Which taste better overall- Popeyes or KFC?

Popeyes for dinner tonight.. :nthat:

BB7314D8-DA5F-4087-A5AF-D13A34B6AB07.gif

i need to try the original at kfc... i always get crispy and while its decent i like popeyes chicken better... but the sides at kfc are better...

There's a Bojangles' right across the street from a KFC near me.

There's no way I'd ever choose KFC over Bo's.

EVER.

And you sir, are a smart man for making this lifelong decision. I'm hittin Bojangles whenever I drive down south and spot one, hell, I'm willing to go 5 miles out of the way for it.

And you sir, are a smart man for making this lifelong decision. I'm hittin Bojangles whenever I drive down south and spot one, hell, I'm willing to go 5 miles out of the way for it.

There's a Bojangles' all the way in Reading (Eastern PA). It's the only Bo's in the Northeast proper.

There's a Bojangles' all the way in Reading (Eastern PA). It's the only Bo's in the Northeast proper.

..............I might have to make a trip East then. I wouldn't even wish for one to come to western PA, wouldn't be treated like the divine establishment that it is

Never had it but Bojangles looks like Churches Chicken for white people

Never tried Popeye's alway wanted to, but I live in Mexico. My fam is from Trinidad, and the KFC there is the best fried chicken I've ever had hands down. Going to Cali next year gonna hit popeye's up and In N' Out as soon as I get there.

I would never put kfc over popeyes till recently, just so happens I now live close to the worst popeye's i've ever been to, and the best kfc i've ever been. The popeye's chicken is always cold, dry, anorexic and flavorless, vs the juicy, flavorful chicken this kfc puts out. Previously every kfc in the us I went to was awful. Crazy how it varies from spot to spot. They're both still slow as **** though.

So I stopped by my local Popeyes and picked up a "2 piece white" with a biscuit and "red beans and rice." I had heard people mention the red beans and rice before so that is why I chose that.
The cashier asked me if I wanted "spicy" and I said yes. (KFC did not ask me that.)

Before I get into it I have to say that this comparison to KFC is not quite as precise as I wanted it to be for reasons I will get into below.

The Popeyes box is better than the KFC box.
It has a matte texture like cardboard were as the KFC box is slick.
The design is also better to me.
20180717_135836.jpg

The biscuit was a disappointment. It was not as light and airy as KFCs and reminded me of those biscuits you buy at the grocery store in a tube.
It had alot more chew to it than KFCs.
If i threw this into the air it would land in tact, KFCs would likely fall apart.
20180717_135920.jpg

Next I tried the "red beans and rice"
The first thing that struck me was the seasoning. It was seasoned extremely well. There was also a smoky and meaty taste almost liked this was cooked with ham hocks or something.
It was very good but I'm not a fan of red beans so I wouldn't eat a huge portion. If you like red beans you will love this.
20180717_135951.jpg

Now the chicken.

With KFC I ordered their "original" recipe, which, if you have ever had it you know, the skin is not crispy, which was not a negative to me but it's vastly different from Popeyes. For a better comparison I should have ordered the KFC extra crispy.

The crunch is the first thing I noticed about Popeyes chicken. There is alot of crunch, I would describe it like a potato chip crunch but slightly softer.
The second thing I noticed, which cought me off guard, was how incredibly juicy this particular breast was. I came in thinking there was no way it was going to be juicier than KFCs breast but I was wrong. Juiciest breast I can remember getting from a fast food spot.
Now the wing. I firmly believe that the wing was just sitting under the heat for some time unlike the breast, because it was mediocre. The skin had no crunch and the meat was a bit dry on the drummet. K FCs was exceptionally better in taste and texture.

20180717_141237.jpg

So with all that said it is kind of hard for me to say which one is "better" because there are a few variables....location being one.
They are both good in their own ways.
I would eat at both locations again.

Back
Top Bottom