Will Dominicans (and other dark skinned latino americans) Ever Embrace Their "Blackness" ?

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by SoFreakinWavy

I mean i don't understand how they don't when some ya'll are darker then normal african americans

and most dominicans are dark skinned only the middle class and upper class or ny domincans are light skinned

What does that even mean?
If youre not past a certain shade youre not a normal AA?

Money said " only middle & upper class dominicans is light skinned".... da rest of us is indentured servents?
grin.gif
Some Black ppl seem to be salty that hispanics don't have a skin tone identity problemWe come as dark or as light as they come and it doesn't matter cuz our hispanic culture is whatBinds us together.

I mean i don't understand how they don't when some ya'll are darker then normal african americans

and most dominicans are dark skinned only the middle class and upper class or ny domincans are light skinned

Money said " only middle & upper class dominicans is light skinned".... da rest of us is indentured servents?
grin.gif
Some Black ppl seem to be salty that hispanics don't have a skin tone identity problemWe come as dark or as light as they come and it doesn't matter cuz our hispanic culture is whatBinds us together.

oh boy, quick to try an start an argument

im sayin if most african americans were like a kinda caramel color most dominicans would be darker than that

however dominican culture is completely different from black culture so maybe thats why they are unhappy with being called black

grin.gif

oh boy, quick to try an start an argument

im sayin if most african americans were like a kinda caramel color most dominicans would be darker than that

however dominican culture is completely different from black culture so maybe thats why they are unhappy with being called black

grin.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

grin.gif
Some Black ppl seem to be salty that hispanics don't have a skin tone identity problem We come as dark or as light as they come and it doesn't matter cuz our hispanic culture is what Binds us together.

sammy_sosa-skin.jpg

I think brohammed put my thoughts into better words

more of their roots but at the same time it seems that SOME will vehemently deny being classified as black like its a terrible terrible thing..yet like the rest of society bite from mainstream black american culture

and yea that blockheads thread did it for me
laugh.gif

grin.gif
Some Black ppl seem to be salty that hispanics don't have a skin tone identity problem We come as dark or as light as they come and it doesn't matter cuz our hispanic culture is what Binds us together.

sammy_sosa-skin.jpg

I think brohammed put my thoughts into better words

more of their roots but at the same time it seems that SOME will vehemently deny being classified as black like its a terrible terrible thing..yet like the rest of society bite from mainstream black american culture

and yea that blockheads thread did it for me
laugh.gif

My father used to look like OJ Simpson, back in the day. When OJ had his fro, he'd hate it cuz ppl would stay saying how he resembled him, which translates to my dad looking black. I didn't get why he'd get so offended by it & to this day, he refuses to acknowledge it. Straight forbidding me to date anyone who was dark skinned & what not, hispanics & non-hispanics alike.

Spoiler [+]
 but i love my pappys, so.
8aa3579443637af942e4dc0470efe13f7eb1469.gif

My father used to look like OJ Simpson, back in the day. When OJ had his fro, he'd hate it cuz ppl would stay saying how he resembled him, which translates to my dad looking black. I didn't get why he'd get so offended by it & to this day, he refuses to acknowledge it. Straight forbidding me to date anyone who was dark skinned & what not, hispanics & non-hispanics alike.

Spoiler [+]

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

You're throwing a blanket statement as if to imply that all, a majority or even a sizable number of Hispanics who happen to be black don't embrace their roots. Most of them do just not in the way that most black Americans do or expect them to. It's a different set of shared cultural experiences that have contributed to their history compared to that of blacks here in this country. Just because some Hispanics are black doesn't mean they have anything in common with black Americans or blacks who have grown up in this country.

It's a Hispanic thing, you wouldn't understand.
Bingo.

You're throwing a blanket statement as if to imply that all, a majority or even a sizable number of Hispanics who happen to be black don't embrace their roots. Most of them do just not in the way that most black Americans do or expect them to. It's a different set of shared cultural experiences that have contributed to their history compared to that of blacks here in this country. Just because some Hispanics are black doesn't mean they have anything in common with black Americans or blacks who have grown up in this country.

Bingo.

pretty much what Sirius said. Thread fail.... btw lumping every Dominican as black just because the ones you've encountered are is ignorant. We come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. 

grin.gif
Really? You're stupider than I though.

pretty much what Sirius said. Thread fail.... btw lumping every Dominican as black just because the ones you've encountered are is ignorant. We come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. 

grin.gif

Originally Posted by starzinoureyes

Spoiler [+]
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by starzinoureyes

Spoiler [+]
ohwell.gif

Most of my mom's patient's are hispanic. A lot of them embrace their "African roots". Black is too inclusive a term....and does not reflect somebody's specific culture/ethnicity. There are many cultures within the black "race".

Most of my mom's patient's are hispanic. A lot of them embrace their "African roots". Black is too inclusive a term....and does not reflect somebody's specific culture/ethnicity. There are many cultures within the black "race".

laugh.gif
im not saying they should or shouldnt but whether u like it or not this is a discussion most of cultural and ethnic studies academia around the country is having...

i shouldnt have said blackness..but i meant more along the lines of african roots..and especially since I KNOW that many of the darker latinos have experienced racism in their own country..in my opinion it seems that many latino americans dont want to be discriminated against like black americans were so anything to separate themselves from blacks will be done

laugh.gif
im not saying they should or shouldnt but whether u like it or not this is a discussion most of cultural and ethnic studies academia around the country is having...

i shouldnt have said blackness..but i meant more along the lines of african roots..and especially since I KNOW that many of the darker latinos have experienced racism in their own country..in my opinion it seems that many latino americans dont want to be discriminated against like black americans were so anything to separate themselves from blacks will be done

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

grin.gif
Seriously. This is a known issue, especially amongst Dominicans.

Back
Top Bottom