WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - Deadpool & Wolverine = 07/26/24

James Gunn
23 hrs ·
Facebook Mentions ·

I've spent the past two and a half years making a film - probably a good 95% of my non-sleeping life during that time - and sometimes it seems it all comes down to these few weeks of release in theaters. Let me tell you, it's harrowing.

The movie is doing incredibly all over the world - up nearly fifty percent over the first film in most territories, and a breakout hit in countries where it didn't do as well the first time around (hi, Korea!)

I'm exceptionally proud of how well it's doing in the countries I've visited and where I've made many friends the past few years - Thailand, Brazil, Colombia, Russia, the UK. You've all welcomed me into your countries and I'm a better person for my interactions with you.

So, as we open up around the world, I would be lying if I said I don't get distracted by the numbers. The first thing I do in the morning is roll over in bed and check my phone for the morning box office reports.

But, in the end, it's not what matters to me. I write this now to let you know, but also to remind myself. Because I'm human and I sometimes forget.

When I was young I felt utterly alone, at times to the point of suicidal thoughts. I never felt like I belonged, had an incredibly difficult time connecting to other people and, despite having love around me, I had an impossible time experiencing it, or taking it in.

But I found my respite in popular entertainment - Marvel comics, science fiction and horror films, the music of The Sex Pistols, The Replacements, and Queen. Suddenly I could see past the bland suburbs where I lived into a more magical world, a world more aligned with what I imagined. Sometimes these works were simply escapist fantasies that distracted me from the difficulties of my internal life. But other times, in the strongest moments - maybe through the words of Alice Cooper or Freddie Mercury, through Cronenberg films, or even in Chewbacca's growl, I experienced something deeper - the realization that I wasn't completely alone. Someone out there was as weird and strange and whacked out as I was.

So this morning, as the internet discusses box office and its many theories around what that means (zzzzzzzz), I'd like to remember that that's truly all nonsense and noise. The only meaning the money holds for me is that I can pay my mortgage, feed my dog and cat, and continue making movies. I haven't worked two and a half years just to watch a string of numbers getting higher.

I work because I like telling stories. I work because I love the relationships I have with my collaborators. And I do it because I like connecting with people, and the easiest way I know how to do that is through filmmaking. I do it so that some kid in Thailand, or England, or Colombia, or Brazil, or Japan, or Russia, or anywhere, can hear the frequency of his or her own heart bouncing back off the Guardians.

They're a group of heartbroken misfits whose lives have been bereft of tenderness and connection and who have a nearly impossible time trusting themselves or others. But they're learning, one step at a time.

They are me. They are you. We are Groot.

And no matter how much world leaders are telling you we aren't in this together, we are. You are not alone.

Thank you so much, my Facebook friends, for supporting me over the past two and a half years, and thank you for all the messages letting us know we've keyed into the frequency of your hearts. I love you all, and I'll continue being here with you over the next three years as we create Vol. 3.

[emoji]10084[/emoji]️
James
PS Still blocking spoilers. Sorry.

Last edited:
other criticsm...

I understand what he was doing by splitting the character up but in the end I think it sapped some of the juice out of the reveal with the villain.

Last edited:
Plenty directors have passion in the industry. We and they just need more studios willing to nuture it.

He really wants the movie to do a billi :wow: Let's do it for James Gunn guys :lol: I think the movie narrowly crosses a billi but will indeed cross it.

As far as the Watcher/Stan Lee scene I find it odd that the majority of movie goers are so focused on the whole "Stan Lee is a Watcher" theory just so they can be in on the discussion because they've followed all the Marvel films and Stan Lee cameos when the scene really doesn't describe that at all. The cameo/easter egg is rooted in the fact that you can't do galactic marvel without the F4 and the film just tongue in cheek solidified it with the watchers appearing out of nowhere and Stan Lee bringing them up to speed with the MCU's adventures and what he was up to during each time.

F4 byke

Last edited:
"I'm gonna make some weird ****." :lol: :rofl:

The Pac man joke was a nice call back to me. A quick sec it had me contemplating the trademark laws on using its likeness.

