the Winter Soldier moves at terminal velocity, and the gargantuan battle between Team Cap and Team Iron Man at an airport is undoubtedly the single greatest action sequence ever put into a comic book film. However, the most emotionally affecting action scene is the final confrontation, and while I do not want to give away any details of what happens, it's the most powerful climax in the MCU because the scale is so small, but the personal stakes for the people involved are enormous.

Despite everything the film accomplishes, there are still a few minor issues. A certain character decision regarding Black Panther feels like a missed opportunity, a couple characters who didn't appear really should have, and the musical score doesn't leave much of an impression. None of that changes that Captain America: Civil War is the greatest achievement so far in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and while much of that is thanks to the people involved in making the film, the importance of all of the films leading up to it cannot be understated. A movie like this could simply not exist without the cinematic universe to support it, and there is no doubt that the plot developments here will have dire ramifications on that universe going forward.
If this is the level of quality we can expect from the rest of Phase Three, then we're in for one hell of a ride.
[\quote]

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/capta.../drdoom-reviews-captain-america-civil-a138612

Why does no one care that Movie Tony Stark's personality has nothing to do with comic book Tony?

They might as well be two different people.

Last edited:
Why does no one care that Movie Tony Stark's personality has nothing to do with comic book Tony?

They're both genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. All that matters.

Last edited:
Cuz comic Tony is buns. No personality. You can say that about Bats, but that foo low key be roasting foos :lol:

If marvel had Hans Zimmer :wow: :wow:
I'm happy he's no longer doing superhero flicks.

I feel like he's been getting overrated as of late. As much as I'm a fan that's what's been the last few movies.

Cuz movie Tony is more entertaining and likable than comic Tony.

Plus the Iron Man comic fan base was never that big to begin with.

Last edited:

I feel like he's been getting overrated as of late. As much as I'm a fan that's what's been the last few movies.

So its cool to change the spirit of a character as long as the masses like it?

Hmmmmm

Did we forget the first time we saw RDJ as Tony Stark? Did we forget what he brought in the first Iron Man? He changed the game. There's a reason it's taken this long to be brought up. Meanwhile questions were asked, jimmies were rustled day one on this new branding Batfleck. :lol:

Last edited:
Did we forget the first time we saw RDJ as Tony Stark? Did we forget what he brought in the first Iron Man? He changed the game. There's a reason it's taken this long to be brought up. Meanwhile questions were asked, jimmies were rustled day one on this new branding Batfleck. :lol:

Batfleck is a great Bruce Wayne though.

Hmmmmm
No it's cool to change it if it's better.

Hmmmmm
Jack Nicholson's joker was adored, as was Heath ledger's. Hell, Adam West's Batman is STILL on TV today for a reason. Detective Comics' Batman took decades to become the "Dark Knight"* that some want to pretend he always was.

So I'd say, yeah, pretty much.

thanks to former Marvel writers, ironically

Currently watching the first Spiderman film. As much as a **** on the Raimi trilogy (deservingly) this movie has aged pretty well. Casting was all over the place. Tobey Maguire is the definition of a herb, Willam Dafoe clearly only read Jekyll and Hyde to prepare for his role and Kirsten Dunst with the screen presence of an unrolled condom is very funny by today's standards but still alluring. Not a fan of Rami's tone but he was the first to bring this character on the silver screen. I remember watching this film opening day in theaters. Wow how time flies. Spiderman with all his amazing friends in the next few weeks is a long time coming.

tumblr_inline_nooj5aHQDv1qm55py_500.gif

This will definitely be my son's Halloween costume this year

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom