What Happened to Nike SB ???

plus honestly mot skaters dont skate dunks anyways, so Nike is just wasting its time trying to improve them for skating....We arent skating them because there are cheaper options that are actually better for skating than dunks....One friend of mine said he wouldnt pay 75 for Busenitz, and a lot of my friends dont skate shoes that cost more than 75. Seventy-five is like the most....the biggest issues are the cws, quality, change in shape.....Hopefully SJs will get former heads to come out, but the problem is the only way to keep it going is if Nike keeps coming out with stuff we fiend over and based on what I've seen in the fall/ holiday line, nothing seems to stand out as far as most heads go. I like a few, but thats just me..... We'll see, Nike needs to realize that skaters arent buying dunks, but that collectors are and also that we arent happy with their current job. There are some solid cws imo, but the rest of the community doesnt agree.

Originally Posted by xdunksbx

materials suck for the most part now. comfort is gone imo. they chaged up the shape of the sb dunk/ toe box is smaller and uncomfortable. def more for the skating aspect. so most ppl that don't skate moved on to kobes, brons and jordans.
there not as many collabs and artistic expressions on the shoe as there used to be. SOme of these new releases look like some 6.0 crap.
but those space jam lows = dope. prob only sb i'll cop this year..
exactly. not everyone wants to go and pay a premium for a pair of shoes they are gonna skate in. it might sound crazy but some people actually like skating dunk sb's. anyone have some ideas to throw out for new shoes? i'd love to hear how any of you would "save" the sb game. i think they are doing just fine. why not throw out some average looking shoes (frm a sneakerhead standpoint) for the skaters to skate in? why do they have to drop some major epic shoe every time there is a release? its a shoe to be skated not to be resold or just looked at. with that being said i do like a lot of the concepts they drop and thats why i buy the shoes that i feel i really want. in the end, they will keep making shoes, we will keep complaining and buying them 
laugh.gif

the thing is that skaters ARENT buying dunks since there are cheaper alternatives that are actually better than dunks.

Why would I skate dunks when I can save ten bucks and skate Janos, blazers, or basically any other skate brand's offering?

SB (the brand) is different from your average skate brand, why? because it has sneakerheads following it and because its Nike. From the beginning it had sneakerheads following it, thats why you still have DS supas, mulders, etc on eBay and in people's collections....it wasnt just skaters back then, but it was more skaters than there are now. and the amount of skaters into SBs was more than the heads up to 04, imo. Thats when the hype started and then in 06 that was it, once the price hike happened and the quality dipped skaters stopped buying at the rate they had been and heads stopped buying b/c the cws just sucked. (only about half of the shoes in 06 were anything, and then it just gets worse and worse from there, and we end up in 2010-2011 where three shoes out of 30 are anything that people fiend over) Look at resale on most of the shoes after 06 compared to 02-05 and you can clearly that the popularity of the shoes after 06 severely declined as a result of people simply not liking the colorway of the shoes.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

the thing is that skaters ARENT buying dunks since there are cheaper alternatives that are actually better than dunks.

Why would I skate dunks when I can save ten bucks and skate Janos, blazers, or basically any other skate brand's offering?

SB (the brand) is different from your average skate brand, why? because it has sneakerheads following it and because its Nike. From the beginning it had sneakerheads following it, thats why you still have DS supas, mulders, etc on eBay and in people's collections....it wasnt just skaters back then, but it was more skaters than there are now. and the amount of skaters into SBs was more than the heads up to 04, imo. Thats when the hype started and then in 06 that was it, once the price hike happened and the quality dipped skaters stopped buying at the rate they had been and heads stopped buying b/c the cws just sucked. (only about half of the shoes in 06 were anything, and then it just gets worse and worse from there, and we end up in 2010-2011 where three shoes out of 30 are anything that people fiend over) Look at resale on most of the shoes after 06 compared to 02-05 and you can clearly that the popularity of the shoes after 06 severely declined as a result of people simply not liking the colorway of the shoes.

good points man. although i think that dunk sb's from 02-05 aren't as available as the 06 stuff and on, especially in good condition, which would contribute to the price hikes for older models. and yeah after 05 there were only a select few that i personally took the time to go get. just got watered down like jordans..

right, thats just how anything works when supply goes down...but the thing on those is that the cws are extremely dope and very popular where as the stuff now isnt. If MOST (there are certainly exceptions) of the stuff now (06-now) was as hard to find as 02-05 stuff, I bet the resale wouldnt be that much higher simply because the cws arent liked.

Originally Posted by xdunksbx

materials suck for the most part now. comfort is gone imo. they chaged up the shape of the sb dunk/ toe box is smaller and uncomfortable. def more for the skating aspect. so most ppl that don't skate moved on to kobes, brons and jordans.
there not as many collabs and artistic expressions on the shoe as there used to be. SOme of these new releases look like some 6.0 crap.
but those space jam lows = dope. prob only sb i'll cop this year..

You guys are crazy. They feel exactly the same in comfort. I guess ppl will complain no matter what. Those french blues and aquas are dope!! The spacejams are dope too, but that toebox will crease no matter what!  so ez pass for me... I love it when obese ppl talk about comfort when they have flat feet!!! The quality on the french blues are up to par makes me think about the old days.

Originally Posted by UNIQUEKICKZ

The quality on the french blues are up to par makes me think about the old days.

i sure hope you are right, I still need to check em out at my shop before I cop a pair. Those shoes are solid imo. Slept on, but they are nice. You think they will catch on?

Nike SB's problem is that it is very inconsistent on cws. They come out with stuff like SJs and then go right back to the crappy releases, where as 02-05 nearly everything was right on point. Nike SB seriously needs to change something about it runs its dunk line if they want us to stick around.

Nike SB DIDN'T DIE...JUST B/C HYPE BEASTS STOP SUPPORTING IT DOESN'T MEAN IT DIED

do any of you clowns saying died have any idea about a business and how it is run?  Nike doesn't make that much money off a bunch of hyped up limited releases, they make it on their mainstream GR skate models of ALL models

god I swear NTers live in a bubble

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Nike SB DIDN'T DIE...JUST B/C HYPE BEASTS STOP SUPPORTING IT DOESN'T MEAN IT DIED

do any of you clowns saying died have any idea about a business and how it is run?  Nike doesn't make that much money off a bunch of hyped up limited releases, they make it on their mainstream GR skate models of ALL models

Agreed, i've said this time and time again. They don't cater to us, it's hardly a blip on their bottom line.

Stillin, many of the dunks that come out these days, sit on shelves. And I know firsthand that shops are complaining to Nike SB. The reason people say "SB is dead" is not because the hype has ended, but because the cws aren't appealing to most, thus why the hype died. So its not that the hype died, its that the cws suck (much of the time and its not just in my opinion, the majority of the SB head community thinks the cws suck, thus why they arent willing to pay high prices for them)

If Nike SB made cws that a majority of us liked then the hype would come back, BUT Quality, heel padding, "the toebox issue", and shape are also issues that contributed to the decline.

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

Nothing lasts forever.

Bingo.
I really don't want, or miss, the hype from the past.

As i've stated various times in the past, i'm MORE than fine paying MSRP for my shoes and simple CWs. NOT every shoe is going to be a hit, why is this so hard to grasp?

the cws suck, if the cws are fire then the public will respond and the heads will come out and cop em. Look at SJs,

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Agreed, i've said this time and time again. They don't cater to us, it's hardly a blip on their bottom line.

but they CAN cater to us, while also catering to everyone else. And as a business as big and as profitable as Nike why wouldn't they? That's the issue. They can have their normal releases, but they should still drop some occasional heat. That would generate an even stronger following.
on another note, think about the various aspects of the shoe game? Hype has become a part of sneaker culture, and it started back in the day with the Air Jordan. I don't understand why people are acting like this is a new phenomenon. It's the thrill of the hunt, even when people say they don't have to hunt, it's the feeling of accomplishment knowing you didn't have to hunt while others did. The acknowledgment from fellow heads when one is rockin some heat. This is all an integral part of why we all love these shoes the way we do. Wether you want to accept it or not this is a fact. Simply having a forum where we discuss shoes is hype. A lot of people would call us crazy. 

So if your tired of all the hype, why don't you start by retiring your niketalk account? 

NO?

didn't think so.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

Nothing lasts forever.

Bingo.
I really don't want, or miss, the hype from the past.

As i've stated various times in the past, i'm MORE than fine paying MSRP for my shoes and simple CWs. NOT every shoe is going to be a hit, why is this so hard to grasp?
I know what you mean, I just feel that they can do better. And it looks as though they're trying. Simple and clean is right. But one person's perception of simple and clean is not the same as the next. I think they can do better.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Stillin, many of the dunks that come out these days, sit on shelves. And I know firsthand that shops are complaining to Nike SB. The reason people say "SB is dead" is not because the hype has ended, but because the cws aren't appealing to most, thus why the hype died. So its not that the hype died, its that the cws suck (much of the time and its not just in my opinion, the majority of the SB head community thinks the cws suck, thus why they arent willing to pay high prices for them)

If Nike SB made cws that a majority of us liked then the hype would come back, BUT Quality, heel padding, "the toebox issue", and shape are also issues that contributed to the decline.
what skate shoes don't sit on shelves?

Yeah, but the SB dunk is different. I spoke to a shop owner and he told me directly that skaters arent buying dunks and that even if the price was 75 (like janos/ blazers and almost every other skate shoe (most skate shoes are cheaper in fact)) that still skaters wouldnt buy the dunk simply because there are better alternatives, Janos, Busenitz etc.

So because of this, Nike SB should cater to collectors and just make dunks how they used to 02-05. Dope cws, great quality, solid heel padding, and none of this shape crap on the toebox. We all know SB was better 02-05. And also dunks were cheaper back then. The only reason SB raised the price on dunks was because there was a demand on them (mostly collectors imo, yet there were a lot of skaters who skated dunks too since they were cheap and these alternatives (mentioned above) didnt exist yet). NO MATTER WHAT NIKE SB DOES TO THE DUNK, SKATERS WONT BUY IT.

Once the cws stopped coming (starting in 06, only half of the shoes that year were anything) thats when the SB dunk culture started dying. Then 07,08,09 happened and the cws got worse and worse, sure there were VERY FEW popular cws, but you all know that most of them were nothing to celebrate about.

In 2010, Nike SB changed the dunk (new sole, severe change in heel padding etc) and the struggle still continues to this day, WHY?

The answer is because collectors are the main consumers of dunks and if the cw sucks then we wont buy it. Plain and simple. So if Nike SB wants the dunk to sell again then they are best off bringing back the 05 shape, the 05 quality, the 05 "toebox issue", and the dopeness of the 02-05, which means none of this gimmick crap they've been doing, but instead cws that we like that are original in idea, that we fiend after.
Every dunk Nike SB drops should be fire, or at least most releases, just like 02-05.

Just look at the facts, MOST (basically all, we all know the flops) of 02-05 dunks are fire and are sought after, where as MOST if not 90% (not exact, but you get my point) of all dunks after 05 are nothing and are slept on.

. The acknowledgment from fellow heads when one is rockin some heat. This is all an integral part of why we all love these shoes the way we do.
This doesn't describe me one bit. I buy what I like because I like it, NOT to have dudes eyeballing me.

The reaction is a side note from the reason we collect. B-boys (NY) in the seventies sat on pairs (that they liked obviously) simply to break them out and breaknecks. Thats why they collected and I still think thats why people collect today. They liked the shoes, but they also liked the reaction.

Back
Top Bottom