What Happened to Nike SB ???

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

. The acknowledgment from fellow heads when one is rockin some heat. This is all an integral part of why we all love these shoes the way we do.

This doesn't describe me one bit. I buy what I like because I like it, NOT to have dudes eyeballing me.

laugh.gif
 for real, I'd rather not have people eyeballing me for my sneakers, I actually hate when someone gives me the props head nod and what not 

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

So if Nike SB wants the dunk to sell again then they are best off bringing back the 05 shape, the 05 quality, the 05 "toebox issue", and the dopeness of the 02-05, which means none of this gimmick crap they've been doing, but instead cws that we like that are original in idea, that we fiend after.
Every dunk Nike SB drops should be fire, or at least most releases, just like 02-05.

But, IS it really as simple as 1+1=2?

. The acknowledgment from fellow heads when one is rockin some heat. This is all an integral part of why we all love these shoes the way we do.

This doesn't describe me one bit. I buy what I like because I like it, NOT to have dudes eyeballing me.

you forgot to quote the rest of what i said, not just the acknowledgment but everything together that creates this culture and our love for shoes. I wasn't referring to you specifically, no one person is the same, you just  had brought up a good point. It's more an overall generalization of sneaker culture.

and even still, most often one buy's CERTAIN shoes KNOWING that dudes are gonna be eyeballing them, yet you still buy them. 
Myself on the other hand, I hardly wear any of my sneakers. I am a true collector, it's a hobby for me. 

I know some may say, "that's stupid, shoes are meant to be worn." While others would agree that not all shoes are meant to be worn.

Any object can be a canvas for a masterpiece. To me some shoes are masterpieces, while others are aesthetically pleasing, and other shoes are wearable.

That is why I'm disappointed in NIke SB, there hasn't been much for me to collect, there's plenty to wear.

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

So if Nike SB wants the dunk to sell again then they are best off bringing back the 05 shape, the 05 quality, the 05 "toebox issue", and the dopeness of the 02-05, which means none of this gimmick crap they've been doing, but instead cws that we like that are original in idea, that we fiend after.
Every dunk Nike SB drops should be fire, or at least most releases, just like 02-05.

But, IS it really as simple as 1+1=2?
I think is is that easy. Take the tiffany's. They would have flown even if they weren't called tiffany dunks. the color scheme with the croc was just straight ridiculous. And if you think about it, that was a pretty simple colorway, aqua/black. WHAT SET IT OFF WAS THE CROC SKIN.
The tiffany dunk of today would be just aqua/black. which im sure nobody would find all that special. But one small change can make all the difference.

Originally Posted by ankles2008

and even still, most often one buy's CERTAIN shoes KNOWING that dudes are gonna be eyeballing them, yet you still buy them. 
I'm not going to let some goofball eye #%%* ing my shoes for 10 seconds deter me from buying something I like. Again, I buy what I like because I like them. There's no second or third, even fourth reason as to why I get what I want.

@ ankles, exactly, the diamonds would have been way different had there been no croc. Material is JUST AS IMPORTANT as cw. I see nothing wrong with ankle's outlook or Luis', both are fine.

Most people buy shoes that they like and coinicidently most of the sought after shoes are like by most people, NOT HBs, but true collectors

@ ankles, exactly, the diamonds would have been way different had there been no croc. Material is JUST AS IMPORTANT as cw. I see nothing wrong with ankle's outlook or Luis', both are fine.

Most people buy shoes that they like and coinicidently most of the sought after shoes are like by most people, NOT HBs, but true collectors

so much truth in it that it should be a law
pimp.gif

A few people began criticizing it and it soon became hip to do so on the forums, while awesome releases still drop and slip by the majority of sneaker forum users.

They're still good with me

The changes they did might seem like a quick fix, but insinuating that the development up to that stage is a matter of throwing a few pieces together and instantaneously generating some great product is severely discounting the whole purpose of design.

The beauty of a minimalistic/simple design (where applicable), is that subtlety can  allow  for other elements to pop. Minimalism is not synonymous with simplicity and for Nsb to pump out something to meet your fancy at will is definitely not a matter of "Oh, this board is too short. Let me re-measure it and cut one to the right length so it fits."

Originally Posted by AJ27526

A few people began criticizing it and it soon became hip to do so on the forums, while awesome releases still drop and slip by the majority of sneaker forum users.

Agreed. Keep touting how you buy what you like-make your own decisions yada  yada, when it's clear you're following someone else's lead.

The changes they did might seem like a quick fix, but insinuating that the development up to that stage is a matter of throwing a few pieces together and instantaneously generating some great product is severely discounting the whole purpose of design.

The beauty of a minimalistic/simple design (where applicable), is that subtlety can  allow  for other elements to pop. Minimalism is not synonymous with simplicity and for Nsb to pump out something to meet your fancy at will is definitely not a matter of "Oh, this board is too short. Let me re-measure it and cut one to the right length so it fits."

The thing is that in 02-05 Nike SB was able to just put out fire almost with every single dunk release. Then in 06 they stopped this fire, and it just got worse and worse from there, just cw wise, I'm not even talking about quality this time. The cws just arent there and thats ONE of the reasons why SB died to most heads. The stuff now just isnt sought after, as I'm sure you know.

I'm talking quality of colorway and saying that the well doesn't stay wet forever. They didn't 'stop' because Nsb decided to hold back, it's the life cycle of a product. You can dig a little further and it might get moist, but it sure isn't going to fill itself up magically.

Which is why I brought up complications of design in the first place. It's hard in the beginning and it doesn't get easier the longer you run with it. Enjoy those moist spots in between and stop being so hung up with the drought.

Right, yet there was no reason for it to stop. Legendary designers had flops. Liam Sean Martin (designer through 07, designed some 04,05 classics even though most of the shoes back then were collab) .

Since its dry right now, I cant help but focus on it. The drought is in full effect, I dont see any water coming either

Originally Posted by AJ27526

They're still good with me
Im not an SB head, can you give examples of these releases that were slept on?

basically everything since 07 (exceptions are Medicom 5s, Pee Wees, Bruts,WTDs, Dooms, Neon J Packs (though they arent sought after now), Guccis, Skunks, Ferris Buellers (didnt catch on till later), same goes for Huxtables, Larry Perkins (though not very sought after)) and about half of the stuff in 06.

I'm talking quality of colorway and saying that the well doesn't stay wet forever. They didn't 'stop' because Nsb decided to hold back, it's the life cycle of a product. You can dig a little further and it might get moist, but it sure isn't going to fill itself up magically.

Which is why I brought up complications of design in the first place. It's hard in the beginning and it doesn't get easier the longer you run with it. Enjoy those moist spots in between and stop being so hung up with the drought.
you bring up a great point. the longer you run with it the more you exhaust the idea, the harder it is to come up with something fresh and creative, yet not too loud and outrageous. 
But at the same time it's Nike we're talking about here. A multi-billion dollar company who pays its professionals substantial amounts of money to be that creative mechanism behind the product.  Nike is a brand that should be held to a higher standard, and many of us expect a higher standard than what we are often getting as of lately. This isn't just Nike SB, but JB, and some of the Nike retros.

basically everything since 07 (exceptions are Medicom 5s, Pee Wees, Bruts,WTDs, Dooms, Neon J Packs (though they arent sought after now), Guccis, Skunks, Ferris Buellers (didnt catch on till later), same goes for Huxtables, Larry Perkins (though not very sought after)) and about half of the stuff in 06.

I've got to ask, are there any shoes you DO like? It seems like you post in every SB thread, but it's always just a bunch of angry posts about how much they've lost their way.

Originally Posted by ankles2008

you bring up a great point. the longer you run with it the more you exhaust the idea, the harder it is to come up with something fresh and creative, yet not too loud and outrageous. 
But at the same time it's Nike we're talking about here. A multi-billion dollar company who pays its professionals substantial amounts of money to be that creative mechanism behind the product.  Nike is a brand that should be held to a higher standard, and many of us expect a higher standard than what we are often getting as of lately. This isn't just Nike SB, but JB, and some of the Nike retros.
And at the same time, I would say it's going to take a multi-billion dollar answer to resolve this situation (if you so deem it to be).

Originally Posted by mints

I've got to ask, are there any shoes you DO like? It seems like you post in every SB thread, but it's always just a bunch of angry posts about how much they've lost their way.
He likes everything ~up to '06, and a few in between. Basically anything that's already been given the thumbs up by people in the past.

Right, yet there was no reason for it to stop. Legendary designers had flops. Liam Sean Martin (designer through 07, designed some 04,05 classics even though most of the shoes back then were collab) .

Since its dry right now, I cant help but focus on it. The drought is in full effect, I dont see any water coming either
Again, you keep framing it like it was a conspiracy against the buyer. Design is based in success and failure. There was success and it happen to come in the early stages. I know you can fill in the rest, but once you realize that it wasn't a voluntary withdrawal of 'fire,' you'll realize there are more choices for response than a hate parade.

Again, you keep framing it like it was a conspiracy against the buyer. Design is based in success and failure. There was success and it happen to come in the early stages. I know you can fill in the rest, but once you realize that it wasn't a voluntary withdrawal of 'fire,' you'll realize there are more choices for response than a hate parade.
I do like chromeball highs, new castles, and a few other not really sought after shoes. It wasn't a conspiracy against the buyer, but they didnt have to change anything. I bet you they lowered quality in 06 simply b/c they thought we'd still buy and wouldn't notice the difference. They were trying to take advantage of the demand, they also raised the price as a result. Nike SB didnt have to change at all, yet it did. And I agree with Ankles, sure its difficult to keep pumping out well liked cws, but still its their job to do so, therefore there is no excuse for crappy cws.  OF COURSE THEY DIDNT MEAN TO MAKE CRAPPY CWS, BUT THE CWS ARE STILL CRAPPY REGARDLESS.

When a cw is only liked by a small amount of people that is a failure on Nike SB's part.

I think a lot of the perception that the colorway has failed the concept is gimmicky comes from a lack of a point of reference. It seems as if they're designing the shoes with people my age (30+) in mind. The pop culture references to older stuff completely flys over the head of younger people (Skeletors spring instantly to mind, and I'm sure most people your age have no clue who/what HR Pufnstuff is).

In my opinion I love the stuff that's come out in the past 5 years because of the older pop culture references. There's been plenty of complaining quality wise, but I haven't had an issue with any of the pairs I've picked up post pink box era. If I didn't care about the shoes and felt they'd completely fallen off, I wouldn't expend any time into making posts on a forum about them.

As to the colorways not being a hit with the kids anymore, you gotta remember that the times change and what's a hit with kids 2002-2006 won't really work today, people have moved on and rare is the brand that's had a slump and returned to the top of hip culture.

Not going to argue the quality, but they didn't change anything method wise. The roadwork has been the same: a mixture of collabs and simple ones. Why does collective response to a colorway need to be an issue for anyone but Nsb? Who are you shopping for? You either need to disengage from the past or disengage from its future, otherwise you're setting yourself up for failed expectations.

Back
Top Bottom