***WOMEN'S HOOPS THREAD*** Gold medal game: SUN, 08/11 @ 9:30am EST. Going for 8TH STRAIGHT GOLD!

The thing that annoys me about Angel, is that she doesn’t see how veterans are annoyed about the push she’s getting too. They keep announcing, Angel Reese and the Sky. She isn’t a leader on the team yet.

I understand that stars sell, but she’s getting a push that she hasn’t earned either.

Guess I never looked at it that way but you have a point. Maybe she knows this and this might be the reason she hasn't really positioned herself in way of supporting Clark. (Not saying she SHOULD nor am I saying it's her responsibility. )

What high profile, mainstream sports media people do you think are even equipped to talk about this?

The people who are, like Bomani for example don’t have the platform of a Stephen A.

There’s been no room for a nuanced convo here by responsible and knowledgeable people on ESPN. Chiney and Perk are like the best that they have to offer right now, and they can touch on it from the athlete perspective but wouldn’t trust them to go fully in depth on the racial aspect.
Dan Patrick mentioned race this morning for about two seconds and then kept it moving.

I think he has nuanced convos on his show.

I just don’t think older white media people want to go down that road and ruin a feel good story for white America.

I don’t watch First Take anymore.

…I assume that SAS has said something?

I know a lot of you have been in this thread for years. That you dismissed the, “I can beat them” jerks that used to come and here and try to troll. That y’all know that nobody should be following Chennedy’s example, including Chennedy.

I gotta say that I’m already over all these men who haven’t paid any attention to the league, now showing up and trying to take over. Honestly, I don’t give two flying figs about what most of them think. I say this with respect, but when men come into a situation, they take out all the air out of the room.

I understand that this is part of the growth of the game, but all these hot garbage takes are mad annoying.

What high profile, mainstream sports media people do you think are even equipped to talk about this?

The people who are, like Bomani for example don’t have the platform of a Stephen A.

There’s been no room for a nuanced convo here by responsible and knowledgeable people on ESPN. Chiney and Perk are like the best that they have to offer right now, and they can touch on it from the athlete perspective but wouldn’t trust them to go fully in depth on the racial aspect.

LeBatard isnt on ESPN anymore but Im sure he would dive into this topic

Women’s basketball in general. UCONN/Iowa is the most viewed women’s basketball game ever. That’s largely because of Caitlin.
I agree that CC drove most of the audience. Forbes did a breakdown of the women’s tournament this year and even non CC games were doing huge numbers. The USC/LSU got 3.8 million views, South Carolina and Oregon got 3.1 million views and the final four game with NC State and South Carolina did 7.1 million views

Dan Patrick could.

I think Greeny "could" I just don't know if Greeny WILL. (Sadly he's surrounded by goofballs talkin random trivia instead of intelligent convos.) I think Mike&Mike as a show would have done well.

Dan Lebatard.

Bomani for sure

I think Inside the NBA could do it if given a half hour show to discuss random things. Ernie would be great, and Chuck/Kenny would be interesting enough.

Who's late night SportCenter dude now? He usually has thoughtful takes rather than hot ones.

Candace MF Buckner :emoji_fire:

It's worth reading every single word, and at the source (use archive.is if needed) because she hyperlinks a lot of the examples she gives.

Buckner starts it off with no punches pulled:

"We should all protect Caitlin Clark. She is the white knight galloping in to save the Dark Continent known as the WNBA, the singular star uplifting an entire women’s sports movement that only now matters because men are watching. She is the No. 1 draft pick learning the rigors of a professional league, but doing so with the same lean and slightly sinewy 152-pound frame from her college days — every time she’s double-teamed and trapped by grown women who refuse to view her as anything other than a scoring threat, the physical contact takes on a greater meaning."

Then later, this is the part where I was like OH!!!

"Because Clark is the linchpin drawing sellout crowds and groundbreaking ratings — the marketable star with the agreeable skin color and sexuality — her plight carries a sympathetic bent with her most loyal audience.
They don’t view her as the incredibly fierce woman who has no problem imploring a ref to “call a f---ing foul!” Nor simply as the deserving honoree of the WNBA’s rookie of the month, who despite leading the league with 5.4 turnovers a game and posting one of the lowest field goal percentage at .357, has still put up an impressive offensive line of 15.6 points and 6.4 assists per game. Her most compulsive fans have treated her struggles as cause to protest. Clark is only getting to the free throw line 4.4 times per game, and now they would really like to speak to a supervisor."

Definitely one to read.

Dan Patrick mentioned race this morning for about two seconds and then kept it moving.

I think he has nuanced convos on his show.

I just don’t think older white media people want to go down that road and ruin a feel good story for white America.

I don’t watch First Take anymore.

…I assume that SAS has said something?
Dan Patrick and SAS are NOT equipped to have that convo :lol:

Reactions: HIM
SAS wouldn’t criticize Jurrah Jones for supporting efforts to prevent integration. He is the last person I want to hear talk about race.

Back
Top Bottom