Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty : Season 2 Out Now

Kareem's article was good. He does raise valid points about Jeannie Buss. Also, to be fair, the show does run a disclaimer in every episode saying that these are fictionalized depictions of these people or something to that effect.

1650416113090.png

I understand their complaints,
but the show is still very entertaining.

Stories based on true events are always better when they take creative liscence.

Nobody wants wikipedia tv.

If people want the reality they can read Jeff Perlmand book. (It's really good)

And tbh I'd argue Jerry West being so over the top makes it clearer
That it is totally exaggerated.

This show definitely takes some liberties with how some of these guys are portrayed. Accurate or otherwise I'd be upset as well :lol:

I am sure if things were super accurate the show would be just as entertaining.
No it wouldn't, but there's some space in between super accurate and over the top fictionalized.

That said I have no issue with the show, easy watch and I understand it's a fictionalized version of real events and characters. I don't get the viewers still "oh this never happened!" "He wasn't like that!" On episode damn 7.

Those dudes were living in some wild times.
This

The more I watch the show the more I think some of the things to make up were just plain unnecessary

But then again, I’m a laker fan and woulda enjoyed anything lakers related.

The show is geared to attract non basketball fans.

What I want to know is, how do they know Magic was the #1 clamshucker? That's an odd detail to keep including lol

I’m enjoying the hell out of this.. Just started and I’m on episode 4

but man it’s weird seeing rick Fox in these after shows, dude knew some of these people

Spoiler: Kareem hates the show

This is what I feel about the show. If the show was fictional like Ballers, and wasn't supposed to be real people, nobody would watch the show. Everyone is one dimensional and the basketball isn't good. They brush over the financial troubles every now and again, but what is the end goal?

Those dudes were living in some wild times.

my girlfriend who knows nothing about basketball and doesn't care and still loves the show.
I think there is no way she would be into the accurate version of the story closer to the jeff perlman book.

sports shows are notoriously difficult to pull off demographic wise
so going with the super broad dramatic characterizations was their play to reach a mass audience.

i think it was probably the right call

JW is one of the most bitter humans roaming the face of the earth. The Celtics really ruined this guy mentally, emotionally and spiritually with the constant beat downs in the Finals throughout the 60s. 😂

JW is one of the most bitter humans roaming the face of the earth. The Celtics really ruined this guy mentally, emotionally and spiritually with the constant beat downs in the Finals throughout the 60s. 😂

You gathered this from your interaction, right?

I can’t believe so many are acting like they don’t understand how Hollywood works. The Wu-Tang show on Hulu got the same treatment.

It’s a TV show based on a book. Not a sports documentary. Amalgamated characters, exaggerated events for dramatic effect, etc.

Might be worth checking the book from 86 out. There’s nothing this show is completely pulling out of its ***. Look at how many people thought the Chick Hearn depiction was completely made up, only to find out he’s on record making flagrant statements.

Last edited:
It's like that with almost every tv show thread I been in lately and i'm trying to figure out what the shift was. Folks forgetting established TV show structure.

I think the problem is centered around when you base it around real people, and people the public know little about privately. So you get comments like. I didn't know Kareem was like that. I didn't know Jerry West was like that. Norm Nixon did that to Magic at a party? People want to believe the negative and salacious.

Back
Top Bottom