Why Do People Like The "Icy" Bottom?

I'm new to the site, but not new to the game. I understand that the clear sole looks great..............when its clear.
I wear all of my sneakers, so its really impossible to have icy bottom sneakers, that are actually icy.
I personally believe that the icy bottom is there to entice the consumer into buying, and then having to buy the retro because their pair isn't icy anymore.
Ok so thats my question. What are you answers?

Icy soles look nice when they're icey. When you see someone rocking a pair that has icey soles, they've prob just un-ds'ed them. When it's some real heat, it's
pimp.gif
. I have many pairs that started off icey that are still pretty icey. It depends on how you treat them and how much you really take care of them. I've got a few pairs that are a couple years old that are still not yellow.

Then again, I still rock my Space Jams from 00-01, and they are yellow as crap, but they're also like a badge of honor. At least this pair has Jordan Jam on it. And that sets it apart from the rest of the field of the 09 retros.

I get that zero, but I have a problem with only being able to wear kicks at certain times or places, weather included.
I love my Blk/Red Foam Ones because it doesn't matter what/where/when/or how I'm wearing them, nothin will happen to em.
But with my 5's and my Jams, I gotta wait till the summer, when its been hot the whole week so I don't run the risk of there being any water on the ground!
I bought the Motorsport 6's not because of the "premium" label, but strictly because the bottoms weren't clear.
I'll be wearing those things for years!

Originally Posted by Zero 0123

Icy soles look nice when they're icey. 

It depends on how you treat them and how much you really take care of them. I've got a few pairs that are a couple years old that are still not yellow.

^This^

Quite a few variables lead to yellowing. The depth of your concern, far as yellowing  ..AND the work you put in to attempt to prolong their life span, seem to be the defining factors.

If you're willing to pay attention to weather, dirt, schedule, etc. when deciding what to rock for the day.

..AND willing to clean after wearin'em, at LEAST every couple of wears?  ..you can keep'em nice for years.

..not to mention Seaglow.

I happen to prefer black bottom shoes, because I tire easily of maintaining the ice, BUT?

..the sole on a V or VI, does it for me, I won't front.
     ..out the box, they're so dope, and worth the effort required to maintain, IMO.

A meaningless opinion.

i don't care about the "icy" portions. it just to happens that the jordan V is one of my favorite sneakers of all time, so i've come to learn how to maintain the clear-ness of the soles and netting but i don't care either way. yellowing and age gives sneakers character.

i have '99 Vs i bought in back then high school with the most brown, poop colored soles and lemonade-colored netting but they still get worn. even though there is a hole in the midsole and they are BEAT, the discoloring doesn't change how comfortable they are and how timeless the design is.

Haha for real... I know what you mean with the MSVI's bottom.

I've been wearing my Eggplants from 09 whenever, and I swear those things are bulletproof. The soles on them aren't yellow, and they still look nice. I guess it's because the foams are built like tanks.

But yeah, I live in FL, where it rains all the time, and it doesn't really matter when to wear them. Just gotta clean them well and spray them down with shoe protector after each lengthy wear. As weird as that sounds, it's worked wonders for a lot of my clear soled kicks.

I like the icey sole because it looks great especially when its icey, it also looks good even when you're not looking at them from the bottom of the shoe simple as that

Originally Posted by RaptorNation

I get that zero, but I have a problem with only being able to wear kicks at certain times or places, weather included.
I love my Blk/Red Foam Ones because it doesn't matter what/where/when/or how I'm wearing them, nothin will happen to em.
But with my 5's and my Jams, I gotta wait till the summer, when its been hot the whole week so I don't run the risk of there being any water on the ground!
I bought the Motorsport 6's not because of the "premium" label, but strictly because the bottoms weren't clear.
i agree with this statement entirely.  just change the blk/red foams to blk/cactus and we are pretty much in the same boat.  my jams, eggs, and coppers are all still in the box waiting for a nice enough day and event to rock them to.  while my cactus and my ms 6's have seen plenty rotation.  my cactus foams have almost become my all time rainy weather shoes.

I love icey soles, whenever i rock a pair of icey kicks it gives me a feeling that I'm the freshest kid in the world, and i know that i really am.

I never really thought of an icy bottom being there to "entice the consumer into buying".

Icey bottom or not I will still have the same love for my kicks.

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar

i don't care about the "icy" portions. it just to happens that the jordan V is one of my favorite sneakers of all time, so i've come to learn how to maintain the clear-ness of the soles and netting but i don't care either way. yellowing and age gives sneakers character.

i have '99 Vs i bought in back then high school with the most brown, poop colored soles and lemonade-colored netting but they still get worn. even though there is a hole in the midsole and they are BEAT, the discoloring doesn't change how comfortable they are and how timeless the design is.

I agree with this statement 100%.......I have many pairs that are far from "icey" examples are 2000 infrareds, 99 metallic 5s, and 2000 jams. I actually love the yellowing and used look at times just because it helps show the age of  shoes. Not saying that i prefer beaters
laugh.gif
 but at times yellowing is not all that bad.

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar

i have '99 Vs i bought in back then high school with the most brown, poop colored soles and lemonade-colored netting but they still get worn.
had to quote myself and take a pic... this actually makes them look good
laugh.gif
much worse in real life.

aDmxf.jpg

11+ years later and i can still remember strolling in to foot locker one weekend and just picking these up my sophomore year of HS.  i always dug them and saw pics of myself as a kid wearing them, so i saw them in the store and HAD to scrape together my chump change and get a pair.  these got rocked to HS football games, parties, gym class, b-ball, then brought them with me to college...

it's not about the yellowing, it's about the sneaker. 
pimp.gif

Yeag Icy Soles do look nice... But when they turn piss-yellow not so much, but it does give them a nice vintage look as long as the rest of the shoe is clean. As I live in South Florida, my clear soled Jays don't stay as clear as long as I'd like (Runs to buy Seaglow) But I still rock'em

I get the vintage thing; and the nostalgia of your younger years.
So that begs another question (related of course):

Would you have felt the same way if those shoes you bought from the 00's had solid bottoms on them?
If the 2000 Space Jams had blue tinted bottoms, would you look at them with the same reminiscing?

Oh and GG:
I'm from Canada, so we're kind've in the same boat, just different ends of the thermometer

They keep your feet cold bro... nawl but its just a sign of cleaniness, its like how people talk about bein icey, looks flashy know what im sayin... btw they did a good job on the sole for varsity red VI's, I wear em just for fun now and still ice cold.... I took my Space Jams out the box before I went to NYC a few weeks ago and the sole was already turning :/, so I just wore them...

I have a few kicks that have clear soles, and I have did nothing to preserve their "iciness". It really doesn't matter to me. You guys have to understand that Tinker is more of an innovator and artist than he is a shoe designer. MANY, MANY OF HIS DESIGNS WERE NEVER MADE WITH DURABILITY IN MIND. Anyone with half  a brain knows that the one part of your sneaker that is impossible to keep dirt off of is the out sole. It's constantly touching the ground. Why would you design a shoe with a out sole that is destroyed by EVERYTHING?

HEAT
DIRT
DUST
SMOKE
AND EVEN LIGHT!!!!!

The answer is, because Tinker designed shoes with only one person in mind, and that was Michael. Who cares what the consumer thought? Michael was more that hoop star, the man was and still is an ICON. If Michael wore them, we would buy them. Even if you thought that they were ugly at first, they started to look good when he dunked on John Starks in them, or scored 47 points in them, or won a championship in them.

Originally Posted by RaptorNation

I agree with this 100% that's why i buy 2-3 pairs of the kicks i really like so i can wear one pair any were at any time and keep a fresh pair as back up

icyyy soles are nice, but like a lot of people said, yellowing shows the age of your sneaker, and that you actually arent scared to wear your FIREEEE =P......thats why i like buying 2 pairs of shoes i know are gonna be rare, one to wear and one to keep DS.....i kinda screwed myself and sold my other pair of spacejams so when the cool grey XI's come out, sure as hell ima have 2 pairs of those......oh yeah NIGHT VISION VI's PEEP THOSE, CAN'T WAIT [[=

Back
Top Bottom