Last edited:
The movie was funny but wherever it was obvious it wanted big laughs it wasn't funny

Movie is better when it doesn't try as hard.

But obviously, I still loved the movie. I really can't wait to watch it again.

The Pac man joke was a nice call back to me. A quick sec it had me contemplating the trademark laws on using its likeness.

Just didn't think the time was right for it.. the hasselhoff joke while unnecessary, was ok

I find out someone kills my mom, jokes are over

And considering how dude reacted as soon as ego said it, assumed that was how starlord was goin going roll

Just didn't think the time was right for it.. the hasselhoff joke while unnecessary, was ok

And considering how dude reacted as soon as ego said it, assumed that was how starlord was goin going roll

For me it was weird as **** to mention him in the eulogy

:lol:
I'm thinking it has to do with Peter not really knowing how to grow up or what his thinking should be in his 30's and has a grown man. I mean, In a serious fight with his dad when they were building up their "forms" dude came with Pac Man :lol:
when he was told he was eternal and basically a god he says "i'm gonna build some weird ****" :lol:

it's 2014 and the guy literally only knows references up to the 80's

The walkman was all he had left of his mom, and I'm sure it's more the tape than anything, he still got the letter though

so it may have come off as a joke but I'm sure he was insinuating the sentimental value within the walkman

I also think that's why they showed him with Baby Groot, listening to the music with him, and showing some type of responsibility, a long with the scene of teenage groot :lol:

Literally can't wait till IW and Peter's first reaction with ANYONE who has been living in current times, especially if it's Tony Stark or even if he tries to kick it with peter parker, but it just looks off because one's in HS and the other is a 30 year old man

Last edited:

I thought he was serious.

I feel the Pac-Man thing was a joke solely for the audience not one he was making to Ego during the fight.

I just looked at the Pac-man thing as something for Quill since he's a child of the 80's and it's pretty much made up his existence. Knight Rider Joke as well springs board off of that.

Didn't enjoy the first 2/3's of the movie so much...some of the jokes didn't really land with me, but I thought they were okay.

The final act was great tho. Gunna really pulled it off with the GOTG legit fighting a damn planet and made me a believer :lol:

5.5/8 for me.

I need to see this again

Vol 2 >>>>>> Vol 1

Movie is amazing.

However i will say i think Rockets humour is the least funniest.

Like the whole tape scene Pratt is what made that work not rocket

I liked the Taserface part. He distracted dude long enough to make him reconsider just ejecting him into space (if I remember that scene correctly). After that, he wanted to collect the bounty on his head and let the Kree torture him.

It was also a good way to address a ridiculous name from the comics. Rather than ignore it and pretend the name sounds tough, they just addressed it in the movie. I think Rocket did the same with Ego.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the movie and I think it was better than the first. I agree with some of you that Rocket's delivery wasn't great. I thought his best dialogue was the scene he had with Yondu.

Ego was neat, but I didn't really enjoy him being the focus, but hey. They addressed who Peter's father was and that helped put closure to his background.

I really enjoyed the theme of family on this one. Although, I chuckled when Drax said "We're not a team, we're family" because it reminded me of Vin Diesel from F&F
laugh.gif

Enjoyed Sly being Star Hawk, didn't really know the rest of the original Guardians team, but it was cool seeing them together.

"I'm Mary Poppins, yall!" Best line in the entire movie.

Very happy Bautista had more dialogue in this film. This guy has improved his acting so much, I really am glad he's become successful outside of the WWE.
I was sad about Yondu. Really didn't think he was going to die, but wow, they killed him off. I was kind of sad just how Merle became a walker and he died as well. Rooker definitely was good in this role.
Really, really, curious how Peter and the team will be by the time Infinity War begins. If GoTG 2 starts a couple of months after the events of GoTG 1, then I'm assuming they'd be more of a team in IW. Either way, can't wait.

So did Marvel confirm Stan Lee was a watcher? Seeing them was a great cameo.

Anyone else notice Jeff Goldblum dancing in the credits?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom