Why do you believe that there is a god?

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by OnTheNephs

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

QFE, I honestly think there needs to be a separate thread breaking down into layman's terms simple scientific concepts-Some of these questions are
alien.gif

Evolution doesn't happen overnight, if you put aside the erroneous claim that the earth is 3000 years old or whatever the bible says it is you can put this into perspective

To answer that question you also need to understand the PURPOSE of evolution, all living things aren't convergently evolving to become more like humans. Living things evolve GRADUALLY to better adapt to their environment

Bacteria are excellent organisms to study evolution in because their reproductive cycle is rapid
. We are in a constant evolutionary arm race with microbes, we make drugs/vaccines or develop defenses to diseases and the bacteria ADAPT to this by changing their genetic make up to counteract our defenses. It's called the "red queen effect" and it's a perfect example of evolution on a smaller scale.

SMH someone give him the survival of the fittest lecture, i'm tired
30t6p3b.gif
Bro.. I am from Egypt. My own country's civilization is older than 7000 years old,  i never said the earth was 3000 years old. I never said things need to evolve to become like humans, I asked specifically what specie has evolved to an entirely different specie and has produced genders with in that specie where their reproductive organs are different, yet their physical appereance is identical. I asked the same damn question 4  times now and really you guys telling me that evolution happens because of these circumstances does not answer that q.

So evolution happens to maintain the survival of a certain specie over millions of years. Thats cool. I got that, please do not answer my question with that response.

BTW this is how i feel when sillyputty keeps asking me to prove it.
I'm not even trolling, but I really and truly do NOT understand what you're asking me here. 

I don't even know if thats possible. Not saying its impossible...but I don't know if that has even been witnessed to assert how it happens in the first place. 

actually, I can. If I'm understanding him right. To answer your question, look at every single species in both animalia and plantea. Lol. Umm... Ya so chimps, gorillas, sharks, deer, dogs, cats, frogs, bats, rats, geckos, trout, daisies, roses, redwoods, and sunflowers. Just to name a few. All of these different species of organisms all have evolved from another species and have both males and females who look almost if not exactly identical. And almost all the animals have penises and vaginas.

And onthenephs if you mean me as the "new guy". If my "lecture" was 12th grade biology, then how come you dont understand it? So youre saying you dont understand 12th grade biology? In the 12th grade you were learning about bioinformatics? Well then can you please post me the global alignment of all forms of KRAS found in humans, zebrafish, and fruit fly? Or was I not mistaken and you really dont know 12th grade biology?

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

it's funny how the most foundational scientists didn't spend their days bashing religion. they followed their passion.

alot of u guys are like armchair scientists. fake med students. college students who wanna be doctors. cats who hit google or wiki to provide articles for their own lack of opinion. religious extremists are as equally annoying as unintelligent people who play professor.

a lot of them actually have done bashing. Whats funny is you thinking that you need an md or phd to have an educated opinion on science. Or that you even need those to have educated yourself in science. that is the problem with people today. They dont take it upon themselves to PROPERLY educate themselves in science. Also, I think mostly everyone here posting on science topics and defending science theories does have the qualifications too. Youre a little too quick to judge and assume without having added any science information to benefit the discussion.

it's funny how the most foundational scientists didn't spend their days bashing religion. they followed their passion.

alot of u guys are like armchair scientists. fake med students. college students who wanna be doctors. cats who hit google or wiki to provide articles for their own lack of opinion. religious extremists are as equally annoying as unintelligent people who play professor.

AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

Now that you have exposed me as not having a Bachelors, Masters degree, not following my passion and being in med school- I should say it doesn't take much intelligence and credentials to make arguments against religion
ohwell.gif

Atheists are pretty annoying, but unlike religious extremists they don't blow up market places because "God" told them to

Challenge any wiki articles that were posted and Im certain we could show you other sources

Idk. I just feel like the universe was made and worked out so perfectly that something had to be behind it other than an explosion that put everything perfectly in place. I believe God created science, too.

Originally Posted by So Slickening

Idk. I just feel like the universe was made and worked out so perfectly that something had to be behind it other than an explosion that put everything perfectly in place. I believe God created science, too.

what created God?

I dont think things were put perfectly in place. Earth is, so far, the only proven planet to hold intelligent life. 1 planet, out of potentially millions? Sheer luck and random chance that our planet was able to come together the way it did.

AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

Now that you have exposed me as not having a Bachelors, Masters degree, not following my passion and being in med school- I should say it doesn't take much intelligence and credentials to make arguments against religion
ohwell.gif

Atheists are pretty annoying, but unlike religious extremists they don't blow up market places because "God" told them to

Challenge any wiki articles that were posted and Im certain we could show you other sources

People are plenty !@++$! up without religion, Hitler killed millions. 

Originally Posted by RevTheJedi

And he chose to help you, and forsake others who pray for his help?

Typical religious egotistical bullcrap
ohwell.gif
me me me me me, God loves ME don't care about the guy down the street

Do you pray? Do you expect whatever you pray for to happen? I don't try to explain it, I've lived a very blessed life or maybe I'm just lucky. You can make your case for why believing in god is illogical or non-sensical; I couldnt be happier with where I am in life, and I think my faith has something to do with that. Good thing I'm a Poli Sci major, I dont think I have the brains for Philosophy.

Being happy doesn't mean someone 
A. Created you

B. Said you have to worship it

C. said you have to acknowledge it

D. answers prayers. 

I never said it did. Thats the problem with these types of conversations, Athiests they always think you're trying to "prove" this to them when they already know it can't be "proven" by their standards.

Fake scientists?
I should slap you.

I WORK IN A LAB AND DO RESEARCH YOU...
mad.gif
... I need to claim down. 

I've taken classes that made me research this stuff. I have an undergrad degree if a hard science.

I dare you to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. 

YOu don't need a degree to learn scientific fact. 

Atheism- a disbelief in the existence of a diety.
Or in other words a belief that God or gods do not exist.

This entire thread sillputty has asserted that if you believe in something, or you assert something then you have to prove it, or else anybody can go around saying anything and always be right.

Well, I'm still waiting for one of you guys to prove that God does not exist. If you believe that there is no God, then prove it.

See how that works? While I work on trying to prove my beliefs(God exists), you work on proving your beliefs(God does not exists).
Neither of which can be proven. So why are we having this argument again?

Oh. I remeber why. Beacuse the OP asked why do you believe in God, and when people came out to give their personal reasons why they believe, out came all of the atheists
asking them to prove it. Which is just as a ridiculous question as prove why God doesnt exist.

None of you have the answer, so stop arguing like you do have the answer.

/thread

Originally Posted by So Slickening

So perfectly?
So the fact that a blood clot from a vein that too small means its perfect?

Congential birth defects?

natural disasters?

You know, the world wasn't made with YOU in mind. 

Additionally, you BELIEVE science created god. You can't prove it though, so why say it? Why would god create a means to learn about the world when that same god could save millions of people from dying by revealing scientific advancements to them?

Originally Posted by kix4kix

AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

ohwell.gif

People are plenty !@++$! up without religion, Hitler killed millions. 

I swear you don't know anything.
Good people do good things

Bad people do bad things.

Oh yeah, here is what you forgot HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN.

Have you even READ Mein Kampf? No. Exactly. Sit your sorry, jumping to conclusions ___ down. 
indifferent.gif

Here is a belt from a Nazi Uniform

Inscribed GOD IS WITH US.

Any other stupid statements?

buckle.jpeg

Do you pray? Do you expect whatever you pray for to happen? I don't try to explain it, I've lived a very blessed life or maybe I'm just lucky. You can make your case for why believing in god is illogical or non-sensical; I couldnt be happier with where I am in life, and I think my faith has something to do with that. Good thing I'm a Poli Sci major, I dont think I have the brains for Philosophy.

Being happy doesn't mean someone 
A. Created you

B. Said you have to worship it

C. said you have to acknowledge it

D. answers prayers. 

I never said it did. Thats the problem with these types of conversations, Athiests they always think you're trying to "prove" this to them when they already know it can't be "proven" by their standards.

If you say a god exists, why should I believe you if you can't prove it? 
Otherwise I don't have to subscribe to the claim. 

The problem is, religious people use evidence and proof to justify every other thing they do without using that same standard for religion. 

The problem is, religious people use evidence and proof to justify every other thing they do without using that same standard for religion. 

If you say God doesnt exist, why should I believe you if you cant prove it?

Otherwise I dont have to subscribe to the claim.

The problem is, athiests, use evidence and proof to justify every other thing they do without using that same standard for atheism.

Originally Posted by JaysRcrak

Atheism- a disbelief in the existence of a diety.
Or in other words a belief that God or gods do not exist.

This entire thread sillputty has asserted that if you believe in something, or you assert something then you have to prove it, or else anybody can go around saying anything and always be right.

Well, I'm still waiting for one of you guys to prove that God does not exist. If you believe that there is no God, then prove it.

See how that works? While I work on trying to prove my beliefs(God exists), you work on proving your beliefs(God does not exists).
Neither of which can be proven. So why are we having this argument again?

Oh. I remeber why. Beacuse the OP asked why do you believe in God, and when people came out to give their personal reasons why they believe, out came all of the atheists
asking them to prove it. Which is just as a ridiculous question as prove why God doesnt exist.

None of you have the answer, so stop arguing like you do have the answer.

/thread
Atheism is combination of the prefix A= meaning lack and Theism = belief in a god or diety or religion.
A+theism = lack of belief in a god diety or religion.

What do you call someone who doesn't collect stamps?

What do you call someone who doesn't play football?

What do you call someone who doesn't ride horses? 

Astampist

Afootballist?

Ahorsebackridist?

No.

Atheism should not even exist as a word. It only does in the presence of the numbers of beliefs of different faiths.

Atheism is not a faith. Its not a club. Are all the people that don't drive SUVs in an ideological club? Are all the people that have a stance on the political climate in south sudan on the same side of the table? They arent even in the conversation! 

Religion is like different faiths battling each other on the field...atheists are not in the equation, they're in the stands watching the scene unfold. 

What is so hard to understand that some people just do not believe in ANY gods but you all do.

I can not prove god exists.

I have said this before.

I CAN NOT PROVE GOD EXISTS.

I can however say, the evidence that supports the claim a god exists does not support the claim enough to prove it.

Does a random occurrence you can't explain prove god? No it just means that something happened you cant explain or you just don't know why it happened.

The EVIDENCE SUGGESTED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD DOES NOT SUPPORT THE CLAIM.

IN COURT YOU ARE INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. YOU ARE SEEN BY THE LAW HAS HAVEN'T TO BE SUPPORTED BY THE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE CONCLUSION THAT YOU ARE GUILTY. 

THATS WHY CASEY ANTHONY AND OJ GOT OFF...THE EVIDENCE DID NOT COMPLETELY SUPPORT THE CLAIM THAT THEY WERE GUILTY, THUS THE CLAIM CAN NOT BE SUPPORTED. 

Does the fact that i had a grilled cheese sandwich support the notion that I drive an acura? No, then the conclusion can't be supported. 

You can't disprove a negative. Its a mathematical and logical fact.

Additionally EVIDENCE only SUPPORTS CLAIMS. It does not disprove claims. 

"disprove" is a misnomer. Its easy to say in common speech but this is not what happens.

It supports claims to a greater extent than the previous claims. 

If the evidence supports claim B better than claim A then claim B is the accepted one. A is not "disproved" per se. It is simply not supported by the evidence as much as it says it is. 

THE CONCLUSION OR CLAIM IS SUPPORTED BY EVIDENCE or PROOF.

Originally Posted by JaysRcrak

If you say God doesnt exist, why should I believe you if you cant prove it?

Otherwise I dont have to subscribe to the claim.

The problem is, athiests, use evidence and proof to justify every other thing they do without using that same standard for atheism.
You shouldn't believe me. You should ask yourself. Does the evidence you have for the existence of a god stand on its own?
There is no "standard" for atheism

You are an atheist to the THOUSANDS of other gods that humanity has recognized at one point or another.

I take it one step further and am an atheist to YOUR god. 

And...you're wrong. Sorry. Thats not how it works. I don't ask people to disprove things. You ask for what their evidence is for reaching a conclusion and see if the evidence supports the claim.

You learned about god before you really probably had a chance to even question if it made sense. I bet there was a bunch of stuff you learned as a kid that if someone told you to accept now that you would 
roll.gif
 at them and just walk off... Yet when it comes to religion, you're told to not question it. Why? Are you scared you might be wrong? How will you know if you don't question it? Why can't you sit back and step aside and say, why do I believe what I believe? 

Does the evidence I use to support the existence of a god stand up to not only accepted and more substantiated scientific fact and my own confirmation bias? You'll be surprised that much of it does NOT support the claim that a god exists but things that can be explained through other means. 

So can you disprove the fact that there is a giant pink teapot on the other side of the sun right now? Where is your proof that there isn't something there?

Thats my point. YOU CAN NOT PROVE A NEGATIVE. 

Bravo. You have come full circle. You can't prove your beliefs, not even scientifically. You are exactly what you've been arguing against this whole time. in other words you've been arguing against yourself. this whole time. the irony.

Originally Posted by man listen

Bravo. You have come full circle. You can't prove your beliefs, not even scientifically. You are exactly what you've been arguing against this whole time. in other words you've been arguing against yourself. this whole time. the irony.

MY GOODNESS... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? 

ARE YOU ALL THIS DAFT?!

I DO NOT HAVE BELIEFS.

I BACK UP EVERY THING WHAT I'M SAYING WITH FACTS AND EVIDENCE AND PROOF THAT CONFIRM THE CONCLUSION.

IF I CAN'T SUPPORT THE CLAIM THAT UNICORNS OR WHITE GIRLS WITH FAT _____ EXIST WITH EVIDENCE THEN I DO NOT SUPPORT THE CLAIM!

What do I believe in? 
Nothing. 

I don't believe in anything.

I support notions based on evidence that substantiates claims.

Belief is a dangerous word. It asserts that you can just support an idea for no reason. 

I've read more about religion than most people, not that such a thing should impress you, but I know more about the history of various religions and the claims they assert to know that they are all lies. All of them. 

We are going to die. 

thats it. 

We make up coping mechanisms to deal with the fact. We create gods and afterlives and these wonderful places they go and stories of what happens to bad people. We want people to get their "due" in the end. Its an accounting system. It helps to make life easier. Its a mental drug...

Why won't I let you off the hook? Because you wont let yourself off. I don't care what you believe but don't cross my path with things that dont make sense. Lets be honest, if you learned about the concept of "god" for the VERY first time as a 21 year old you would look at that person like 
roll.gif
 and just walk off. None of it makes sense...especially in the concept of religion.

I don't like seeing people waste their time. Imagine if all the effort we spend on praying and religion, if we spend on science and developing new ways of understanding physics and solving the worlds engineering problems? What if we tried to develop more modern ethical systems and understandings of morality? What if we tried to explore the cosmos even more? 

Why waste your time on a lie? You don't lose sleep over hinduism, islam, or wiccans. Why lose sleep over YOUR god? Thats the point. 

I don't have all the answers but to insert "god" into it doesn't solve anything. It doesn't bring us any closer to understanding that much more about the lives we live and the world we live in or the universe beyond that. 

Whats more is that YOU KNOW THIS. You don't implore that sort of logic ANYWHERE ELSE. You still look both ways before crossing the street, you're skeptical of emails from nigerian princes, you still study very hard for exams, you still hit the gym, you still treat other people courteously, you still seek for new ways to learn and do things...all in spite of prayer. You don't need to believe in a god to be a good person. You don't need to believe in a god to learn more. The "god" thing is a dying way to understand the world. For the most part we have moved beyond that as a society. Its still clinging on because it has power. Thats to be expected but they know what time it is. People are becoming more educated and simply losing faith in a system that they KNOW is illogical. 

try to talk your way around it all you want, it doesn't change anything. the lack of belief IS a belief. basic semantics. "I don't believe in unicorns" = "I believe there are no unicorns". "I do not have beliefs" = "I believe in nothing". your "belief" is simply phrased in the negative. I believe in God = I don't believe there isn't a God. your whole argument has been that a belief in God cannot be proven. meanwhile your position is that there is no God. a negative position. and then we have this...

sillyputty wrote:

you typed out a bunch of other stuff but it's irrelevant. fact is, you BELIEVE that there is no God and argue against people who BELIEVE there is a God because they can't prove it to you. you believe there is no God...

sillyputty wrote:

try to talk your way around it all you want, it doesn't change anything. the lack of belief IS a belief. basic semantics. "I don't believe in unicorns" = "I believe there are no unicorns". "I do not have beliefs" = "I believe in nothing". your "belief" is simply phrased in the negative. I believe in God = I don't believe there isn't a God. your whole argument has been that a belief in God cannot be proven. meanwhile your position is that there is no God. a negative position. and then we have this...

sillyputty wrote:

you typed out a bunch of other stuff but it's irrelevant. fact is, you BELIEVE that there is no God and argue against people who BELIEVE there is a God because they can't prove it to you. you believe there is no God...

sillyputty wrote:

Bruh. I have said this time and time again. 
Read the thread.

I don't BELIEVE there is no god. There is no EVIDENCE to suppor the conclusion that there is a god.

Why should I support that conclusion, especially the conclusion of YOUR god if you can't prove it? If you provide evidence that your god exists then i'll see if it supports the claim then, i'll accept it that yes, Man_Listen's god exists.

Until then you have no evidence to support your claim.

There COULD be a god. There could be the loch ness. There could be chuthlu. There could be a green monster under my bed. But there is no evidence to support that claim bruh. 

I do not have a belief that god can't be proven. It COULD be proven. ANYTHING could be proven...but the difference between things that are proven and things that are not...is PROOF.

There could very well be a god...like there very well be the Higgs-Boson, or a cure for cancer or a cure for aids...but the only thing that takes it out of the realm of "could be" and a realm of IS is the fact that there is PROOF and EVIDENCE to support the claim!

You believe there is a god. I'm asking you where your evidence is to support that claim. 

Should someone believe you when you say that UGA is going to be the best team in college football and ask them to disprove you? Or do you show them your evidence and data to back up your claim of why you support that conclusion? 

you believe that one day you might believe in God. cool. God bless you.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You mental midgets are starting to annoy the crap out of me.

PROVE YOUR GOD EXISTS
You are so damn silly dude.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. You could find out tomorrow that aliens raised you and you were born on another planet. PROOF my dude...EVIDENCE. WHERE IS IT? 

This quote-mining is the sign of the ignorant. I'm certain of this. 

Whatever, given the odds you probably believe in the wrong god anyways. 
roll.gif

How does a LACK of belief equal to a belief?
Seriously.  LACK. L-A-C-K. A LACK of belief.  Let that register and simmer in your head a little bit.

Stop changing the definition of words to suit your argument. 
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

Back
Top Bottom