WHO IN NT HAS THE BEST COLLECTION

Very well put BubbaEla1, some just collect because we love it or we love the history that comes with it. For me it's always been the man himself MJ so thatis all i care about and all i collect. There is a reason to why i do it not just because its rare or hard to find or only 2 pairs made but because the GreatestAthlete ever wore this shoe and for me it embodies him! So to me everyones collection should be special to them and not anyone else, bedunks,af1's,pe's, whatever... It all should bare a meaning to its owner.

So to me everyones collection should be special to them... It all should bare a meaning to its owner.
Ok, but what if the special part is that there were only 2 pairs made?
tongue.gif

Corg, thanks for the reply, I was just curious from hearing about your sneaker collecting method after all these years and respect your point of view as acollector (or non-collector?). Interesting take on things.

It is comical that some pit their collections against one another or try and show it off in a unique manner when by and large they mostly have the same typesof shoes as everyone else. Jordans, PE's, dunks, AFI's, etc........yawn. Nothing wrong with those shoes, but in terms of "flossing" thatstuff, I mean its been done hundreds of times over, I think people would want to see a collection with some substance or actual thought process behind it fromtime to time, but if someone's main objective is to floss - and thats why they collect, then I guess substance isnt an issue!

Im not sure Im in agreement with the hobby being odd, misunderstood by the general public, sure, which is why the general public would think of it as odd. ButI think once someone with no knowledge of what it is about hears some of the reasons stated such as in this thread they may gain a deeper understanding if theyhave an open mind, not sure how deep you can get with sneaker collecting though. Like you said, those who do it for the wrong reasons (from our point of view),like just for the sake of showing off, or to say they one upped someone, hopefully eventually they will see its a pretty empty end of the road if and when theyever reach it.

I guess from time to time you have to ask yourself why am I doing this collecting thing, and what do I hope to get out of it. Personally I got what I wantedout of it - so where else is there to go after that? And like you I'd rather surround myself with doubles and triples of dogs than of sneakers.
tongue.gif

Well there are some people i know that have some insane stuff, but they are not on NT.
ohwell.gif

So, I think I'm going to have to co-sign with Rajah on this one.
If i would of kept every single pair i purchased over my period of collecting, i could have gave Jay/Spurs a run for their money!
laugh.gif

But nonetheless, all of your names pop up FIRST when i think of those divisions of JB collectors.
pimp.gif

I'd like to add my man Dill in there as well....He has some good stuff on ice for sure.
smile.gif

As far as myself, I'll stick to the heaters i have, because if i can say one thing, many of those pairs most don't have or have seen, so I'msatisfied.
happy.gif

PO

By the answers I have seen should just change the title to

WHO HAS SPENT THE MOST ON SHOES
Yeah and the answer would be "Those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford it".

Very good point.

But, the difference between being able to buy shoes and put together an actual "collection" to me, are two different things entirely. You would needto have the means to buy the shoes, sure, but beyond that you have to have the knowledge, experience, and a criteria of what goes in the collection.

I know some may disagree with me on this and say, whatever that person thinks is his/her own collection is his/her own collection to THEM and only them. Thatsfine and dandy, but I could say that my socks and underwear are a collection too, I just went out and bought whatever random brands and models I thought werecomfortable and they just HAPPENED to accumulate over time. I think if you're a SNEAKER COLLECTOR, maybe somethought, expertise, planning, and some selectivity should have gone into the "collection." Instead, a lot of people just post pics of their"collections" when they are really just a random accumulation of shoes they bought over the months, years, etc. I wouldn't consider that alegitimate collection, but to each his own I guess.

Ok so you own some playstation AFI's, Eminem AJ IV's, and some FLOM dunks, you have the ability to follow trends, good for you. I'm not sure thattakes a whole lot of thinking to accumulate what everyone else considers to be HOT right now. That may be a collection,but just because it costs a lot of money doesnt make it any more impressive than the guy who went out and bought every color of the "be true to yourschool" dunks.

Since it looks like the majority of people would consider Jay Jones OVERALL collection to be tops here (which I can't say I disagree with, at least as faras NT is concerned), some would say he just has money and connects, so its easy for him to just get whatever he wants. That may be true - and it may not betrue, I dont know his financial situation or situation with his connects, nor do any of us need to judge that or know about it, but what stands out to me morethan anything about his collection besides just that its crazy, there is a sense of completeness and order to it. You can tell the man knew what he was doingwhen he set out to piece it together. Whether it was connects that got him access to all the kobe exclusives or digging and searching for years to find a rarevintage piece, he really has a well rounded, pretty complete and well assembled collection. It looks deliberate (from what I've seen). So if you considerhis vast knowledge of sneakers and know-how as an actual COLLECTOR, along with his ability to obtain the shoes once he finds them, thats tops. Thats more of anextreme case of what real collection should be, im sure some people have a collection of 10 shoes but they were all deliberate in building the big picturecollection one day, but it can never be the money alone, that in itself doesnt make you a collector.

cnoriega wrote:
I absolutely agree that some PE's are nicer than some GR's. (CP's and Ray's 5's are at the first that come to mind) And, these I would love to have, but a lot of shoes just seem so hyped and talked about..... simply for their limited nature. You have to agree that some PE's are downright ugly, no? . . . . . yet they still sell for stupid money. In a nutshell that's my whole point. I have no problem paying crazy money for a stunning shoe, but only because it's simply a pleasure to look at, not for e-fame or just so I can say I have something nobody else has.
I do agree with you, that a LOT of PE's are ugly or hyped, and not breath taking, for instance the Ray Allen opening night XI! That shoe is absolutely UGLY but that shoe because of the story behind it is INSANE and I would love to own that pair!

I guess we both have a pretty good understanding of eachothers views based on our arguments, but like I said, thank you for a gentlemens argument
smile.gif

Again....my pleasure. Civil arguments are much too rare on these boards.
smile.gif

In the end.....It's a shame more people don't go after (or admire) what they truly like............... regardless of value / production numbers.
wink.gif

If you're simply satisfied because you have some shoes nobody else has then I honestly feel sorry for you.

Originally Posted by cnoriega

Naaaaah... thats when you start from an idea that to have a great collection, you need exclusive, rare PE stuff, while i have sene collectionsthat i know have costed the same amount of money as one pair of some rare PE.

I do agree with PD1: there need to be a line (some thought) in what you are collectiong, and a certain amount of passion..... most of my shoes ouit of myvintage collection are not worth a lot, but it was hard to find them and to track them down....

Yeah and the answer would be "Those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford it".

Its individualized...... Sole was OG Jordans, then PE's, then Lebrons ... now a combo of all three PO2345 contiunes to have (along with alot of NT'erswho dont post or dont belong to a board) the best "unseen" collection... lol SPURS gives u a taste here and there.. lol Jay accumulates pieces overtime then hits u with ... 40 pair... lol cleveland222 ( if you are the gent that had the collection at Kev and Todd's show last year) had the best inperson collection of OG personally worn shoes I had ever seen... props.... whether its 5 or 500.... if you like it... fantastic........ we ( the audience ) maylove it... its all about what you like Bomb Squad- if it was JUST about cash flow.... I clearly would have had a couple more for my Bron closet.... its notthat cut and dry...... lol
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Its individualized...... Sole was OG Jordans, then PE's, then Lebrons ... now a combo of all three PO2345 contiunes to have (along with alot of NT'ers who dont post or dont belong to a board) the best "unseen" collection... lol SPURS gives u a taste here and there.. lol Jay accumulates pieces over time then hits u with ... 40 pair... lol cleveland222 ( if you are the gent that had the collection at Kev and Todd's show last year) had the best in person collection of OG personally worn shoes I had ever seen... props.... whether its 5 or 500.... if you like it... fantastic........ we ( the audience ) may love it... its all about what you like Bomb Squad- if it was JUST about cash flow.... I clearly would have had a couple more for my Bron closet.... its not that cut and dry...... lol
wink.gif

Hey Ru. Thank you, but that wasn't me. I was a bit too busy with other aspects of the show to be able to display. I'll have a fewtables at the upcoming Cinci show though. Hope you can make that one as well. I think the guy you're referring to is Tony Smalls; sick OG collection forsure.

