Why is there so much disgusting obesity in this country?

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Cheap disgusting food

over here we don't find this weird, so fat ppl don't really care about being fat...it's normal  SAD

Fixed that for you.

Originally Posted by dayoyoman

Here are some sources that debate and challenge your 'scholarly' articles. Many 'scholarly' articles are done with preconceived ideologies behind the studies in the first place--already having stigmatized beliefs of fat people. Many doctors dislike large patients because of their beliefs on fatness, and it probably explains the data from these sources.

Glenn Gaesser, Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Health
(New York: Burze Books, 2002)

Paul Campos et al., “The Epidemiology of Overweight and Obesity: Public Health Crisis or Moral Panic?

Originally Posted by dayoyoman

Here are some sources that debate and challenge your 'scholarly' articles. Many 'scholarly' articles are done with preconceived ideologies behind the studies in the first place--already having stigmatized beliefs of fat people. Many doctors dislike large patients because of their beliefs on fatness, and it probably explains the data from these sources.

Glenn Gaesser, Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Health
(New York: Burze Books, 2002)

Paul Campos et al., “The Epidemiology of Overweight and Obesity: Public Health Crisis or Moral Panic?

Originally Posted by Peep Game

"tax the fatties, and watch how fast they will lose the weight. "

Nah, that'll be like trying to tax cigarettes or jacking up the price --- they'll still buy them, and obese people will still eat.

that's not how it works, or at least in Japan at the moment. the company at which you work at will get fined for every fat employee it has, so if you continue to eat them cheeseburgers your boss will eventually fire you to avoid getting hit with more fines.

I think it is fairly simple. Most people hate to exercise or play sports and their diet is atrocious. 

Originally Posted by Peep Game

"tax the fatties, and watch how fast they will lose the weight. "

Nah, that'll be like trying to tax cigarettes or jacking up the price --- they'll still buy them, and obese people will still eat.

that's not how it works, or at least in Japan at the moment. the company at which you work at will get fined for every fat employee it has, so if you continue to eat them cheeseburgers your boss will eventually fire you to avoid getting hit with more fines.

I think it is fairly simple. Most people hate to exercise or play sports and their diet is atrocious. 

All of the articles (except the infertility one) mention BMI as their indicator of obesity. Again, BMI has been proven to be a faulty way of measuring 'obesity'. I just don't see how there can be any proof between correlations of obesity and other diseases with obesity. How can they attribute it to fatness when the way the measure fatness is so problematic? Studies have shown that people categorized with an 'overweight' BMI actually have longer life spans than those with 'normal'. How can you explain that? Those diseases you mention do cause health problems and death, but how can you be so sure that they are symptoms of obesity? Couldn't the diseases be coming from a different source? Maybe the all the toxins in our food and our environment? Maybe just a product of old age?

All I want to get at is that the links between obesity and diseases isn't as black and white as you make it. Obesity may very well be the cause of these diseases, but the science is not there yet. Would you really argue that BMI is an accurate measure of obesity? What really constitutes 'obese' versus 'normal'? By all accounts, 'obese' has literally become the new 'normal' (statistically). How do we really know if the disease is from being too fat?

Sorry if I dodged the question. I'm not a scientist by any means, just someone who's skeptical about the whole 'obesity epidemic'.

All of the articles (except the infertility one) mention BMI as their indicator of obesity. Again, BMI has been proven to be a faulty way of measuring 'obesity'. I just don't see how there can be any proof between correlations of obesity and other diseases with obesity. How can they attribute it to fatness when the way the measure fatness is so problematic? Studies have shown that people categorized with an 'overweight' BMI actually have longer life spans than those with 'normal'. How can you explain that? Those diseases you mention do cause health problems and death, but how can you be so sure that they are symptoms of obesity? Couldn't the diseases be coming from a different source? Maybe the all the toxins in our food and our environment? Maybe just a product of old age?

All I want to get at is that the links between obesity and diseases isn't as black and white as you make it. Obesity may very well be the cause of these diseases, but the science is not there yet. Would you really argue that BMI is an accurate measure of obesity? What really constitutes 'obese' versus 'normal'? By all accounts, 'obese' has literally become the new 'normal' (statistically). How do we really know if the disease is from being too fat?

Sorry if I dodged the question. I'm not a scientist by any means, just someone who's skeptical about the whole 'obesity epidemic'.

you can try and be the healthiest guy in the world and still end up getting cancer.

you can smoke and it'll increase your risks of getting cancer.

you're obese and you increase your risks of many diseases

you can try and be the healthiest guy in the world and still end up getting cancer.

because junk food is cheaper and easier than healthy food. you have to spend so much more money if you wanna eat healthy and that is just ridiculous. you can get a hamburger for a dollar at McD, you think that people would rather pay 4 dollars to eat a salad? they need to make healthy food cheaper. and if they are considering fast food with food stamps, it's only gonna get worse

because junk food is cheaper and easier than healthy food. you have to spend so much more money if you wanna eat healthy and that is just ridiculous. you can get a hamburger for a dollar at McD, you think that people would rather pay 4 dollars to eat a salad? they need to make healthy food cheaper. and if they are considering fast food with food stamps, it's only gonna get worse

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

rob-lowe-brothers-and-sisters-320.jpg

While all that is true,why not try to be healthy to help you live the best possible life that you can?? Does that mean that since everyone is likely to acquire an illness in their life,they're supposed to just let their bodies go to waste because they'll eventually get sick?? What kind of logic is that? When you're obese,it becomes much more difficult to do normal activities, a plethora of other problems and you get a grotesque physique. To be honest,as much as I hate cigarettes,I'd rather be with a smoker with a healthy physique than an obese person.

While all that is true,why not try to be healthy to help you live the best possible life that you can?? Does that mean that since everyone is likely to acquire an illness in their life,they're supposed to just let their bodies go to waste because they'll eventually get sick?? What kind of logic is that? When you're obese,it becomes much more difficult to do normal activities, a plethora of other problems and you get a grotesque physique. To be honest,as much as I hate cigarettes,I'd rather be with a smoker with a healthy physique than an obese person.

It blows my mind that in this day of age the drive thru line at McDonalds is always wrapped around the building! How the hell does someone eat that mess?!

It blows my mind that in this day of age the drive thru line at McDonalds is always wrapped around the building! How the hell does someone eat that mess?!

It's ultimately the same reason why any form of government health care reform/intervention won't ever be successful. Society doesn't wasn't to hear it, but people are ceasing to take personal responsibility for their actions. Instant gratification has become king. People snack far more than they used to, fail to eat adequately balanced diets, fail to get the proper amount of exercise, etc. Granted there are indeed obese people that are in such a condition due to serious medical conditions, as Anton also knows, these people are a small minority. And anyone arguing that obesity isn't related to poor health in a wide variety of ways is just a damn fool. The affects of obesity on a body are absolutely deplorable. And yes, as mentioned, BMI isn't always a good indicator of "fatness". It's clearly flawed in many respects, but it's just one screening tool. Obese is Obese and those of us who aren't are stuck paing for huge increases in health care costs for the growing number/future majority who are. If this trend continues, health care costs will NEVER level out

It's ultimately the same reason why any form of government health care reform/intervention won't ever be successful. Society doesn't wasn't to hear it, but people are ceasing to take personal responsibility for their actions. Instant gratification has become king. People snack far more than they used to, fail to eat adequately balanced diets, fail to get the proper amount of exercise, etc. Granted there are indeed obese people that are in such a condition due to serious medical conditions, as Anton also knows, these people are a small minority. And anyone arguing that obesity isn't related to poor health in a wide variety of ways is just a damn fool. The affects of obesity on a body are absolutely deplorable. And yes, as mentioned, BMI isn't always a good indicator of "fatness". It's clearly flawed in many respects, but it's just one screening tool. Obese is Obese and those of us who aren't are stuck paing for huge increases in health care costs for the growing number/future majority who are. If this trend continues, health care costs will NEVER level out

If something happened to earth and cannibalism was the only means of survival, America would be alright.
laugh.gif

If something happened to earth and cannibalism was the only means of survival, America would be alright.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom