why is it such a sin to say anyone will be better than Michael Jordan?

But, how many wing players are getting by with only being solid team defenders?

You aren't going to see 35+ mins a game in 2013 as a SF ONLY being a solid team defender.

I'll put like this about Larry Bird, its doesn't matter what era you play in 60's, 70's, 80's etc. greatness is greatness and Larry Bird is a truly great player, and would be in any era.

It isn't this cut and dry though. Is it fair to say that his greatness COULD have been accelerated and more lustrous because of the era's and competition that he played against?

Larry was GREAT at everything on the offensive end of the floor. He was an excellent shooter, as well as an excellent passer and excellent post player. I think he would have been great in any era, the same way Duncan would have been great because of his skill level. Athleticism is overrated in the presence of outstanding fundamentals
Stop bringing up post players to support your point.

I am speaking of SF's here man.

Bird was an EXCELLENT post player though! Could score, and pass from the post at an elite level

There's really no point of saying, "If LeBron played in this era..." it's not gonna happen.

Gotta realize each era played against the best of the best.

Bird was an EXCELLENT post player though! Could score, and pass from the post at an elite level
Larry Bird wasn't a post player.

Being able to go to work with your back to the basket doesn't make you a post player.

Larry Bird was a SF. He would be a SF today. No arguing that man.

The simple answer is that most basketball fans do not want there to be another MJ. Kinda sad really. Personally, I'd like to see someone take the game as far, if not farther. And the funny thing is that this has only happened in basketball. Every other sport people want someone to step up and be the next to push the boundaries. We marveled at Bonds. We celebrate Brady and Peyton. But in basketball, you can't even mention someone having a great game without being drowned out by Michael Jordan rhetoric. Even if someone were to accomplish comparable feats, the timing of MJ's assent to the top and exponential growth of his legacy will be nigh impossible to beat.

Larry Bird wasn't a post player.

Being able to go to work with your back to the basket doesn't make you a post player.

Larry Bird was a SF. He would be a SF today. No arguing that man.

but there are SFs that do work in the post. Being able to excel in the post makes you a post player. If you can excel in other areas of the court thats great too, but dont take away from the work that man put in in the post. He was well known for his post up game.

Jordan was more skilled than players before him and tries harder than most of the superstars today.

Bird would manage. You give him today's advanced technology, nutrition and medicine off the floor (say, not drinking beers after a work out) and combine that with analytics to put to use on the floor..you're probably getting a quicker, stronger and more intelligent defensive player.

Players should be judged on their era and how much they dominated it. Not putting them in a time machine.

Last edited:
but there are SFs that do work in the post. Being able to excel in the post makes you a post player. If you can excel in other areas of the court thats great too, but dont take away from the work that man put in in the post. He was well known for his post up game.
No, a SF that is able to go to work in the post is still not a post player. It is a SF with post skills.

Bird is not a post player. He is a WING player.

Bird would manage. You give him today's advanced technology, nutrition and medicine off the floor (say, not drinking beers after a work out) and combine that with analytics to put to use on the floor..you're probably getting a quicker, stronger and more intelligent defensive player.

Players should be judged on their era and how much they dominated it. Not putting them in a time machine.

I agree. I usually stay out of those pointless convos but I got sucked in tonight. Nothing else to talk about :smh:

I am done

if you actually seen Jordan play when he was in his prime you would understand, i grew up watching him, even when he retired in 1993. the whole sports world froze over that announcement. Lebron is a good player, but he is just reaching his prime. let the dude sink in before claiming he's the greatest ever. Kobe is on his way out the game, he's left a legacy which you can somewhat compare to MJ, he's got rings, records, and the respect.

then i keep hearing if they played one on one....

jordan would win 11-2... 10 outta 10 times...

people stay scrubbin bron mayne... acting like the nba is better 20 years ago than today...

revisionist history, mayne... i swear athletes are bigger / stronger / faster than they were 20 years ago....

and today, bird would be a very good player... not as great as he was though...

imagine bird tryna check durant, doe. :lol:

[quote name="dland24"][quote name="tyisny"]It was a typo he is in no way shape or form better than D-Wade[/quote]Scottie wasnt better than DWade? :rofl:

Why do I keep coming back in this thread?[/quote]I'm saying.

people stay scrubbin bron mayne... acting like the nba is better 20 years ago than today...

revisionist history, mayne... i swear athletes are bigger / stronger / faster than they were 20 years ago....

imagine bird tryna check durant, doe. :lol:
More like, imagine anyone in NBA history trying to check Durant..

I swear, skill is like... skill matters none to some of you.

"Players are bigger and stronger."

And not as good, because they don't know the game as well.

"So you're saying Bron & Durant are stupid in terms of basketball?"

Not at all. Just saying they were smarter 20 years ago, and because of that, the play absolutely was better.

imagine bird tryna check durant, doe.
laugh.gif
yeah what a bunch of weaklings!

what a HUUUUUGE difference!!  
eyes.gif

It's always been one of the dumbest myths out there

do you see who MJ was beating? lebron would get his head knocked in. No easy lay ups. we simply do not know how he would react when he can't barrel his way through. there would be hard fouls that wouldn't be 10 game suspensions

Last edited:
People seem to forget MJ didn't win anything till he got help. :lol:

And Kobe was the help in those first 3 rings, and when things got tough he was ready to leave lakers :lol:

But no, let's continue with the Lebron slander. :lol:

Dudes one of the greatest to ever player and is on the same level as your beloved Jordan and Kobe.

I'm starting a franchise, damn right I'm taking a Lebron. He does it all.

You're starting a franchise and you're taking lebron; are you taking him over a prime Jordan? A prime Kobe? Simply based off of 1 great year and what you THINK COULD happen in the future?

Being on the same level is going to the finals and winning. Lebron went twice before he got one. I don't care what people are saying about this age crap. Jordan got a ring his first time under the spotlight. It didn't take him multiple trips, and especially with the help he had the 2nd time. It just so happens that Mike was 28 when it happened. What's lebrons excuse? No team? He had a team, San Antonio just had a better one. 2nd time? No excuse.

You can't compare a "what if" to a "what was" or a "what is".

Mike has everything lebron has and more. Until lebron gets it, he isn't better yet.

Someone could be better than mike one day and it COULD be lebron. But as of right now? It ain't.

Just like DC said in the all star thread, some of y'all are prisoners of the moment. Lebron is great, ONE of the best players we've ever seen.

But there's a huge different in being ONE of the best and being THE GREATEST. And nobody has taken that title from Mike yet

Last edited:
Yo football season is over, sportscenter has nothing better to do but troll us all. Can we get back to this in 7 years?

For right now it's still Jordan. LeBrons career is far from finished.

Well, if we are starting a franchise, I wouldn't fault someone for taking a prime LeBron over a Prime Jordan. Prime as in individual skill. So that means Jordan's championship rings wouldn't have been obtained. We are just looking at skill, I can see why someone would pick LeBron.

But back to what someone said earlier. I think the main reason why people don't WANT someone to be better than Jordan is because it indirectly flaws their childhood in their mind. You know people want to pretend that everything in their childhood is perfect/the best, so to say something is better than the best thing of their childhood is essentially admitting fault in something of their generation. Something folks don't want to do.

^ maybe its because they are actually not better than jordan. lebron won only one championship and everyone's already calling him the GOAT. like really let the dude get a 3peat first and bring the conversation up

lebron james, kobe bryant, tim duncan, carmelo anthony, chris paul, ray allen, kevin durant, phil jackson, **** vitale, jay bilas, bob knight, hubie brown, jalen rose, beckham, terry francona, magic johnson, david stern talk about michael jordan legacy greatness, voices MJ, 50, nba basketball, 2013, espn, his airness, air 23 goat chicago bulls birthday years old

Last edited:
Scottie was a lockdown defender, but at the same time, Wade made a lot of plays on D as well. I rather take Wade's offensive domination with above average D, versus Scottie being dominant at D, and above average on offensive side.

If I'm building an NBA team and first option is either Pip or D-Wade, I'm going with D-Wade, easy.

Yeah. If you'd take Pippen over D.Wade as your franchise player, you're pretty much ******ed. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom