Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty : Season 2 Out Now

All that is good and well, but what I think is a bit unfair is how he's being depicted and he has openly discussed how he struggled with depression throughout his life, and people think he's a maniac. Entertainment is fine, but I wonder how a current player would feel if they talked about mental health struggles openly, and somewhere down the line a show is created about a period in their life kind of poking fun at their personality and mental health. I wonder how that would be perceived? Again, I understand the entertainment value of the show and know it's not meant to be fully accurate and there is a show disclaimer.

All that is good and well, but what I think is a bit unfair is how he's being depicted and he has openly discussed how he struggled with depression throughout his life, and people think he's a maniac. Entertainment is fine, but I wonder how a current player would feel if they talked about mental health struggles openly, and somewhere down the line a show is created about a period in their life kind of poking fun at their personality and mental health. I wonder how that would be perceived? Again, I understand the entertainment value of the show and know it's not meant to be fully accurate and there is a show disclaimer.

Maybe I missed an episode but how are they poking fun at his depression?

Maybe I missed an episode but how are they poking fun at his depression?
In the first episode, I forgot who it was that came to his house after a loss. He was in the middle of his living room in his underwear with the curtains closed for days. Then from that, he's a full blown maniac driven by the fear and pain of losing. I'm just trying to understand it from the side of someone made fun of dealing with something as serious as depression.

In the first episode, I forgot who it was that came to his house after a loss. He was in the middle of his living room in his underwear with the curtains closed for days. Then from that, he's a full blown maniac driven by the fear and pain of losing. I'm just trying to understand it from the side of someone made fun of dealing with something as serious as depression.

"As a person, West was often described as an introverted and nervous character, but who also drew the highest praise for his uncompromising work ethic. Regarding his shyness, WVU roommate Jody Gardner testified that West never dated in his entire freshman year, and Lakers coach Fred Schaus once recalled two weeks when his guard never said a word.[83] Apart from being shy, West was always restless: Schaus described him as a "bundle of nerves", Celtics contemporary Bob Cousy as "always on the move", and fellow Laker and Mountaineer Rod Hundley testified that during bar visits, West would quickly squirm and demand to go elsewhere before everybody else had settled.[84] His first wife Martha Kane recalled that her husband often had difficulties opening up to her. After a big loss, the Wests would drive home and she would try to console him, but West would say "get out" at the home porch and drive away—an experience that "killed" her as a wife."

I don't know if they're necessarily making fun of him versus shining a light on his actual behavior while amplifying a bit for television.

The Jerry west character is probably my favorite on the show. Dude seems a little quirky, but I don’t feel like they are taking shots at him or anything.

Y’all can’t be serious. They got jerry west looking like a mad man on this ****.

I understand why dude is upset at his portrayal. I don’t think they showed one positive trait about him on this show. Got dude looking miserable 24/7.

I dont think Jerry has a case since the show has a disclaimer “This series is a dramatization of certain facts and events. Some of the names have been changed, and some of the events and characters have been fictionalized, modified or composited for dramatic purposes.”

Also this
Is it illegal to make a movie about someone?

No one owns the story of their own life. It is absolutely legal for people to write unauthorized biographies, make documentaries or dramas about someone without needing their permission. You do not need permission to portray a real person in a work of art such as a book or movie - this happens all the time.

Here's HBO's answer to Jerry from yesterday
“HBO has a long history of producing compelling content drawn from actual facts and events that are fictionalized in part for dramatic purposes,” the network said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “Winning Time is not a documentary and has not been presented as such. However, the series and its depictions are based on extensive factual research and reliable sourcing, and HBO stands resolutely behind our talented creators and cast who have brought a dramatization of this epic chapter in basketball history to the screen.”

All Jerry can do is cry about it. If I was him I wouldnt give a f. He's an old successful rich man, and this show doesnt take away anything from him

red-friday.gif

Back
Top Bottom