Windows 7 out now

Originally Posted by 18key

I cant believe HP is making me sccan my receipt as proof that I paid for my computer to get my free upgrade. What's even more outrageous is Best Buy wanting $40 to install W7 for me, when they said they'd do it for free if I bought my computer there at BB. God damn I hate these companies.
I have a Sony Vaio, and I too had to scan my receipt. I am still waiting for an e-mail that will tell me when I will be receiving my disc.

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

I got mine for free, I'm a student. Does that make you a fool?

Yes because I dont know how to use torrents and read readme.txt files. I'm a fool.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Is it true that you have to format your computer to install it?

I would also like to get the student discount, I still have my college email address and I remember someone saying that all you need is that.

No. The student discount versions only have upgrades (the one that upgrades from your current version of windows. IE, you dont have to format). They offer Premium and Professional for the same price. I copped Pro.

haha you are a fool, nobody mentioned torrents. I don't use torrents. why you bring that up (foolish) I got Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise free
Storefront URL: http://msdn01.e-academy.com/dvc_cs
Date of Order: 2009-09-29

Product: IT Academy Course: Windows Server 1 Download @ $0.00 USD = $0.00 USD

Product: Virtual PC for Mac 7.0.2
1 Download @ $0.00 USD = $0.00 USD

Product: Windows 7 Language Pack (x64) - DVD (Multilanguage)

Product: Windows 7 Language Pack (x86) - DVD (Multilanguage)

Product: Windows 7 Professional (x64) - DVD (English)

Product: Windows 7 Professional (x86) - DVD (English)

Product: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and Standard - DVD

Product: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and Standard 64bit - DVD

Product: Windows XP Professional with SP3 (Single User) ISO Image

Product: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD (English)

Method of Payment: No Charge

Serial Number
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

Same here, I might use MSDN, I have to check with MBox and Pro Tool's compatibility. I might just get a new laptop for it.

just installed, im actually impressed with IE8, its nice and fast and smooth, but id never give up my firefox extensions, never.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by imINchucks5

Liking it so far.
The scroll bar on the mouse pad doesn't seem to be working
mines wasant working either, then i sent to start, and did a windows update...they found an update for the mouse pad, restarted, and now its working

windows 7 is
pimp.gif

diggin the aero design...the "PIN to taskbar"
What kind of laptop do you have?
Nothing came up for me.
But I'm really liking this os so far
i have a toshiba satellite

I need Word, PowerPoint and Excel....what is the best way of getting them, off the Microsoft website?

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

I need Word, PowerPoint and Excel....what is the best way of getting them, off the Microsoft website?

Wait for Office 2010 if you can.
I need it for school
laugh.gif

But I can still go to the library and I have my phone so it's no biggie

I need it for school
laugh.gif

Just download it.

Core duo 6600@ 2.4GHz
4GB ram
Nvidia SLI board
GTS8800 512mb RAM

Took a chance and decided to install Windows 7 (over my XP drive)

Everything went smoothly. Install was Quick and clean. No problems.
Backed up my files to another Drive, but things like bookmarks and saved passwords on Firefox are a pain to get back in place.

The new Interface is beautiful.... very intuitive. Easier to accomplish tasks.(moving files, searching)

It appears to be running just as quickly as windows XP. This may be due to the upgrade to 64bit. (My XP was 32bit anddidnt recognize my extra 1gb of ram)

Programs/Drivers that don't work with windows 7 can be run in "emulation" for vista/xp.(had to do this for my M-audio Projectmix driver)

The funny part is that driver installations that were a pain in XP actually loaded quicker and problem free in W7.
I do audio/video editing. Reason, Nuendo etc. installed painlessly and are working just as quick as on XP.

I am in love.........so far

Windows 7 is definitely a big step forward IMO. What kind of sidebar gadgets are you guys using? Right now all I'm rocking is the weather. I'm tryingto liven up my desktop a bit.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

I need it for school
laugh.gif

Just download it.

or you could try openoffice which is free

Originally Posted by ridikuloz

yay, $50+ for a new toolbar.
Thanks for bringing this up, here are some underground features that people sleep on:
  • Snap: Seriously this feature is slept on. Drag to the top of the screen and wham! window maximized. Drag to the side its half the screen (makes for ridiculously easy comparison between documents and web pages).
  • Snip Tool: When you want to grab a certain portion of your screen, instead having to press "print screen" then go into paint and edit out, just hit the snip tool and snip out what you want. Big time saver.
  • Not having to go into any explorer boxes to connect/disconnect from wireless networks
  • Windows button + P: this is great for anyone who has 2 monitors or regularly projects their laptop. No more having to right click and readjust settings. Just hit Windows + P and there you have your options, 1. computer only 2. Duplicate screens 3. extend desktop 4. projector only
I would also recommend downloading Windows Live Photo Gallery. Automatic photo stitching =
smokin.gif
, easy upload to flickr =
smokin.gif
, easy upload to facebook =
smokin.gif

so far i ain't hear a real reason to upgrade from XP other then "its boring"

guess imma ride XP till da wheels fall off. in 2014

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

what's coming in 2014?
extended support for window XP ends...it may change however with da emergence of netbook that run perfectly wit XP because of their limited

resources.

Clean installed over the weekend, and loving it. The usability is just so much improved over XP without the problems that plagued Vista.

Originally Posted by breaux

Backed up my files to another Drive, but things like bookmarks and saved passwords on Firefox are a pain to get back in place.

You can just use the backup bookmarks function built-in to Firefox and then use the import function. For the passwords, you can just download the add-on thatwill save and let you export them. It takes a couple of minutes.

Originally Posted by torontoRaptor15

Originally Posted by breaux

You can just use the backup bookmarks function built-in to Firefox and then use the import function. For the passwords, you can just download the add-on that will save and let you export them. It takes a couple of minutes.
or use Xmarks

Hey y'all

I have a mac that's running on snow leopard do I have to install XP or vista first and then upgrade to 7? Or can I install 7 directly through bootcamp?

I'm gonna google it and see if I can find something, but I'll be coming back to this thread....

Back
Top Bottom