WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 FINALE out now

I've watched this recently, which was my second time. And when I say watched, I played it in the background while cooking. To be honest, I don't care to watch it again, but I think my vague watching of the film a second time is good enough to be actively participating in this discussion haha

Dude sounds like he's hating a little bit. Thanos about to F around and be a better villain than Apocalypse was, who was played by an actual person
https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/mark-millar-thinks-thanos-avengers-infinity-war-will-be-bad
MARK MILLAR THINKS THANOS IN AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR WILL BE BAD
Posted By:Matt McGloin
Thu, 12/07/2017 - 19:57
mark-millar-cgi-villains-thanos-avengers-infinity-war.jpg

Subscribe To Cosmic Book News
* indicates required
Email Address *

Will Thanos in The Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers 4 be another forgettable villain?

Noted comic book writer Mark Millar thinks so.

Following the disappointment of Justice League, Mark Millar took to Twitter to point out:

I feel we're done with CGI villains. Think about the ones we remember: Loki, Hela, Hackman's Luthor, Ledger and Nicholson's Joker. We instinctively switch off in a third act now because the hero is fighting a digital drawing.

Millar, who is known for penning comics such as Marvel's Civil War, Kick-***, Old Man Logan and lots more included four images with Steppenwolf from the Justice League movie, Doomsday from Batman vs. Superman, Ultron from Avengers 2, and Thanos from Avengers: Infinity War.

I feel we're done with CGI villains. Think about the ones we remember: Loki, Hela, Hackman's Luthor, Ledger and Nicholson's Joker. We instinctively switch off in a third act now because the hero is fighting a digital drawing. pic.twitter.com/V9lqvCSy5f

— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) December 7, 2017
Fans have already responded both agreeing and disagreeing with Mark Millar.

My own response to Millar's thoughts is that it's not about the characters being CGI, but about the characters being poorly written.

I would also point out that Hela in Thor: Ragnarok is hardly a villain to remember and goes down with basically all of the Marvel movie villains as being forgettable as well.

Steppenwolf wasn't a great villain, and while true due partially to the CGI, Steppenwolf was never fully developed and wasn't even included in a previous DCEU movie. WB only included Steppenwolf in a deleted scene, which was shortly released online following Batman vs. Superman's theatrical release.

Speaking of Doomsday, the character's CGI wasn't good as well, but the character was also poorly written and appeared on of nowhere in the movie's third act and was nothing like its comic book counterpart--more bad writing (Eisenberg's Luthor is also forgettable).

Ultron was another case of case bad writing, IMO, and obviously we have yet to see what the Russo's do with Josh Brolin's Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War.

Counters to Mark Millar's argument, as many fans have replied with, would be Andy Serkis' performances as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings and the Apes movies. Serkis also stars as Supreme Leader Snook in Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which looks promising.

I enjoyed The Incredible Hulk. Decent story, sufficient villains, solid acting and good chemistry between Norton-Tyler.

Don't agree with him at all. Practical villains vs cgi based villains wouldn't matter if the writing wasn't so poor for some of them

Assuming that the casual viewer won't check the Marvel Wiki or read some comic book back issues, some backstory on Thanos would be nice to the casual viewer as he's only ever appeared briefly in the films. Maybe dedicate about 10-15 minutes on his origins and what motivates him?

I agree with the counter arguments that Doomsday, Steppenwolf & Ultron weren't great but Hela was quite solid due to the casting of Cate Blanchett.

Assuming that the casual viewer won't check the Marvel Wiki or read some comic book back issues, some backstory on Thanos would be nice to the casual viewer as he's only ever appeared briefly in the films. Maybe dedicate about 10-15 minutes on his origins and what motivates him?

I agree with the counter arguments that Doomsday, Steppenwolf & Ultron weren't great but Hela was quite solid due to the casting of Cate Blanchett.
If you believe the Russo brothers and Feige, IW is going to revolve around Thanos, so he should have a complete character arc

I had a feeling Steppenwolf was going to suck cuz I felt like DC tried to hide him from promo pics and the trailers

Didn't even know how Steppenwolf looked like until I saw some pics on the internet after the movie

Disney & Fox Deal Talks Progress to 'Fine Print' Stage

According to a new report, the blockbuster deal that would send Fox’s Marvel properties over to Disney has progressed to the final stages. The two companies have been in talks for some time now, though discussions have definitely heated up in recent weeks. A potential deal was said to have stalled back in early November, but the fact that Fox and Disney were even talking was enough to get the Marvel fanbase buzzing, setting up a firestorm in the online community about whether or not the acquisition was in the best interest of the characters in question

FOX just owns the rights to the x-men characters in that universe, right?
And F4, and Kingsmen, and Kick-***, and any other movie under Fox 21st or 20th cenutty studios.

To be clear, whoever Fox sold to would result in its Marvel properties reverting back to Marvel.

The extra boon here is Lucasfilm gets the rights back to the other Star Wars movies, and any other movie franchises they own. Then there's the stake in Hulu and cable tv like FX. They don't get the Fox broadcasting channel, sports or news shows though.

Just realized that Disney could possibly have Batman's tv rights :lol:

Cross him over with Defenders man lmfao
Gotham sucks but Disney won't get that Fox broadcasting channel anyway. Against monopoly laws or something.

I'm pretty sure it was just licensed to Fox in some distribution deal same way Supergirl was on CBS. I assume WB/DC will either cancel the show or move it elsewhere. Most likely CW.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom