Who on here watches Pawn Stars or American Pickers?

I can't front Pawn Stars is a nice show, but watching them exposes how business is done. Everyday we pay top dollar for an item, even if that item is on Clearance we still paying more than what the business paid for it.

Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

I can't front Pawn Stars is a nice show, but watching them exposes how business is done. Everyday we pay top dollar for an item, even if that item is on Clearance we still paying more than what the business paid for it.
If businesses sold their items for cost/less than what they purchased them for....
bankruptcy.jpg

I don't understand why people are hating on them...every business is in business to make money.  And like others said, customers aren't forced to accept the pawn shop's offer.

Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

If businesses sold their items for cost/less than what they purchased them for....
bankruptcy.jpg

I don't understand why people are hating on them...every business is in business to make money.  And like others said, customers aren't forced to accept the pawn shop's offer.

I love it how they offer $800 for an item after it gets appraised for $10,000, and then the seller thinks about it then accepts.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I love it how they offer $800 for an item after it gets appraised for $10,000, and then the seller thinks about it then accepts.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

never watched pawn stars until today...i watched 5 or 6 episodes in a row

watching it again right now

Chum Lee is a herb though

never watched pawn stars until today...i watched 5 or 6 episodes in a row

watching it again right now

Chum Lee is a herb though

Originally Posted by 430AM

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

That's all set up. But if this was real life, you'd have to consider the appraisal of  $10,000 is on the high end. Low end may be $5,000. So they would almost always want HALF of what they could MAYBE get for the item. So thats $2,500... maybe?? Plus auction houses take like 20% so add in that plus your time spent, and you may be looking at offering just $1,500 when it's all said and done. I agree about $800 being far too low, but thats what they have you do to make it appealing for the tv viewers.

Most of the items we wear have a huge markup. We pay $100 for some shoes, that the shop pays $50 for. The $50 the shop gets is probably double what it cost to produce those items. So a $100 dollar shoe is maybe truly worth $25 in raw production power/materials

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

That's all set up. But if this was real life, you'd have to consider the appraisal of  $10,000 is on the high end. Low end may be $5,000. So they would almost always want HALF of what they could MAYBE get for the item. So thats $2,500... maybe?? Plus auction houses take like 20% so add in that plus your time spent, and you may be looking at offering just $1,500 when it's all said and done. I agree about $800 being far too low, but thats what they have you do to make it appealing for the tv viewers.

Most of the items we wear have a huge markup. We pay $100 for some shoes, that the shop pays $50 for. The $50 the shop gets is probably double what it cost to produce those items. So a $100 dollar shoe is maybe truly worth $25 in raw production power/materials

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I agree... It's just crazy the kind of steals and finds they get on that show. Plus the fact that they get paid for their own TV series... These dudes are living the life and must be eating real good.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But yeah doubling your money on any investment is always a great investment... Sometimes these dudes get 2-3 times that tho.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I agree... It's just crazy the kind of steals and finds they get on that show. Plus the fact that they get paid for their own TV series... These dudes are living the life and must be eating real good.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But yeah doubling your money on any investment is always a great investment... Sometimes these dudes get 2-3 times that tho.
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom