Why Do People Like The "Icy" Bottom?

It is definitely possible to keep icy bottoms icy.... I've been doing it since the Retro 5s in 2007

clean your bottoms, wear with care and stay out of the rain

/thread

It's not as if JB's slappin'ice on ALL retros.  ..only a few #'s sport'em. Those #'s are also some of the more popular #'d models.

Even if you follow the line of thought that shoes are meant to be worn, & obviously the sole bottom of a shoe takes the most "abuse", by default?  ..it doesn't require you be obsessive-compulsive to maintain the ice. Feel like some heads think it to be more work than it is. Blah.

Far as why would people spend their money on a clear soled shoe, knowing it will not look like it does out the box, for the duration of its life?
Let's not forget, many of us are buying our own skips, have jobs, maybe houses?  ..cars?  ..not nuts to think that someone who'd be willing to shell out 150 for a pair of skips, would also be willing to put in a lil'old fashioned elbow grease to maintain what they deem to be an investment.  ..just sayin'.

The only ice-bottomed skips I own are V's & VI's.  ..don't mess w/XI  ..just not for me. Blah.
I buy a V or VI because of the nostalgia associated w/them, for me, AND because the ice makes them diff. than most shoes out BECAUSE of the bottoms.

I wouldn't be buying VII's w/ice bottoms if they dropped, feel me?

By far & away most shoes I own have black bottoms, I own more AM's than Jordan's. I also wouldn't be buying AM's w/clear soles. It's not the ice to me, as much as it is what the ice in combination w/those models means to my brain when I see'em. I wear all my shoes regularly, & I don't feel it's too much work to maintain the bottoms on the 3 or 4 pairs I rock currently w/ice. That said, If I know it's gonna'rain, I choose Timbs  ..or a pair I don't care about as much, that obviously have no ice. Blah.

To each their own  ..but I have zero issue paying out MY hard earned money for a V or VI, knowing that the sole will not stay mint visually.

A meaningless opinion.

Originally Posted by RaptorNation

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

Originally Posted by GreatestGoliath

You want the real answer why We Like Icy Soles? Its simple. People are like cats, we like shiny like objects.... be it gold, bling, to Icy things. If you really think about it this psychologically makes sense....
Haha GG
Thats actually a little sad when you put it that way.
Hopefully people start thinking about the business side of things; and a few opinions might change.
What's your thoughts on the use of clear bottoms to increase demand for retros?
Sorry dude but i don't get you if you don't like icy soles don't buy simple lol as for why people like it is because it looks nice that's it

And as for use of clear bottoms to increase demand for retros .........

W.T.F. are you talking about i think that's a better question
laugh.gif
Thanks for the well informed response. I wish I could get a little more insight to your thoughts, but that would be like entering an EMPTY cave without a flashlight.
As I've stated before, I don't buy retros with clear bottoms, and will not be in the future.
I would love to buy the cool grey 11, which would help me complete my cool grey pack (3's,4's,9's 11's), but clear bottoms are a no for me.
I'm more interested in why people are buying if they know what the economic ramifications are, and since GG has agreed, I'm obviously not the only one.
I understand what your saying that's why i said if you feel its a waste of money to buy kicks that have an icy bottom that's going to yellow just don't buy again simple everything gets old with age nothing stays in perfect condition unless you never use it and in this case even when you don't wear some kicks they still age so its up to you as a consumer to make decision to buy are don't buy simple and that's about it

Some people on here are major sneaker heads and spent $300 and up every month or couple months on kicks you think they care about yellowing soles there still going to buy because they want the lateness air jordan at any cost its sad i know but that's really what separates the rich from the poor bad financial thinking i only buy 4 kicks a year sometimes less why....

Because i believe there is no point spending all my money i make on sneakers making Jordan and Jordan brand even richer and me staying poor that's why  i always have money compared to my other friends who spend there lost dime to get kicks and clothes hope this answered your question.

Is it me or do gray/blueish soles stay looking better rhan clear soles. The grey/blue shoes turn kinda green but not brown.

Examples of grey/blue soles

nike-zoom-kobe-4-carpe-diem-11.jpg

eggplant-foamposite-restock-2.jpg

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Is it me or do gray/blueish soles stay looking better rhan clear soles. The grey/blue shoes turn kinda green but not brown.

nike-zoom-kobe-4-carpe-diem-11.jpg

eggplant-foamposite-restock-2.jpg
I can get behind this kind of outsole. I have the MPLS Kobe IV with the blue translucent sole and will have them for many years to come.
These types of soles are a better decision than clear soles like the already yellowed on release date 09 Space Jams.
As apposed to earlier posts that state people are "stupid" and buy frivolously on "what they like" is buying clear bottom soled sneakers then reduced to just an uninformed, stubborn purchase?
Maybe we can make Nike/JB change for once and actually listen die hard fans out there

I can get behind this kind of outsole. I have the MPLS Kobe IV with the blue translucent sole and will have them for many years to come.
These types of soles are a better decision than clear soles like the already yellowed on release date 09 Space Jams.
As apposed to earlier posts that state people are "stupid" and buy frivolously on "what they like" is buying clear bottom soled sneakers then reduced to just an uninformed, stubborn purchase?
Maybe we can make Nike/JB change for once and actually listen die hard fans out there
I like how you completely ignored my post to continue arguing after i clearly give you the answer to your question

At this point i think your just bitter why i don't know but why are yo so against icy bottoms why do you care if people buy them smh at this thread

pointless
tired.gif

Nikekidwonder i agree with you on that,ive cut back on shoe buying,but it has to really stick out or it has to be a shoe ive been waiting on for years,i like that i bought alot of retro,s/shoes from 99-2008,i calmed down heavy in 2009,and in 2010 until this summer picks up,next winter will be hard to resist though.

icey soles look sick on ppls feet and just sitting there...but once they arent so icey anymore they look terrible. Yellowing sucks and looks bad. That is why I try and take good care of my icey soled kicks so they don't turn yellow. My 2001 space jams have been worn on the court a few times and are still pristine with absolutely no yellowing whatsoever. Nonetheless, they are just shoes no matter how rare/hot they are so wear them and anticipate that your icey soles will get dirty and turn yellow. Then you can either continue to wear them even though they are yellow or get rid of them and get a new pair. Yes, Nike/JB prefers if you do the latter.

I like how you completely ignored my post to continue arguing after i clearly give you the answer to your question

At this point i think your just bitter why i don't know but why are yo so against icy bottoms why do you care if people buy them smh at this thread

pointless
tired.gif
I didn't really mean to ignore you, I just didn't understand the correlation between only buying 4 pairs of sneakers a year, and buying shoes that yellow?
Wouldn't you want to buy shoes that will last you longer if you're buying such a limited amount?

Originally Posted by GreatestGoliath

You want the real answer why We Like Icy Soles? Its simple. People are like cats, we like shiny like objects.... be it gold, bling, to Icy things. If you really think about it this psychologically makes sense....
Haha GG
Thats actually a little sad when you put it that way.
Hopefully people start thinking about the business side of things; and a few opinions might change.
What's your thoughts on the use of clear bottoms to increase demand for retros?
Sorry dude but i don't get you if you don't like icy soles don't buy simple lol as for why people like it is because it looks nice that's it

And as for use of clear bottoms to increase demand for retros .........

W.T.F. are you talking about i think that's a better question
laugh.gif
Thanks for the well informed response. I wish I could get a little more insight to your thoughts, but that would be like entering an EMPTY cave without a flashlight.
As I've stated before, I don't buy retros with clear bottoms, and will not be in the future.
I would love to buy the cool grey 11, which would help me complete my cool grey pack (3's,4's,9's 11's), but clear bottoms are a no for me.
I'm more interested in why people are buying if they know what the economic ramifications are, and since GG has agreed, I'm obviously not the only one.
I understand what your saying that's why i said if you feel its a waste of money to buy kicks that have an icy bottom that's going to yellow just don't buy again simple everything gets old with age nothing stays in perfect condition unless you never use it and in this case even when you don't wear some kicks they still age so its up to you as a consumer to make decision to buy are don't buy simple and that's about it

Some people on here are major sneaker heads and spent $300 and up every month or couple months on kicks you think they care about yellowing soles there still going to buy because they want the lateness number air Jordan at any cost its sad i know but that's really what separates the rich from the poor bad financial thinking i only buy 4 kicks a year sometimes less why....

Because i believe there is no point spending all my money i make on sneakers making Jordan and Jordan brand even richer and me staying poor that's why  i always have money compared to my other friends who spend there lost dime to get kicks and clothes hope this answered your question.
Did u even brother to read that part ?

That clearly answers your question you asked why people buy icy bottom kicks when they know its going to yellow there is your answer

^^^^My response to that was:
Are people really making uninformed and stubborn purchasing decisions?

And I'm sorry you feel this question is pointless but I was trying to answer a question that I've asked myself, and came up with an answer that is different from others.
So I was looking for a rational reason as to why? I didn't know that the only reason is an irrational one.

Secondly, I thought it was a worthwhile topic, as NT is covered with "copped x 2" and "ROBO COPPED"
So I thought intellectual conversation would be welcomed. I apologize if I was wrong on that front.

^^Hey Raptornation, you mentioned earlier that your Foamposite eggplants will take you to hell and back but don't Foamposite's soles get yellow also? The eggplants look like they have clear soles too.  I haven't had Foamposite's since the Penny's in 1997.  So don't Foamposite sole's turn yellow also or do they just turn yellow much slower?  Can someone breakdown the yellowing for Foamposite's.....

Originally Posted by Finn

^^Hey Raptornation, you mentioned earlier that your Foamposite eggplants will take you to hell and back but don't Foamposite's soles get yellow also? The eggplants look like they have clear soles too.  I haven't had Foamposite's since the Penny's in 1997.  So don't Foamposite sole's turn yellow also or do they just turn yellow much slower?  Can someone breakdown the yellowing for Foamposite's.....
I have the 09s and have beat em up and with proper cleaning/care, aren't much yellow at all. And yes, with foams, thet'll take you to hell and back.

Originally Posted by Zero 0123

Icy soles look nice when they're icey. When you see someone rocking a pair that has icey soles, they've prob just un-ds'ed them. When it's some real heat, it's
pimp.gif
. I have many pairs that started off icey that are still pretty icey. It depends on how you treat them and how much you really take care of them. I've got a few pairs that are a couple years old that are still not yellow.

Then again, I still rock my Space Jams from 00-01, and they are yellow as crap, but they're also like a badge of honor. At least this pair has Jordan Jam on it. And that sets it apart from the rest of the field of the 09 retros.
this just about sums it up

Originally Posted by Finn

I was actually talking about the Black/Cactus joints. They have a solid rubber outsole, so no discoloration. Depending on where you take them, the shoe really won't change at all.
That's what I call fresh!

^^^ I see, yeah I remember the Foamposite's being durable back in 1997, haven't copped a pair since. I remember using them for a few months and giving them away and they were still in good condition. It's one of the worst decisions I ever made in the shoe game.

I see a LOT of nonsense replies in here. Dudes keep contradicting what they say ever other post. Foolishness.

A certain person specifically, but I won't call them out.

Just buy the shoes if you like them, and if you don't........then don't. It's really that simple.

People are getting away from the topic......
The question is why do "heads" like sneakers with icy soles that yellow*
over solid color soles that don't change?

I think you're making this seem to be that people buy sneakers only because they have icy soles.
Icy soles are a plus to some people, but there is more to a shoe then just the sole.

If someone's favorite Jordan are the XI's, it's easy to distinguish it because of the soles.

But it is not the only reason n why it's purchased. 

icy soles are beautiful when first u cop em and i dont think anyone can disagree with that
i just think some ppl over react when the sole starts to yellow and they freak out .. but there are ways to manage it
most of the shoes with icy soles are some of the dopest shoes out there.. aj 5,6,11 and foams and all those are dope without an icy sole (MS 6, bred 11, black/catus foams)
and i dont think ppl are necessarily obsessed with icy soles.. just obsessed with the iconic shoes that theyre attacthed to lol

Originally Posted by n1rb

icy soles are beautiful when first u cop em and i dont think anyone can disagree with that
i just think some ppl over react when the sole starts to yellow and they freak out .. but there are ways to manage it
most of the shoes with icy soles are some of the dopest shoes out there.. aj 5,6,11 and foams and all those are dope without an icy sole (MS 6, bred 11, black/catus foams)
and i dont think ppl are necessarily obsessed with icy soles.. just obsessed with the iconic shoes that theyre attacthed to lol
That makes sense. So in your opinion, do you think people would still enjoy those models as much without the icy sole?
For example: The columbia 11 with a blue tint, or the infrared 6 with the charcoal bottom?

Back
Top Bottom