What would a player have to do to be considered greater than Jordan?

Originally Posted by Stoker55

Originally Posted by bijald0331

7 finals MVP's.

this.

and dominate both ends of the floor.

but in all honesty there is so much that goes into jordan's legacy that i doubt could be re-duplicated.

-endless game winning shots.  (can be done)
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]-3 titles in succession to a team with no previous championships.(can be done..)[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]-retiring and his team struggling without him. only to then come back and win 3 more rings in succesion. (can be done)[/color]
-scoring titles. (can be done)
-creating the "air jordan" brand and globalizing the game.
-ending his career as a bull with a game winner to seal his 6th championship.(can be done)
-win a championship with bill wennington as your starting center (can't be done)
these 2 plus all the defensive stats/all defensive team he put up......no one plays like that any more......

Bron has a chance if he can wins some rings, but its going to be hard to be better than his airness....

and for the record, Kareem might have to be #2 or 3 on that list

how you gonna compare him to jordan?

1.jordan
2.wilt
3.russell
4.magic
5.bird

6.kareem

Kareem is a Top 5 player of all time.

Jordan is the greatest guard of all time.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

It's like saying who can be better than Tiger, or Ali, or Gretzky, etc.

Nobody.

there are actually a lot of boxing experts that don't rank Ali as the greatest boxer of all time. but Gretzky statistically is on some Wilt Chamberlain $#$!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BIG SIPPIN SPENDIN CHEESE

lol @ kareem

yes kareem has a great resume but he aint even top 5

1.jordan
2.wilt
3.russell
4.magic
5.bird

6.kareem

and who else is gonna go down as the best scorer and defender of all time?

dude was dominating on both ends of the court
you do know that hakeem the dream is the ONLY player to win MVP, finals MVP and defensive player of the year in the same year right? thats dominating on both ends of the court right there...i think he can be debatable as the best scorer and defender

wow @ kareem not being top 5...how does the NBAs all-time scorer and the man with the most MVPs doesnt make it to the top to the top 5 of all time

shame on these kids

lol @ kareem

1.jordan
2.wilt
3.russell
4.magic
5.bird

6.kareem
You have Larry Bird ahead of Kareem?
roll.gif

and mj missed like 5 good seasons with the retirements and breaking his foot in his second season

why must someone to be considered a 'better player' than Jordan have to pass all his stats and achievements?

What if someone is JUST simply a better basketball player?

Not everyone is going to have the luxury to play with a pippen or other role players like the way Jordan did, and also be coached by someone like phil jackson....

What if there is a player that comes along that is JUST A BETTER BASKETBALL PLAYER...better shooter, defender, everything...but doesn't have the same tools to achieve all those trophy's and stuff?

i don't think it is fair to assume that the only way to be considered better than jordan is to match all his accomplishments and beyond.

if someone is a better player, he is flat out a better player...are stats the only way to prove that?

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

lol @ kareem

1.jordan
2.wilt
3.russell
4.magic
5.bird

6.kareem
You have Larry Bird ahead of Kareem?
roll.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

In these conversations people rarely take in to consideration the big picture. They just match number for number which is too elementary. You can't say well Jordan won 6 out of 6 so a person must do that and then some. These discussions are almost impossible to have because you are talking about opinion. You might say well if you win the rings and the accolades that's fact but someone will always be able to say the league was watered down, or the rules in the league changed, or injuries helped another team win, or refs favored teams, or many other excuses. There will always be some excuse. You can't just say you have to beat him in all achievements without considering everything. To consider everything would almost be impossible to do, so in other words these discussions are almost pointless because there's no way to compare apples to apples, unless they play in the same era against each other.

In my opinion there might not ever be someone that is considered greater than MJ because in order to be considered greater they would have to be far superior to the point you couldn't argue it. That is why he is considered the greatest because he was so much better than the people before him that you can't even make a case. Now someone will have to do that to him, and dethrone him so to speak. I am not sure that can be done.

Bias Opinion Below:

For me the only way Kobe gets there is if he wins 3 or 4 more, winning finals MVP in all of them. That alone will be tough to do in the league the way it is, how much talent, how many good teams there are. He would have to basically double his championship rings, I don't think he can do that. I think he would need to win league MVP at least 1 more time (btw I will be pissed if they vote Durant higher than Kobe because the change the "rules" on how they vote depending on who they like. First it was oh you just need to be the best player in the league, then it's oh you have to make your teammates better, then you have to be an elite player. If they change it back I will be heated). I don't take too much stock in the fact he hasn't won too many league MVP's because in my eyes and many others, he should have won two more, for reasons mentioned already). Again, this is just my opinion and yes it is bias.

I also think Lebron has a good chance depending on decisions he make about his career going forward. He is young and seems to have many years ahead of him. I think he has a better chance than anyone to do it, but as was mentioned he's not even close and really neither is Kobe for that matter.

I think bottom line is personal opinion will always differ but people will always widely hold Jordan on a pedestal until someone with out a doubt proves better.

Honestly until our generation moves on, no one will be considered better. People are just in love with Jordan, and until fans that never saw him play,he will be considered untouchable

While Jordan was a great player, do people think he did not have a great team ? I mean the team went 72-10 one season

One of the better defenders in - Pippen

One of the better 3pt shooters in - Kerr

One of the best rebounder in - Rodman

One of the great players in - Jordan himself

I think it can be done but I don't think anyone will ever have the impact that he has had on the game of baskeball

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

While Jordan was a great player, do people think he did not have a great team ? I mean the team went 72-10 one season

One of the better defenders in - Pippen

One of the better 3pt shooters in - Kerr

One of the best rebounder in - Rodman

One of the great players in - Jordan himself
It's all about chemistry

Originally Posted by dmncn lew

Kareem's career resume is greater than that:

6 time champ
6 time MVP
2 time Finals MVP
10 time all-NBA 1st team
5 time all-NBA 2nd team
19 time all-star
All-time scoring leader, 4th in rebounds, 3rd in blocks

Not to mention Kareem won 3 chips at UCLA.

Yea, and don't forget the 4 Finals LOSSES! Not to mention being swept 2 times in the Finals and losing a Game 7 in the Finals on his homecourt!

No problem:

6 time champ
6 time MVP
2 time Finals MVP
10 time all-NBA 1st team
5 time all-NBA 2nd team
19 time all-star
All-time scoring leader, 4th in rebounds, 3rd in blocks
3 NCAA titles
4 Finals losses
Swept 2 times in the Finals
Losing a game 7 on his home court

>

6 Finals appearance, 6 Finals wins, 6 Finals MVPs
Defensive Player of the Year
10 scoring titles
5 MVPs
2 gold medals
average more points in the playoffs than the regular season

Happy now?

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

how many ppg would kobe have to score for the rest of his career to surpass MJ's career ppg?
not even close... he didnt get much PT when he first came into the league so he's only at 24ppg for his career.

Lebron is at 27.8ppg.. seeing as MJ averaged 30ppg Lebron will have to average 30+ for multiple seasons to top Jordan.

Haven't read this thread, but:

[h3]
What would a player have to do to be considered greater than Jordan?
[/h3]You really can't get better than Jordan.

LeBron and Kobe have already lost in the NBA Finals.

Micheal Jordan's greatness will be unparalleled. If he didn't retire, he would have won EIGHT STRAIGHT TITLES.

Put that into perspective.

Also, he had a whole different aura to him that won't be matched.

His kicks...nobody will ever have shoes that people will be infatuated with as much as Jordan's.

The commercials: "Sometimes I dream, that he is me..." is something that can't be topped either.

MJ is the icon of basketball, period.

First off, I think that it's going to be hard for any player to pass him.

But, why is it such a big deal that he went 6 for 6 in the Finals and Jabbar only went 6 for 10. If I have a ten year career I prefer going to the finals all 10 seasons and losing 4 times than going 6 for 6. Making it to the Finals is a pretty difficult feat in itself.

I don't think it's so much that 6/6 is so much better, but it's just that Kobe went 4/6. Look at it this way... Kobe has less championships AND he lost in 2. I can't really hate on Kareem since he has as many championships as MJ. It's very commendable that he went to the Finals 10 times. The thing is, he was only the Finals MVP twice out of the 6 times he won. MJ was the MVP every single time.

Might get flamed for this but no one will ever dominate like that again.... Too many superstars... As far as role players go the league may have fallin off since the eighties and nineties, but there are so many superstars in today's league... Almost every team has two or three players that can get you 20-25 a night

Back
Top Bottom