Why Do People Like The "Icy" Bottom?

Originally Posted by RaptorNation

That makes sense. So in your opinion, do you think people would still enjoy those models as much without the icy sole?
For example: The columbia 11 with a blue tint, or the infrared 6 with the charcoal bottom?
If they released the Columbia XI with the blue tint like on the OG's, I'd be so much happier than the retros with the icey clear sole. The blue tint was
pimp.gif

I love my 5's! these are the reason i started my shoe colletion. All my shoes are on ice!..But screw that! I just relised that I'm now thirty years old and i had my collection since my mid 20's. I wore my 5's for the first time and after that same day they already started getting yellow from dirt. I didn't care, I felt awsome wearing a shoe i admirded on an older cat when i was 8 years old. I felt like the issh!!  Regardless who cares about yellowing as long as you feel great sporting your kicks ..which thats what they are meant for! Screw Display Collections all they do is collect Dust! Rock your Kickz!! -
tongue.gif
 ponyboy

"Icy soles" are the funniest part of the sneaker world to me.  Never once cared about the soles of my shoes and I never will.  I keep my sneakers clean and will maintain everything but the sole.  I'm not going to spend time maintaining, worrying, or getting hyped about the bottom of a sneaker. 

If you need to have icy soles to get a compliment from some other dude (any female ever given you compliment about icy soles that's above the age of 15?) then you probably have some insecurity issues.  And seriously, how many people on here have gotten a compliment on their icy soles from someone besides a sneakerhead/hypebeast?

I am glad that so many "sneakerheads" are anal about yellow soles though, makes buying slightly used kicks on eBay a hell of a lot cheaper.

Originally Posted by abernja

I see a LOT of nonsense replies in here. Dudes keep contradicting what they say ever other post. Foolishness.

A certain person specifically, but I won't call them out.

Just buy the shoes if you like them, and if you don't........then don't. It's really that simple.

I will

is it nikekidwonder?

these are basketball shoes that were only meant for indoor basketball use. Wearing them casually would be exposing the icey soles to more elements which can speed up the yellowing process. Just think if all the spacejams in the world were only used for indoor basketball, how many icey soles there would be in the world lol. I dunno im rambling because im buzzed.

Oh and touching on that point that was mentioned above about the greyish-blue tinted soles, ...I've seen some game pics of jordan wearing the Concords and Spacejams and I couldve swore that his version looked like a greyish-clear tinted sole. I dont know if it was the pic or what, but it didn't look clear. I started noticing it when I was looking at the DS OG XI's people were selling. It seems that the original's sole was made to be less sensitive to the elements than its later retro releases. It seems as if every pair of OG concords/columbias I've seen that have no yellowing what so ever, but every pair of DS Retro Concords or spacejams are all slighty yellowed at best. Its just a 'buzzed' theory of mine...lol

Originally Posted by swishasweets

Originally Posted by abernja

I see a LOT of nonsense replies in here. Dudes keep contradicting what they say ever other post. Foolishness.

A certain person specifically, but I won't call them out.

Just buy the shoes if you like them, and if you don't........then don't. It's really that simple.

I will is it nikekidwonder?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

insecure sneakerheads want everyone to know that they have "new" shoes and want to impress peers. maybe i am wrong, but i doubt it.

icey sole is just too beautiful. The design is just so........
words can't capture what I want to say...lol

For me, it's definitely nostalgic. we never seen anything like it when the 5s dropped.

Yellow don't really bother me as long as the rest of the shoe still looks good.

I hate yellowed soles more than I love icey bottoms.  My Space Jams are already yellowed.  My DMPs(which I only wore once) are reeeeeally yellow. 

I like Icy bottoms because it makes them look clean..
but as the years go on, yellowing becomes acceptable to me.

Originally Posted by LanZeR23

I like Icy bottoms because it makes them look clean..
but as the years go on, yellowing becomes acceptable to me.
The whole nostalgia thing makes sense, but for me, I don't feel I should be having to acquire a taste for a product I'm buying.
I take care of my kicks because I want them to last me years and years; I want to be able to enjoy them until its time to pass them on to a son or nephew.
But that would seem an impossible dream, if these things aren't being made to last that long.
I mean I know the bottoms are just bottoms, but if I take the time to care for the shoes, why am I not being rewarded with something that atleast shows minimal decay.

Back
Top Bottom