Originally Posted by Cleveland222

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Its individualized...... Sole was OG Jordans, then PE's, then Lebrons ... now a combo of all three PO2345 contiunes to have (along with alot of NT'ers who dont post or dont belong to a board) the best "unseen" collection... lol SPURS gives u a taste here and there.. lol Jay accumulates pieces over time then hits u with ... 40 pair... lol cleveland222 ( if you are the gent that had the collection at Kev and Todd's show last year) had the best in person collection of OG personally worn shoes I had ever seen... props.... whether its 5 or 500.... if you like it... fantastic........ we ( the audience ) may love it... its all about what you like Bomb Squad- if it was JUST about cash flow.... I clearly would have had a couple more for my Bron closet.... its not that cut and dry...... lol
wink.gif
Hey Ru. Thank you, but that wasn't me. I was a bit too busy with other aspects of the show to be able to display. I'll have a few tables at the upcoming Cinci show though. Hope you can make that one as well. I think the guy you're referring to is Tony Smalls; sick OG collection for sure.

Thanks for the correction! Yes, that is who I was referring to..... =)

uhhh rajah... nuff said.
btw congrats on the new pickup and the price (or lackthereof) that you got them for is absolutely more amazing than the PE itself ! I'm looking forward tothat retirement collection post bud
wink.gif

lets be honest, money is the key. I think you can spin it that it's about other factors but when it comes down to it regardless of what criteria youfeel merits the best collection you need the money to be able to meet that criteria. I've knownt dudes who were basically indigent who knew every singleshoe that came out the last 15 years but didnt have a single one of the shoes. But because someone has the money to spend on shoes they are a better collectorthan someone who doesnt. Of course someone with a monster PE or Jordan collection will be much more revered versus someone who just bought a variety of stylesand GR shoes because that is not what is hot and limited. I think people should be comfortable and open with what they buy. Dont make excuses. Just say "ibought this shoe because it is limited. I prefer limited shoes. I like the attention it brings. Why wouldnt I and i had the money to do it". Think aboutit. If you had the cash flow what shoe couldnt you get? IS there a dunk or a jordan or a PE or a hyperstrike that you couldnt buy? The question is would youget that Jordan trunner LX, TeamShogun, Jordan Pure, Jordan Elite Low, and Jordan 6 Boot to go along with that Enimen 4? Personally thats what i look for in acollection and who i admire the most. I like to see depth and variety, common and uncommon. If you been a shoe nerd long enough you realize that at some pointall the common shoes become uncommon and the uncommon become what is always around being sold and showcased. Just my 2 cents, please be civil if you have anythoughts on the matter.

Originally Posted by BubbaEla1

lets be honest, money is the key. I think you can spin it that it's about other factors but when it comes down to it regardless of what criteria you feel merits the best collection you need the money to be able to meet that criteria. I've knownt dudes who had to use indigent mail services, wear bus shoes, use state soap and get a free call from their case manager who knew every single shoe that came out the last 15 years but didnt have a single one of the shoes. But because someone has the money to spend on shoes they are a better collector than someone who doesnt. Of course someone with a monster PE or Jordan collection will be much more revered versus someone who just bought a variety of styles and GR shoes because that is not what is hot and limited. I think people should be comfortable and open with what they buy. Dont make excuses. Just say "i bought this shoe because it is limited. I prefer limited shoes. I like the attention it brings. Why wouldnt I and i had the money to do it". Think about it. If you had the cash flow what shoe couldnt you get? IS there a dunk or a jordan or a PE or a hyperstrike that you couldnt buy? The question is would you get that Jordan trunner LX, TeamShogun, Jordan Pure, Jordan Elite Low, and Jordan 6 Boot to go along with that Enimen 4? Personally thats what i look for in a collection and who i admire the most. I like to see depth and variety, common and uncommon. If you been a shoe nerd long enough you realize that at some point all the common shoes become uncommon and the uncommon become what is always around being sold and showcased. Just my 2 cents, please be civil if you have any thoughts on the matter.

I disagree with one thing that you said. Regardless of your cash flow there are certain pairs out there that you can't buy, because they are so rare, sohard to find, that when you do find them the owner is not looking to sell.

screech5511, i stand corrected, there's always an exception or two but very rarely that is the case in shoes. And even in that case people may not belooking to sell but sometimes the offer is too good not too.
also everything kapepper posts is incredible to me. Thisdude may have my favorite collection.

uhhh rajah... nuff said.
btw congrats on the new pickup and the price (or lackthereof) that you got them for is absolutely more amazing than the PE itself ! I'm looking forward to that retirement collection post bud
wink.gif

Jayson, pleasure to meet you man, ANY friend of Raj is a friend of mine!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom