***WOMEN'S HOOPS THREAD*** Gold medal game: SUN, 08/11 @ 9:30am EST. Going for 8TH STRAIGHT GOLD!

The Chicago Pistons!! I love it. The Sky are the bad girls of the league. I'm here for it. Can't wait to rock the new jersey

20240515_222213.jpg
20240515_222225.jpg

I agree that Angel is somewhat overstating her impact, but her playing the villain did draw numbers in attendance and in games even in games CC wasn’t playing. I think the SEC women’s tournament had some of the highest attendance and ratings that the SEC tournament ever had. A certain percentage of the population hated and loved that LSU team and tuned in to watch them lose or prove the haters wrong. Jill Biden also didn’t help things but that’s another story

I will say the one of the least talked about drivers in the increase in popularity of the women’s game is ESPN finally putting the college games in prime time spots without competing with the men’s game. I still remember when the women’s championship game used to be on a random Tuesday on ESPN and even when the championship game was on Sunday it was on ESPN instead of ABC. ESPN is finally investing in women’s sports ( Women’s Volleyball Championship was on ABC for the first time and did big numbers). I got to watch elite women’s college basketball on Sundays this year where they weren’t competing for air time with the men’s games on Saturday. ESPN only recently started airing full women’s tournament games on their full suite of platforms.

Am I the only one thinks the race angle is being underreported by the mainstream sports media?

I think it’s blatantly obvious that she’s revered as the great white hope by a lot of fans and the predominantly black WNBA players probably resent that.

…not trying to say anything controversial.

Am I the only one thinks the race angle is being underreported by the mainstream sports media?

I think it’s blatantly obvious that she’s revered as the great white hope by a lot of fans and the predominantly black WNBA players probably resent that.

Many of the players that are considered to be the GOAT are White. DT was honest about CC and she was destroyed by CC fans. I think what players resent is the idea that some of these new fans had that they aren’t the best players in the world and that this rookie class was going to take over the league from the jump.

It’s a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people and a real look in the mirror moment.

People could’ve been supporting the W for years now and just chose not to do so. Timing certainly plays a role but they could’ve actually supported all of the women they keep saying should’ve been highlighted.

Everyone with all these big hot takes didn’t support them. And no one is really taking a moment to reflect on that point. Why didn’t y’all go to the games? Why didn’t y’all buy the jerseys? Why didn’t y’all engage on social media?

Even this thread has been here since 2016 and is still only at 163 total pages. Moga coming out the rafters now with all the opinions all of a sudden.

Many of the players that are considered to be the GOAT are White. DT was honest about CC and she was destroyed by CC fans. I think what players resent is the idea that some of these new fans had that they aren’t the best players in the world and that this rookie class was going to take over the league from the jump.
DT is a different type of white though. Clark is just WHITE. Midwest WHITE. That is harder to accept than an ethnic white. Italian/Argentinian.

So it's a little different.

Lauren Jackson: Australian

Sue Bird: NYC White. GOt the UCONN rub so she was always viewed as being a cool white.

So yea, it's different.

You are 100% right. Nothing controversial about it. Folks are grown. Race plays a role in damn near every part of this country.

I think everyone (especially those that don't really want to touch it in the media) understands that. It is what it is. Clark has to deal with it.

Same reason folks went at Jeremy Lin as hard as they do. (Players have admitted to it in various podcasts over the years). "What do I look like getting cooked by a _______ dude/girl."

What high profile, mainstream sports media people do you think are even equipped to talk about this?

The people who are, like Bomani for example don’t have the platform of a Stephen A.

There’s been no room for a nuanced convo here by responsible and knowledgeable people on ESPN. Chiney and Perk are like the best that they have to offer right now, and they can touch on it from the athlete perspective but wouldn’t trust them to go fully in depth on the racial aspect.

I agree that Angel is somewhat overstating her impact, but her playing the villain did draw numbers in attendance and in games even in games CC wasn’t playing. I think the SEC women’s tournament had some of the highest attendance and ratings that the SEC tournament ever had. A certain percentage of the population hated and loved that LSU team and tuned in to watch them lose or prove the haters wrong. Jill Biden also didn’t help things but that’s another story
She’s massively overstating her impact. She had a heavy online popularity but she’s not driving interest like Caitlin. The sport is seeing a big uptick in interest in general, but even looking at attendance and viewership right now in the W, Caitlin is driving interest like the W has never seen before.

The thing that annoys me about Angel, is that she doesn’t see how veterans are annoyed about the push she’s getting too. They keep announcing, Angel Reese and the Sky. She isn’t a leader on the team yet.

I understand that stars sell, but she’s getting a push that she hasn’t earned either.

She’s massively overstating her impact. She had a heavy online popularity but she’s not driving interest like Caitlin. The sport is seeing a big uptick in interest in general, but even looking at attendance and viewership right now in the W, Caitlin is driving interest like the W has never seen before.

Are we talking about the W or Women’s Basketball in general?

Back
Top Bottom